Oh no! Notre Dame is on fire

This is devastating to watch..heartbreaking. At least the front edifice still stands and should be saved but the cathedral itself and priceless artifacts it contained are gone.

A world icon...800 years of history lost forever.

Keep Parisians in your prayers.

Last edited:

I just read this on Twitter.

"Everything is burning. The framework, which dates from the 19th century on one side and the 13th century on the other, there will be nothing left," said Andre Finot, a spokesperson for the cathedral. It's devastating to see this beautiful structure up in flames.

Norte-Dame Cathedral spokeswoman said “the [whole structure is] burning... there will be nothing left. It remains to be seen whether the vault, which protects the cathedral, will be affected or not.”

This is sad to watch. Thinking of all that has and will be lost before the fire is out. Hundreds of years of history.

and over on Twitter on my timeline, there an American asking why should I care about Notre Dame burning, its not my culture, its not my people, its not my church... like seriously???

I’m hoping they can save the front facade and the beautiful stained glass...even if they can, there’s already been such a great loss...I’m just stunned.

yes I know, I unfollowed this person, especially after seeing this thread. Also I know from the Disneyland Paris section here on DIS that many Americans who visit Paris have Notre Dame on their bucket list

We were schedule to visit before DLP in a few weeks!

I am so sad my family will not get to experience this beautiful landmark.

What was your purpose for bringing that comment here?

because I saw the outpouring of grief and sympathy here on this thread for Paris, from open minded, cultured Americans, who actually understand the huge loss to world history, and then on Twitter the self absorbed, uncultured who I just unfollowed!

This is just so heartbreaking. Generations of culture and history and faith up in flames.
We were just there in the fall - took my son for his first trip to Paris. We didn't go inside on that trip, for various reason, and now I'm so sad that we didn't, and that my younger daughter won't ever get to see the majesty or experience mass in the cathedral.

ETA: Watching the spire fall definitely brought to mind the same feeling on 9/11 of utter disbelief in watching something so massive and at the heart of a city crumble.

What time is it in Paris right now? We visited Notre Dame in 2017 around mid-day. There were literally thousands of people there; twice that many maybe if you counted those outside waiting in line and milling around the square observing the architecture from the exterior. Notre Dame is a "working" church, not only a tourist attraction and many of the people there at any given time are actually attending services and going about routine parish life. Evacuating them all seems like a pretty daunting task - prayers for everyone involved.

I read the fire started just before 7pm Paris time, soon after it was closed to the public for the day. The report said an average of 30,000 people visited daily.

Devastating any time, but this is also Holy Week for observant Catholics.

I visited way back in 1987.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!