'Ohana means... EVERYTHING! A sentimental Sept/Oct 2018 PTR - Update 9/15

TeaForTulips

DIS Veteran
Hello! Welcome to my first PTR. I've been a DIS member for many years, but mostly as a lurker. It was many, many moons ago that I attempted to come out of my lurking shell. It did not go well.

179523d0926f6143b60f38427260a915.jpg

This PTR will be full of fun and silly things. Maybe a little informative? A warning that it will be a little emotional, too. We'll get to that in a bit.

I hope you come along, though! I think I'm pretty entertaining, but I've never tried to be entertaining in this form. You guys can be the judge. Lurkers welcome! No shame. I completely get it. Well, I get it in my case...

kimmy-weird.gif

My name is Tarah. It's like Sarah, but with a T. I don't know why so many people say it wrong, but they do. So I feel the need to clarify out the gate. Apologies to anyone who feels slighted by that.

i'm this one.jpg

I'm a 30-something southern gal, former nanny, and teacher in the making. I went to a private college to become a Certified Professional Nanny (yes, those exist!) and am now working towards my Bachelor's in Elementary Education. I often joke I was raised on sweet tea, Christmas, and Disney. I'm a voracious and eclectic reader. I also paint multi-media abstracts.

My special skills include quoting and singing along to Disney movies (we're talking old and new here, people... from Summer Magic to Moana), picking the wrong line at the grocery store, and using all the hot water in the morning.

tarah deer.jpg

The Favies:
Favorite Park: Magic Kingdom
Favorite Ride: Thunder Mountain and ToT (both better at night, by the way)
Favorite Character: Mulan
Favorite Place to Eat: Ohana
Favorite Disney/Pixar Movie: I assume this is how people feel when they're told to pick a favorite tiny human...

TarahJenWed.jpg

I've been with my wife, Jen, for twelve years. Our wedding was four years ago, and three years ago that marriage became legal. :cloud9: :bride:

Sadly, Jen won't be joining us on this trip. She has a shunt in her back from pseudotumor cerebri that was causing her to go blind along with fibromyalgia. The combination isn't great for keeping up with our pace in the parks and riding rides. While she enjoys Disney, she's okay not going on every trip.

We lived about 30 minutes from Disney (that's an hour in I-4 speak) for many years. We were lucky enough to have annual passes for two of those years. We got a lot of Disney in during that time. :hyper:

passholders.jpg

I'll keep the posts going with the rest of the party and more details of our trip. :goodvibes

Sneak Peak: Party of 8, including tiny humans. A value resort. A very big birthday. A very sad memory.

Last edited:
1. The 411

The Party

Next on the list for our travel party is my sister, Trista. We are two peas in a pod.

sisters 1.jpg

We often understand each other when very few can. She's 16 months older than me. For most of our life we've been very close. As adults, I've often lived far away. She also has two teacup humans, so things can be challenging. We always make it work, though.

sisters 2.jpg

The Favies:
Favorite Park: Epcot
Favorite Ride: Peter Pan and RnRC
Favorite Character: Cinderella
Favorite Place to Eat: Flame Tree BBQ
Favorite Disney/Pixar Movie: Cinderella

Trista and I call each other "seesters." I call her kids the "squishies" and they call me "Aunt Sister" or "Aunt Seester."

tenor.gif

trista dogs.jpg

Her family have giant horse-dogs that they'll have to board this trip, Abby and Gummy. They're very sweet
giant horse-dogs.

Sister has been married to her hubby, Mario, for a dozen years.

trista mario.jpg

I think it took some time, but Mario got the Disney bug!

mario olaf.jpg

mario sword.jpg

I'm pretty sure Mario had not been to Disney prior to his introduction with our family. I'll have to double check this intel... my sister is also a DIS lurker. Maybe she can clarify if I'm wrong.

The Favies:
Favorite Park: Hollywood Studios
Favorite Ride: Haunted Mansion and RnRC
Favorite Character: Lumiere
Favorite Place to Eat: Ohana
Favorite Disney/Pixar Movie: Aladdin and Toy Story

Their two kids are the tiny humans of the trip! They are Pierce, who will be 12 in March, and Hallise, who will be 10 in August. Hallise is pronounced Ha-leese... Ha as in "Huckleberry Finn" not as in "happy". Then, leese as in the lease to a flat. She's often called Leesey. (Lee-see)

mario kids mexico.jpg

Disney 2015

guendulays disney.jpg

The squishies had their first trip though when they were...

kids first trip.jpg

Ohmahgosh so tiny!

...continued in next post.

Last edited:
Pierce is currently figuring out the 6th grade at a magnet school. He loves chess, boxing, rollerblading, and games. He's very smart, loving, and adventurous. He's very sensitive and protective of his little sister.

pierce 1.JPG

The Favies:
Favorite Park: Epcot
Favorite Ride: Test Track
Favorite Character: Jafar
Favorite Disney/Pixar Movie: Finding Nemo

hallise 1.JPG

Hallise is almost done with 4th grade, also at a magnet school. She loves all things Zelda. She enjoys arts and crafts, sewing, boxing, games, and movies. She's the sweetest kid ever. She loves with her whole heart and looks up to her big brother.

The Favies:
Favorite Ride: RnRC and Soarin'
Favorite Character: Mulan and Tinker Bell
Favorite Disney/Pixar Movie: Peter Pan

hallise 2.jpg

Since Hallise was brand new, everyone has referred to her as my mini-me. She's the spitting image of my sister, but her personality is very much like myself. :cutie:

I enjoy hanging out with the squishies. They're both really awesome kiddos. I cannot WAIT for this Disney trip with them both older and more willing to try things. :cheer2:

kids aquarium.jpg

The squishies a la 2013:
PierceHallise 2013 1.jpg

The same wall this year:
pierce hallise wall.jpg

They got so big!
tenor.gif

The Sentimental (the party continued)

Next up is where things get a little emotional for me.

My parents. The reason for this trip. Ohana.

mom and dad.jpg

dad and mom 3.jpg

Billy and Melody.

Married 36 years. Both Navy veterans; it's how they met.

My parents raised us on Disney vacations. We were raised on Ohana. It meant everything to my mother and she taught that to us.

In October 2016, my mother was diagnosed with cancer. At the time, wifey and I were living in Florida. My parents, my sister and her family, and my wife's mother all lived in Louisiana.

In the beginning, things were very hopeful. I won't go into specifics. By the start of the 2017 new year, things were going the wrong way. And quickly. I didn't understand just how quickly at the time, even speaking to my mother daily.

Again, I'll spare many specifics of this journey as best I can. Wifey and I moved hell and high water to have a move in place at the end of March. Movers scheduled. Promotions turned down. Schooling transferred. Job quit. Another job transferred.

Then a phone call came that made me nervous. So I left early.

I was in Louisiana 6 days before my mother passed away.

marmee 2.jpg

marmee 1.jpg

Losing my mother was the shock of my life. She was my best friend. I don't say that lightly. I don't say that in the way that because she was my mom, she was my best friend. She was my best friend. The best person I'll ever know. This is a club I didn't want to belong in, but it's one no one can understand until you're in it. My heart goes out to anyone who is a member.

Losing my mother changed things in everyone's life. It's been a difficult journey. Something you can never really adjust to.

My mother was called "Marmee" by my sister and I (a Little Women reference for those not familliar) and "Nana" by Pierce and Hallise. She loved to make things. Anything. She made quilts. She crocheted. She sewed. She collected My Melody, so Mitsukoshi was always a favorite stop. Her favorite beyond favorite was Piglet. She cried every time she met him. She was always upset he never had enough merchandise.

mom piglet.jpg

For Hallise's last birthday, Mario's mother, Pam (who you'll meet soon), made Hallise a piglet in memory of her Nana.

hallise piglet.jpg

Marmee's Favies According to Me:
Favorite Ride: Carousel of Progress and Swiss Family Treehouse
Favorite Character: Piglet
Favorite Place to Eat: Crystal Palace
Favorite Disney/Pixar Movie: Lilo and Stitch and everything with Piglet

mom dad kids.jpg

My dad wanted to go to Disney last fall when Free Dining was out. At first, I was on board. Who wouldn't want to go to Disney? But the more I thought about it, the more I realized it was too soon. And I knew I wouldn't be enough support for him. The first trip to Disney without my mom needed to be Ohana.

We all did get tattoos in her memory...

Dad (Only his second tattoo. The first he got maybe 5 years prior which is a Navy tattoo on the other calf. The cute story is that my mother constantly told him how sexy she thought it was.)
ohana dad.jpg

Trista
ohana trista.jpg

Mario
ohana mario.jpg

Jen
ohana jen.jpg

Me
ohana me.jpg

My Dad has always been on board with the Disney trips. He loves vacationing two places: Pensacola and Disney. He also loves spoiling his kids and grandkids. He and my mom both did. They put everyone before themselves.

dad and kids.jpg

...sometimes when you don't live nearby you have to improvise a photo.
dad.jpg

My father turns 70 this September. This past December he had quadruple bypass on his heart. A big family Disney trip this year was not something we initially planned, but life has shown us that time is not a guarantee. My father, for sure, is chomping at the bit to get to Disney.

His love of Disney is different than my mom's, sister's, or mine. He doesn't know characters. He hasn't seen the movies. And that's okay. He loves the rides. He loves the food. He loves the atmosphere. And loves to see his family happy.

Dad's Favies According to Me:
Favorite Park: (I asked him this one) Magic Kingdom or Epcot
Favorite Ride: Soarin' and Expedition Everest
Favorite Place to Eat: Earl of Sandwich
Favorite Disney/Pixar Movie: Lilo and Stitch

Attachments

• mom dad kids 3.jpg
    mom dad kids 3.jpg
    104.2 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Last, but never least in our party are Mario's parentals: Pam and James.

I searched high and low for photos of James, and my sister could only find one. :magnify:

james.jpg

I did find a couple of the lovely Pam

pam 1.jpg

pam 2.jpg

We have done a few of these large group scenarios before and things go swimmingly.

I don't believe either Pam or James have ever been to Disney. They won't be along for the whole trip, but they want to see their grand-kids enjoy the magic. Who wouldn't? I think while it won't be love at first sight, they'll still have a grand time!

When and Where and How

We discussed Pop Century for quite a while. The refurbished rooms sounded friendly and it'd be a new hotel for us.

The decision came down to many factors. Let me back up...

We want Free Dining. popcorn::

We plan to check-in Friday night, September 28th. Historically, this will be Free Dining. We'd check-out Saturday, October 6th.

7 day with Park Hopper. :hyper:

We've always stayed at the All Stars. It's where we've had luck with deals in the past. Do I dream of staying elsewhere? Of course. Can I afford to? No. And I'm okay with that. We shower and sleep in our rooms. We take a pool break if it's hot.

Pop Century's new rooms look pretty. Who wouldn't want a pretty new room? My downfalls are the preferred rooms appear to be quite a walk from the parking lot. I also do actually sit in the chairs and use the table in our room. I don't like the idea of having to choose between the table or a bed. I also think Pop rooms will be the first to go. :wave2:

With all these thoughts in mind, we booked at All Star Music. I've stayed there... two or three times now. I can't remember. We always book preferred. We like the distance between the parking lot, the laundry room, and the main hall. Everything we need before and after park time is close by.

Fingers crossed that come April we can snag Free Dining! :surfweb:

Trista's family will be driving down in their truck and then my dad and I will be driving down in his. We plan on taking the scooter we purchased for my mother just in case. Even with crazy awesome flight deals, we are not keen on Disney transportation. :sad2: I know. Horrible. I'm sorry. So the cost of even cheap flights + car rental just doesn't do it. So we drive.

Pam and James will be flying, though. I'm not sure if they're going to rent a car. I don't think they'd need to. I think there's plenty of extra car room and then with the Disney transport back up option, it would be fine.

Alright. I think I covered the Who, When, Where, and How with all these posts. I hope I caught your eye if you've stuck with me this long!

I have a lot of posts ideas for this 255 day journey!

tenor.gif

Last edited:

2. The Food (and Wine)

We've been to Disney more times than I care to count. Myself especially since I used to go almost every weekend.

One of the great things about our past trips is that we've got to experience many of Disney's special events or seasons. We've seen Flower and Garden. We got to do Star Wars Weekend. We've done Food and Wine. One of my greatest joys was the fact that my mother got to see The Osborne Family Spectacle of Dancing Lights the last year they displayed.

spectacle of lights.jpg

Seriously, I will miss this more than I miss The Great Movie Ride and I feel like that says a lot. When you combine my love of Disney and Christmas?!

Christmas_clipart_clipart.filminspector.com_64.gif

(I'll also throw out there that I'll miss the Electrical Parade and Wishes more than I care to admit as well. I'm not crying. You're crying.)

I've done Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Party. I even did Mickey's Not-So-Scary Halloween Party because I do NOT do scary things. Seriously. No. So that was my jam. Alas, with our large party, I don't see that happening this year. If I could get away with awesome Aunt Tarah stealing squishies for a party while the other adults go drink around the world or something? Hmm... I'll put a pin in that.

b3cZMSN.gif

I've seen Disney go from Fall to Christmas overnight. MAGIC. :tink:

However! While I couldn't be more excited than Christmas + Disney? My sister's family and my dad could not be more excited for Food + Disney. :mickeybarI'm pretty sure Mario's parents are on board for this party as well.

tumblr_ms7jj3F8NB1sf5q9yo3_500.gif

Trista and Mario loved Food and Wine last time and are thrilled we will catch it again! Of course, the booze opportunities do not go unnoticed. Dad didn't really get into F&W last time as it wasn't my mom's thing and he stuck with her. But I think he could really enjoy it.

My father's number one Disney food EVER? Popcorn. popcorn::When I told him about the new refillable buckets he got oh so very excited.

Trista: We could share a bucket between everyone.
Dad: No, I think we'll need two buckets.

:rotfl:

So! I'll tell you guys now... I'm a planner. I'm a list maker. A spreadsheet kind of gal.

The last time we did Free Dining, we paid to upgrade to the Regular Dining Plan. We discovered that trip that it was too much for us. Too much food. Too much planning. It pains me to admit that. Between Fast Passes and Reservations and just Disney mayhem? Too much, I tell you. If that's something your party can rock? High five, y'all! For serious. It wore me out. Plus, it's hard to try to please a large party when there are so many variables. Stress? I had it.

So this time around? Quick service it shall remain.

The good news? We like a lot of quick service options! We're not sad about this. I do plan on attempting to get us reservations for PPO Be Our Guest and PPO Garden Grill (OOP).

disney dates.jpg

I got our little booklet in the mail today that confirms our ADR date is April 1st. Two and a half months to go! I'm hoping by the end of March the Park Hours for our dates open up. I loathe trying to plan ADRs without seeing them. I 100% plan our schedule based on Park Hours.

The newest thing about this trip that will be a learning curve for me is that I had gastric bypass in November last year. There's a weird stigma, shame, guilt, stereotype, etc. that goes along with that, but I'm putting it out there. I tried to do research on the DIS for people who've had this and how they ate at Disney and it was quite light.

If this is something that interests you, please don't hesitate to reach out to me. I'm an open book. I plan to include my thoughts and struggles and triumphs (DISNEY RELATED) on this PTR, and later on the TR. To explain, I cannot eat a full meal.

Even in my past trips to Disney on the weekends, I'd order kid's meals. I know how big they are. If I ordered one of those right now I wouldn't be able to eat it all by a long shot.

To add to this, my father's appetite has lessened quite a bit as he's gotten older, and especially after his heart surgery. He gets hungry quite a bit, but doesn't eat a lot at once. We're a bit similar in that way at the moment.

So what does that mean for Disney? We're not paying OOP for meals with the exception of Garden Grill. And only then if I can get a PPO ADR because my dad loves Soarin' and I think it'd be a fun experience. I also foresee my dad and I sharing a lot of meals and possibly eating more often than others in the group.

My sister's family aren't big breakfast eaters. They're more grab a granola bar and go. Dad and I will prolly split a breakfast platter. That sort of thing.

I also plan on carrying baggies, a small Tupperware, and a fold-able lunch bag that I already have. (baggies are already a must-do for me, but I've never actually used them for food-related purposes) I haven't quite worked out a game plan, but since we're driving I figure I'll bring a few options and see what works out best.

I also don't know what a year after surgery will be like (which I won't quuiiitttee be by the time we're at Disney). So this will all be new for me.

44b8b07a4185c461d87cb525d7ad46abfcde2ed4_hq.gif

More Food speak coming soon: Our Quick Service must-dos and "You don't get Dole Whips!?"

Last edited:
3. "You don't get Dole Whips?!"

The last time we all went to Disney World with my mother, she wanted to try the iconic Dole Whip. When my sister and I explained to her that we actually preferred the Dole Whip Float after all the years of just saying "Dole Whip" she was shattered. My avatar is even a Dole Whip air freshener she purchased my sister on a trip she came to visit me once. She felt like she had been lied to for many years and that purchase was a fraud. It was super hilarious, but I'm pretty it was one of those "you had to be there" situations.

980x.gif

By the way, the Floats are better. My apologies to any true Whip fans. :snooty: :P

Disney QS List Time!
tumblr_mv7s15QCsg1s392ayo1_500.gif

Quick Service Must-Dos!

Animal Kingdom:

Flame Tree BBQ - Basically this is a favie of everyone but me. It's not that I don't like it. I just am not crazy about it. But sister's family will get down.
tenor.gif

Yak and Yeti Cafe - Perhaps I should have mentioned earlier that I'm a picky eater. Even in a group of children, I am the most picky. Yes, I realize how sad that is. I don't eat things like onions, mushrooms, and peppers. :crazy2: So the Honey Chicken here is very friendly for me.
I'm not sure if anyone is interested in eating in Pandora. My guess will be yes, but because of the love of Flame Tree we'll see how things go. The beauty of quick service! No ADRs needed. I love that we can go with the flow a bit.

Normally, AK is not an all day affair for us, but with all the new things I'm sure that will change. We used to AK for most of the day, then head to Disney Springs. I'm still working things out. Park Hours will really help my thoughts focus.

Hollywood Studios:

This is prolly my least favorite park to eat at. Maybe things will change in 254 days. I've eaten at every QS and TS here with the exception of Hollywood and Vine and Hollywood Brown Derby (I may be overlooking little snack places). With my luck, you guys are thinking those are the best places to eat at HS and that's why I've been missing out. :p There just aren't any must-dos here for us. I think where we find food will just depend on what the foodies want and where we are in the park.

Epcot:

Garden Grill - As I mentioned earlier, my goal is to get a breakfast ADR here before park opening. It's an easy to please everyone meal with a fun atmosphere and characters. Plus! Right next to Soarin'. If I can't get it? No tears will be shed, but if I can? It will be awesome.
e3b8f1a38c94f9734b38257c0fd915b1.gif

Boulangerie Patisserie - It's kind of tradition to eat here. With F&W happening, I'm not sure how many places we'll actually eat at. I'll also admit, the last time I ate here it wasn't their usual yummy goodness.

Katsura Grill - If I had to trade in France for Japan I would. Unless it's just crazy hot outside, I'm talking noodle bowls, y'all.
tumblr_mnue58w0oB1r62pq6o1_500.gif

Again, the F&W factor here is tricky. Tricky fish.

The last two at Epcot have a lot to do with Illuminations: Yorkshire County and La Cantina de San Angel. Usually, wherever seats can be found we camp out. Everyone gets what they want to eat while someone hunkers down. I don't mind the food at either location.

We are planning two days at each park (with open plans to go with the flow) except AK, so there's lot of time to eat at all the places.
anigif_enhanced-18490-1424103514-11.gif

Magic Kingdom:

This park is one of my favorite places to eat. I want a bite of one thing from everywhere! You could tell me we were eating anywhere in MK and I'd be happy. Truly.

Be Our Guest - Sister and her family have yet to eat here. I took Marmee and Dad when they came to visit me in Florida before. I've eaten here prolly more times than I care to admit because I'm obsessed with early park entrance. Especially when I got a plate full of pastries to myself and could order a more reasonably prices (and sized) kid's meal. My goal is to score PPO ADRs for both our MK days. I think everyone will be happy with eating here.

Casey's Corner - If for no other reason, I will eat here to split some corn dog nuggets and cheese fries with the squishies for a snack. However, if they still have the mac and cheese hot dog on the menu when we go, there may be no stopping Hallise from needing that. That girl is all about some mac and cheese.

tenor.gif

Columbia Harbour House - Again, we have a nice mac and cheese option for Leesey. But this is always yummy when we eat here. I don't care for ALL THE FRIED THINGS, but it's just a change up depending on what you've been eating thus far. I've always really liked the fish and shrimp.

From this point you're down to Pecos Bill's, Cosmic Ray's, and Pinocchio's. It's all about the mood. (and location IMO)
Question for the masses! In the past we've enjoyed trying QS places at other resorts. Does anyone have recommendations for resort QS locations? I'd love to hear them!

Coming soon on Ohana means... EVERYTHING! we're talking MagicBand skins, other fun Disney purchases, and Disney packing!

Last edited:
I can't wait to read more! I love your writing style!

Also, I belong to the same club as you. I lost my mom a little over 3 years ago. That's exactly how I put it to people, that I had joined a club I never wanted to join. Still hurts, always will, but the pain is a bit duller now....

Hello!! I am the Sister, Trista! The pre-trip report is off to a FANTASTIC start, Sis!

I can attest that my husband, Mario was NOT a Disney fan when we first met. I was surprised and shocked when he finally agreed to our first trip about 6 years ago. I was even more shocked when he agreed to not only another trip, but this trip was mostly his idea! Alas, neither of his parents have ever been to The World either, so this should be very interesting. :D

I can't wait to read more! I love your writing style!

Also, I belong to the same club as you. I lost my mom a little over 3 years ago. That's exactly how I put it to people, that I had joined a club I never wanted to join. Still hurts, always will, but the pain is a bit duller now....

Someone commented. Act cool, Tarah. Act. Cool. -breathes in-

harry-ginny-hello.gif

Ohmahgosh. Hello! In all seriousness, thank you for taking the time to comment. In my world, that is a big deal. Since your DIS avatar quote reads "I'm a lurker, not a poster!" maybe it is for you too. :thumbsup2 Either way...

tenor.gif

I'm very sorry to hear you're a member of the club, too. I use it to explain because I feel like it's the best way to tell someone you just cannot understand until you're in the club. It's as simple and as honest as that. :hug:

Hello!! I am the Sister, Trista! The pre-trip report is off to a FANTASTIC start, Sis!

I can attest that my husband, Mario was NOT a Disney fan when we first met. I was surprised and shocked when he finally agreed to our first trip about 6 years ago. I was even more shocked when he agreed to not only another trip, but this trip was mostly his idea! Alas, neither of his parents have ever been to The World either, so this should be very interesting. :D

Seester!

anigif_enhanced-27084-1427253110-7.gif

4. Disney Stuff: Part One

Welp. It's already been so long that I can't remember what size font I've been using for anything. I'm really big on continuity. I'm going to try to just go with it no matter if this ends up look wrong... because once I tried to edit a post and I deleted the whole thing. No judgies.

As the titles gives away, it's time for a post about (*blows the kazoo*) Disneeeyyyy stuff!

This post will be dedicated to my packing list, things I have already purchased for Disney, and things I hope to maybe purchase for Disney. I "put pins" in a lot of things.

First up: What I have...

Sunscreen. Once upon a time I bought whatever was on sale. As I got older, I got particular. I wanted non-comedogenic. I wanted UVA, UVB, and IRA coverage. When did skin care get so darn tricky? Supergoop became my jam. I'll warn you now--- It. Is. Not. Cheap. It's not going to be the cheapest stuff you find on the shelf. It's not even a common brand in some national chains. However, if you have sensitive skin or acne-prone skin and still need really great sun coverage? You may be interested. The brand's website is full of friendly information about their products. Your skin is your largest organ. I've just really gotten picky in taking care of mine. If you have a FSA card through your health insurance, fsastore.com does sell this in a view varieties.

Is this coming across poorly? I'm not saying the other sunscreens aren't up to par. At. All. Please don't let that be the take away. I'm just super pleased with this stuff and want to brag about it. :thumbsup2

SuperGoop.jpg

Jamberry. Nail wraps! Quite some time ago I made my first Jamberry purchase which included:

jamberry.jpg

If it's hard to tell, the bottom option are Cinderella mice! I also have a five-year-old inside me that needed the children's glitter rainbow wraps. I didn't understand at the time of ordering, but the Cinderella Mice wraps are see-through where there are not mice. It's my only complaint on these.

I have small hands and keep my nails very short. The children's wraps work much better for me. (seriously, if you don't have really long nails don't be afraid of the children's nail wraps from Jamberry) I still look forward to putting Cinderelly's friends back on this trip!

I am a little confused about Jamberry's site. One day I'll check and they have Disney wraps available to buy. Another day they'll be gone. Rinse and repeat. I've not yet tried to buy any, so I'm not sure if the buying would even go through. It's flustering to have it constantly appear and disappear though.

I also have some simple black and white nail art bottles that have the thinner brushes for making designs on nails. Classic Mickey heads don't go out of style, right?

Next Up: MagicBand Skins!

dad magicband decal.jpg

Dad chose this option, but in black. His band will be yellow.

I chose...

tarah magicband decal.jpg

This one! It has so many characters and references on it that it made my little indecisive heart happy. I obviously cannot vouch for much on either just yet. They came in quickly. They look just like their pictures. They were both inexpensive.

We've never done anything with our bands before. We always balked at paying for the bands in the parks. I've thought about it once or twice. Especially a Christmas band. I just ultimately always walked away. Sister's family has intentions of ordering some as well, but nothing has been purchased just yet. I'll admit it was pretty fun to get these.

The Hair. So... I have a lot of hair. I'm also not one of those women in the parks where you see the shiny long hair that doesn't have a strand out of place. No frizz or sweat has touched it. Are you one of those women? I envy you. I see you and want your pretty hair.

Curls. I have them. But. They are not well-behaved. I recently cut about 6-ish inches off my hair and it still goes many, many inches below my shoulders. By the time we leave for Disney, I'm sure it will be right back where it was. The point of all this?

At Disney, my hair goes UP. I sweat, y'all. My hair frizzes and not in that cute Merida way.

dr1A4.gif

I also have a penchant for bows and ribbons. Combine these things and what do you get? Things like this:

ohana bow.jpg

and this:

chip and dale head band.jpg

Yes, that is a Tokyo Disney Chip 'n' Dale headband. It is obnoxious and adorable and I love it with all my heart. I saw someone wearing it at Hollywood Studios one day and after learning where she got it? I stalked eBay.

Most of my bows and ribbons are in a box somewhere in storage because we moved in such a hurry. The thought of trying to locate those is a scary one.

tumblr_n9fymywUjK1s2wio8o1_500.gif

The Bag.

As a Disney Weekender I used to simply carry a little wristlet. It was perfect. In the past for trips, I've tried multiple bag carrying methods. We have a shared backpack that would rotate among the group, but mom and I would have our own little purse. (Dad his wallet of course)

We tried no backpack.

We tried no purses, backpack only.

You get the idea.

This year I'm going prepared, but I'm hoping we'll be able to go sans backpack. If Sister carries a medium purse/crossover bag and I do as well I could see us managing fine. I can't see Pam not having something also. I will still have a backpack in case this plan should change.

To digress, but not get too far off topic here, the more I thought about it-- the more I've decided to not worry about trying to "save" food on the trip. Who wants to worry about that at Disney? I hate the idea of wasting food, but I can't say I haven't done it this entire time anyway. It's hard to finish Disney meals. I'll be mindful, but I can't be obsessive. Not having to worry about this will help my case in just having a small bag.

For Christmas, my MIL got me this:

baggallini.jpg

I've not actually used it because I really use a wristlet at home. I've got to carry so. many. bags. for school that I'm not adding another one if I don't have to. I throw my wristlet into one of those and go. This is the Amazon link for it, though I was present when she found mine at TJ Maxx for I think $25? I'm excited to give it a try.

Another thing to keep bags light are collapsible water bottles. I currently have these bottles:

water bottles.jpeg

But I've had them for yeaaaarrrsss. I'd like to get new ones. These have just seen better days. But! They worked really well for us. I've had no problems out of them. And they're very affordable. I've found them on Wal-Mart's site for rather cheap, so I plan on ordering them. There are more pictures there if you want to see how friendly they are.

Alrighty-roo. Midnight here and I have a full day tomorrow. I will continue this post tomorrow night with my ongoing Packing List Plan and Things To Buy (Maybe)...

238 days to go!

tenor.gif

Disney Stuff Continued...

Posting last night didn't happen since I didn't get home until 1 am this morning. I'm sure no one was waiting with bated breath. :cutie:

A couple things I already have that I forgot to mention last post...

In preparation for the next Disney trip (because we there is always a next Disney trip, of course) I had gotten my mother these beauties:

piglet ears.jpg

She was so excited! The plan was to do our usual Crystal Palace breakfast to meet Piglet so she could wear them. (For Marmee, breakfast was her favorite meal + PPO + Piglet? Score huge for Crystal Palace!)

Now, if you'll recall my dining plans mentioned, there is no speak of my getting a CP reservation. To touch on that again... Sister's family just aren't big breakfast eaters. Paying for a buffet for me just is a gigantic waste. And us going back there will just be adding extra emotions on an already emotional trip.

Nonetheless! I will be bringing Piglet's ears. :goodvibes I also have a feeling that Hallise will be sharing a lot of my hair paraphernalia. Hard to say. Like a lot of tiny humans with Disney headbands, hats, etc. they love them for a short while only. :scratchin

Slightly off topic ramble... talking about Piglet and my mom make me think of the last trip she went on with the whole family where she needed a scooter. I printed out this big sign that had Piglet on it with cute "Nana's Scooter" signage and little park symbols at the bottom. I had it laminated at work. It was adorbs. I attached it to the scooter basket with cable ties. She got
so many compliments on that thing! I think more people are Piglet lovers than one would think. Since we plan to take the scooter this time around for "just in case" purpose (read: Dad or James) I want to make another sign. I'll have to think on what to put on it.

The other bobble I forgot to mention, that isn't packed away still, are my Minnie ear clip-ons! You can just see one in this photo:

hallise 2.jpg

I bought them at EPCOT years ago in the girls' section. They're the little snap clip closure and I use a bobby pin on each for extra security. The headbands have to come off for rides and I feel like eventually give me a bit of a headache, so I love these a lot.

I have quite a few Disney baseball caps too, but...

tumblr_mr58itjVyI1rhiapro1_250.gif

Things to Buy!

I'm a window shopper online. Does that make sense? I basically save links to things and think I may buy that... With Disney, I don't want to buy clothes because I'm losing weight. In 200+ days I don't know what size I'll be. I'm a broke college student. I don't want to buy a new wardrobe every time I turn around. I do have access to a Silhouette machine at school that will let me cut vinyl for shirts. I may play around with ideas for that between now and then. Nonetheless, some of my "things" are clothes or accessories or things that could be neat in the park. It's a variety of miscellany!

Portable Blanket
I've not done heavy research, but I've bookmarked a couple options on Amazon for this. (here and here)
I want something compact, but that I can use if needed to bring out for sitting outside at parades, fireworks, etc. Both of these options come with little stakes that are friendly to use while camping or hiking. Of course, I'd leave those little bits behind for Disney.

We usually hunker down early to get decent viewing spots while someone in the party searches out snacks. I'm hoping not only will these help out in terms of not sitting in something gross, but help ensure the space needed for our party is secure while someone is getting popcorn. popcorn::

Hands and Faces Wipes
I buy the travel packs of Wet Ones for hands and face. Unlike the little squirt bottles of anti-bacterial stuff for hands that I always carry, these are not something I keep stocked. They do sell them on Amazon, but usually I can find these cheap in store.

They're great for when you just feel gross and sweaty and want to wipe your face with something cool and wet. Also, nice for tiny humans because they just attract dirt amiright? ::yes::

Wet Ones.jpg

Unique Vintage
If you've never heard of this site? I'm sorry. You may love me or hate me for introducing you. Why are they awesome? They have an ever-changing Disneybounding selection that is ah-maze-ing. You'll hate me because they are expensive. Soooommee things are reasonable. Many things are pricey. But fracking adorable and clever and witty. Check it out. Seriously. The reasonably priced item I'm eyeing is this:

big bow headband.jpg

If I had the money though? All their cute Disney tee shirts would be in my closet. No joke.

Shirts
One thing (well, two really) that is a MUST BUY for this trip are coordinating Anna and Elsa shirts for Trista (@Trista_Daisy) and myself. Those are here and here. As I am the younger, I will be Anna and Sister will be Elsa. I've been researching versions of these shirts for a while. These are my favie.

[Quick disclaimer... all these links I post to Amazon or Etsy I have no affiliation to. I'm just sharing what I like and what I've found. I know I often see things and wonder, "Where did they get that??" That is all. If I've overlooked some rule that I shouldn't be sharing this please let me know.]

I love this one a lot because, well... it's just true. It's from Just Human.

disney songs.png

So is this one which is fantisical for obvious reasons:

sorry i bit you.png

Take my money!

Alright... on to things to pack! This will still include things I hope to buy or already have, but it's still more legit in the next category.

Things to Pack!

Two things.

1. I love lists. Lists make my heart happy. My wifey said she has witnessed me make a list of lists I needed to make. :rolleyes1
2. I am an over-packer. The upside (or downside depending on your perspective) of driving is that I can over-pack.

8.gif

I'd rather have it and not use it than need it and not have it. I once had an extra pair of socks in my bag that I let someone use for their water bottle that was getting everything wet because condensation. :snooty: Bam.:p

Truly though. My room turns into a baby Walgreens. I've no shame in that.

self-5.gif

I've been coming back to this post all day as I get distracted with things that I should be doing. I'm going to post this puppy and continue working on le packing list in the next one!

I had the next post almost complete last week. It was chilling on my laptop just waiting for me to have a few spare minutes to finish it up...

And then my laptop did an automatic update and restart.

giphy.gif

In actuality, I was more fuming and cursing. Grrr! It was such a long packing post!

Once it disappeared I was not in the mood to do it again. This caused a delay in my wanting to create the post for a second time. :badpc:

This weekend was full of going and doing with my cousin's wedding shower and our favorite Mardi Gras parade in Trista's neighborhood. We had fun even though it was only 30 something degrees at the warmest part of the day.

cold-gif-19.gif

mario dad mardi gras.jpg
sisters mardi gras.jpg

Now I'm procrastinating doing school things and house work. So... let's try this puppy again shall we? :cheer2: New post coming up next!

5. Disney Stuff: Part Two

Because 1. It's been a while since I posted, 2. I already made this post before, and 3. I have the worst memory ever... I may forget some things to put in here or repeat some things even. Apologies in advance!

I did learn after attempting this post before that I'm going to skip the obvious packing items. You know you need to pack your hair brush and toothbrush right? :thumbsup2 All those "of course items" I'm not going to mention... because of course you need them. My first post attempt was literally giving you my Disney Packing List doc. Now I'll attempt to give you those weird items that maybe aren't obvious. Those things that I don't pack when I'm going places other than Disney sort. Maybe you know them, maybe you don't.

tenor.gif

Here we go!

tenor.gif

- Extension Cords and Surge Protector - I use my laptop in the room and often am using my cell phone while it's charging. Longer cords, multiple plugs, etc. are all good things!

- Collapsible Laundry Tote - Easy way to keep laundry contained in the room and even easier to pack.

pop up hamper.jpeg

- Over the Door Shoe Organizer - There are many variations of this you can find, but super friendly to have for the variety of small things to pack for Disney. Especially because...

- Become a Baby Walgreens - At least I do. Every over-the-counter medicine I think anyone could possibly need? I got it. The popular ones I have on me in a little pill case. The rest I have in room. I think being in an environment you're not used to and eating the horrible foods you're not used to can stir up all sorts of trouble. I'm talking allergies to tummies. Anti-itching creams to eye drops.

- Band-aids and Their Friends - Moleskin and/or Molefoam is a Disney must for me. (make sure you pack scissors or pre-cut some before you go!) Band-aids, blister thingies, and New-skin also make the cut. Haha! I didn't mean to be punny. I love it when that happens.

molefoam bandaids.jpg
blister.jpg
nuskin.jpg

- Anti-chafing Cream/Stick - There are a variety of options for this sort of thing. I use one by Bodyglide and I love it.

- Odds and Ends - Scissors. Somehow I always end up needing scissors. Getting into toys, cutting a tag off that's itching someone. Pens. A sharpie. Small notepad. Chapstick. Ear plugs. Because even if there isn't going to be a seventy-year-old man snoring in your room, there are elevators, babies crying, elephants running about, etc. Let's face it, everyone tries to keep it down at Disney, but noises happen. If noises can get to you, ear plugs can be your friend! Glasses fixing kit. I always take one and Disney security has yet to take it away from me. I'm super paranoid to lose a glasses screw at The World you know? Stamps. If you want to send Disney Mail! Portable battery pack. Because you use that cell phone so much more at Disney. Clothes pins or chip clips. This can help hang towels or suits on the clothes line or keep the curtains closed. Lysol wipes. For obvious reasons. Ziplocs. Seriously. Various sizes. I use them for so. many. things. Hand anti-bacterial stuff. 'Cause germs. Germs at Disney. :sick:

ZLK90.gif

- Laundry - Laundry pods. Dryer sheets. Stain removal pen. If you're like me and can't eat without making a mess... Extra hangers. Because there is never enough. Obviously this, along with a lot that I mention, is one of those awesome "because I'm driving" perks.

980x.gif

- Ponchos - I have a stash of throw away ponchos. One use and toss 'em types. I've picked them up here and there over the years. Usually I do a bit of research to see if I can buy a bulk pack online to get them for less than a dollar each.

- Water Flavor Drops - I am all about free water at Disney. I've never been a soda drinker. I think it stems from not having soda as a kid. I was raised on tea and then found out I couldn't have caffeine when I was really young. But it's nice to have a little something now and then. However, I still don't want to drink calories. At Disney if I'm getting bottled water or get to choose a bottled water option with a meal I'll choose Smart Water. No sugar, but added electrolytes. Same with Powerade Zero. I really like these...

powerade zero drops.jpg

- Fans and Towels - We usually pack misting fans or cooling fans. Also, some of those cooling towels. Again, so many variations of these. But you'll definitely pay more for those fans in the park. I need to try to find ours between now and the trip...

On an ending packing note-- I'll be very intrigued to see how the weather will be for us. I feel like the weather has been very unpredictable lately. I have a feeling I'll over-pack in this area as well for some "just in case" scenarios.

tumblr_n0fplgvOHV1ssccu8o1_500.gif

Usually October would still be hot for me in Orlando. I'm a little hopeful it'll be a bit more on the Autumn scale. Fingers are crossed, but no breath is held!

giphy.gif

Attachments

• hanging organizer.jpeg
    hanging organizer.jpeg
    23 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
REAL LIFE UPDATE:

I got the flu. :sick: That was no fun. Being contagious is the worst because I have to miss school.

As if the flu wasn't rude enough? It gave me pneumonia. :guilty:

So being sick has been kicking my booty.

My Disney excitement has been stalking the Park Hours calendar and seeing my dates get closer and closer. Park Hours currently show through August 24th! I'm impatiently waiting for March to start ticking by so I can see OUR dates. I'm a wee bit concerned that come April 1st I won't be able to see some of our October date hours and will be making blind ADRS. :sad2:

Fingers crossed!

215 days to go! :cheer2:

6. Flying: It Could Happen.

073efb4f76bf636a0233917c5dcb3054d3ff37c7_hq.gif

Pay lots of money. Usually.

However! Yesterday sister took a look at flights on a whim. She actually found non-stop flights out of Dallas and non-stop returns for all six of us, plus a van while we're in Orlando for less than $1,200.

tumblr_m2k0z4qDxj1r9rwa7o9_r1_400.gif

Now, don't get me wrong. That amount is nothing to sneeze at. But for all of us? PLUS a van? That is an amazing deal. Add to it the fact we wouldn't be driving for 18 hours and could get in some Disney Springs time on arrival night?

Yes, please! :cheer2:

It's not the best airline and they'd be new to us, but I'm okay with that. Because all the reasons above. I'm aware of the "you get what you pay for" and who can't suck it up for a 3-hour flight? We certainly can! We'd also be driving a few hours to Dallas and pay for parking there. Not a deal breaker, though.

So this is currently on the table as a legit possibility. I'm excited! My sister, of course, pointed out that my packing style would have to change. :rolleyes1

But again the good outweighs the bad! Fingers crossed we can make this happen!

Love this PTR! I'm planning a September 2018 family trip as well and love reading your posts! Can't wait for the next one.

7. A BIG Update

Guise.

It happened.

We did it.

WE'RE FLYING.

giphy.gif

We ended up paying a total of about $1500 for a roundtrip, non-stop flight for Sister's family, my dad, and myself. Plus travel insurance. Plus a minivan for our time in Orlando. MADNESS I TELL YOU.

I would never have thought we'd end up doing this. Again, I'm totally okay with controlling myself on packing to avoid an 18-hour drive. (I can always ship things if I must) Plus! Our flight gets in about 3 pm Friday. Hellooooo, Disney Springs. The return flight leaves around 10 in the morning. This means getting up rather early Saturday, unfortunately. The years we lived in the Orlando area... well, let's just say I have a lot of experience with transportation, the airport, and the hell that is often I-4. So I'm paranoid enough to leave early to ensure we don't miss our flight due to something unexpected in route.

Of course, since we'll have the van we plan on stopping by Publix on the way to the hotel for water, snacks, light breakfast things and such. Can I just take a moment to tell you how much I miss Publix? I miss them. I miss their sales. Their petite fours. Their subs. Soooo good. They also have amazing cookies in the bakery. Seriously. Stop at Publix. :cloud9: My Marmee was a giant fan of Wawa coffee. I'll prolly feel the need to make a Wawa stop at some point as well. What's sad? There's actually a small list of places. The Chinese restaurant by our old house. Not going to lie... we likely ate there once a week on average. They knew us. Also, there's a great chicken wing place. A lot of good food outside of Disney if you know where to go. All places I won't get to go to. Womp.

ALSO! Trista has found October hours posted, so I've put together a tentative schedule.

disney schedule 032218.JPG

The biggest goals are to optimize EMH and avoid Epcot on weekends at all cost. Of course, I'm sure I'll update these hours between now and the trip, but having a plan in place come ADR time is key.

We decided the last day would be open to doing whatever everyone feels like they may have missed or want to do again. Trista and I also discussed doing four parks in one day.

giphy.gif

It's an exciting thought! I think we could pull it off. Maybe.

The last bit of news for this update includes the parentals:

My dad is planning a day trip to visit friends nearby. He'll likely look at our plans and pick a repeat day at a park to do this.

Pam and James miiiiiight not be coming. It's very unclear right now.

In the meantime, we are all very excited! Adding flight plans really geared us up.

190 days!:cheer2:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!