Old Key West: To stay or not to stay?

miissawi

Earning My Ears
I am extremely torn. We are starting to get ideas for our 2020 vacation. We will be using vacation club points but it is difficult to get standard rooms to save money. We are looking at Old Key West and I am just not sure. I know I can request near hospitality house which may not be bad but it seems as though the quick service options are limited and I have read they run out of food items from time to time. I go with my mom who is in her 70’s and brother with disabilities, as well as my two children 8 & 12 with my hubby. Seems like it is mostly outside and we are looking at January which is a very iffy month for weather. The pool looks nice as do the rooms but i feel that i maybe running around for the food to bring back to the room due to lack of eating spots. The price is very affordable, but would love to hear others thoughts on this resort. As a side note it seems similar tin saratoga and while the rooms were nice and the food was good. We were so far from the food area and not crazy about the numerous stops. Any thoughts???

I love OKW but, if you need to use quick service a lot, this is not the resort for you. The quick service has an extremely limited menu. It doesn't bother me because I don't eat at the resort often, if at all but it sounds like you do. The rooms are great and I love the main pool and the quiet pools. You should also know that there are several bus stops at OKW so if you didn't love that about Saratoga, you might love it at OKW. And, for park buses, the hospitality house is the LAST stop on the way to the parks so the bus can be full in the am.

It sounds like you are considering a two bedroom villa at OKW. Don't forget you'll have a full kitchen at your disposal so you can avoid going to Goods To Go for quick service.

You can also order pizza delivery (salads, subs, etc). Bring some food storage items, you can re-heat in your kitchen. Also, DS is just a boat ride away with lots of options for "take out".

I would get a rental car and go grocery shopping to make food, if your trip is focused on the resort. OKW is very nice, with big rooms. With a rental car you can take the family to other quick services around WDW, too.

I love OKW but, if you need to use quick service a lot, this is not the resort for you. The quick service has an extremely limited menu. It doesn't bother me because I don't eat at the resort often, if at all but it sounds like you do. The rooms are great and I love the main pool and the quiet pools. You should also know that there are several bus stops at OKW so if you didn't love that about Saratoga, you might love it at OKW. And, for park buses, the hospitality house is the LAST stop on the way to the parks so the bus can be full in the am.

I liked OKW and it was the best choice for my crew on our last trip, however I agree with everything on the quoted post. This is a true home away from home Disney resort, and the guests there use it that way. The quick serve is for a convenience, and while the food was alwasy fresh and tasty, the menus are limited.

The community center was open if it was raining so there is an option to dine inside in inclement weather, however the picnic tables suffice for outdoor dining normally. If you plan to use the QS for breakfast it is best to plan it as the last stop before you get on the bus for the parks. We normally have breakfast, go back to he room and then would head out for the parks, but that plan is not realistic at OKW.

Before you finalize plans look at how you like to tour when at DIsney, and make sure that you take into account how the disability may affect all of you there. This is a large resort while it offers the most relaxing and spacious lodging, complete with stunning grounds, it is large. Transportation can be cumbersome. WE adjusted our normal grab and go coffee in the morning by making coffee in our villa, and keeping food there for the mornings to hold us to the next meal.It is not impossible to run back and forth for meals, but it is not a fun plan. WE used Lyft a lot because we liked to go to the resort in the afternoons before heading back out at dinnertime. Make sure you are realistic in your expectations, because I can tell you that if you go in expecting it to be like POFQ you will be sorely disappointed. If you want a bright airy villa, plenary of space to spread out, beautiful views from the back porch, and every convenience of home, this is the resort for you. If you want the amenities close by, you might want to rethink the decision, book at POFQ, the most compact DIsney resort. that one can answere almost all of your needs, IMO.

Heard that they have switched over from small bottles of shampoo etc to dispensers in the bathrooms.:confused: I had read that DVC will be doing this at the resorts, but hadn't heard of implementation yet. Anyone hear other DVC resorts that have made the switch? :confused:Thanks!:goodvibes

You can also order pizza delivery (salads, subs, etc). Bring some food storage items, you can re-heat in your kitchen. Also, DS is just a boat ride away with lots of options for "take out".
Have never stayed at OKW, but booked here in August. How far is DS on the boat?:confused: Thanks!

Have never stayed at OKW, but booked here in August. How far is DS on the boat?:confused: Thanks!

IIRC it's about a 10-12 minute ride, where SSR is about 5 minutes. Very relaxing!

Not exactly sure about the big bottles but I think so. YEAH. Less plastic.

OP, OKW does not have elevators either. You mentioned a brother with disabilities so you should be aware. You could request a ground floor room and most likely get it, but if not, can he do stairs?

OKW does have elevators in the newest buildings - 62-64 ( I think) which are in the Near HH category.

Love OKW. We use Garden Grocer to have groceries delivered, as we eat breakfast at "home" for the most part (maybe one nice breakfast at Olivia's!). Goods to Go is fine for burgers or chicken nuggets/fries for a quick meal. There are also limited groceries at the gift shop - including Mickey Bars!. The 2 bedroom is huge - and the balcony is a great place to have a meal. You will have all kinds of weather in January, and it may be too cool to swim in the pool, or it could be sunny and hot. You won't know to the week before you go, so better off waiting to pack - :D

We grocery shop with Publix, who uses Instacart for delivery. The prices aren't bad and I think your first delivery is free. We would certainly like OKW to upgrade and add some sort of food court/ quick service similar to SSR.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter