Old Key West!

mickeymouse#1

Earning My Ears
We're looking at booking here but have a few questions...

The room is a deluxe studio. The 1br is just out of our price range. What are the views from these rooms and how far away are these rooms from the buses and the food court area.

I read that the refill station is outside. Is that true?

This is a Disney resort that does the Magical Express, right? For some reason we're under the impression that it doesn't. (But I also can't find anywhere saying it does)

And finally, does Old Key West normally participate in the room only discounts offered early Jan-April? I didn't take notice when we were booking our trip this year so this last one is just me being impatient to see if they will for next year.

This resort is our backup resort if you will. We would like to do a split with WL but won't decide until room only discounts are released. After reading posts here, it sounds like WL might be booked before we're able to book the split so OKW might be our back up. Thanks in advance!

We got the January discount this year for room only. We don't do packages or the dining plan, but got the Visa discount that came out - I think, so don't quote me! - at the end of September.

We love OKW! Have only stayed in 2BR, so can't help with the studio view, but we always ask for golf course view and have been pleased! Also don't use Magic Express so can't answer that either - sorry!

I had a deluxe studio on the main road across from the main pool, the view from my balcony was the Hospitality House. The bus stop was right next door.

There are studios throughout, so your views will vary.
Magical express does run to OKW
The only counter service is outside, so yes, the beverage station is, but covered.
It's a beautiful resort, we haven't stayed there yet, but spent a good deal of time walking around checking it out for the future. I have to admit, the lack of a decent counter service is my major hang up.

Views aren't bookable at OKW. With Disney, when view isn't bookable, this is usually a signal about what to expect.

The views at Old Key West are all nice IMO. Rooms are in a somewhat circular pattern. Parking is in front of your building so every room has a front door view of the parking lot, but the balcony/patio view of every room that I know of will be of a garden, golf course, pond, or canal. Resort is spread out so although there are some rooms close to the main pool/food court most will be further/far out. There are several smaller pools located throughout the resort. Buses stop at multiple locations so most rooms are not very far from a bus stop and I assume you could take the bus up to the food court/main pool if you wish. Sometimes buses are reported to be slow/sparse at OKW but I have not had this problem. Lovely calm, relaxing resort. Larger studios than most Disney resorts. We love OKW.

I would look at an online OKW map for an idea if the resort layout.

We stayed in a studio in December and ended up being pretty far from the main house. Like PP said, the studios are throughout. It was definitely walkable but furthur than I prefer.

You can call Disney and request close to hospitality house as a location. We stayed right across the parking lot from hospitality house for a night in a studio before the rest of our group arrived for an AKV stay. It was nice and a really relaxing atmosphere. The room was quite large. We were on the ground floor, so the balcony view wasn't the best, but it was still okay with trees. As an FYI, a lot of OKW buildings do not have elevators, so if that's important, request a location that does have one or request ground floor.

All WDW resorts that are true Disney properties have Magical Express.

Also be aware that OKW is rumored to be due for a major refurbishment next year, with both hard and soft good replacement.

We rented points and stayed in an OKW studio for my 40th birthday trip. I did request ground floor, since most of the buildings don't have elevators, and we got a room on the ground floor. It was right across from the Turtle Pond Road bus station, but a long way from the main building. Our room backed up to a lake, but it was January and we didn't go on the patio much. The windows of the living room next door were right there by the patio so there was no privacy out there. It was very quiet, and the room was comfortable. We almost always use the Disney buses, and we did feel like it took a long time to navigate through the complex, both coming and going. All in all, we enjoyed our stay there. It was much cheaper for us to rent points to stay at OKW than to get our regular room at a Moderate for the week we were there because it was early January and still high season for the resorts, but low points for DVC.

I did one night at a studio. With online check in I requested close to hospitality house. I got in one of the small number of buildings across the parking lot from the hospitality. Ground floor, enclosed patio was on the golf course. Nice. Quiet.

I think I got a room-only discount, but I'm not entirely certain.

Did a little research and yes, I did. Let me copy-paste from my confirmation email:

Special Offer: Late Summer Room Offer
Hotel Confirmation Number: [dont think I should share]

resort.png

Disney's Old Key West Resort

September 26 (Sat), 2015 - September 27 (Sun), 2015

Deluxe Studio

1 Adult

Disney's Magical Express Service

Date Rate per Night
Sep. 26 Saturday $260.40

OKW does NOT have a food court. It has a very small, limited choices, window for Quick Serve.

OKW does NOT have a food court. It has a very small, limited choices, window for Quick Serve.

Yes - you order at the window then sit out at the tables that line the pool area, or you can carry your stuff down a little ways and sit by the waterway where the boats dock.

In January, we tried several things from the QS. The pulled pork sandwich was absolutely fine! Not tons of pork but flavorful topped with cole slaw. I had the typical WDW chicken nugget plate with fries and if you love WDW chicken nuggets (okay, so I do!) you will be happy. We tried the jerk chicken bowl - DD liked it but I thought it had a weird sour taste. The cold sandwiches are, well, COLD! Like frozen cold. Burgers were also absolutely fine!

And of course they have Mickey Ice cream bars in the gift shop! Woot woot!!!!

We recently stayed there, May 2017, prior to a Disney Cruise and were pleased. Having stayed at other DVC studios I will state that having the 2 queen beds over a pullout was a major plus for 3 people. We were satisfied with the QS and dining as we didn't spend too much time at the resort. Based upon past experience with other DVC studios this is definitely on our list for a "go to" for a DVC studio for 3-4 people.

We are major OKW fans, but the counter service at Good's can be very slow. The food is basically okay, although we would opt for Olivia's in a heartbeat.

OKW is a DVC resort and not a hotel. It does not have a hotel connected to it like many of the DVC resorts. It is completely owned by members (member of the Disney Vacation Club, Disney's version of a timeshare), but Disney Reservation Center will be able to reserve a villa at OKW for cash. Members trade out their points at the DVC resorts for non-DVC vacation and this is how DVC pays for their trips. Only three buildings have elevators and much of the time these buildings are reserved for guests with medical needs. "Near Hospitality House" is a booking category for DVC members using points for their stays. It can be rare for a cash booking to get one of these three buildings, not impossible, but rare. OKW was the first DVC resort, so since each unit has either a kitchenette or a full kitchen, no true quick service dining was built, only Goods to Go which is the counter service at the main pool. It was always expected that guests would eat in their villas, except maybe when they were at the pool. There is another counter service that is located at the Turtle Pond pool, but it is only open seasonally with shorter hours. It has a very limited menu.

Most of the studios are located at the ends of the buildings and are connected to a one bedroom villa so the two units can either be combined as a two bedroom lockoff or reserved separately. There are a few larger buildings (square U shape) where studios can be found at the bend of the building. Those studios do not have a window by the entrance door to the villa like all the rest. They only have the porch door for sunlight into the room.

You can find out more about OKW by visiting the DVC Boards on The DIS.

terrible QS options. Its time for Disney to fix that because the resort is wonderful. One of our favorites!

terrible QS options. Its time for Disney to fix that because the resort is wonderful. One of our favorites!
Nope, owners would have to pay for that unless it is self sustaining. There isn't space to make it bigger and include inside dining. Just prepare your own snacks in your villa or use the grills to cook a burger or hot dog.

Nope, owners would have to pay for that unless it is self sustaining. There isn't space to make it bigger and include inside dining. Just prepare your own snacks in your villa or use the grills to cook a burger or hot dog.

Well that stinks. I think Disney should put in a self sustaining one.

Well that stinks. I think Disney should put in a self sustaining one.
OKW was built as the first Disney Vacation Club (timeshare). It was meant to be a "home away from home" resort and that members would prepare many of their meals in their units. It was not built as a "hotel", although it does have some traditional hotel amenities.
Denise

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter