Oh! The places we ate!

Chim Chiminy

stale marshmallows sting when they hit you
Cast of characters: myself, DH,DD, DS

Starting with our arrival day, August 13. After close to 21 hours on the road, my husband wanted a nice sit down meal with someone waiting on him. I called Disney Dining and got us a 7:30 PS at Kona Cafe in the Polynesian Resort.
Perfect way to start our Disney vacation.
We had a wonderful server, wish I had gotten her name.
My husband had the Oven Roast Chicken with Vegetables and Mashed Potatoes. He declared it an A. He also had two very strong Mai Tais. Also an A.
I had the Seafood Potstickers and a bowl of fresh made Tomato and Basil soup. Both off of the appetizer menu. Both out of this world good! The soup was slightly chunky, not smooth, with fresh basil on top. The Potstickers had a wonderful gravy over them. I was very impressed. A+
DD had the Mickey Pasta, and she ate every last bite! She declared it very good. A
DS ordered the Crab Cakes on Banana Bread Gratin off the appetizer menu. He really liked the crab cakes, and the fresh baby greens in the middle of the plate, but wasn't so fond of the banana bread. He said it was hard to eat, it was slightly crisp. Still, for a ten year old with a spotty appetite, he ate two out of three crab cakes. B+
For dessert, I split the Kona Kiddie Kone with DD and DS. One was really enough for the three of us. Our server made the ordering and presentation of this dessert a lot of fun.
This will be a must-do on our next trip.

Thursday August 14
Our day at Seaworld
We ate breakfast in our room. Box cereal, poptarts.
Lunch was at Seaworld. Nobody was really hungry, so basically we snacked. Popcorn (very salty, very buttery), pretzel, and they have a refillable souvenir cup which we thought was a great bargain. (Anyone from WDW listening??)
Dinner---Bahama Breeze on I-Drive. Just a few minutes from Seaworld. We were seated right away.
For starters, we ordered the Cuban Bread. A loaf of bread with olive oil (I think?) sliced tomatoes spread lengthwise across it, sprinkled with herbs and cheese, then broiled. Very good. My DH and DS ate this up. A
I had Black Bean soup. It was good. Nothing special. B
DS had Coconut Prawns off the appetizer menu. Then he wound up peeling off the coating.:rolleyes: B
DD had a cheese pizza that she did not touch. no grade
I had the special, which was Cuban Salmon Tostada. Very good. Grilled salmon on top of some greens, onion, roasted peppers, with a garlic aoli sauce drizzled on it and mango salsa, all on top of a thick tostada. Different, but the flavors all went well together. A
I can't remember what DH had, but he ate all of it! Must have been good, because he was impressed with the restaurant and says we would eat there again. Everything was fresh, and they cook in an open kitchen.

Glad you liked Kona. A place I've not yet tried, but it certainly sounds like they have fine food and service.

We are just below you in Tamaqua and have toyed with the idea of driving. Can you be brutally honest with me and tell me how bad it was? We can get flights out of ABE for $59 one way--Would it be worth it for us to drive?

BTW--They are putting in a Bahama Breeze in the King of Prussia Mall.

Hentob

... but for some reason, I absolutely love to read about where other people ate! I guess it's sort of like when adults ask kids what they want to be when they grow up... they're looking for ideas, and so am I.

I also love when people rave about one of my favorite restaurants, as with the Kona Kafe. Truth be told, I've eaten there four or five times and never had anything but the Tonga Toast! But after hearing about those potstickers... well, it might be time to pepper my "usual items" with a few new things. After all, variety is the spice of life, right?

Richard

Hentob--the drive down is really not so bad. We took 81 down to 83 then got on 95 around Baltimore. We left at 8:30pm so the kids would sleep most of the way. There is a lot of construction on 95, through every state. We sat for thirty minutes in Virginia--around 1:00am--I thought no way are we going to be backed up at 1am! But we were. I pulled over at a rest area near the NC/SC border around 4:30 and we slept until 8:30 then got back on the road. We had frequent restroom breaks (4 and 10 year olds), and stopped for breakfast at IHOP. We arrived at the Contemporary right around 6pm, which was a little later than I anticipated, but still we were full of energy and happy to be there.
On our drive back we decided to include a hotel stop because we were exhausted from the week. We went a different way, which my husband liked better, less traffic. Still some construction, but at least we didn't get backed up. We took a route (off of 95, I want to say it was 77) toward Columbia, SC then Charlotte, NC.
We came up through Virginia near Roanoke, Luray, etc. I think that was on 81. Then we stayed on 81 which brings you into PA through Chambersburg, Carlisle, Harrisburg. We had two sit down meals on the way up.
We left Sunday from Downtown Disney at 3:45pm and arrived home Monday at 9:15pm. We stopped right outside of Columbia at a hotel at midnight and were on the road by 10:30.

Hentob--the drive down is really not so bad. We took 81 down to 83 then got on 95 around Baltimore. We left at 8:30pm so the kids would sleep most of the way. There is a lot of construction on 95, through every state. We sat for thirty minutes in Virginia--around 1:00am--I thought no way are we going to be backed up at 1am! But we were. I pulled over at a rest area near the NC/SC border around 4:30 and we slept until 8:30 then got back on the road. We had frequent restroom breaks (4 and 10 year olds), and stopped for breakfast at IHOP. We arrived at the Contemporary right around 6pm, which was a little later than I anticipated, but still we were full of energy and happy to be there.
On our drive back we decided to include a hotel stop because we were exhausted from the week. We went a different way, which my husband liked better, less traffic. Still some construction, but at least we didn't get backed up. We took a route (off of 95, I want to say it was 77) toward Columbia, SC then Charlotte, NC.
We came up through Virginia near Roanoke, Luray, etc. I think that was on 81. Then we stayed on 81 which brings you into PA through Chambersburg, Carlisle, Harrisburg. We had two sit down meals on the way up.
We left Sunday from Downtown Disney at 3:45pm and arrived home Monday at 9:15pm. We stopped right outside of Columbia at a hotel at midnight and were on the road by 10:30.
We don't think the drive is too bad. With two adults to take turns. We have a TV/DVD combo for the kids and pack lots of travel toys for them. I also made everyone a travel pillow so nobody gets neck cramps...
Of course $59 one way is a pretty good fare, I think. So I guess it is individual preference.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter