OKW vs SSR

Can_Dannn

Mouseketeer
Hi - everyone's hands as raw as mine?

Wondering how OKW compares to SSR?
We have a booked trip in Aug 2020 - 4 nights at OKW studio.
Points are the same whether we stay at OKW or SSR, so wondering which is better?

Plans for the trip are Moonlight Magic (if we can get tickets), pools, water parks and meals. No parks this trip

THOUGHTS? RECOMMENDATIONS?

I'm an OKW vet (1996) and we sold our SSR (not our vibe), however you will have access from SSR to DS by the walking path or boat which may be appealing in terms of access for meals since there isn't much at OKW, especially if you don't have a car.

OKW studio has two queen beds, so, no sofa bed to watch TV from. OKW only has three buildings with elevators.

SSR has outside corridors, but has elevators. I do like the counter service at SSR.

Personally, I pick SSR usually, but there have been times that I have stayed in OKW. When I stay in OKW, I ask for first floor or elevator building because I have difficulty climbing steps. It’s only a request, unless you book HA, and I have been fortunate, I have always gotten one or the other. Usually it is a first floor villa.

Have you taken a look at the pictures? That will be a big help. I like both resorts, but stay at OKW because the living room is larger, but that won't concern you. The fact that you will come back to a room with no couch is what I don't like about OKW studios.

For a non theme park visit. SSR is our choice hands down. Nothing beats walking over to Disney Springs and more importantly walking back from Disney Springs.

As others had said it's all about the vibe you're looking for. They are both pretty spread out and if you're looking for a more relaxed feel then OKW is the way to go. It feels like old Florida with a Margarita vibe.It's a quick boat ride to DS if you'd like.

Points are the same whether we stay at OKW or SSR, so wondering which is better?

Plans for the trip are Moonlight Magic (if we can get tickets), pools, water parks and meals. No parks this trip

Compares, is kinda relative...
Both are equally great in there own way. Just different feels as a PP stated. It appears that SSR is more spread out ,but that could be wrong.

OKW is definitely laid back & very relaxing, while SSR is/has some of the most beautiful grounds.

Foodwise:
They both have hidden gems TBH for the sit down meals...Equally great.
but the QS portions are way more a plenty at SSR.

Decor:
OKW
just finished their refurb, and SSR is in the midst of it. Preferred section will be completely done when you go. Keep in mind though that SSR now will have the big queen murphy style bed with a thicker style mattress now.

Pools:
They both have pretty good pools, OKW has 1 main pools & 3 reg. pools while SSR has 2 feature pools & 2 quiet pools..I give the edge to SSR TBH.

Convenience: (to DS)
Unless you are walking there, then the boat from either place is a nice relaxing trip . I actually enjoy the trip from OKW, it has some narrow canals and it seems way more secluded. but obviously SSR is quicker/closer.

Buses:
Both have been pretty good. True they are both larger resorts, but TBH I don't recall there ever being a problem @ either. Buses seem to be at a plenty.
No matter which that you choose, I'm sure you'll have a great time. Enjoy!:thumbsup2

I’m surprised at the responses- seems more of a push for SSR and that is surprising because a lot of people who don’t own at SSR hate it: weird

I love OKW! Feels like a real Florida experience and the rooms are huge. BUT I would choose SSR Preferred to be able to walk to Disney Springs because of the food situation. OKW is the worse for food options. If not that, I'd stay at OKW as long as you have a car or you'll def want a Near Hospitality House room.

I agree on everything. Big thing with SSR though- is you can do the pfd rooms for more points and stay in congress park and walk to DS simply. However, you can stay with standard points and be in the 8501 building of the grandstand, be 90 seconds from the boat, 2 minutes from the main pool and also walk to DS across the golf course bridge. We just happened to be there a few years ago and realized how perfect it was. No, we didn't look across at DS, we looked at a golf hole, but it was so relaxing and wonderful and saved us points.

I am for OKW all the way. The rooms are spacious and beautiful. The food options are better at OKW with Olivia's cafe being a great food option. It beats out the turf club. Also it has a cute little merchandise store. It's not in the food court like SSR. The grounds are beautiful and the resort has a great relaxing atmosphere.

They are both pretty similar in many ways. I see good things about both. As for vibe of the resort, that's a personal opinion... me I loved the laid back vibe of OKW. SSR theming and overall vibe just wasn't my thing. As for amenities, SSR was better. It's quick service location was better... proximity to Disney Springs is great... I love the pool options here as well. At OKW, I love the fact that the studios are large and have 2 dedicated queen beds in the studios. I also love Olivia's restaurant. I wouldn't hesitate to stay at both.

All I know (never stayed at SSR) is that we were in Gurgling Suitcase once, there was a guy telling everyone within earshot about how his friend was staying at SSR, but after the first night, he was waiting for a room to open up at OKW because he was so unhappy. I didn't ask him why-I had the feeling that would have led to a very lengthy answer.

Op, thanks for posing this question. I have a similar dilemma. We rescheduled May trip to October. The only thing available for 2BR for our dates is SSR or OKW. I stayed at OKW once before and really liked the vibe. Right now I have SSR booked which would be a new experience for us. So trying to gauge if I should stay with SSR or move to OKW. Glad to be getting some input here.

The differences to me are:

Vibe: OKW is "island time", while SSR is "casual elegance."
QS options: SSR has a much better selection, and indoor seating.
OKW 1BR and above have *huge* balconies/patios that are much better suited for hanging out.
OKW's rooms are bigger.
OKW has two queens in the studio/smaller side of lockoff, SSR has a queen and a sofabed.
SSR has much easier access to Disney Springs, but OKW's boat there is very pleasant.
SSR's pools seem a little more active with more amenities, while OKW's are a bit more sedate and simple, particularly the quiet pools.

I like them both for different reasons but I like OKW a bit more.

The differences to me are:

Vibe: OKW is "island time", while SSR is "casual elegance."
QS options: SSR has a much better selection, and indoor seating.
OKW 1BR and above have *huge* balconies/patios that are much better suited for hanging out.
OKW's rooms are bigger.
OKW has two queens in the studio/smaller side of lockoff, SSR has a queen and a sofabed.
SSR has much easier access to Disney Springs, but OKW's boat there is very pleasant.
SSR's pools seem a little more active with more amenities, while OKW's are a bit more sedate and simple, particularly the quiet pools.

I like them both for different reasons but I like OKW a bit more.
Ditto to everything he ^^^ said..

If only OKW could add on and make another QS/ grab n go /sit down type of place, rather than the outdoor walk up counter that would sway me, as well as a lil bigger bar area...My neighbor literally has the same size if not bigger (BAR) in his basement...LoL. It's quite cozy though. OKW that is.
Also Their store is awesome...:thumbsup2

Everyone has their preferences - but we love the beauty of the grounds, pools, and location of SSR. We like the Grandstand or Paddock sections. For us a "must have" are elevators if assigned to a higher floor and that is guaranteed at SSR.

Ditto to everything he ^^^ said..

If only OKW could add on and make another QS/ grab n go /sit down type of place, rather than the outdoor walk up counter that would sway me, as well as a lil bigger bar area...My neighbor literally has the same size if not bigger (BAR) in his basement...LoL. It's quite cozy though. OKW that is.
Also Their store is awesome...:thumbsup2
But can you order food from Olivia’s at your neighbors bar? I agree it is too small, as well as Goods To Go. It needs to be bigger with more options and indoors. I don’t see any spot where they can do this tho.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!