OKW direct

KCMA

Mouseketeer
Been researching DVC for almost 8 months after finally taking the tour while at WDW last December... we are looking into purchasing OKW direct (yes I know all about resale but direct works for us)... we will be back at WDW mid September and hoping to purchase at that time.. has anyone bought OKW direct recently? Is there a wait list or will we will be able to go to DVC and tell them we want X amount of points at OKW, will sign and pay in full today

Thanks in advance

You should specify what UY you are looking for in order for people to respond with any information of value.

Waitlists can change from day to day. You're best off just reaching out to your guide and asking. If they have the points now, you'll want to buy them (they may not be around in September) and if they don't, you'll want to get on the waitlist (which still may not come through by September).

ETA: Do you need OKW for the larger space - or love the resort? If you're planning to stay there most of the time, good call. If not, why not get SSR. They cost the same and your biggest expense long term is going to be your ADs. SSR ADs are lower now than OKW ADs by $0.86/pt. Not insignificant. Last year they were less by $0.81/pt. Extra RTU years don't make up for that difference over time.

Last edited:
Yes we want the larger space and the two beds in studios and love the resort as well.. I am not worried about 2042 as a lot can happen in 24 years.. I have never stayed at SSR and have only been there for the DVC tour.. Didn’t really care for what I saw .. we are from Canada and when we come in the winter months I want a resort that atleast has some palm trees!

If you buy direct from DVD it will be the extended contract of 2057, not 2042. OKW is very nice. They might have points available, depends on how many you need. Good luck let us know how things go.

They have been taking OKW in ROFR so it seems they'd have points available, but I've heard there still may be a wait. Depends on the UY you're looking for.

Good luck!

If you buy direct from DVD it will be the extended contract of 2057, not 2042. OKW is very nice. They might have points available, depends on how many you need. Good luck let us know how things go.
The question is, what happens in 2042? No one knows. Never trouble until trouble troubles you; there's enough uncertainty in timeshare ownership.

OKW is a nice resort but it is the oldest. Even though it gets a face lift, it's still old. The AC doesn't work as will as it could, it can have mold issues, bus noise next to the roads, and it isn't close to any parks.

:earsboy: Bill

Not sure what your definition of close is but as I am sure you know it’s right across from Epcot.. just north of typhoon Lagoon and not far from Hollywood studios..plus Disney springs is pretty close, we don’t like animal Kingdom so I don’t care how close we are to that park.. a few extra minutes to get to MK dosent bother us at all when we are in vacation mode

Not sure what your definition of close is but as I am sure you know it’s right across from Epcot.. just north of typhoon Lagoon and not far from Hollywood studios..plus Disney springs is pretty close, we don’t like animal Kingdom so I don’t care how close we are to that park.. a few extra minutes to get to MK dosent bother us at all when we are in vacation mode

Close as in you can walk to the park.

:earsboy: Bill

After researching it all forever I sent the closing paperwork back to Disney on OKW on Monday. I wanted October UY. I waited maybe a month for it to be available. If you decide to go the route I did then make sure it is an upcoming UY so you get the 2017 points. Guide called me Sunday and said OKW available. I gave him my card information then (split on 2 cards to maximize rewards). Tuesday I got a membership number and booked us a stay in BLT for January with the 2017 points.

The deed says 2057 on it. When you buy direct it is extended with nothing about 2042.

I have a resale contract now in ROFR for BLT. OKW will fit our family of 5 who need at least one bedroom and like to spread out.

We love Old Key West. The palm trees and pretty pastel buildings and bigger square footage is wonderful. My niece just bought 120 OKW points direct from Disney with a June use year. Like some mentioned, if you buy a future use year you should get 2017 points. Good luck, it is a great resort.

The issue isn't with your expiration date. It is that probably 50% will expire in 2042, with some associated legal issues around the alleged expiration for anyone wh never signed a quit claim, as by extending the land lease Disney extended everyone's contract whether they opted in or not. So there are issues with the capital expense fund starting in roughly 2035 and questions of if Disney own that other half of not. If they do, will they fire sale the points on those 15 year contracts, or will they use the rooms as discount cash Rez?

I mentioned and August or September use year to the guide as that works the best for the foreseeable future of our travel patterns.. time will tell

The issue isn't with your expiration date. It is that probably 50% will expire in 2042, with some associated legal issues around the alleged expiration for anyone wh never signed a quit claim, as by extending the land lease Disney extended everyone's contract whether they opted in or not. So there are issues with the capital expense fund starting in roughly 2035 and questions of if Disney own that other half of not. If they do, will they fire sale the points on those 15 year contracts, or will they use the rooms as discount cash Rez?

Lots of OKW non extended contracts sell every day. In order to sell my understanding is they give up the extension in order to sell. Disney buys a decent amount back, so every year they extend more and more to 2057. I would not be suprised by 2042 that the vast majority of the contracts will be 2057. If Disney wanted to they could buy all of it back through ROFR and resell it for 2057. The big problem for DVD is OKW is not the only 2042 resort. There is HHI, BCV, BWV, BRV and Vero Beach. Only time will tell how they handle this.

Lots of OKW non extended contracts sell every day. In order to sell my understanding is they give up the extension in order to sell. Disney buys a decent amount back, so every year they extend more and more to 2057. I would not be suprised by 2042 that the vast majority of the contracts will be 2057. If Disney wanted to they could buy all of it back through ROFR and resell it for 2057. The big problem for DVD is OKW is not the only 2042 resort. There is HHI, BCV, BWV, BRV and Vero Beach. Only time will tell how they handle this.

Agree. Everyone is always saying the average person holds a timeshare for around 10 years. I think there will be very few contracts come 2042 that are original owners (or have been holding since before the extension offer).

Agree. Everyone is always saying the average person holds a timeshare for around 10 years. I think there will be very few contracts come 2042 that are original owners (or have been holding since before the extension offer).
We've had our OKW points since 1997. We enjoy staying there.

Do you know what UY you want? The advantage of knowing and requesting a certain UY would be to - for example- buy an August UY in July -- reason being is that you will get the 2017 points and then in August get the 2018 points - they will just pro rate the MF for the 2017 points and as part of the purchase have them bank the 2017 points into 2018 -- hope that make sense. This can be an advantage so that you are ahead points which you can use or your could rent out. You can always call and speak to a guide so that you can make the purchase before you arrive. I think I just read in one of your posts that you want August or Sept. If you are ready to purchase call now -- if there happens to be a waitlist then getting on the list will help get the ball rolling.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter