Old magic band being used by new guest

LoveThatMouse!

DIS Veteran
we are making a spur of the moment trip, and an uncle who has never been to Disney is coming w us. If I order tix and receive via email, may I use an old magic band from another family member (who isn’t going) to link his ticket to; so that I may reserve fast passes for all of us ahead of time?

Since we don’t have time to receive a band for him by mail, I’m unsure how to book his FastPass ahead of time

we are making a spur of the moment trip, and an uncle who has never been to Disney is coming w us. If I order tix and receive via email, may I use an old magic band from another family member (who isn’t going) to link his ticket to; so that I may reserve fast passes for all of us ahead of time?

Since we don’t have time to receive a band for him by mail, I’m unsure how to book his FastPass ahead of time

You don't need Magic Bands to make or use Fastpasses. Not sure that you can re-link a band to someone else. Maybe @hiroMYhero can help with that.

In order to book FPs you just add him as a friend in your MDE profile and link his ticket to him.

You don't need the Magic Band to book FastPass, you only need the ticket. If you needed a MagicBand to book FastPasses, no new visitor would ever be able to book fastpasses at 60 days.

MBs can’t be used by new people.

But you don’t use MBs to book FPS. You use tickets. The MB isn’t relevant to booking them.

Ahhh thank you! I haven’t been on the board in several years but recognize your and @hiroMYhero names! Always so helpful! If I create an account for the Uncle on our my Disney experience, by using the email tix, what does Uncle show at gate and on rides? Must we stop at main gate for something for him? Was hoping to skip that process?

Ahhh thank you! I haven’t been on the board in several years but recognize your and @hiroMYhero names! Always so helpful! If I create an account for the Uncle on our my Disney experience, by using the email tix, what does Uncle show at gate and on rides? Must we stop at main gate for something for him? Was hoping to skip that process?
You can stop and pick up plastic ticket media which he can use to get in and to scan his fastpasses. Otherwise you can buy a magic band when you arrive that he can use instead.

You can link Uncle’s ticket to the person who isn’t going on the trip.

He uses that linked MB to enter the park and FP lines. You can change the name but it isn’t necessary - he can just “be” that person on your list.

Yeah, unfortunately you can't transfer the MagicBands.

It would be nice if there was a way in MDE to reassign a band, at least to someone in your friend's list...but no such luck.

No need to reassign at all in the OP’s case. Uncle just assumes a current Profile that isn’t in use.

Disney doesn’t care about names. All that matters is a valid ticket, valid FPs, and a real person. :)

You can link Uncle’s ticket to the person who isn’t going on the trip.

He uses that linked MB to enter the park and FP lines. You can change the name but it isn’t necessary - he can just “be” that person on your list.

Ahhhhh, thank you Hiro,! You always come thru! I was unsure if a fingerprint from original owner of the magic band would cause a hang up. We’ve got about 20 magic bands in a drawer from past trips. Again, thank you!

Ahhhhh, thank you Hiro,! You always come thru! I was unsure if a fingerprint from original owner of the magic band would cause a hang up. We’ve got about 20 magic bands in a drawer from past trips. Again, thank you!
Biometrics are linked to new tickets and in your Uncle’s case, he’s using a new ticket. :)

Biometrics are linked to new tickets and in your Uncle’s case, he’s using a new ticket. :)

Thank you so much for knowing and explaining! I’m an old mom who's been going to Disney since the 1990’s but things change so quickly now that’s it’s hard to stay up on all the changes. I feel for young moms and families trying to figure it all out now for the first time. So grateful for the DisBoards and the ability to get immediate responses!

I was unsure if a fingerprint from original owner of the magic band would cause a hang up.

The biometrics are not retained after the tickets have expired and every new ticket requires a new biometric scan. And nothing is retained on the band itself anyway - it just links to an account. But even if I use one of my old MBs for a new trip on the same old account, I still have to set up a new biometric for the new tickets.

The biometrics are not retained after the tickets have expired and every new ticket requires a new biometric scan. And nothing is retained on the band itself anyway - it just links to an account. But even if I use one of my old MBs for a new trip on the same old account, I still have to set up a new biometric for the new tickets.

If I have 4 magic bands with my name on it from previous trips, does it matter which of the 4 bands I use for this trip for myself?

If I have 4 magic bands with my name on it from previous trips, does it matter which of the 4 bands I use for this trip for myself?

No, but keep in mind that the battery will eventually die, which means it won't be functional for certain things like ride pictures, so I wouldn't use one that is more than a couple of years old.

No need to reassign at all in the OP’s case. Uncle just assumes a current Profile that isn’t in use.

Disney doesn’t care about names. All that matters is a valid ticket, valid FPs, and a real person. :)

I was actually going to ask the same question although I anticipated Hiro's answer was how it was. Our new au pair actually has the same name as our old au pair. We have several magic bands for her with no current tickets so I figure we can just change the last name on the account (even though that's not really needed either), link the new ticket and let her use the band. I know we don't "need" to but the bands are nice to have rather than using the ticket.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!