Oh noooo...

Aliceacc

DIS Veteran
My 19 year old son is taking an EMT course this spring, free through the fire department just this one session per year.

He completely forgot that we're going to WDW this summer.

I seriously doubt he'll be able to miss 4 classes in an 8 week session.

So he's going to see what the story is. I'm hoping that, if it's OK to miss even just one class, he'll be able to join us for at least a few days.

I know he's a big boy and needs to take advantage of this wonderful opportunity. But a family vacation without the whole family just won't be the same.

EMT class is tough to miss--you have to put in a certain amount of hours of practice time AND classroom time. He should look at the schedule, though--sometimes, they have make-up days if people miss (more for the practical stuff). Missing 4 classes isn't going to fly, but he might be able to miss one.

As a practical matter, you're going to have to adjust your expectations as a mom, in general. I know it's hard! But my older two (DD22, DS20) don't go on every family vacation anymore. They just can't--DD is a teacher herself, living 800 miles from us, and DS20 is on a college schedule that's different from the younger two (DD22's schedule is also slightly different). This coming summer, we have DD22 joining DH, DD14, DS12, and I for a trip to Europe--older son isn't going (his choice). Then later in the summer, DS20 will be joining us on a ranch vacation, and DD22 will be driving to meet us, along with her cousin, for a few days there. I have to take what I can get!

My 19 year old son is taking an EMT course this spring, free through the fire department just this one session per year.

He completely forgot that we're going to WDW this summer.

I seriously doubt he'll be able to miss 4 classes in an 8 week session.

So he's going to see what the story is. I'm hoping that, if it's OK to miss even just one class, he'll be able to join us for at least a few days.

I know he's a big boy and needs to take advantage of this wonderful opportunity. But a family vacation without the whole family just won't be the same.
Are they classes he can make up or are they classes that it's only one chance to go to them?

Is the information he would be learning in said class something that he can learn through a book or is it hands-on learning that is important to be there?

Oh, there’s no getting around it.. would you want an EMT who had missed the class on whatever you needed help with?

I’ll adjust. I can’t keep them my babies forever.

Oh, there’s no getting around it.. would you want an EMT who had missed the class on whatever you needed help with?
That was my point in asking. I sure as heck wouldn't want an EMT who didn't have all the classes needed. It was just you mentioned in your OP:

I'm hoping that, if it's OK to miss even just one class, he'll be able to join us for at least a few days.

Sounded like you were hoping he could miss at least one class..thus my question.

It's hard as they get older, and I'm sorry he'll miss your family vacation.

Pretty much after high school, I know most families have a hard or impossible time to actually do annual family vacations. We had one last summer, and know it's one of the last ones for all four of us. I'm cool with that, as it's part of them growing up (and now my DH and I are going away just the two of us, every other month, on short but very nice vacations, and loving it!).

I wish your son luck with his class!

I'm hoping I can maybe convince him to come down for 2 or 3 days, working around his EMT classes. We'll see.

I would also go without him. My son is a senior in high school and we did a big trip last year. I'm pretty sure it was our last big family trip anywhere. We may be able to sneak away for long weekends away here and there but I don't know if all of our schedules will work for a 7-10 day vacation for a very long time.

My son who is just shy of his 20th birthday took this class and passed his boards last year. This is not a program where they can miss classes. In fact, my sons class started out with 36 people by the end of the class only 15 or so remained to the completion of the class. In his program each test had to be passed with a minimum score. They were allowed to only retake one test. I think there were between 6-8 test total. Then of coarse they have to pass their boards after completion of the class and ride alongs. Many people were forced out as the class went on because they could not pass test.

My sons long term goal is to be a physician and he has taken several AP science classes/test in high school as well as college science classes. He's technically a college Jr. I watched him study more for this program then any college class he has taken so far. This is an intense program which requires a great deal of commitment. I highly suggest he miss this family vacation.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter