OH NO! Injury 22 days before trip!

ccrosswhite

Mouseketeer
My Mother who is the one who is paying for all 11 of us to go to Disney World the 28th through the 5th was diagnosed with tendonitis today and is in a soft cast and walking boot!
She has to go back the 27th for follow up, and may get these off but now will probably have to use a wheelchair or ECV for the trip.
Any hints or suggestions? What can we expect if she has to use one of these?
Should we cancel the trip?

Don't cancel. We brought my MIL to Disney when she was 85. She could walk but the distances at Disney meant a wheelchair was needed. We tried an ECV with her and she found it overwhelming because people would dart in front of her all the time. Your mom can use a wheelchair to move from one section of a park to another and then walk when she feels up to it. The wheelchair can be taken through most ride queues as well. There is a disability forum section on these boards that has a lot of info. Have fun!

The disABILITIES FAQs thread has a list of offsite vendors near the end of the 2nd post. Does your mom drive? An ECV will give her more independence, but requires quite a bit of mental attention to drive in the crowds. Or she may prefer to be pushed in a wheelchair since your party sounds like you have at least a few to share pushing duty. Most queues are mainstreamed so the wheelchair or ECV can go through the queue right to the ride car.

Enjoy your vacation!

Don't cancel!! But do rent ECV or wheelchair. I've had great success with Walker Mobility. Also, you can take your own Ziploc bag or get free retail bag and get (free) ice from the sidewalk vendors for ice breaks!

If you are not used to pushing a wheelchair, bring a pair of finger-less bike gloves. This will prevent "hot spots" or blisters on your hands.
When you first enter each park, be sure to stop at the map kiosk and find the maps for disabilities. This will show you which rides require a transfer wheelchair (Pirates, for example)

No need to cancel! I would suggest an ECV unless those in your party are very physically fit. I've pushed my tiny grandmother around WDW in a wheelchair in the summer heat and it was no easy task! You'd be surprised how much of the parks are sloped.

When I was 8 mo. pregnant my husband had emergency knee surgery the week of our trip and we ended up getting an ECV for that, since I wasn't allowed to push. He was also not allowed to weight bear at all and we rigged up a device to hold his crutches that he also required at all times when not sitting.

My mom now regularly travels WDW in an ECV and it really isn't that big of a deal once you get used to it. She can walk short distances so she frequently parks it, but we also travel with a stroller so we are used to parking/retrieving a lot anyway. There is a ton of info out there on the DISabilities board as a PP mentioned.

My 14 year old broke his foot the day before our trip last year. He had the walking boot, but doctor told us to keep him in the wheelchair as much as possible. He transferred out of the chair for all rides, stayed in the chair for shows. Some rides we took the wheelchair into the queue and some we didn't depending on how tired he was and what the queue itself was like.

A few things -- if you haven't dealt with a wheelchair or ECV on a bus before, start researching now. I had no idea how to handle it and I found that some bus drivers were wonderful but I did run into a bus driver who wouldn't lower the bus to roll the chair in, had me fold the wheel chair and carry it into the bus while my son hobbled in on his crutches. I did report this driver. (yes the bus was capable and it was a nearly empty bus in the middle of the day)

My son was more effected by the sun and heat while sitting in the wheelchair then he is walking around in the heat. We had to take afternoon breaks which we wouldn't normally do. He needed more shade.

Make sure you have something to either dry off the chair or cover it in the rain. Even if you leave it under something so it won't get wet, people will move it.

Check out the seat of the chair - -my son was more comfortable with a pool towel on the seat.

Have something to attach to the chair so you can easily identify it in a sea of similar chairs. We tied an Eagles pennant to the back of the chair.

Unfortunately, I was stunned by the rudeness of people. People literally walked straight into him while he was in the chair. A teenage girl stepped over the arm of his chair, sticking her rear end directly in his face. Someone dropped trash in his lap. We learned to encircle him as we walked to minimize this. Of course, other people were wonderful and went out of their way to assist. A man on the bus ride from hell carried the wheel chair off the bus for me and made sure I was going into the resort to report this and many others were helpful in small ways that made a big difference to us.

My Mother who is the one who is paying for all 11 of us to go to Disney World the 28th through the 5th was diagnosed with tendonitis today and is in a soft cast and walking boot!
She has to go back the 27th for follow up, and may get these off but now will probably have to use a wheelchair or ECV for the trip.
Any hints or suggestions? What can we expect if she has to use one of these?
Should we cancel the trip?

DO NOT CANCEL.

Now that is out of the way... If you think your Mom wants to drive an ECV, I suggest her "test driving" one at your local grocery store. These are about the same as those rented directly from Disney once inside the parks. If she is comfortable with that, I would suggest renting from an off-site company. There are several on the internet. They are cheaper than renting from Disney and you have it with you in the resort. Disney lists some companies as "featured" providers on their website. To be "featured", the company pays Disney a fee to be able to store the ECV at baggage storage at the resorts. "Featured" has nothing to do with their service or quality levels. There are numerous posts on the DisABILITIES forum that have reviews of both "featured" and non-featured ECV providers. I have used Buena Vista twice in the past. I did get stranded in Hollywood Studios with a faulty battery during the first time. Next time, I requested a newer model (which worked great - but shouldn't have to request that). This time I'm renting one from Gold Mobility. Their rentals are less than Buena Vista and they offer more accessories (included in the rental fee) than most providers. They are not a "featured" provider, so I have to meet them in the lobby to pick up the ECV. I scheduled the time when I made the reservation.

If your Mom (or you) are not comfortable with using an ECV, definitely rent a wheelchair from an off-site provider. Once again, renting one off-site is more beneficial financially. I second a previous posters suggestion of getting some type of gloves for the pusher(s) to wear. I made the mistake one year of not having any while pushing my Mom around Magic Kingdom during MNSSHP. My palms were red raw the next 2 days. I ended getting some weight lifting gloves to use since they had a padded palm.

Most providers (ECV & WC) offer accessories that will hold canes, crutches, etc. I highly recommend paying the extra couple of dollars to get them.

Cast members are trained for dealing with guests that use ECV and wheelchairs. They will direct you at each ride (and attraction/show) where to go and if there is an alternate entrance or a specific location to "park". I've gone several times solo while using an ECV and have never had a bad experience with a cast member (including bus drivers). Now other guests are a different matter entirely. You will run into clueless ones not paying attention to where they are going, ones that are rude, etc., but you will also meet ones that will offer to assist and hold open doors and gates for you. From the sounds of your party size, you could easily create a protective barrier around Mom (whether she uses an ECV or a wheelchair) by having some of you in front as trailblazers, some on the sides as buffers, and a few in the back as bumpers.

I hope you still decide to go. Just remember, a bad day at Disney is ALWAYS better than a good day anywhere else.

Don't put pressure on mom to go on a trip now. If she wants to reschedule, it's not the end of the world. If she wants to go, make it as easy on her as possible.

The disABILITIES FAQs thread has a list of offsite vendors near the end of the 2nd post. Does your mom drive? An ECV will give her more independence, but requires quite a bit of mental attention to drive in the crowds. Or she may prefer to be pushed in a wheelchair since your party sounds like you have at least a few to share pushing duty. Most queues are mainstreamed so the wheelchair or ECV can go through the queue right to the ride car.

Enjoy your vacation!

She drives, hoping that she gets a good report the day before we leave, but doesn't want us pushing her, so she says she will rent an ecv.

DO NOT CANCEL.

Now that is out of the way... If you think your Mom wants to drive an ECV, I suggest her "test driving" one at your local grocery store. These are about the same as those rented directly from Disney once inside the parks. If she is comfortable with that, I would suggest renting from an off-site company. There are several on the internet. They are cheaper than renting from Disney and you have it with you in the resort. Disney lists some companies as "featured" providers on their website. To be "featured", the company pays Disney a fee to be able to store the ECV at baggage storage at the resorts. "Featured" has nothing to do with their service or quality levels. There are numerous posts on the DisABILITIES forum that have reviews of both "featured" and non-featured ECV providers. I have used Buena Vista twice in the past. I did get stranded in Hollywood Studios with a faulty battery during the first time. Next time, I requested a newer model (which worked great - but shouldn't have to request that). This time I'm renting one from Gold Mobility. Their rentals are less than Buena Vista and they offer more accessories (included in the rental fee) than most providers. They are not a "featured" provider, so I have to meet them in the lobby to pick up the ECV. I scheduled the time when I made the reservation.

If your Mom (or you) are not comfortable with using an ECV, definitely rent a wheelchair from an off-site provider. Once again, renting one off-site is more beneficial financially. I second a previous posters suggestion of getting some type of gloves for the pusher(s) to wear. I made the mistake one year of not having any while pushing my Mom around Magic Kingdom during MNSSHP. My palms were red raw the next 2 days. I ended getting some weight lifting gloves to use since they had a padded palm.

Most providers (ECV & WC) offer accessories that will hold canes, crutches, etc. I highly recommend paying the extra couple of dollars to get them.

Cast members are trained for dealing with guests that use ECV and wheelchairs. They will direct you at each ride (and attraction/show) where to go and if there is an alternate entrance or a specific location to "park". I've gone several times solo while using an ECV and have never had a bad experience with a cast member (including bus drivers). Now other guests are a different matter entirely. You will run into clueless ones not paying attention to where they are going, ones that are rude, etc., but you will also meet ones that will offer to assist and hold open doors and gates for you. From the sounds of your party size, you could easily create a protective barrier around Mom (whether she uses an ECV or a wheelchair) by having some of you in front as trailblazers, some on the sides as buffers, and a few in the back as bumpers.

I hope you still decide to go. Just remember, a bad day at Disney is ALWAYS better than a good day anywhere else.

Thank you for the great info. I appreciate the encouragement. This trip is for their 45th anniversary and she doesn't want to postpone. Also, one of my nephews on the trip goes to boot camp 2 weeks after we return, so he won't be able to go later.
We will do out best and make it magical for her in the best way possible.

Don't put pressure on mom to go on a trip now. If she wants to reschedule, it's not the end of the world. If she wants to go, make it as easy on her as possible.
\
The funny thing is I offered to reschedule last night and she is adamant that she wants to go. We have a nephew entering boot camp 2 weeks after we return and with my brother in the army and myself working for the state of Oklahoma it is hard to get everyone together.

Do not, I repeat, do not cancell your trip. This February my wife injured her achilles tendon at the airport going down to WDW and found she could only walk a few steps before having to sit. Easy enough. She got off the bus at a park and there are multiple wheelchairs just sitting there for you to use to get to the front gates of the parks. Then we went to the service desk and rented a wheelchair for the whole day. Wasn't very much at all. We had the best time because due to our ages (mid 60's) and my wife being a heart patient, I was able to scoot around the whole park without any of our usual breaks following only 15-20 minutes of walking. Saw and did more. We actually got preferential treatment at several rides and restaurants because she was in a wheelchair. Go and enjoy.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter