OKW extension thoughts?

Disney MAINEiac

DIS Veteran
See if you can follow this reasoning and tell me if I'm way off base or not. If I own a contract at OKW and decide not to extend, could disney be using this as a way to increase the value of non-extended contract points on the used market (as far as Disney sales are concerned) and increase their share of the used contract market. In other words I have a contract that expires in 2042, I try to sell on the used market. my points are worth say roughly $80/point if purchased through an independent seller. However if disney ROFRs the contract they now have points with a 2057 expiration date. suddenly the DVC guides have a real sales edge over the available contracts on the resale market (an additional 15 years). Plus the resale value for disney is higher per point than a resale agent can command by virtue of the extra 15 years as well.

our exprience when we bought resale was that our guide was not to pleased that we purchased outside of DVC for our add-on, maybe this is how they intend to keep a competitive edge for DVC.:rolleyes1

and increase their share of the used contract market.
Just speculating here, but I don't think Disney wants to be in the used contract business. If they have a buyer, they would much rather sell them points they built for $35-ish a point, rather than points they ROFR'ed for $75 a point.

Just speculating here, but I don't think Disney wants to be in the used contract business. If they have a buyer, they would much rather sell them points they built for $35-ish a point, rather than points they ROFR'ed for $75 a point.

yeah but from disney's perspective they are essentially new contracts (Full 50 yrs) so could they command the full $104 per point?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter