OKW Questions

SwanVT2

DIS Veteran
Can you walk to DS from OKW? How far is the farthest room at OKW to the main pool? Thank you.

Technically, you can walk anywhere to anywhere but I wouldn't walk from OKW to DS. It would involve walking through/across many roads and or waterways.

We stayed in the backof Turtle pond right by the pool and I could walk to the main pool (or bar in my case) in ten minutes. Would think you could add another 5 minutes if you were the back end of Peninsular Road. Always busses coming and every one of them stops at the main house so if you don't want to walk, just grab any bus at all.

You can walk to Disney Springs, partially through the golf course, I think you have to wait for golf carts playing through and can't go onto certain parts of the golf course. But it is not a short walk and I don't think it's set up for walking at night.

You can walk to Disney Springs, partially through the golf course, I think you have to wait for golf carts playing through and can't go onto certain parts of the golf course. But it is not a short walk and I don't think it's set up for walking at night.

This is true, it is set up to walk on a path. It's about 45 minutes? I know there was a thread about this within the last month but I can't find it right now. I don't believe the path is lit. There is a boat that goes from OKW to DS and also a bus depending on the time of day, so you have a lot of options.

Technically, you can walk anywhere to anywhere but I wouldn't walk from OKW to DS. It would involve walking through/across many roads and or waterways.

We stayed in the backof Turtle pond right by the pool and I could walk to the main pool (or bar in my case) in ten minutes. Would think you could add another 5 minutes if you were the back end of Peninsular Road. Always busses coming and every one of them stops at the main house so if you don't want to walk, just grab any bus at all.

I actually think you aren't allowed to walk on some roads around Disney if there is not a sidewalk.

This is true, it is set up to walk on a path. It's about 45 minutes? I know there was a thread about this within the last month but I can't find it right now. I don't believe the path is lit. There is a boat that goes from OKW to DS and also a bus depending on the time of day, so you have a lot of options.
Oh, good to know that there is a boat. That sounds fun. I am trying to decide between OKW and Saratoga for a more relaxed vacation, less park time, and like the idea of going to DS for dining/shopping.

We stayed at OKW in December and I loved the laid back atmosphere. Have never stayed at SSR so can't offer advice there. SSR is MUCH closer to DS, many rooms within close walking distance.

never mind my original reply as I am behind the time on the abbreviations. I took DS to mean Disney Studios (DHS), not Springs. Boat is the best option. Love the boat to springs (still shopping village/downtown Disney to me). Took the boat there for supper almost every night of our last trip.

My friend and I are trying to convince her DH to stay at OKW.....what are some of the major plusses and what building would you recommend?

He wanted to stay here until he read(?) that the busses from OKW to the parks can take anywhere upwards of a 40-minute wait....

The reply from a mod on the DVC boards was accurate: long bus waits "can" happen at any Disney resort but are pretty rare. In my experience as an owner, OKW delays are pretty rare.

OKW - like all deluxe resorts - has electronic boards that give you an idea of what to expect for the next bus to arrive for a given park.

The reply from a mod on the DVC boards was accurate: long bus waits "can" happen at any Disney resort but are pretty rare. In my experience as an owner, OKW delays are pretty rare....
...I would think that [and not saying whether it's "fair" or not] is that WDW might be a bit more 'accommodating' towards DVC owners, especially since OKW is strictly "villas", or DVC (no 'typical' resort attached)...

I don't see OKW guests being treated better or worse - bus issues just tend to be more logistical. Traffic, bus maintenance, changing drivers, scooter loading and such can push things behind schedule... but generally, the system works pretty well most of the time.

I don't see OKW guests being treated better or worse - bus issues just tend to be more logistical. Traffic, bus maintenance, changing drivers, scooter loading and such can push things behind schedule... but generally, the system works pretty well most of the time.
....agreed....

My group is staying at OKW in May. I've never stayed here before but I have done my fair share of research. Her are some of the positives.
- Great location to Disney Springs (including the boat ride over).
- Largest DVC room sizes on site.
- Quiet and laid back atmosphere (a nice way to relax after the parks).
- My personal favorite is the extra large bathtub (not in studios).

For SSR
- Closer to Disney Springs (still a very expansive resort).
- Smaller rooms (some of the smallest DVC, if I remember correctly)

We picked a 1 bedroom villa and I'm hoping for the block of buildings near hospitality house without actually being in HH (buildings 62, 63, 64, 16). I've read that it's very unlikely to get HH rooms, without having booked with DVC points for HH specifically. I hear 27-29 are close too.

Buildings 62,63, & 64 are the only ones with elevators, which lowers my odds of getting one but I'm still hoping. :)
The rest of the units are stairs only so ask for first floor, unless you don't mind walking up.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter