OKW GV 7 months out, how difficult?

aad619

Earning My Ears
I have my heart set on staying a week in a 3 bedroom grand villa at Old Key West but of course my concern is if there will be any availability at 7 months out...should I look into other options or do you think this will likely go through? It’ll be in mid-late January. Thanks!

As of right now their is availability the last 2 weeks in January. For the most part they don’t seem available at 7 months for a whole week. You might get lucky though.

As of right now their is availability the last 2 weeks in January. For the most part they don’t seem available at 7 months for a whole week. You might get lucky though.
I wonder if I get waitlisted if there would be a chance of actually getting the room...

Yes we’ve stayed there before, we like the feel of OKW, we thought it was very charming. Why do you ask?
We would like to stay there on our next trip, but Im unsure if my teenager and tween will like it . We have stayed at AoA and the thing that they both loved was the freedom of going to the food court by themselves and going to the arcade. I know none of the DVC properties have food courts or arcades, but okw seems like it might be a good fit. I was also looking at Boardwalk. Im hoping the kids might like that resort area.

We would like to stay there on our next trip, but Im unsure if my teenager and tween will like it . We have stayed at AoA and the thing that they both loved was the freedom of going to the food court by themselves and going to the arcade. I know none of the DVC properties have food courts or arcades, but okw seems like it might be a good fit. I was also looking at Boardwalk. Im hoping the kids might like that resort area.
OKW has an arcade, as well as multiple food areas although may be different than AOA food court.

DVC arcades and food courts are tiny compared to the other resorts. The arcades are usually pretty empty, so they will have choice of which games to play.

If your kids like autonomy and activity, I would look at BWV instead of OKW. My 9yr old wanders around BWV on his own... but he has a phone :)

OKW has an arcade, as well as multiple food areas although may be different than AOA food court.
There is no food court at OKW. There is just a small counter service, really small, at the pool where you sit at picnic table outside to eat. There is an even smaller counter service at the Turtle Pond pool, The Turtle Shack, and that is only open seasonally and usually has short hours.

As for booking a GV at seven months out, I was able to add one night to a five night stay for late May/early June several years ago, but it could be hard to book the entire stay at seven months out. Especially for a holiday week (MLK weekend) and the least number of points required than every other GV. The GV will have one bedroom upstairs with two double beds in it and the other one upstairs will have two queen beds. The one with double beds is rather small and two queens would never fit in it. Getting a studio and a two bedroom might be easier to book.

There is no food court at OKW. There is just a small counter service, really small, at the pool where you sit at picnic table outside to eat. There is an even smaller counter service at the Turtle Pond pool, The Turtle Shack, and that is only open seasonally and usually has short hours.

As for booking a GV at seven months out, I was able to add one night to a five night stay for late May/early June several years ago, but it could be hard to book the entire stay at seven months out. Especially for a holiday week (MLK weekend) and the least number of points required than every other GV. The GV will have one bedroom upstairs with two double beds in it and the other one upstairs will have two queen beds. The one with double beds is rather small and two queens would never fit in it. Getting a studio and a two bedroom might be easier to book.
Thank you for your input! Worst case scenario, we can book a studio and two bedroom. Thanks!

I stayed at OKW as a teen and loved it. It has changed a bunch from back in 1995, but the feel of the resort is still the same. The grounds are huge, so if your kids are inclined they can do a lot of walking or rent bikes. They can walk from OKW to SSR and Disney Springs, or take a boat from OKW to Disney Springs as well if you allow them freedom to leave the grounds on their own.

The arcade is small, but there's a community hall with a pool table and other video game options and activities as well.

Old Key west is also much much much easier to book at 7 months than Boardwalk is going to be.

I stayed at OKW as a teen and loved it. It has changed a bunch from back in 1995, but the feel of the resort is still the same. The grounds are huge, so if your kids are inclined they can do a lot of walking or rent bikes. They can walk from OKW to SSR and Disney Springs, or take a boat from OKW to Disney Springs as well if you allow them freedom to leave the grounds on their own.

The arcade is small, but there's a community hall with a pool table and other video game options and activities as well.

Old Key west is also much much much easier to book at 7 months than Boardwalk is going to be.
Thank you so much for the info. It sounds like they would really like it. I'm trying to book a couple of days to enjoy the resort also instead of just parks, parks, parks. Most of the time I need a vacation after my vacation.

OKW has 27 GVs, BWV has 7, so it should make it easier to get one a OKW, except for being the lowest point cost for a GV. The summer rate at OKW 477 vs. 800 at BWV,

Looking right now, it only looks like a couple of nights are available at OKW in January. February looks okay right now, but that is more than seven months out.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!