Oh no! Notre Dame is on fire

It hasn't survived all through that time - spire had been replaced, as had one stained glass rose window, etc. Parts of it have been redone many times.

Some of the stained glass isn't original - and a lot of smaller windows were redone as well.

They were not all priceless - some were modern glass.

Hopefully when they rebuild they won't deforest another 52 acres. Perhaps they will come up with a better material?

The spire is a replacement, many of the windows are not original - so it wasn't the same to begin with. With today's technology, I'm sure they will rebuild it to be more fireproof, but still have the same feeling as the (not quite) original.

What's the point of these responses? How sad that you don't see the value and significance of a medieval cathedral because of some "modern" upkeep.

well I guess I don't know how to embed a tweet

I don’t either, so just copied and pasted a photo with credit and twitter link.

56954387_10156155044192694_6113223279646867456_n.jpg

Incredible photo. Their Instagram is amazing...

Last edited:

Notre Dame is a wonderful piece of architecture that I still have yet to see. Had hoped that when I visit Paris eventually it would be available to go inside of.

Not sure how the building is laid out, but if it's anything like its little sister at Notre Dame University then there are more alters than one and perhaps mass can still be held, but to smaller audiences once it is deemed safe to enter those areas. Aw man, this had to happen right before Easter too. :(

Let's just hope Disney doesn't offer to help them rebuild, complete with animatronic priests and talking gargoyles. :D Although, as a non practicing Catholic, I have to admit that might get me to church.

Last edited:
What's the point of these responses? How sad that you don't see the value and significance of a medieval cathedral because of some "modern" upkeep.
I didn't take it that way. I took it as noting that the keepers of the Cathedral have been able to repair major elements of the structure over time before and as such should be able to restore it to its awe inspiring state once again.

What was your purpose for bringing that comment here?

Probably to appreciate the people here who see the sadness. It was positive towards this thread and negative towards someone else she knows.

Guess you wouldn't have gotten as much social justice warrior cred if you left off the American label.

It really gets old.

What gets old? That she was appreciating the Americans here who can see that Europeans can grieve for other Europeans even if it’s not their country? What does social justice have to do with this?

That is quite a picture. Wow.

To remind us that the cathedral has been worked on before, that what we see as ancient has parts that aren’t ancient, isn’t not seeing value. Imo it’s trying to help people. How I took it: “This has been done before and it can be done again...it’s not all ancient massive loss; some ruined things were more recent...”

Those aren’t bad things to know or be reminded of.

It helped me, at least.

As an engineering marvel of its time, I do see its significance. Not sure why you think I don't? I think it will be interesting to see how they rebuild it - will it be done in the old ways, will it have all new technology, will they use new materials?

And to the PP who was amazed that the interior was still standing - that part is made of stone. It will have to be carefully examined for structural weakness, but it should be good to go, unless removing the burned wooden outer skeleton causes it to become more damaged. It's going to be a very hard rebuild. Remember, it took about 100 years to build it the first time!

I sat and cried as I watched the spire fall. I was there in November. Yes, there is an incredible amount of damage. But, I was surprised to see so much of the interior untouched! My dd found an article that said how much damage the cathedral has sustained over the centuries. How it's been looted and used as a warehouse. How parts were destroyed and rebuilt. I guess this is no different. It will be rebuilt. It will remain for future generations..just not the same way that my dd saw it 5 years ago, and as I saw it 5 months ago. But, neither of us saw it the way people saw it 300 years ago, or even 150 years ago.

Probably to appreciate the people here who see the sadness. It was positive towards this thread and negative towards someone else she knows.

What gets old? That she was appreciating the Americans here who can see that Europeans can grieve for other Europeans even if it’s not their country? What does social justice have to do with this?

That is quite a picture. Wow.

To remind us that the cathedral has been worked on before, that what we see as ancient has parts that aren’t ancient, isn’t not seeing value. Imo it’s trying to help people. How I took it: “This has been done before and it can be done again...it’s not all ancient massive loss; some ruined things were more recent...”

Those aren’t bad things to know or be reminded of.

It helped me, at least.
That person just wanted to be super snarky .. there was NO reason for that type of post .. I think everyone understood the posters point and why they shared it . They seem to post ( if you read post history ) like they sit on the throne of a random online forum .. lol

You are being unnecessarily rude .. obviously they were just sharing how silly some people could be on a post talking about the issue .. It was so unnecessary to even try to make that silly point .
Unnecessarily rude? Nope.

It gets old when someone repeatedly uses any and every opportunity -- or simply creates them, to take shots at Americans for absolutely no reason. There was not a single post here in any way diminishing the loss taking place, far from it.

That person just wanted to be super snarky .. there was NO reason for that type of post .. I think everyone understood the posters point and why they shared it . They seem to post ( if you read post history ) like they sit on the throne of a random online forum .. lol

Actually there was NO reason for the post I responded to -- except to bash Americans yet again for absolutely no reason. The same comment could have been made with no label attached, except that wouldn't serve the agenda. If that same comment had been made with any other descriptive label it would have been rebuked. Clearly my thoughts about this whole situation have been super snarky indeed -- all the way back on page one -- super snarky.

One great thing is that in recent years scientists have collected over a BILLION 3D survey data points for the interior and exterior of Notre Dame. It's said that if they wanted to, they could literally 3D-print a complete replica of the cathedral! The effort was detailed in this National Geographic article. The "cloud" of data points will be a treasure trove for the rebuilding effort!

Yes, some of us understood it better than others for sure.

The good thing is that much of the building is stone, and therefore didn't burn. However, the building's stone work was already in need of massive restoration (The restoration work they were currently doing was just a small portion of the overall work needed.) and now they are concerned about the damage the heat of the fire and the water may have done. Plus, the wooden beams helped support the stone walls and now they are gone. And while many items inside did not burn, there will certainly be smoke and water damage to deal with.

DH read that it cost 4+ million euros per year just for the most basic upkeep of the Cathedral, but that the total restoration needed was already over $100 million. And now they have been given a donation of a 100 million from a French benefactor, but it will only be the start of what they will need to rebuild. Plus they will need to find people with incredible skill. However, while rebuilding and restoring will be a monumental project, but I do believe that it could also be a project that can inspire people to work together en masse to accomplish.

My heart goes out to the French people. I am heartbroken and it is not even something I can call my own as they do, so I can only imagine their collective anguish over this.

The article is a little cliche, including think of the children in the title, but lead poisoning should be a huge concern for those downwind of the fire.

https://tamararubin.com/2019/04/as-...tential-tragedy-here-is-far-worse-than-flint/

The number one advice to limit exposure is to get out of Paris. If you are a tourist you should just leave, go far away. If you are a resident, you should just leave, go far away. Don't come back until it has rained.

I expect this fire to have long reaching health effects.

As an engineering marvel of its time, I do see its significance. Not sure why you think I don't? I think it will be interesting to see how they rebuild it - will it be done in the old ways, will it have all new technology, will they use new materials?

And to the PP who was amazed that the interior was still standing - that part is made of stone. It will have to be carefully examined for structural weakness, but it should be good to go, unless removing the burned wooden outer skeleton causes it to become more damaged. It's going to be a very hard rebuild. Remember, it took about 100 years to build it the first time!

I think you will find this thread interesting regarding protocols. According to a disaster rescovery lecture, the oaks in Versailles are farmed for such an event.

https://twitter.com/_theek_/status/1117895531563372544?s=21

The good thing is that much of the building is stone, and therefore didn't burn. However, the building's stone work was already in need of massive restoration (The restoration work they were currently doing was just a small portion of the overall work needed.) and now they are concerned about the damage the heat of the fire and the water may have done. Plus, the wooden beams helped support the stone walls and now they are gone. And while many items inside did not burn, there will certainly be smoke and water damage to deal with.

DH read that it cost 4+ million euros per year just for the most basic upkeep of the Cathedral, but that the total restoration needed was already over $100 million. And now they have been given a donation of a 100 million from a French benefactor, but it will only be the start of what they will need to rebuild. Plus they will need to find people with incredible skill. However, while rebuilding and restoring will be a monumental project, but I do believe that it could also be a project that can inspire people to work together en masse to accomplish.

My heart goes out to the French people. I am heartbroken and it is not even something I can call my own as they do, so I can only imagine their collective anguish over this.
The French "benefactor" is Francois-Henri Pinault and his father, French billionaires and owners of Kering, which owns multiple luxury brands like Gucci, Stella McCartney, Saint Laurent and Balenciaga. AKA Salma Hayek's husband.

Another has pledged 200 million euros, so we're off to a good start.

I think you will find this thread interesting regarding protocols. According to a disaster rescovery lecture, the oaks in Versailles are farmed for such an event.

https://twitter.com/_theek_/status/1117895531563372544?s=21

That's going to strip that area a bit much though, to replace all of it that was burned away. Perhaps they should use some steel too?

Looking at the newest photos, it seems some of the stone rib vaults fell in the nave. That's going to be hard to duplicate without it sticking out like a sore thumb.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter