Oh no! Notre Dame is on fire

Discussion in 'Community Board' started by wvjules, Apr 15, 2019 at 1:21 PM.

1. AurumPunzel

AurumPunzel Mouseketeer

It's so heartbreaking to see centuries of history go up in flames, and more so the beautiful spire and stained-glass windows destroyed. I now fear that the Notre Dame may never be saved and when rebuilt, will never be the same again.

2. Dano1182

Dano1182 DIS Veteran

I have been browsing the boards preparing for our up coming trip.

Watching the Cathedral Burining is heart breaking.
    I am thinking of the French People who work in Epcot.

I have always found them to be wonderful people.
    Our home base is BWV so when we do go to Epcot France is one of our first places we stop.
    If anyone is there a kind word of support willl be aprceiated by them .I am sure.

bobbiwoz, figment52 and PollyannaMom like this.
  3. Avatar

Advertisement

4. BrianL

BrianL Doom Buggy Driver

Latest news is better. Towers are believed to be safe and the fire is cooling.

Thank you to all the firefighters who are valliantly and professionally battling this fire and working to save as much as possible! The world will be forever indebted for any of the cultural icons that were saved.

5. DIS_MIKE

DIS_MIKE DCL Commodore

It's great to know the towers will be saved. Hopefully they will incorporate it into the construction of a new Notre Dame Cathedral. It definitely needs to be rebuilt but it may take a century. The National Cathedral in D.C. is beautiful but also took 83 years to complete.

6. neverlandsky

neverlandsky DIS Veteran

Hope this was an accident. The blessing here is that it can and will be rebuilt due to there’s so much documented history to do so. They’ll use artifacts from the fire and have an exhibit no doubt. Granted nothing is as good as the original, yet Notre Dame will indeed live on.

7. lynxstch

lynxstch I Love Figment

PollyannaMom likes this.
  8. JaxDad

JaxDad DIS Veteran

The Paris Fire Brigade is actually part of the French Army. They are outstanding.

BrianL likes this.
  9. Dano1182

Dano1182 DIS Veteran

10. lifesavacation

lifesavacation DIS Veteran

This is a loss not only for Paris but the world. It’s irreplaceable. I’m feeling blessed to have seen it during our trip to Paris. Heartbreaking.

ronandannette likes this.
  11. pixiedustedme

pixiedustedme Planning is half the fun

This is tragic. I hope it will be rebuilt as it was before.

12. bobbiwoz

bobbiwoz I'm happy to dance with you!

Our first trip to Paris is this September. Last week as I was in the French pavilion in Epcot, I smiled to think I would be seeing ND in person soon.

I hope some part of it can be saved.

Lehuaann likes this.
  13. Lehuaann

Lehuaann aloha nui loa

PollyannaMom and Mome Rath like this.
  14. ronandannette

ronandannette I gave myself this tag and I "Like" myself too!

Oh thank the Lord - the facade including the sculptures and the rose window (minus stained glass) is intact.

15. Planogirl

Planogirl I feel the nerd in me stirring

I felt like I'd been sucker punched when I saw this. It didn't seem like it could possibly be real.

16. kdonnel

kdonnel DVC-BCV

Looking back at the coverage from daylight hours, that was an incredible amount of yellow smoke. That is a sign of lead oxide in the smoke. I wouldn’t want to be down wind. Paris might have a lot of lead poisoning cases soon.

The spire was lead coated oak. The roofs were lead. Lots of lead.

17. Fldisneyfamily4321

Fldisneyfamily4321 Mouseketeer

You are being unnecessarily rude .. obviously they were just sharing how silly some people could be on a post talking about the issue .. It was so unnecessary to even try to make that silly point .

18. PollyannaMom

PollyannaMom I was a click-clack champ!!

Yikes!

19. DisneyOma

DisneyOma DIS Veteran

It hasn't survived all through that time - spire had been replaced, as had one stained glass rose window, etc. Parts of it have been redone many times.

Some of the stained glass isn't original - and a lot of smaller windows were redone as well.

They were not all priceless - some were modern glass.

Hopefully when they rebuild they won't deforest another 52 acres. Perhaps they will come up with a better material?

The spire is a replacement, many of the windows are not original - so it wasn't the same to begin with. With today's technology, I'm sure they will rebuild it to be more fireproof, but still have the same feeling as the (not quite) original.

AurumPunzel and bumbershoot like this.
  20. Geoff_M

Geoff_M DIS Veteran, DVC Member, "Cum Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Warning! PURE SPECULATION on my part: I thought of this when I heard that the fire coincided with a restoration. Such things can make the dangers of a major fire during such work a real possibility. If they were doing work on the roof they may have been working with tar, lead and/or solder, which requires a significant heating source to prepare materials for application. It's not hard for a small "Oooops!" in such settings to turn things into a major disaster in a hurry. In the case of the county courthouse I mentioned earlier, a worker was trying to solder two pieces of replacement copper gutter together, as part of a major restoration that was to be completed in time for the city's 200th birthday party, when he accidentally set the roof on fire and the next thing you know 15 fire departments are trying to put out a major blaze that reduced the 150+ year-old three-story structure to a brick shell.

21. jdb in AZ

jdb in AZ It could end up curdled