Old Time Radio

Kennywood

Kennywood
Does anyone else here enjoy old time radio shows? I'm glad that SiriusXM has a radio classics station.

My favorite radio series is the CBS Radio Mystery Theater. I was finally able to get all of the episodes on CDs.

For Christmas, my wife got a bunch of old time radio shows on CDs for me. Right now, I'm listening to the Superman shows. They apparently started off as 15-minute shows but eventually expanded to half-hour shows.

we love them and have several collections on cassette tapes. not as old as the classics but a very enjoyable listen for dh/ds a few years back was the 70's bbc radio production of 'hitchhikers guide to the galaxy'. they both love the book and to hear the radio show that gave birth to it was great (got it digitally so they could listen to/from school).

On this same topic, I remember when I was in high school a few kids were staying up to listen to Jean Shepherd On the radio. I never heard any of his broadcasts. Are they available anywhere?

On this same topic, I remember when I was in high school a few kids were staying up to listen to Jean Shepherd On the radio. I never heard any of his broadcasts. Are they available anywhere?

The Radio Spirits site shows a Jean Shepherd 4-CD collection. (Jean Shepherd: Ticket to Ride)

I'm so old we didn't have TV when I was a young child and listen to the radio shows. I do enjoy the Sirius XM radio classics.

Does anyone else here enjoy old time radio shows? I'm glad that SiriusXM has a radio classics station.

My favorite radio series is the CBS Radio Mystery Theater. I was finally able to get all of the episodes on CDs.

For Christmas, my wife got a bunch of old time radio shows on CDs for me. Right now, I'm listening to the Superman shows. They apparently started off as 15-minute shows but eventually expanded to half-hour shows.

When I was a kid, I'd listen to reruns of the old radio shows with my mom, when my dad was at work at night. In middle school, I took a class on radio shows; all we had to do was sit there and listen to the tapes. No tests or anything, lol. We could do homework from other classes or read or whatever, as long as we were quiet. It was the last year before retirement for that teacher, and I think he just wanted a class period that was quiet, haha.

Oh, and my favorite was The Shadow.

The closest thing I remember was the NPR broadcast of the Star Wars radio drama from the 80s, along with The Empire Strikes Back. It was commercial free, but was in the style of an old radio serial drama. The talent was also really good, including several of the original Star Wars actors like Mark Hamill, Anthony Daniels, and Billy Dee Williams. They also had some parts from Brock Peters, John Lithgow, and Perry King. I remember a small part by Adam Arkin.

In the 90s they finally did a version for Return of the Jedi, but couldn't quite get all the voice talent. I understand that was produced by the audio company looking to sell the CDs, but NPR did broadcast it.

Most of it seems to be available for free now, but way back I spend good money on the CD sets for these.

My son and I found the Old Time XM station on a road trip out to see the eclipse. He absolutely loves it, he's a teenager, and he now listens to it in his room. I found it funny that he thinks the advertisements are awesome because they actually tell you what the product is and what it does. It's a great station to pass the time on a road trip.

I listen to episodes of My Favorite Husband that are available as bonus features on various Lucille Ball series’ DVD sets, and to other bonus radio features (mostly interviews promoting the film) on various film DVDs.

When we’re at the Belle Vue Lounge at the Boardwalk Inn sometimes my boyfriend and I take our Manhattans away from our bar seats and go sit by one of the radios and listen to the programming for a round or three. We find that so relaxing in the evening.

Maybe not the old stuff, but there are quite a few new dramas done as podcasts. I didn't listen through it, but I did download one of the episodes of Homecoming with Oscar Isaac and Catherine Keener. I was watching the video version on Amazon Prime and wanted to get a feel for the differences.

NPR's "Prairie Companion" with Garrison Keller was a fav for a few decades of my life. Mr. Keller still has a podcast. Check NPR's schedule for shows/podcasts that might appeal to you. Not sure where you live or how strong your antennae is but WNYC has interesting programming as well.

My version of old time radio was Rick Dee's, Casey Kasem and Dr. Demento.

I have found memories of listening to music countdowns every week and making mixed tapes lol.

I listen to Casey Kasem’s Classic Countdowns every Sunday. Sunday morning is the ‘70s; Sunday evening is the ‘80s. Love them. Last week was the countdown for this week in 1975 (Mandy by Barry Manilow) and 1986 (That’s What Friends Are For by Dionne Warwick & Friends).

I wanted to get XM radio when we bought our car but DH didn't want to pay for radio until we had to rent a car and it was available. We listened to Old Time programs and he loved it. Came home and purchased one for the car. Have it ever since. Now we listen to Channel 73 which airs the music from the 40's. Both of us were born in the 50's. We listen to old radio programs, 40's music, 50's music, 60's and 70's. We even have it in the house and DH has it in the garage.

I wanted to get XM radio when we bought our car but DH didn't want to pay for radio until we had to rent a car and it was available. We listened to Old Time programs and he loved it. Came home and purchased one for the car. Have it ever since. Now we listen to Channel 73 which airs the music from the 40's. Both of us were born in the 50's. We listen to old radio programs, 40's music, 50's music, 60's and 70's. We even have it in the house and DH has it in the garage.

I was born in the 60s but grew up with my dad's taste in music. I also enjoy the music from the 40's. I'll occasionally listen to music from the 50's -- 70's. To me, that's when music stopped being music.

When I was a teenager in Pittsburgh, one of the radio stations used to broadcast the "CBS Radio Mystery Theater." My parents never had a problem with my going to bed because I'd lie there and listen to the show. Then I discovered other shows like "The Bickersons" and I was hooked.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter