OKWer's observations of BWV...

Lew

DIS Veteran
We returned from our first BWV stay on Friday, October 12th. We're members at OKW and my daughter and her husband are members at BWV. We transferred some of our OKW points to their account so we could stay in a two-bedroom standard view unit for two weeks.

We had a wonderful vacation and BWV is a beautiful resort. However, as an OKWer it's impossible to stay at BWV without making comparisons with our home resort. Here are a few of my observations:
  • Location: Can't be beat! BWV's proximity to Epcot and MGM is very convenient. Although we always rent a vehicle and have no problem driving almost everywhere we need to go while staying at OKW, BWV's location is a big plus.
  • Valet parking: Although they did "misplace" our vehicle once, overall they did a fine job. Having said that, using valet parking (or self-parking at BWV...it's a long walk) is a hassle. At OKW we park close to our room so getting to and from our vehicle is quick and easy. No phone calls to valet services, no tips, no lost vehicle, no incorrectly billing us $6.00 for valet parking...
  • As we all know, the one-bedroom unit at BWV is much smaller than at OKW. The bedroom is a little smaller, but not enough to make a difference. The layout of the bathroom, although different, works well. The whirlpool tub at BWV is quite a bit smaller than those at OKW.
  • The kitchen / living room area is just plain tiny. Two people can't work together comfortably in the kitchen. The refrigerator is tiny and does not have an ice maker (also, there was no ice maker to be found on the fifth floor).
  • The clothes washer / dryer is in the living room area. It's quite loud which makes carrying on a conversation or listening to the TV quite difficult. The laundry room at OKW is away from the living area and has a door that can be closed.
  • At OKW there is a sofa, love seat, and chair in the living room area. BWV has a sofa and chair...not enough seating for five people to sit around and talk or watch TV.
  • The tiny balconies at BWV are just a decoration and useless IMHO. We really enjoy breakfast on the balcony of our one-bedroom units at OKW...can't do that at BWV. We really missed our large balcony on this trip.
  • View: With a standard view room we knew we would be overlooking the parking lot or some other less than desirable view. In eleven stays at OKW we have never had a poor view...I don't know that there are any.
  • The studio part of the two-bedroom was about the same size as those at OKW. Although we like the layout at BWV better, my daughter prefers the studio at OKW
  • The quiet pool is quite nice; however, they were installing scaffolding in that area so we switched to the main pool. The main pool is very nice...the slide was a big attraction with our crew. The food service at the main OKW pool is far superior to that at BWV. BWV's menu is very limited whereas the menu at Goods to Go is quite extensive when you include the availability of Olivia's menu.
Once again, we had a wonderful vacation at BWV. We'll fully intend to return to BWV for a future vacation...

Lew, I am a BWV owner who has stayed at OKW and enjoyed its many attributes, too. This is another thing I like about DVC - there are many options for us. I have enjoyed staying at OKW for the relaxed atmosphere, the parking at the door, and the spaciousness of the rooms but I sure love the location at BWV! Someday I would like to own points at OKW, too! Glad you enjoyed your time together as a family!

Hey Lew - We own at both OKW and BWV and DITTO!! all your comments!

I am an owner at OKW and have stayed at BWV, and I think each has their positive and negatve aspects. I think that OKW gives me a feel of a more relaxing vacation...you know, lounging around the pool, or sitting on the balcony...more laid back. At BWV, I feel like I'm in the middle of it all...dancing,dining,parks. Sort of like the difference between going to Vermont or Manhattan, if you know what I mean. Each has their pros and cons, depending on the type of experience you're looking for on a particular trip. If DH and I are going alone, we tend to stay in OKW. If we are going with a group, we tend to want to be closer to the action! That's the beauty of the DVC!!!! :D

Fabulous info. for someone who has not yet purchased (us)! I've been lurking around these boards for the past couple of weeks trying to read as many opinions as I can. I think I need about a zillion points at both BWV and OKW!
Wendy

Wenandray,
We all feel that way some times!

Thanks for your observations, Lew. I know we would love the BWV location as well, but I just can't give up those other amenities you mention about OKW that we love. Location isn't everything, and I like to feel more in control, so having access to my vehicle without a hassle and the balcony and quiet are VERY important to me. That is what is so nice about DVC. We can make our choices.

We were leaning towards BWV, but now I'm not so sure. Seems like we'd have more room at OKW (We have 4 kids so that would be a plus), and OKW would be quieter at bedtime. (Or would it? I'm just assuming BWVs are noisy at times from the Boardwalk). What's the pool like at OKW? Just a normal pool? The one at BWV looks neat with the scary clown (ha) slide. Also, having a car right there would be nice, but how much is parking at the parks? Do DVCers get a parking discount or anything? From OKW is it a hassle using WDW Transp. to get to MK, EC, and MGM? Do I have too many questions?!

WenNRay, as to your questions:

1. OKW is quiet particularly at night as it sits around a golf course, although you can hear the busses from a number of rooms. BWV can be active or quiet depending on where you are. For example, the rooms that overlook the "quiet" pool area tend to be very quiet as few visit that area. Rooms over the boardwalk can hear noise when the balcony doors are open but hardly hear anything when they are closed.

2. Rooms at OKW are larger, although studios only by a little. Bedroom sizes in others are about the same. The difference is the living room/kitchen area where OKW has the larger space. Nevertheless, the BWV 2BR's are very comfortable for 6.

3. The pool at OKW is OK but has no slide. The BWV pool has the 200 foot winding Keister Coaster slide which kids love. There is also a playground (mat floor) near the pool area.

4. If you have a car and stay on site there is no charge for parking anywhere (unless you valet park at a non-DVC resort; valet parking is free to DVC member's at BWV and VWL). At OKW travel to parks is by bus if you do not use your car. It is OK although time between busses can be long mid-day. At BWV, you can walk to Epcot or MGM (or take boat) and bus elsewhere.

Have you looked into VWL as well? What are the ages of your kids?

looks great, too, but being from Denver (so close to the actual Rockies) it just seems like we should go for something that has a different theme to it. The girls are 10, 9, and 3...our son is 1. I'm also thinking BWVs or OKW might be less expensive to own...I almost think hubby and I need to fly down and tour all three to make up our minds before we buy. I want it all!
Wendy

WenNRay - in case you're not aware, if you want to buy at BWV and/or OKW you need to go resale. Both of those are sold out.

WenNRay,
We have 5 children and we bought into Disney BWV the year that BWV opened. We also own at OKW and have stayed in both many tiimes over the years. We have not had a problem with noise at the BWV, the only complaint I would have is the boat horn when we are in certain rooms, but then I have also had rooms in OKW where it sounded like the bus would be pulling into my room at any minute, so it does depend on where your room is located. The OKW 2 bdrm is larger than the BWV, but we have never had a problem staying at the BW,( even in the smaller room). In fact our children prefer BW. They like the slide at the pool, they LOVE the Community Hall which has N64 video games, as well as arcade games, a computer ping-pong, foosball, planned activities etc.. They like being able to walk over to SAB to swim in that pool , and eating at Beaches and Cream. When we pull into the BW the kids are so psyched, they feel like they're home!
Our children like OKW, but they LOVE BWV.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter