Old Key West; is it rough not having elevators?

First, good luck getting a room in an elevator building. We've asked the last 5-6 times, and the ONLY time we got our request was when a manager had to move us due to maintenance issues (we also got FP+s and $100 credit, but I loved the elevator building most). One time we were on the third floor with two toddlers and a stroller, and I was just barely able to climb stairs. What were we thinking not asking for first floor? And like others here, we've always had bell services bring our luggage up/down stairs.
Most of the time they try to hold the elevator buildings for medical needs. So if you don't indicate any medical needs, you might not get them.
We had one of those studios in building 35 and after a day in the park it seemed to take forever to get up to the room. I really felt sorry for the families with sleeping kids and a stroller to bring up. Plus the studio didn't have the extra window that most studios have and the view was of shrubbery and trees. I turned the lights on during daylight hours to bring some light into the room. . We do not stay at OKW anymore due to my knee problems as I want an elevator in a building because requests are not guarantees.
We had them twice, Bldg 18 and Bldg 35. Now we just request a ground level floor if we book a studio.

Thanks Bill, you're right, my mistake, I forgot that Disney has 3 story buildings with no elevators. I'll just have to try and enjoy the HH GV this Thanksgiving. BTW, elevator isn't a concern anymore, Mom went into hospice this morning

Thanks Bill, you're right, my mistake, I forgot that Disney has 3 story buildings with no elevators. I'll just have to try and enjoy the HH GV this Thanksgiving. BTW, elevator isn't a concern anymore, Mom went into hospice this morning

Sorry to hear that. Sending prayers your way.

So sorry about your mother. Hope you have a nice Thanksgiving though.

We have stayed there multiple times w/ our triplets. - strollers, luggage etc. It wasn't difficult, but it's relative to your fitness level and desire for physical activity.

We had one of those studios in building 35 and after a day in the park it seemed to take forever to get up to the room. I really felt sorry for the families with sleeping kids and a stroller to bring up. Plus the studio didn't have the extra window that most studios have and the view was of shrubbery and trees. I turned the lights on during daylight hours to bring some light into the room. . We do not stay at OKW anymore due to my knee problems as I want an elevator in a building because requests are not guarantees.

That's another feature of those buildings, no window. I had one in 35 once but it was first floor. Worked out well for us because it was 4 women in the room and the mirror in place of the window helped.

*When I saw the alert, I was thinking this thread didn't sound familiar. I guess because I originally posted 7 years ago!

I have always requested first floor or elevator building and I have always gotten what I ask for. When I book for my sister without that request, she has never gotten first floor, she does not need it, so, it’s fine, but it tells me that maybe they save those first floor villas for those that request and need them. It would be very hard for me to deal with steps, so for me, OKW is my last choice of on site resorts.

They are pretty gentle stairs, I don't like 3rd floor. 1st or 2nd is OK. I would not want to be hauling wheelchairs or large, heavyweight strollers up the stairs, though.

They are pretty gentle stairs, I don't like 3rd floor. 1st or 2nd is OK. I would not want to be hauling wheelchairs or large, heavyweight strollers up the stairs, though.
We drive to WDW we just put the stroller in the vehicle when we come back when we stay at OKW. No carrying it up stairs, the vehicle is right there. Wheelchair is a different story though.

We drive to WDW we just put the stroller in the vehicle when we come back when we stay at OKW. No carrying it up stairs, the vehicle is right there. Wheelchair is a different story though.

But this doesn't help the guests arriving MDE and will not have a car at WDW.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter