OKW Lovers Thread. Part 2

There is a picture 1 bed villa in "block 29" - "Here now, block 29 Penninsular Rd... Refurbished 1 bed Villa - just gorgeous " on FB

https://scontent.fzty1-2.fna.fbcdn....=d816b4c9b9d17ed4ed916cf26b95a59d&oe=5C432467

It shows the laundry room with what appears to be one door - just a wall at the other end. Is this what you mean?

Too bad - looks like no change. It would have been a perfect time to take care of that design issue. Maybe the ones who decide don't even realize it exists.

There is a picture 1 bed villa in "block 29" - "Here now, block 29 Penninsular Rd... Refurbished 1 bed Villa - just gorgeous " on FB

https://scontent.fzty1-2.fna.fbcdn....=d816b4c9b9d17ed4ed916cf26b95a59d&oe=5C432467

It shows the laundry room with what appears to be one door - just a wall at the other end. Is this what you mean?

Thanks! That's too bad - we will be traveling with teens who will be sleeping in the living room. I know they will probably be up much later than we are and hoped they wouldn't have to come through our room to get to the bathroom, but I'll just be happy to be there!

Ate at Olivia's on Tuesday evening and was a bit disappointed. It was noisy as usual (large tables, lots of kids and the tin ceiling, plus a server dropped a tray coming from the kitchen, with food and drink on it). But my Southernmost Buttermilk Chicken wasn't up to par. It had a couple of pickle slices mixed into the batter (I hate pickles) and it looked like it had been deep fried a few times to keep it hot. Potatoes were rather gluey, too. Green beans were the best. It took a while to get our order taken, but not that long to bring it out. Not bad enough to complain or whine, but just not great enough to be truly satisfied. We'll try it again on a future trip though. We've really enjoyed Olivia's every other time.

Oh, and I was surprised to see a buttermilk-type biscuit sitting on top with gravy on it, too. I've never been a fan of stacked up food, first thing I do is separate it all to make sure I can eat it. Never had the biscuit on the chicken before. And I've had the chicken multiple times. I prefer my biscuits for breakfast with grape jelly.

Wow, sorry to hear that. We live close to WDW and from time to time just pop into Olivia's to eat as it is a Disney fave of ours, as well as my owning at OKW since '93 and eating there over the years many, many times. The buttermilk fried chicken has been a top fave of mine and I was SO happy when they brought it back to the menu (for a few years they only had it on occasion, not daily and not printed on the menu). But I do agree it is a bit weird that they would put a biscuit on top of the chicken. And a pickle in the batter? Hmmm. :(

I hope that you as a longtime OKW member gave some nice feedback to Olivia's. :cutie:

Hello,

We are looking into possibly staying here next August. We usually stay at the BC as we love the area and the pool. However we cannot get our full duration.

It would be a 1 bed but I am concerned about the single sleeper chair. My DD will be almost 8 when we go and my DH is not liking the chair and said she cannot sleep on that for 2 weeks. Any oictures of the chair? How big,comfortable is it. We would have my mother DD 15 in the pull out bed.

Thank x

Hello,

We are looking into possibly staying here next August. We usually stay at the BC as we love the area and the pool. However we cannot get our full duration.

It would be a 1 bed but I am concerned about the single sleeper chair. My DD will be almost 8 when we go and my DH is not liking the chair and said she cannot sleep on that for 2 weeks. Any oictures of the chair? How big,comfortable is it. We would have my mother DD 15 in the pull out bed.

Thank x
My 6’3” 22 year old son sleeps in it fine, quite often actually. It’s quite large and I think your daughter would be fine sleeping in it. I’ll try and find a picture he’d be willing for me to post.

Where would she sleep at BC? The chair at OKW is basically the same as the one at BC. You could get a 2 BR at OKW for about the same points as a 1 BR at BC and have 2 real beds and not need the sofa/chair.

Where would she sleep at BC? The chair at OKW is basically the same as the one at BC. You could get a 2 BR at OKW for about the same points as a 1 BR at BC and have 2 real beds and not need the sofa/chair.
There isn't a sleeper chair at BCV, only the murphy bed in the studio (not in the one bedroom). My son, also 6'3", also sleeps in the twin sized sleeper chair at KV, BLT and OKW and thought it was a bit better than the sleeper sofa. The sleeper chair is basically the same as the sleeper sofa only twin sized instead of queen sized.

An 8 yr old could sleep curled up on the sofa cushions and be comfortable.

DVC used to buy American Leather sleeper sofas and chairs, but they don't seem to be the same ones you see on the American Leather website. The cushions have a turn to the edge of the cushion where it fits behind the top edge of the mattress when it is folded up.

Last edited:
Hello,

Thank x

I'm also curious what the plan would have been at BC?

Anyway, a couple of adult family members have slept on the OKW sleeper chair - found it as or more comfortable than the sleeper sofa. It's bigger than the new murphy beds too I believe. If someone can sleep comfortably on the pull out sleeper sofa then the chair will be just fine IMO, especially a younger child.

A 2 BR will give enough "real" beds for everyone.

There isn't a sleeper chair at BCV, only the murphy bed in the studio (not in the one bedroom). My son, also 6'3", also sleeps in the twin sized sleeper chair at KV, BLT and OKW and thought it was a bit better than the sleeper sofa. The sleeper chair is basically the same as the sleeper sofa only twin sized instead of queen sized.

An 8 yr old could sleep curled up on the sofa cushions and be comfortable.

DVC used to buy American Leather sleeper sofas and chairs, but they don't seem to be the same ones you see on the American Leather website. The cushions have a turn to the edge of the cushion where it fits behind the top edge of the mattress when it is folded up.

Thanks for the correction, I forgot the chair at BCV was not a sleeper, I guess there just isn't enough room for one.

Hi everyone, DH and I are brand new DVC owners, and just booked our first stay over Thanksgiving at a 1 bedroom at OKW! This will be our first time at OKW, and I have some questions. (We did not book the preferred/Hospitality House section, if that helps.)
-The DVC CM requested a 1st floor for us because of my knee problems, and he requested that we be close to transportation. Which buildings/area would be best for me to request through Touring Plans to ensure we get a refurbished room that has 2 entrances to the bathroom? We'll be traveling with my MIL and it would be great if she didn't have to enter our bedroom to get into the bathroom.
-Where are there refillable mug stations? We'll have a case of water for the room, but if it's convenient DH may like to purchase a mug for sodas, iced tea, etc.
-Where is the location of the quick service at OKW? We were hoping to have some sort of Thanksgiving meal at a QS that day. I'm not sure if that would be an option at Olivia's looking at the menu.
-How far is the boat ride to Disney Springs from OKW?

TIA!

I'm also curious what the plan would have been at BC?

Anyway, a couple of adult family members have slept on the OKW sleeper chair - found it as or more comfortable than the sleeper sofa. It's bigger than the new murphy beds too I believe. If someone can sleep comfortably on the pull out sleeper sofa then the chair will be just fine IMO, especially a younger child.

A 2 BR will give enough "real" beds for everyone.

Hi, sorry i should have said the BC is a standard room not a villa. So we have 2 queens and 1 day bed. It's good to know that the sleeper chair is just as comfortable as a day bed.
Thank you

Hi everyone, DH and I are brand new DVC owners, and just booked our first stay over Thanksgiving at a 1 bedroom at OKW! This will be our first time at OKW, and I have some questions. (We did not book the preferred/Hospitality House section, if that helps.)
-The DVC CM requested a 1st floor for us because of my knee problems, and he requested that we be close to transportation. Which buildings/area would be best for me to request through Touring Plans to ensure we get a refurbished room that has 2 entrances to the bathroom? We'll be traveling with my MIL and it would be great if she didn't have to enter our bedroom to get into the bathroom.
-Where are there refillable mug stations? We'll have a case of water for the room, but if it's convenient DH may like to purchase a mug for sodas, iced tea, etc.
-Where is the location of the quick service at OKW? We were hoping to have some sort of Thanksgiving meal at a QS that day. I'm not sure if that would be an option at Olivia's looking at the menu.
-How far is the boat ride to Disney Springs from OKW?

TIA!
If you need the second entrance to the bathroom, you'll be either in Turtle Pond or South Point (Bldg 30-56). There is a map of OKW at the beginning of this thread to you can find the buildings that are closer to the two bus stops there. DVC has asked members and their guests not to bother with faxing in a request since most of the time they just toss them out when they get them. With near 100% occupancy at Thanksgiving time, just getting near a bus stop should be your main request.
Refillable mug station is at Goods to Go and you might be able to refill your mug at the Turtle Shack, which is open seasonally. Refillable mugs aren't that convenient at OKW and it's much more convenient to fill up your refrigerator with your favorites instead of buying the refillable mug.
I doubt you will find anything Thanksgiving-like at either location, Goods to Go or Turtle Shack. You'll need Olivia's or a food court at a moderate or value resort (or a table service at another deluxe resort) to get something like a Thanksgiving meal. You could order from Publix and have it delivered via Instacart and prepare your own meal in your villa.

Last edited:
If you need the second entrance to the bathroom, you'll be either in Turtle Pond or South Point (Bldg 30-56). There is a map of OKW at the beginning of this thread to you can find the buildings that are closer to the two bus stops there. DVC has asked members and their guests not to bother with faxing in a request since most of the time they just toss them out when they get them. With near 100% occupancy at Thanksgiving time, just getting near a bus stop should be your main request.
Refillable mug station is at Goods to Go and you might be able to refill your mug at the Turtle Shack, which is open seasonally. Refillable mugs aren't that convenient at OKW and it's much more convenient to fill up your refrigerator with your favorites instead of buying the refillable mug.
I doubt you will find anything Thanksgiving-like at either location, Goods to Go or Turtle Shack. You'll need Olivia's or a food court at a moderate or value resort (or a table service at another deluxe resort) to get something like a Thanksgiving meal. You could order from Publix and have it delivered via Instacart and prepare your own meal in your villa.
Thanks so much...this is exactly the info I was looking for! I'll forget about the room request from Touring Plans...I wouldn't have known that so thanks for letting me know.
I've been scouring the maps and looking on Google and Youtube, but because I've never been to OKW I'm having a hard time picturing the layout.
That is great info about the Thanksgiving meal and food courts. Originally we were staying at Pop so grabbing a quick meal there seemed plausible; now we'll have to plan something else if my MIL is dead set on having something resembling a Thanksgiving meal on that day.

Does the boat from OKW to Disney Springs go to Port Orleans? I wonder how hard it would be to get over there if she really wants to eat turkey on Thanksgiving.

No, the boats from all 3 of the resorts on the canal only go to Disney Springs, you could take a boat to Disney Springs and transfer to the boat for Port Orleans...but with so many dining options at Disney Springs, you may want to take the time now, before the trip, to see if any of them are having a traditional Thanksgiving type meal and make the appropriate reservations in advance.

Does the boat from OKW to Disney Springs go to Port Orleans? I wonder how hard it would be to get over there if she really wants to eat turkey on Thanksgiving.

No, the boat goes from OKW to DS, you can then get another boat to PO, but no direct boat between OKW and PO.

No, the boats from all 3 of the resorts on the canal only go to Disney Springs, you could take a boat to Disney Springs and transfer to the boat for Port Orleans...but with so many dining options at Disney Springs, you may want to take the time now, before the trip, to see if any of them are having a traditional Thanksgiving type meal and make the appropriate reservations in advance.

No, the boat goes from OKW to DS, you can then get another boat to PO, but no direct boat between OKW and PO.

Thank you both! I was trying to avoid an ADR on Thanksgiving since it's our arrival day. We'll be eating at LTT later in the trip so I'll just have to tell MIL her turkey dinner will be a couple of days late. In the meantime, that may be a great day to head to DS and hit up Wolfgang Puck Express, which is our favorite QS and just a short boat ride away :)

One other question. How far away is the main pool at Hospitality House if we're at one of the villas near South Point or Turtle Pond? Is it walkable since we won't have a vehicle, or is there an internal shuttle that goes between the different stops?

Every park bus stops at the HH area last, before leaving OKW. There is an internal bus, marked Disney Springs, that makes the run 'backwards'. I believe it still stops at HH first and last.

OKWMap-January2008.jpg

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter