OKW or HIFS?

Tracie Wallace

Mouseketeer
Will be visiting Florida 11/30 - 12/8. Will first stay at Hard Rock Hotel for 2 nights (Entertainment discount) and then on to AKL for 3 nights (concierge Level with AP discount). DD (5 yrs), DH and myself will be joined on Monday by MIL. I currently have plans to move to the OKW (2 bedroom with AP discount). (I know this is a little bigger than I need, but thought it would be nice to let MIL have her own room). Rather than staying at the OKW, I'm thinking about staying at the HIFS-kidsuite (less space, no washer/dryer, only 1 bathroom). OKW is $269 per night while HIFS is $115 including breakfast and 2 dinners. BIG price difference.

I'm a little leary about staying offsite. How is the traffic getting into WDW? How are the kidsuites? How is the food at the hotel? Is the resort crowded? (I will be going in December, so I don't know how much of a differnce that will make).

Any opinions? Should I stay at OKW or move to HIFS and save $$$$ ? Help!

Wow that IS a difference. Since you will be staying onsite for a few days you can use the benefits of being in a Disney resort the days you are there, then stay at the HIFS.

I stayed there in January and I loved it. It is small but has lots of walls for privacy. The HIFS has other floorplans that might be better for adults, such as the Classic suite and the Residential suites. For a look at the plans CLICK HERE

The breakfast was great. My sister came down for the last few days we were there and was amazed at how much they offer. I'm a breakfast person so I truly enjoyed it. I have not had the dinner buffet, it was not free when I was there, but looked it over one night and it looked delicious. At the time it was $13.95 and I eat very little dinner so I couldn't justify the cost. For free I guess I would've found a way!

As for crowds, December is usually only bad around the holidays, which will still be questionable this year. The time you'll be there is a perfect time to go. Less heat, less crowds.

The resort is about a 5 minute drive from Disney. I found the trip shorter than the one on the bus from the All Stars! If you will be driving it's very simple to get to. And since you have the AP you will get free parking.

Sounds like a win-win to me!

Let us know what you decide!

First of all, I've got to say I love these boards. I've been reading them for the last few months but have never posted anything until now. I've enjoyed the opinions and advice offered by everyone.

Now, I've got to say that my dilema is all my fault. I'm such a perfectionist when it comes to my vacation - especially when I'm paying upteen thousands of dollars. The 5 nights at the OKW was a second choice - I originally wanted either WLV (but stayed there last year) or BWV (I would love to walk into EPCOT). On the other hand, so many people seem to really like OKW.

Since I'm always looking for a better deal or better place to stay, I came across the HIFS. Their website makes it look very appealing - kitchenette, themed children's area, children's check-in, breakfast included, etc. I still have a leaning to go to OKW, but my DH and MIL are now excited about HIFS - and there is that $850 difference in the total price! My DH even suggested changing our AKL reservations to the HIFS - over his dead body! I'm looking forward
to that concierge service and seeing a few giraffes from my balcony! But, since I'm doing all the research on this trip, they would never have known anything about the HIFS unless I told them.

I'm trying to convince myself that I'll get comparable or greater quality at the HIFS for a lot less month than OKW. I'm looking for people to convince me.

And by the way, I didn't realize that we got free parking with the AP pass. Thanks!

kitykat63:

An AP is an annual pass. For more info on Disney tix, Click Here

Tracie: Have you checked to see if you can get in on the One Day Free deal on HIFS? You can save a ton of money that way!

Hi Robinrs:

Funny you should mention that. I, in fact, did make another reservation at HIFS using that "pay for one night get one night free" rate (and I did print out the coupon). For the 5 days it effectively gives me a rate of $86 per night - including TAX - and I still get breakfast. The nightly rate for the OKW including tax is $298. That is over $1000 difference over the 5 nights. Of course, the HIFS is still not Disney and I haven't been able to bring myself to cancel my reservation at OKW. You don't know what agonies I went through to get a 2 bedroom with the AP rate. When I called Disney the other day they said I had 16 calls showing on their computer (I don't think I like their tracking of calls). Of course, I still am definitely keeping my AKL reservation.

My DH says its my decision where we stay (even though he likes the price better at HIFS). My MIL definitely would prefer to stay at HIFS - she much prefers the rate. (I didn't mention the Courtyard by Marriott to her, though my DH actually said he didn't want to stay there - too business-like). For now I'm keeping my options open!

I'm actually trying on Friday for reservations at Cindys. Less than 2 months to go!!!

I'm going to Disneyworld!

Unfortunately, The buy one night get one night free doesn't start till November and we are going on October 24-29.....Bummer!
Oh well, we are still getting a pretty good deal with CAA . I think we are getting it for $99;00 per night.

Where did you get the info on the buy one night get one free? I've been waiting for that for our trip 11/9-14!

Thanks! I found it on another thread, but it won't work for my dates.

If you are looking for space and privacy, I'm not sure you'll find it at HIFS, depending on what you are use to. It's true that there are technically 3 separate rooms but the quarters are tight. More like a very small apartment than a "suite". If you get a kidsuite, your 5 year old would be in there (and will love it!). You and your husband would be in the bedroom and that would put your MIL on the hideabed in the "livingroom". Keep in mind this is a very small room. Anyone needing to use the bathroom would be about 2 feet from the hideabed as it is right there. When it is pulled out you have to physically crawl over it to reach the front door. Depending on how much time you spend in the room and how cozy and comfy you are with one another, it might not be that big a deal.
The pool area and the breakfast are great. When we went, it was DH, myself, 2 teenage girls and my then 7 year old. My 7 year old was elated but the rest of us were very cramped and uncomfortable. But, as I said it's just a matter of how you are use to traveling. The majority on these boards, love this hotel.
When we went it was also on the buy one get one night free deal. I strongly advice you to confirm, confirm, confirm. It was 30 minutes of hassleing to get our bill right on checkout (they charged us full price) but I was fortunate that I had called several times and confirmed on checkin and had the names of everyone I talked to. Whatever you decide... have a great trip!
Jenn

I agree with Jenn that the kidsuite is not made for a large group. I went with my sister, my 7 year old son and myself. It was great for us. My sister slept on the couch or on the other bunk in the room with my son (not very comfortable for a 45yo!). But it is WAY better than a hotel room, and I've heard of people squeezing that many into the All Stars!

Tracie, I was aware that Disney reservations do keep a track of calls but for the reservationist to TELL you that... well, I find that not too Disney.

I hope you decide soon! I, quite frankly, have changed my reservations about ten times since I started planning!:tongue:

Tracie, I have two suggestions which you may or may not have considered. We looked at OKW and HIFS this summer for our vacation and decided OKW was to expensive andn HIFS was too small for our needs (teenage boys and girl along).

Have you checkedinto the Disney Institute townhouses. They are a great deal, lots of room kitchen, w/d two bedrooms, bus transportation and they are usually heavily discounted.

We ended up staying at the new Marriott Residence Inn in LBV (about 5 min from HIFS) because we got a great rate of $l05 thru quikbook.com. I believe that rate is still being offered. We had a spacious two br two bath suite, living room and full kitchen, free hot and cold bkfst.One king bed in one room and two queens in another.

Good luck.

we have booked thr HIFI for the 13 dec ....26 dec (kids suite) 3 DD's 8,7,7,yrs and i'm thinking of room request. but which one should i ask for would like to be near the pool area etc. also does any one know if the HIFI is EE for disney as on there sight it says it's a disney recognised hotel.

After much soul searching - I just canceled my reservations at OKW. So, if anyone wants a 2-bedroom unit at OKW with an AP discount - it should be there tomorrow at 7:00 am!

We're still staying at the HRH and AKL. We'll now stay at the HIFS for 5 nights (my MIL will only be with us for 4 nights).

I also considered the Vistana Resorts. They look real nice, but the HIFS looks to be more fun. Also, I called the Vistana to get some information on an area to stay in the resort, transportation, etc., and they were RUDE. They didn't answer my questions and you could hear the exasperation in their voices. Why was it so difficult for them to answer the question, "where would you recommend I stay in the resort with a 5-year old that would be near the pool and playground and away from traffic noise?" I also asked about their transportation to the parks and all they would tell me is that they give you a schedule when you check in. I wasn't asking for specific times - just in general about how often do they have busses go to the park and do you need to make reservations for them. Made me want to make a reservation - NOT! I've never had a Disney CM sound like that!

Thanks for everyone's help and advise!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter