Oh! My Peanut butter! (a 2013 PHM report)

Ann, I finally catch up only to find it's over. :(:(:(

I enjoyed the updates I missed, and so glad that you enjoyed the pool and slide at CSR (I love that slide and it's the only one I'll go down at Disney).

Your remaining days seemed perfect to me...a little relaxation, enjoying World Showcase (which I love) and getting in some favorite rides before you left.

Glad you were able to catch up. I think this report was a bit short... but the trip itself was too. Fall will be much longer!

However...just remember that the waitlists are filled overnight by the system. So if someone cancelled a ressie that matches your waitlist, and someone else either sees it online or calls in and finds it available, it could be taken before the system has the ability to "match". So it's good to do both, have the waitlist but then still check.

so I will stick with what I am doing for now. :goodvibes

I would think you could easily book room only now and then convert if you wanted. Or wait till the 10th. I know we have quotes for a reservation that goes until 1/6 for my folks.

I can't even book a room only right now. I am not sure if it is the new online system being weird or if they actually can't book right now. I am really hoping that come 7/10 there will be some discounts... so I figure I can wait till then to book...maybe. Course since you say you have a quote for 1/6... yeah.. I might need to call.

I really fail to see the point of selling your bib or transferring it other than getting your registration money back. As I understand it, you can "authorize" the transfer but that other person is still running in your name, Disney won't change that. Theoretically that then shows as "your" race time, even though it isn't and for future RD events if nothing else, you would think they could see the times and if it is a huge discrepancy it could possibly cause issues if it was an authorized and noted transfer. I kind of figure that the registration is a sunk cost although I bet if you had trip insurance, and had to cancel vor a covered reason, it might be covered. Not sure. I've heard that the defer has to be for the same exact race the following year but the verbiage doesn't read that way...ugh.

You can authorize someone to pick it up... but not to run it. I think the reason RD does not want anyone running in your place is because (and this is a suspicion of mine) that maybe they take into account your past RD events in corral placement. I suspect this to be the case because of the rep telling me that despite my 10k time he didn't think I would be able to actually maintain the pace that my 10k would suggest for my half. I have to think he looked at my ToT time. (which was quite a bit slower... I finished the half in almost a half an hour less than I did the 10miler) Even with trip insurance... there is no refunds on race registration. :sad2: I have read that deferment now has to be for the same race and that this is a new change. I have not looked at the verbiage on it. I briefly looked it over for phm this year when I wasn't sure if I would go.

:thumbsup2 maybe I should start taking iron! That is amazing. Are you planning another 10K between now and ToT for your ToT time/placement submission?

Being anemic... chronically, can definitely affect pace. I tend to run seriously low on iron. (almost to the point of needing a transfusion) I haven't had myself tested in a while. (my doctor closed her doors back in March and the doctor I tried to start with left me feeling like I don't want to try any new doc)

As for the ToT and another 10k. I could... I mean, I plan to run a 10k next month. However, I suspect with heat it will be hard to beat my 9:07 pace. I also don't really think I need to. The gals I am running it with will already probably not be in the same corral as me. It is likely that we won't run together. So really, I will just either position myself to the front of C... or toward the front of B or the back of A...depending on what corral I get. I don't worry about being swept no matter what corral I am in. Short of an injury. (knock on wood) I can't see my pace being over 16 min per mile. With the heat and humidity, I figure my goal will be about 11 min per mile.. but would be happy with 12 minutes per mile. If I decide there are too many characters I NEED to stop for... then 13 minutes per mile is what I would be happy with. Basically, I just need to PR this race. Since last year was nearly a 17 minute pace... anything below that will be a win!

The rum cake looks amazing! We have to try that one. I am so glad you love WS I too love just wandering around and looking at everything...we should make a great pair! I see ZEPPOLES....:lmao:.

You flew right over me on your way home, I hope you remembered to wave down at me!

We are going to have an excellent time! I only wish that the trip was after the race and not before. We don't want to run ourselves too ragged or eat too much rich food... and it will be food and wine...so how do we do that? I actually think I am conditioning myself fine for whatever. Given that I ran almost 9 this past weekend... and didn't really "prep" for it. I lived life normal..ate what I wanted. I should be fine. I even drank alcohol this week... and it didn't impact me too badly on the run. Of course, maybe that is why my pace has been slower.. and not the lack of iron. :scratchin maybe I need to stay about from those adult drinks... ;)

It is! Now, I know you run all over WDW. Where is your favorite resort to run? So far I have only ran between POR and POFQ and CSR. I think I like the run around CSR better. Although, running along the river is kinda cool too. :scratchin

I'm not sure if I have a favorite, because they are all wonderful. There is only one resort that I don't like for running and that's AKL and Kidani. There is literally no where to go.

I guess if I had to pick my favorite I would probably say SSR, but I have really have the best memories of running at the Caribbean Beach because I ran over to Pop Century early in the morning.

I'm not sure if I have a favorite, because they are all wonderful. There is only one resort that I don't like for running and that's AKL and Kidani. There is literally no where to go.

I guess if I had to pick my favorite I would probably say SSR, but I have really have the best memories of running at the Caribbean Beach because I ran over to Pop Century early in the morning.

I imagine with the size of SSR, it would be a good place to run. I just am a bit intimidated by the size of the resort. I think unless we do a spectacular trip one year at the THV I probably won't be staying there.(and it would have to be far in the future cause a. we don't have that kinda of points now... and b. I have all of our points "allocated" for quite some time with multiple trips a year)

so I will stick with what I am doing for now. :goodvibes

I would book and waitlist as long as it wasn't borrowing stuff you wouldn't use in that UY anyway. If it is then I might hold off.

I can't even book a room only right now. I am not sure if it is the new online system being weird or if they actually can't book right now. I am really hoping that come 7/10 there will be some discounts... so I figure I can wait till then to book...maybe. Course since you say you have a quote for 1/6... yeah.. I might need to call.

That's a little nutty as we are at 180 days aren't we for that start date?

Our quote may be possible as the start date of the ressie is in Dec.

You can authorize someone to pick it up... but not to run it. I think the reason RD does not want anyone running in your place is because (and this is a suspicion of mine) that maybe they take into account your past RD events in corral placement. I suspect this to be the case because of the rep telling me that despite my 10k time he didn't think I would be able to actually maintain the pace that my 10k would suggest for my half. I have to think he looked at my ToT time. (which was quite a bit slower... I finished the half in almost a half an hour less than I did the 10miler) Even with trip insurance... there is no refunds on race registration. :sad2: I have read that deferment now has to be for the same race and that this is a new change. I have not looked at the verbiage on it. I briefly looked it over for phm this year when I wasn't sure if I would go.

I did see a transfer option but it looked crazy complicated...almost like having to get it notarized and then the person would still be running in your name.

Being anemic... chronically, can definitely affect pace. I tend to run seriously low on iron. (almost to the point of needing a transfusion) I haven't had myself tested in a while. (my doctor closed her doors back in March and the doctor I tried to start with left me feeling like I don't want to try any new doc)

Ah, that makes sense. Too bad you live so far away, I adore my doc! I could ask her for a reference if you like, she's been amazing on the referral side.

That has to be frustrating. My iron is crazy high, to the point of people making funny comments about it when I donate blood. I eat a lot of iron rich foods but it's just luck that I love spinach as much as I do.

As for the ToT and another 10k. I could... I mean, I plan to run a 10k next month. However, I suspect with heat it will be hard to beat my 9:07 pace. I also don't really think I need to. The gals I am running it with will already probably not be in the same corral as me. It is likely that we won't run together. So really, I will just either position myself to the front of C... or toward the front of B or the back of A...depending on what corral I get. I don't worry about being swept no matter what corral I am in. Short of an injury. (knock on wood) I can't see my pace being over 16 min per mile. With the heat and humidity, I figure my goal will be about 11 min per mile.. but would be happy with 12 minutes per mile. If I decide there are too many characters I NEED to stop for... then 13 minutes per mile is what I would be happy with. Basically, I just need to PR this race. Since last year was nearly a 17 minute pace... anything below that will be a win!

With 9:07, even with heat, humidity and pictures I won't be surprised if you beat 11 given how much you've been running and your consistency at the longer distances. You run pretty much in the am to avoid the heat right? But yes, I can see where you don't need to submit a new time with that.

We are going to have an excellent time! I only wish that the trip was after the race and not before. We don't want to run ourselves too ragged or eat too much rich food... and it will be food and wine...so how do we do that? I actually think I am conditioning myself fine for whatever. Given that I ran almost 9 this past weekend... and didn't really "prep" for it. I lived life normal..ate what I wanted. I should be fine. I even drank alcohol this week... and it didn't impact me too badly on the run. Of course, maybe that is why my pace has been slower.. and not the lack of iron. :scratchin maybe I need to stay about from those adult drinks... ;)

All things in moderation and it is all good. I can see giving things up right before a race but just in training...hmmn...can't necessarily see myself going quite that far though certainly the night before long runs is probably not prudent.

That's a little nutty as we are at 180 days aren't we for that start date?

Well, after you mentioned you had a quote I called. The cm said that their online system is not ready for the new year, but that he could book a room only for me, no problem. :cool1: So I now have everything booked. (time to start that PTR)

That has to be frustrating. My iron is crazy high, to the point of people making funny comments about it when I donate blood. I eat a lot of iron rich foods but it's just luck that I love spinach as much as I do.

That is so funny! My fil is that way and donates...and has to stay away from using cast iron or he gets "too high" I eat tons of spinach...take iron sups... use cast iron... eat red meat. I am still dangerously low. I swear... I almost died when my youngest son was born nearly 18 years ago. I lost so much blood during surgery that my hematicrit went down to 16. My levels have never ever returned to normal. 18 years!?!

With 9:07, even with heat, humidity and pictures I won't be surprised if you beat 11 given how much you've been running and your consistency at the longer distances. You run pretty much in the am to avoid the heat right? But yes, I can see where you don't need to submit a new time with that.

Well, for the phm my pace was 11:07. Granted that will be nearly a year of training between that and the donald... but at the time of the phm, I was running a similar pace to what I am now. I do avoid the heat by running early. I think the I get the humidity still...but the heat is not there.

All things in moderation and it is all good. I can see giving things up right before a race but just in training...hmmn...can't necessarily see myself going quite that far though certainly the night before long runs is probably not prudent.

That is always a good rule to follow... moderation.::yes:: I am running every other day, so I don't necessarily drink the night before a run day... but I might have a drink on a run day. however, I wont have anything for a day or two before the ToT race...

Well, after you mentioned you had a quote I called. The cm said that their online system is not ready for the new year, but that he could book a room only for me, no problem. :cool1: So I now have everything booked. (time to start that PTR)

Glad you were able to at least get a placeholder, I always feel better if I have something booked, even if it is likely that it's not what I'll end up keeping

That is so funny! My fil is that way and donates...and has to stay away from using cast iron or he gets "too high" I eat tons of spinach...take iron sups... use cast iron... eat red meat. I am still dangerously low. I swear... I almost died when my youngest son was born nearly 18 years ago. I lost so much blood during surgery that my hematicrit went down to 16. My levels have never ever returned to normal. 18 years!?!

that is crazy!!!!!!!!!!! How much cast iron is he around? :rotfl: I didn't know someone could get too high in iron. Wierd!

Well, for the phm my pace was 11:07. Granted that will be nearly a year of training between that and the donald... but at the time of the phm, I was running a similar pace to what I am now. I do avoid the heat by running early. I think the I get the humidity still...but the heat is not there.

Yes but ToT is shorter and your speed training seems to really have improved the shorter distance pace. Not to mention race adrenaline. LOL! All that really matters is that you are happy with your pace and you have fun and if you have time for a photo or two, that's fabulous!!!

Depending on the time, you'd actually have more humidity in the early am but lower temps so you don't feel it the same way I think as our dew point is lower, running later we get the heat when we have it but the humidity is lower by then. From a training perspective I would think it's not all that different than the DL races would be but vastly from FL I imagine.

That is always a good rule to follow... moderation.::yes:: I am running every other day, so I don't necessarily drink the night before a run day... but I might have a drink on a run day. however, I wont have anything for a day or two before the ToT race...

We do like a glass or two wine with dinner on the weekend I must admit. Generally though our runs are at night although the past few weeks we have done the Sunday one in the am, and did that on the 4th as well to avoid the heat. It's funny though, when I first started this I figured that the Tuesday or Wednesday run would be my best as it's after 1-2 full days off of anything. Instead it's often the most sluggish. Go figure!

I really would love to read a recap of your May trip. Sheesh... I can't believe it has already been a couple months since your trip!!! Still... would be fun to read. :goodvibes
Well, there's not really much to recap. I can do it in one paragraph here :)

Thurs - fly to WDW. Drinks at CBR pool bar. Bed.
Fri - DHS (first day of SWW). Crowded and long lines. TSM, ToT, RNR, lunch at Pizza Planet, LMA, Sci-Fi dinner, Animation Academy, Star Tours.
Sat - AK. Breakfast at Pizzafari. Not too crowded. Safari, EE, Dinosaur, Primeval Whirl x2. CBR for late lunch, pool bar time, nap. MK for EMH. New Fantasyland, Spaceship Earthy, BTMRR, dinner at Pecos Bills, horrible crowd during MSEP.
Sun - Epcot. Soarin, TT, Mission Space Orange, F&G festival (last day), Horizons pavilion, walk around the World, dole whips with spiced rum, bad rain, lunch at Japan, Starship performed, dinner at Coral Reef
Mon - Breakfast at 'Ohana. Catch DME and go home.

I don't have many pics, other than photopass. It was such a quick trip. Maybe I'll add parts of it to my blog after I finish the flotilla.

Glad you were able to at least get a placeholder, I always feel better if I have something booked, even if it is likely that it's not what I'll end up keeping

I am most likely going to change our reservation. I feel kinda bad over it since I am sure Zoe would love LOVE to stay where I booked, but I can't get past the idea of the walk to the front of the resort on race morning. I just suspect it will be too long of a walk. We will see though... I mean. I guess it is possible that we would get put in an outlying building at another resort and still have the walk.

However...regardless of where we end up, the important thing is I am booked and can make ADRs in a just a few days!!

that is crazy!!!!!!!!!!! How much cast iron is he around? :rotfl: I didn't know someone could get too high in iron. Wierd!

I don't know... apparently iron is transferred into the food from the pan. This is why you are not suppose to cook acidic foods in cast iron.

Yes but ToT is shorter and your speed training seems to really have improved the shorter distance pace. Not to mention race adrenaline. LOL! All that really matters is that you are happy with your pace and you have fun and if you have time for a photo or two, that's fabulous!!!

I think I will always strive for improvement... but I am happy with my pace. I feel as though this pace wont change by much now. I doubt I will ever be a 7 min per mile runner or less...

Depending on the time, you'd actually have more humidity in the early am but lower temps so you don't feel it the same way I think as our dew point is lower, running later we get the heat when we have it but the humidity is lower by then. From a training perspective I would think it's not all that different than the DL races would be but vastly from FL I imagine.

Some mornings it is quite humid...for sure. I think for this reason, maybe I haven't been too bothered by the humidity in fl. (knock on wood) It is kinda hard to say. I know that for the ToT, people seriously complained about the humidity. I didn't really feel that poorly... BUT I didn't run much of it either. The heat was there, and I imagine had I ran more of it I would have felt more uncomfortable. The phm, was humid that morning... but reminded me of here in a lot of ways. (even though I trained during our wet months)

We do like a glass or two wine with dinner on the weekend I must admit. Generally though our runs are at night although the past few weeks we have done the Sunday one in the am, and did that on the 4th as well to avoid the heat. It's funny though, when I first started this I figured that the Tuesday or Wednesday run would be my best as it's after 1-2 full days off of anything. Instead it's often the most sluggish. Go figure!

So wine at dinner comes after you have run... I imagine that doesn't affect anything all that much. I wish I could run in the evenings. I am much more of a night owl... but because of that... running in the morning is like I get it done before my brain can figure out what my body is doing!

Well, there's not really much to recap. I can do it in one paragraph here :)

Thurs - fly to WDW. Drinks at CBR pool bar. Bed.
Fri - DHS (first day of SWW). Crowded and long lines. TSM, ToT, RNR, lunch at Pizza Planet, LMA, Sci-Fi dinner, Animation Academy, Star Tours.
Sat - AK. Breakfast at Pizzafari. Not too crowded. Safari, EE, Dinosaur, Primeval Whirl x2. CBR for late lunch, pool bar time, nap. MK for EMH. New Fantasyland, Spaceship Earthy, BTMRR, dinner at Pecos Bills, horrible crowd during MSEP.
Sun - Epcot. Soarin, TT, Mission Space Orange, F&G festival (last day), Horizons pavilion, walk around the World, dole whips with spiced rum, bad rain, lunch at Japan, Starship performed, dinner at Coral Reef
Mon - Breakfast at 'Ohana. Catch DME and go home.

I don't have many pics, other than photopass. It was such a quick trip. Maybe I'll add parts of it to my blog after I finish the flotilla.

:rotfl2: I love your little TR! ;) Seriously though... I didn't realize you had a blog. I will have to go back and do a little reading!

I am most likely going to change our reservation. I feel kinda bad over it since I am sure Zoe would love LOVE to stay where I booked, but I can't get past the idea of the walk to the front of the resort on race morning. I just suspect it will be too long of a walk. We will see though... I mean. I guess it is possible that we would get put in an outlying building at another resort and still have the walk.

However...regardless of where we end up, the important thing is I am booked and can make ADRs in a just a few days!!

I am sure she will love it no matter where you are. I am SO ready to be done making ADR's. LOL! However with the new development today things may firm up faster than I thought which would make me very happy...I can actually start thinking about booking flights.

I think I will always strive for improvement... but I am happy with my pace. I feel as though this pace wont change by much now. I doubt I will ever be a 7 min per mile runner or less...

I'd be thrilled with your pace!

Jeff is a 7m mile, or less (at his best) and honestly it has been a deterrent for me for a long time. To me that's always been in the ballpark of what I'd historically though of running versus jogging. Which I know is outdated thinking but was baggage for sure. I don't expect to get there, ever and frankly don't know how much I can expect it to change from what it is now period.

I do feel that a 10K at or just under 60 minutes is not out of the realm of possibility over the next 6 months or so. My 5.5 miles on Sunday was at 56:34 (including all those darn lights lol) so that's kind of my target to get down to and is consistent with my average shorter run or 5K pace. We will see. Frankly I was far happier that I made it that far and it felt good all around, that's really all that mattered. It was pretty funny though. When we run, we start out together and then either Jeff laps me or I just finish earlier depending on how far each of us goes. This time we didn't chat when we left the house and as I was heading back up the hill I realized that he had no idea which way I'd gone, and he must have gone the other way since he hadn't lapped me yet..and that he might be getting worried! And he was. Oops! He asked the neighbors if they'd seen me as they pulled up while he was out front drinking his water. Not only had he gone the other way, but he hadn't gone quite as far. Only about a 1/2 mile less but with his pace it makes a big difference. LOL!

Some mornings it is quite humid...for sure. I think for this reason, maybe I haven't been too bothered by the humidity in fl. (knock on wood) It is kinda hard to say. I know that for the ToT, people seriously complained about the humidity. I didn't really feel that poorly... BUT I didn't run much of it either. The heat was there, and I imagine had I ran more of it I would have felt more uncomfortable. The phm, was humid that morning... but reminded me of here in a lot of ways. (even though I trained during our wet months)

Well our dew point is so much lower that it makes sense your mornings would be humid and that would help and that it would be a bit similar at that time of year there even though a bit warmer.

So wine at dinner comes after you have run... I imagine that doesn't affect anything all that much. I wish I could run in the evenings. I am much more of a night owl... but because of that... running in the morning is like I get it done before my brain can figure out what my body is doing!

That's pretty funny! What has been interesting, and surprising is the morning runs I have done (not much of a benchmark, only 3) have all been really lovely. Although it's not exactly early...9-9:30. My brain doesn't function well before that (or coffee). If I try to workout earlier than that, it's typically pathetic and I imagine running would be the same.

I am sure she will love it no matter where you are. I am SO ready to be done making ADR's. LOL! However with the new development today things may firm up faster than I thought which would make me very happy...I can actually start thinking about booking flights.

:cool1: booking flights makes is sooo much more final

Jeff is a 7m mile, or less (at his best) and honestly it has been a deterrent for me for a long time. To me that's always been in the ballpark of what I'd historically though of running versus jogging. Which I know is outdated thinking but was baggage for sure. I don't expect to get there, ever and frankly don't know how much I can expect it to change from what it is now period.

That is awesome that he has that pace!!! You just have to not let it get to you. He is a guy... and just by that fact alone will be faster. Tis why they sequester the boys to the 3rd corral at the phm. A princess has to cross first ya know. ;)

I do feel that a 10K at or just under 60 minutes is not out of the realm of possibility over the next 6 months or so. My 5.5 miles on Sunday was at 56:34 (including all those darn lights lol) so that's kind of my target to get down to and is consistent with my average shorter run or 5K pace. We will see. Frankly I was far happier that I made it that far and it felt good all around, that's really all that mattered. It was pretty funny though. When we run, we start out together and then either Jeff laps me or I just finish earlier depending on how far each of us goes. This time we didn't chat when we left the house and as I was heading back up the hill I realized that he had no idea which way I'd gone, and he must have gone the other way since he hadn't lapped me yet..and that he might be getting worried! And he was. Oops! He asked the neighbors if they'd seen me as they pulled up while he was out front drinking his water. Not only had he gone the other way, but he hadn't gone quite as far. Only about a 1/2 mile less but with his pace it makes a big difference. LOL!

you are doing awesome!!! 5.5 in 56:34?!! You know... my best 10k with the 9:07 pace... I want to say I was at 56:xx. So just a .7 miles is not all that much more for you to catch up to me! And... that was my BEST 10k. I bet you are running my pace now.

Well our dew point is so much lower that it makes sense your mornings would be humid and that would help and that it would be a bit similar at that time of year there even though a bit warmer.

Yeah.. the heat here is no where near what it is in fl.. even when starting a race before the sun is up!

:cool1: booking flights makes is sooo much more final

Yes it does! I found a crazy good deal (for that time of year anyway) for the return flights so we may pull the trigger on that leg shortly. Outbound will wait until we get back from Denver as then we will have enough miles for 2 tix on that leg and pay cash for the rest. Fingers crossed the miles tix are still available in a month!

That is awesome that he has that pace!!! You just have to not let it get to you. He is a guy... and just by that fact alone will be faster. Tis why they sequester the boys to the 3rd corral at the phm. A princess has to cross first ya know. ;)

Dang guys. This is also a guy who doesn't believe you need to run a 1/2 marathon length in training, to be able to do one (or likewise for a full) and has done both. Even sequestered in C I bet they pass a lot of princesses (or some do) but hopefully never coming in first!

you are doing awesome!!! 5.5 in 56:34?!! You know... my best 10k with the 9:07 pace... I want to say I was at 56:xx. So just a .7 miles is not all that much more for you to catch up to me! And... that was my BEST 10k. I bet you are running my pace now.

I am NOT running 9:07 :rotfl2: not anywhere close! Add 30-40 seconds on a shorter "good" run and assume no bio break or stoplights lol. You seem to hit that a lot on your runs, "best" 10K aside :) I'm probably a full minute behind you depending on the length. I feel like I'm slowing down, not speeding up and I know I'm impatient, it's only been 10 weeks. And I'm not doing a race for over a year. I really need to chill out I know. Not my nature.

Last night was a bit disastrous mentally, I decided (deliberately) not to pause RK when I went to the bathroom. Very depressing. But I figure if I want it to be real, pausing it isn't really doing me any favors. Not to mention it was just horribly slow all around, so very off it was a bit disconcerting after Sunday feeling so good. I do not know why my first run after a few days off always seems poor, makes me nervous about the whole tapering off idea!

Yeah.. the heat here is no where near what it is in fl.. even when starting a race before the sun is up!

Well here is what is interesting. In FL in the am, you actually have relatively low humidity as their dew point is in the high 60's or low 70's. We are backwards. Ours is in the mid 50's I think so spring/summer am will actually be the highest humidity, though not in heat. So it actually is pretty comparable to the Jan-April FL weather in a lot of ways at least from that standpoint. On an "average" day anyway.

Sent you a FB message, your PM box is full lol.:joker:

Yes it does! I found a crazy good deal (for that time of year anyway) for the return flights so we may pull the trigger on that leg shortly. Outbound will wait until we get back from Denver as then we will have enough miles for 2 tix on that leg and pay cash for the rest. Fingers crossed the miles tix are still available in a month!

I will keep fingers crossed the the miles tickets are still available.

I am watching Alaska flights for January for us.... I hope they come down just a hair more... just a hair.

Dang guys. This is also a guy who doesn't believe you need to run a 1/2 marathon length in training, to be able to do one (or likewise for a full) and has done both. Even sequestered in C I bet they pass a lot of princesses (or some do) but hopefully never coming in first!

I know the galloway method takes you over... but I didn't run a half distance before running the half. Most of what I had read suggested if you can go 10.. then race day excitement will carry you through for your half. It held true for me.

As for guys in C...and not coming in first. I don't think they have. Close maybe though...

I am NOT running 9:07 :rotfl2: not anywhere close! Add 30-40 seconds on a shorter "good" run and assume no bio break or stoplights lol. You seem to hit that a lot on your runs, "best" 10K aside :) I'm probably a full minute behind you depending on the length. I feel like I'm slowing down, not speeding up and I know I'm impatient, it's only been 10 weeks. And I'm not doing a race for over a year. I really need to chill out I know. Not my nature.

I can appreciate all your feelings. I am forever in competition with myself and thinking I need to push. You have TONS of time to get better.
Last night was a bit disastrous mentally, I decided (deliberately) not to pause RK when I went to the bathroom. Very depressing. But I figure if I want it to be real, pausing it isn't really doing me any favors. Not to mention it was just horribly slow all around, so very off it was a bit disconcerting after Sunday feeling so good. I do not know why my first run after a few days off always seems poor, makes me nervous about the whole tapering off idea!

I pause for bio breaks. My thinking is this... I need to gauge what my running pace is and then add to it a cushion. For the ToT ten milerI didn't need a single bio break. For the phm, had I used a PoP before I went to my corral, I could have done fine. Lately though, I can't seem to make it more than a couple miles and I need a bio break... Point is... there is inconsistencies in my need for a bio break. I need to be consistent with my pace adding those in would make it so that I would have a hard time knowing where I sit. I could be anywhere from an 8 1/2 minute mile to a 15. That would make it hard to plan.

As for your run itself feeling not as good. I do hate that.. some runs just feel great while others leaving you thinking "what just happened?" Tappering is just a way to let your body build up some of the energy it is use to expending during a run. Kinda like holding back at the gates the horses. Maybe you are not seeing a great run when you have had a short break because your body expecting to use energy and storing it... it is still in the "thank god we arent doing that today mode" I don't know.. maybe not. It isn't like you have been sedentary...and just now starting up with activity.

Sent you a FB message, your PM box is full lol.:joker:

:rotfl2: Of course it is! I am horrible about deleting messages... and I tend to message someone often. :rolleyes1

I will keep fingers crossed the the miles tickets are still available.

I am watching Alaska flights for January for us.... I hope they come down just a hair more... just a hair.

I really need to look at this hard on sunday and maybe buy the return leg, just no time to do it until then!

I know the galloway method takes you over... but I didn't run a half distance before running the half. Most of what I had read suggested if you can go 10.. then race day excitement will carry you through for your half. It held true for me.

that is good to hear, I like that training plan much better :lmao: my sister has done the same thing and it's worked well for her.

I pause for bio breaks. My thinking is this... I need to gauge what my running pace is and then add to it a cushion. For the ToT ten milerI didn't need a single bio break. For the phm, had I used a PoP before I went to my corral, I could have done fine. Lately though, I can't seem to make it more than a couple miles and I need a bio break... Point is... there is inconsistencies in my need for a bio break. I need to be consistent with my pace adding those in would make it so that I would have a hard time knowing where I sit. I could be anywhere from an 8 1/2 minute mile to a 15. That would make it hard to plan.

that is a very good point! Inconsistencies here too that is for sure

As for your run itself feeling not as good. I do hate that.. some runs just feel great while others leaving you thinking "what just happened?" Tappering is just a way to let your body build up some of the energy it is use to expending during a run. Kinda like holding back at the gates the horses. Maybe you are not seeing a great run when you have had a short break because your body expecting to use energy and storing it... it is still in the "thank god we arent doing that today mode" I don't know.. maybe not. It isn't like you have been sedentary...and just now starting up with activity.

I think you were good luck today, very good run tonight (other than the slight stomach cramps from eating way too much at that dumb golf tournament...and boy did I need to run it off!). Best overall pace and timed mile so far :cool1: Nothing earth shattering but a very good run, very pleased esp given the vast quantities of food today, caffeine and little water.

I have to tell you something funny though..when I do have a slow run I do check to see if it is my ovulation time after your comment on that. I think it's PMS that slows me down. Amazing the difference a better bra makes, then again aybe it was the new socks I bought on the way home...or not stopping for a bio break. LOL! I just hope at some point the run after my days off speeds up, that really bugs me!

I really need to look at this hard on sunday and maybe buy the return leg, just no time to do it until then!

I think there is still time. My hope is to watch and be prepared to move on something.. but not get "serious" until this fall. Course, this fall is only a couple months away...:rolleyes:

that is good to hear, I like that training plan much better :lmao: my sister has done the same thing and it's worked well for her.

I am sure you will be fine! You are in great shape...and I think you could probably do the 10miler right now without it killing you. The half is just a bit more training... For me, it was those first miles that were the hardest. (and often still are) I run a few miles and then BAM some how I get to six. (except yesterday... I have a bit of a cold and I made it to a little over 4 and figured I was done) Once I was able to run 6 everything else started falling into place.

that is a very good point! Inconsistencies here too that is for sure

I am really not liking that lately I have so much in the way of inconsistencies... I like running and not needing a bio break. That USE to be my normal. Now my normal is hard to predict.

I think you were good luck today, very good run tonight (other than the slight stomach cramps from eating way too much at that dumb golf tournament...and boy did I need to run it off!). Best overall pace and timed mile so far :cool1: Nothing earth shattering but a very good run, very pleased esp given the vast quantities of food today, caffeine and little water.

I am so glad you had a good run!

I have to tell you something funny though..when I do have a slow run I do check to see if it is my ovulation time after your comment on that. I think it's PMS that slows me down. Amazing the difference a better bra makes, then again aybe it was the new socks I bought on the way home...or not stopping for a bio break. LOL! I just hope at some point the run after my days off speeds up, that really bugs me!

For me it is that time after ovulation. It is the progesterone that slows me...so ::yes:: first half the month is great...second half no so much.

Thanks for meeting up today!!!

I think there is still time. My hope is to watch and be prepared to move on something.. but not get "serious" until this fall. Course, this fall is only a couple months away...:rolleyes:

Yes, I wasn't really planning on booking anything quite yet, it's more in my August-October budgets as we have a vacation in a few weeks so...we will see. Still though, $171 on the return is awfully tempting!

I am sure you will be fine! You are in great shape...and I think you could probably do the 10miler right now without it killing you. The half is just a bit more training... For me, it was those first miles that were the hardest. (and often still are) I run a few miles and then BAM some how I get to six. (except yesterday... I have a bit of a cold and I made it to a little over 4 and figured I was done) Once I was able to run 6 everything else started falling into place.

I probably could make it 10 without dying and I definitely wouldn't have thought that 10 weeks ago. I only did 4 yesterday but then again, wasn't really planning more or less, just had a general time goal (at least 30, not more than 45), a planned route, and a set timed mile in there. I think it was a good training run though and given how my week seems to flow keeping that timed mile on my Friday runs may be a longer term approach. I will say though having routes plugged in to RK (and doing them over and over) is helping it be more accurate, I swear I can hear it re-calibrating!

I had told Jeff last week, maybe after that 5.5? that I did think I needed to pick up my overall pace a bit and that may have fallen into place today. I've been feeling like I needed to but then struggling with the fear that I do that, can't maintain and the crash is worse. LOL! I've been trying to be careful not to go too fast the first mile or 2 and by doing that it seems it's just slowed the overall down. I had meant to be a little slower the first 10 min but felt really good so let it be a little faster and then did the timed mile after that. I did slow down after that but probably could have gone longer without quite the slow down. Anyway, a long winded way of saying I am not sure I am doing myself favors by trying to be a little slower at the start. End result was best first 2 miles ever and the last 2 weren't horrible either so apparently I didn't overdo it which has been my fear.

I am really not liking that lately I have so much in the way of inconsistencies... I like running and not needing a bio break. That USE to be my normal. Now my normal is hard to predict.

I SO hear you there and really is my big fear on a longer race. I keep thinking of porta potties and lines and aack! The really bad run this week...I swear I went 3 times before leaving the house, once during the run and then again after. What is up with that? I didn't drink THAT much water in the afternoon!

Thanks for meeting up today!!!

We will definitely have to do it again, it was so much fun!

I will say though having routes plugged in to RK (and doing them over and over) is helping it be more accurate, I swear I can hear it re-calibrating!

That is what I have kinda found too... more time I do a route the more accurate it seems.

Anyway, a long winded way of saying I am not sure I am doing myself favors by trying to be a little slower at the start. End result was best first 2 miles ever and the last 2 weren't horrible either so apparently I didn't overdo it which has been my fear.

I think everyone has a "groove" Some can hold back and wait till the end. Some can start out fast. I have to find my pace immediately. If I start of slow... I never get much faster. If I give it too much, then I am up and down in pace the entire run. If I find a comfortable pace... I can maintain it for the entire run. So I try to breath through my nose for the first half mile. If I can do that... it is the right pace that I will be able to maintain and not die at the end.

I SO hear you there and really is my big fear on a longer race. I keep thinking of porta potties and lines and aack! The really bad run this week...I swear I went 3 times before leaving the house, once during the run and then again after. What is up with that? I didn't drink THAT much water in the afternoon!p

:rotfl: Honestly, PoPs use to be a "no way no how" deal for me. Usually there is no real way to wash...and I just don't find them all that sanitary. However, in the past year I have come to realize coming in contact with a few germs is worth it. However... yeah, I DON"T know what is up with the need. I too make sure all necessary breaks have been dealt with prior to the run...

We will definitely have to do it again, it was so much fun!

:thumbsup2 :goodvibes

That is what I have kinda found too... more time I do a route the more accurate it seems.

I do wish it was more accurate as invariably it thinks I am faster than I am. Sometimes a lot, sometimes only a little. We will be running in a new area tomorrow so it will be interesting to see if the gps is better.

I think everyone has a "groove" Some can hold back and wait till the end. Some can start out fast. I have to find my pace immediately. If I start of slow... I never get much faster. If I give it too much, then I am up and down in pace the entire run. If I find a comfortable pace... I can maintain it for the entire run. So I try to breath through my nose for the first half mile. If I can do that... it is the right pace that I will be able to maintain and not die at the end.

Hmmn...through the nose the first half mile...that's fascinating! I feel like my breathing is inconsistent, sometimes through the nose, sometimes mouth, sometimes both.

:rotfl: Honestly, PoPs use to be a "no way no how" deal for me. Usually there is no real way to wash...and I just don't find them all that sanitary. However, in the past year I have come to realize coming in contact with a few germs is worth it. However... yeah, I DON"T know what is up with the need. I too make sure all necessary breaks have been dealt with prior to the run...

:thumbsup2 :goodvibes

I think it's too many years of camping and soccer tournaments where I am a bit "whatever" about it. Gotta go, you gotta go! At least now they have the antibacterial gel dispensers (usually) growing up those didn't exist, you were lucky if there was toilet paper! then again it may have just as much do with the fact that our cabin, until very recently, had an outhouse! Bleh but, whatever. :rotfl2: Germs are a funny thing, in small doses not such a bad thing from an immune system standpoint.

Hmmn...through the nose the first half mile...that's fascinating! I feel like my breathing is inconsistent, sometimes through the nose, sometimes mouth, sometimes both.

So after I posted that, I paid better attention on my next run. :rolleyes1 so it isn't a full half mile. It is more than a quarter... but less than a half. But..yeah... if I can find a groove and breath through my nose during that portion, I seem to have a even pace the rest of the run. The rest of the run though definitely is nose...mouth...both.

So after I posted that, I paid better attention on my next run. :rolleyes1 so it isn't a full half mile. It is more than a quarter... but less than a half. But..yeah... if I can find a groove and breath through my nose during that portion, I seem to have a even pace the rest of the run. The rest of the run though definitely is nose...mouth...both.

LOL! that's funny. It is interesting though. I had a major headphone fail last friday, broke mine after my run (still plugged in to the phone, went to bathroom, phone fell and wires finally came loose after too many times of that happening lol!). Can NOT run without my tunes! So got new ones and they are a bit long so I'm fighting with the cords a bit right now, I need to tie them up somehow. Anyway...it made for an off start last night and my breathing never seemed to get right. It wasn't a bad run but the off start definitely set the tone a little. that and adjusting them as I ran...as they flopped. LOL.

Funny though, it was a little on the slower side of my normal pace and we started from a different spot than usual. Jeff lapped me about a half/quarter mile from the end but was really pissed when he found out where my turn around spot was as he is SURE he should have lapped me far earlier than he did. Jeesh. I swear he didn't believe me! Even though its clearly there on RK. I mean he ran a mile further, and he's faster so it bums me out that he laps me and then he's mad it wasn't sooner? :confused3

I may test your breathing theory tomorrow.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter