Oh it's a Jolly Holiday with Masseys, a Pre Trip Report

We spent about an hour in the closet with a 2 year old. But we survived. It touched down about a mile away. Don’t know how much damage yet. Lots more rain today.
Wow I’m so glad you’re all ok. Hopefully not too much damage occurred. You’re all looking very chipper considering you’re stuck in a closet :worship: :thumbsup2
I'm excited about the Magic Bands too. We played around with upgrading on the bands but every time I think I have something picked out it disappears.
ugh! It’s a pain when that happens:mad:

I can’t help with baby swap or anything but I love the outfit and the decals for the shirts. I’m SO EXCITED for you mainly because I can sense your EXCITEMENT all the way over here!!!!!
Stay safe :)

Too cute. no seriously too cute for tornado warnings..
:thanks:
Glad to hear you are all ok!
We were very lucky. And we haven't heard too much on damage, elsewhere, either. So that's really good! I'd rather be over-prepared and say, "whew. that was close." when it's all done instead of, "how could we have possibly even prepared for this" like we all did in 2016. So many people are still recovering from those floods, so I can't imagine the anxiety they felt going into this storm.
I mean, he is just being prepared. Who knows how long you might be in there. He might get hungry later.
:laughing:
Ok, So, IF you wanted to make fast passes in both EPCOT and MK, You would need to that the party tickets on a seperate MDE account, that way you could make the morning EPCOT FP on the main account and then use the FP before the party on the second account.

But personally, I can't bother with this level of stuff. I would make fast passes in EPCOT and just go with the flow when you / they get to MK.
This sounds like the overwhelming response, so I'm going with it! I don't know if we need to be married to times trying to navigate the party anymore than we already are, anyway. So I like that idea. We will just focus on Epcot and wing the rest. I'll be seeing my baby for the first time in 4 days at that party, and that's all i can think about!
:laughing: My money is on Toddler.
Same.
Already knows what a booty call is... at that age!
:rotfl2:
No. Only one park. Decide which is your priority and do that.
I like that idea.
I like it!
:thanks: I think it'll be fun!
Wow I’m so glad you’re all ok. Hopefully not too much damage occurred. You’re all looking very chipper considering you’re stuck in a closet :worship: :thumbsup2
We were pretend camping in the closet... with a portable DVD player. It was more fun than it should've been. Plus we had all the animals in the back of the house with us and if anything was a serious threat, they'd certainly let us know. But we were very lucky to not receive any damage and haven't heard of much either around town. That's a blessing!

I can’t help with baby swap or anything but I love the outfit and the decals for the shirts. I’m SO EXCITED for you mainly because I can sense your EXCITEMENT all the way over here!!!!!
WE ARE SO EXCITED!

Dad (i.e. GRUMPY) likes to GO GO GO and RIDE RIDE RIDE and THRILL THRILL THRILL. Mom keeps saying his pace has slowed down in his older age, but even if that’s true, then he’ll just get grumpy when he can’t keep up with his own expectations. And the center of ALL disappointment is unmet expectations.

Is it sad that we're more worried about the adult than the 2 year old?

Other important thing we just HAVE to see is snow. And to gather all the treats we can.

And the fireworks, we forgot to list the fireworks!

We don’t call her Tinkerbell for nothing.

Ain't that the truth! She has Attitude to spare.

Too cute. no seriously too cute for tornado warnings..

Thank you! We were trying to make the best of it.

Glad to hear you are all ok!

Thank you again!

I mean, he is just being prepared. Who knows how long you might be in there. He might get hungry later.

:rotfl2:

Ok, So, IF you wanted to make fast passes in both EPCOT and MK, You would need to that the party tickets on a seperate MDE account, that way you could make the morning EPCOT FP on the main account and then use the FP before the party on the second account.

But personally, I can't bother with this level of stuff. I would make fast passes in EPCOT and just go with the flow when you / they get to MK.

Yeah I don't think I want to work that hard. I'm just going to concentrate on Epcot. If I'm able to get a 4th FP at MK then that's great.

No. Only one park. Decide which is your priority and do that.

That's going to be the plan.

Thank you! We try not to get too serious and worry JP.

I'm so over it now.

Yes we are!:yay::cheer2::banana:

So guess what? Disney finally released discounts today! :cheer2: :yay: :banana:

I've been following several threads watching for discounts and it finally paid off. The rumors were something would come out this week. I had a reminder to check at 5 am yesterday. A Disney Visa discount was offered. As soon as the phone lines opened yesterday I was calling. But it wasn't for our dates. :crazy2: So this morning I wasn't as hyped up to check. I didn't get up until 5:30 and didn't check until about 5:50. FREE DINING! I was on the phone right at 6 am but the hold time was going to be 2 hours. While I waited I did something I've never done, I modified my trip and guess what we qualified for the discount. I had to upgrade to the Preferred room and hopping but it was still going to save us more than $600. I called poor Michelle and woke her up to make sure I was making the right choice. I proceeded through to check out and I got an error message!:scared1: And then when I went back in the modify button was gone! :confused: I logged back out and tried to book from scratch just to make sure it was still available, and it was. I logged back in and tried to modify, but it was still gone. I still had the window open for booking from scratch and used the chat. The CM suggested trying again and maybe clearing my cookies. I logged out and logged in again and finally was able to change my reservation and complete the sale!!!!:cool1:

Now we have all kinds of new planning opened up to us. We were booked pool view and I was hoping to get in the 50s section in the Tramp building. Now I need to figure out my options for Preferred @ POP. We can now also HOP. So many options to play with.

Did anyone else grab a discount today? I know they had APs and some room discounts too. We got the Quick service for free and paid the difference for regular dining. I know a lot of people don't like the dining plan but it works for us. We're basically paying $22 a day per person to eat. Not as good as totally free but not bad too. I did play with other bookings through the day but I think this works best for us.

Disney finally released discounts today! :cheer2: :yay: :banana:
I heard!
I had to upgrade to the Preferred room and hopping but it was still going to save us more than $600.
Nice! Score!
I proceeded through to check out and I got an error message!:scared1: And then when I went back in the modify button was gone! :confused: I logged back out and tried to book from scratch just to make sure it was still available, and it was. I logged back in and tried to modify, but it was still gone. I still had the window open for booking from scratch and used the chat. The CM suggested trying again and maybe clearing my cookies. I logged out and logged in again and finally was able to change my reservation and complete the sale!!!!:cool1:
Ugh! Pain in the butt.... butt you did get it in the end!

um....

How about I change that to "congrats", instead?
Did anyone else grab a discount today?
Nope.
I know free dining was out but it didn't matter with my AP. Didn't know about AP discounts, so will have to check on that and see if there's better than what I have.

So glad to hear you're all safe! That must have been really scary, but you did such a great job of turning it into an adventure!

I checked the deals for my dates, but my current reservation is still better. We used to do the dining plan when the kids were little - I think it's a pretty good deal for kids under age 9 - but with 5 adults it gets a little pricey.

Still hoping they extend park hours while we're there. Especially now with Rise of the Resistance opening in early December, I would think DHS will be open longer than 9-8:30???
In other news, DH, DS14 and I are heading to Disneyland at the end of August!! Long story how it came about, but I'm in express planning mode. :cool1: DH and I have only been there once before, and this will be my son's first time. He's a huge Star Wars fan and is beyond excited. We're even staying at the Disneyland hotel, which has been a dream of mine for a long time :love:. It's been a rough summer with moving our eldest to North Carolina last week :sad: and our middle son starting college next month. I need something fun to plan.

Nice! Score!

It's certainly better than paying rack rates.

How about I change that to "congrats", instead?

I'll take that.

I know free dining was out but it didn't matter with my AP. Didn't know about AP discounts, so will have to check on that and see if there's better than what I have.

Were you able to use a discount?

So glad to hear you're all safe! That must have been really scary, but you did such a great job of turning it into an adventure!

:thanks:

I checked the deals for my dates, but my current reservation is still better. We used to do the dining plan when the kids were little - I think it's a pretty good deal for kids under age 9 - but with 5 adults it gets a little pricey.

The dining plan is expensive. 5 adults is a lot.

Still hoping they extend park hours while we're there. Especially now with Rise of the Resistance opening in early December, I would think DHS will be open longer than 9-8:30???

I think as we get closer they will extend the hours.

In other news, DH, DS14 and I are heading to Disneyland at the end of August!!

I'm so jealous! Enjoy your planning and your trip.

Fantastic news on the discount :yay:

I love to save a little bit.

Any of you out there with December trips and tickets to the MVMCP planning to do any of the add-ons to the party?
I finally let go of the idea of doing either of the fireworks dessert parties (they have them pre and post, right? Last time I did the Tomorrowland Terrace Dessert Party there was just one party so I'm not really up to date on this), thinking we're already spending a lot to just BE AT the party, now to spend even more to be at a dessert party seems like too much. Doesn't it? Or does it not? LOL. Now there's the Tony's parade viewing party and I'm thinking all over again. I am going to the VERY LAST party and have heard it is usually sold-out and very crowded. I don't want to leave the party thinking I couldn't really see the fireworks and/or parade, so now I'm back to considering it. If you had free tickets to either a fireworks viewing party or a parade viewing party, which would you choose? I'm certainly not doing BOTH (though I have read a few posts of people who do!). Then again, there has to be a limit, right? So maybe we really will be fine not doing either and just enjoy being at the party and seeing as much as we can. AUGH!! What are all you peeps doing? Talk me into or out of this!

PS - Sorry, I think I'm kind of derailing your pre-trip report. Feel free to ignore my ramblings if it's getting OT....

Any of you out there with December trips and tickets to the MVMCP planning to do any of the add-ons to the party?
I finally let go of the idea of doing either of the fireworks dessert parties (they have them pre and post, right? Last time I did the Tomorrowland Terrace Dessert Party there was just one party so I'm not really up to date on this), thinking we're already spending a lot to just BE AT the party, now to spend even more to be at a dessert party seems like too much. Doesn't it? Or does it not? LOL. Now there's the Tony's parade viewing party and I'm thinking all over again. I am going to the VERY LAST party and have heard it is usually sold-out and very crowded. I don't want to leave the party thinking I couldn't really see the fireworks and/or parade, so now I'm back to considering it. If you had free tickets to either a fireworks viewing party or a parade viewing party, which would you choose? I'm certainly not doing BOTH (though I have read a few posts of people who do!). Then again, there has to be a limit, right? So maybe we really will be fine not doing either and just enjoy being at the party and seeing as much as we can. AUGH!! What are all you peeps doing? Talk me into or out of this!

This is going to be our first MVMCP ever. There is no way my DH would let me pay for the party tickets and buy the extras. I do want to see the parade and the fireworks but also feel I shouldn't have to pay a premium price over what I have already paid to do that. I have been very tempted to splurge and have been reading the same thread you have on that. I don't want to feel like I have to either.

But we did do the regular fireworks party with garden viewing last year and I really enjoyed it. Having park hopping has me plotting and planning and we may or may not be doing a dessert party but not on the Christmas party night.

PS - Sorry, I think I'm kind of derailing your pre-trip report. Feel free to ignore my ramblings if it's getting OT....

You are more than welcome to jump in on Disney Christmas planning. That's why we do pre-trip reports. It helps to bounce stuff off others and learn something new.

Reactions: KSL
But we did do the regular fireworks party with garden viewing last year and I really enjoyed it. Having park hopping has me plotting and planning and we may or may not be doing a dessert party but not on the Christmas party night.

Oh, I would really love to do this! Is the fireworks view pretty good? I know there's another party on the Terrace, but that's more expensive and I actually think the angle to the castle might not be as good? What are your thoughts? I'm off to check availability :cool1:

Oh, I would really love to do this! Is the fireworks view pretty good? I know there's another party on the Terrace, but that's more expensive and I actually think the angle to the castle might not be as good? What are your thoughts? I'm off to check availability :cool1:

I've never done the Terrace, just the garden view and we really liked it. It's not a perfect straight on viewing of the castle but it pretty good and not too crowded. People are not on top of each other and we had room to spread out a blanket while we waited. Some people like the Terrace since it gives you a covered seating area. I like being closer to the castle.

Yes, I agree - I'd rather be closer to the castle, and more out in the open. I did check and there is availability on Dec 23rd (wondering if they'll do the Christmas fireworks then??), but it's pretty pricey for 5 adults. DH and I are planning a trip on our own in late February or early March, and I may save this for just the two of us to do. If it is the Christmas fireworks though, I may bite the bullet for the 23rd. Decisions, decisions....

Okay, so I'm responding to my own post, but the 23rd IS the Christmas fireworks - I just looked up the schedule. Man, this is a tough decision. I'm going to go back to Michelle's trip report and read her review of the dessert party again.

His first and only trip was at 9 months old. I highly recommend it!
9 month olds are so much easier than toddlers. They don't talk back yet and they aren't mobile!
We ARE doing the dining plan, and Mom has me included in the room the whole trip, as opposed to splitting the trip into two, linked reservations (we’ve done this before)… which just means we are going to bank up some extra meals and those suckers are going to do a 2-meal credit while i’m not there!
Hey, if you're freeloading, they get to use your credits, right? :rolleyes1
First of all I want to say that we were (from left to right) Moana, Sorcerer Mickey, and Belle! Are we THAT BAD at Disneybounding?
I actually got 2 out of the 3 without cheating! I couldn't quite get Moana though.
WE DID IT, YALL! We booked our dining reservations. And then went right back and did lots of modifying already
Because that's what you do! Actually, ADR's seem to be fairly easy to make changes... I mean I had to change some to add people on the day we left on our trip and was able to find availability that I needed. Now Fp's on the other hand... make sure you have a multi-pronged plan of attack in place that morning.
I’m not above packing his Amazon Tablet and letting him watch Bubble Guppies.
We had Coco playing on a phone on the table for the last half of several meals. You do what you gotta do.
Plus, I do LOVEEEE AK’s CS options. Mom said they’re doing to be moving to a reservation style thing for some of the options at dinner?
AK has some awesome CS! And I came across this reservation system at one of the less awesome ones, Pizzafari. It really doesn't impact much. Maybe decreases capacity since they use part of the restaurant for this ADR Family Style meal, but we did mobile order, walked in and grabbed food like normal and had no problem finding a place to sit, so the impact on the CS side of the restaurant was minimal.
Mobile ordering was great last trip. I'm looking forward to using it again.
::yes:: Disney has frustrated me with some of the changes they've made recently, but this one was a home run.
As we get closer to going and I start putting together my daily schedule( I do not plan for every minute)
You can't. Well, you could, but you might as well hand the paper to JP and let him shred it.
We spent about an hour in the closet with a 2 year old. But we survived. It touched down about a mile away. Don’t know how much damage yet. Lots more rain today.
Yikes! Too close for comfort. I'm glad you were all safe.
WHO KNOWS HOW TO BABY SWAP?! I still don’t quite understand the logistics.
I'm really worried about using rider switch since I've never done it and I know it has changed recently. Any pointers especially if we're using a FPs?
Ok, here's my experience as of last week...

Rider Swap is simple to use, in principle. There are CM's at the entrance of every attraction holding a device to scan MagicBands. At some attractions you have to approach a CM at the entrance and ask because they might not be easy to spot (For example, BTMRR and Splash), at others, there's a sign separate from the entrance and they are located there (Slinky Dog - on the ramp as you approach the entrance of the coaster, Everest - actually across the walkway from the entrance). Basically, you're looking for the Disability Access Service sign or CM. They do the Rider Swap as well.

When riding Standby, they will scan the band of the adult waiting with the child, giving them RS which is simply FP access to ride at a time relative to when the rest of the group should make it through the line and get back out. They will also scan up to 2 other bands and those 2 can ride a second time when the Rider Swap is used by the person who waited. While we were there, the RS was showing up on MDE as a FP with a start time, but could be used any time between the start time and when the park closed that night. This FP did not count against your total, so you could use your first 3, have a still to be used RS that you want to hold until later in the day, and still be able to make a 4th FP.

When you have FP and want to get RS, it can get a little sticky... you *MIGHT* be able to play the system and use a mix of FP and RS to essentially get some extra rides. For our trip, my parents decided to join us, literally last second. Our little guy is 3 so had a ticket and therefore FP. When we booked FP, we just booked him for the ones that DW and I and the older kids were going on, even though he is only 35" just to keep it simple. This ended up working well, because Mom and Dad couldn't get FPs for many of the rides so we could give his band to Mom or Dad and get RS for the other one and then our older kids could ride twice and we actually had no problems doing this for the rides we attempted it on. I know it worked on Slinky Dog and I was worried it wouldn't... we didn't try it on 7DMT or FOP.

I know some people plan to split their FPs and use RS as bonus FPs for their group. I was afraid to try that, for a multitude of reasons, but it actually would have worked for us on every ride, except for BTMRR. It comes down to the CM that scans the band and issues the RS pass. We had one CM that would only give RS access to our older kids to ride twice, but would not give me RS to wait while they rode. They were riding FP and he basically told me that since they were going FP, I'd have to use FP to ride, but the kids could get RS to ride twice. Thankfully we were there early in our FP hour so I had plenty of time and it worked, but I was a little irritated he wouldn't give me RS to give us a bigger window to work with. 100% comes down to the CM who holds the scanner, so just be ready.

One other tip, pay close attention if you are riding with the first group using FP and get scanned to ride again with RS. If it should take 15 minutes to get through FP and get back in line, the RS pass should be issued for 15 minutes from now. We had a couple of times where the CM issued the RS for basically immediate use. When this happened, the kids scanned their band to enter the FP line and it took the RS pass instead of the FP. Because we caught this and still had time within the window, they were still able to ride twice, but it seems that if there's a FP and RS that are both available for use, it will use the RS first so pay close attention to the App and keep refreshing as your group gets and uses RS to make sure you know what you have.

I apologize for the run on sentences and I've probably confused you even more than you already were, but this was our experience and if you have any questions I'd be happy to try to clear some of it up. It really isn't a hard system to use, but it can be time consuming and if you have to ride back to back, you could be looking at potentially over an hour in some cases of keeping JP entertained. I noticed FP lines, in general, being much longer than in the past, so we even skipped using RS a few times if one of the adults didn't want to ride something just to save some time.

We got the Quick service for free and paid the difference for regular dining. I know a lot of people don't like the dining plan but it works for us. We're basically paying $22 a day per person to eat. Not as good as totally free but not bad too. I did play with other bookings through the day but I think this works best for us.
We obviously didn't get in on this round of discounts, but this is pretty much the same scenario that we got our discount under. We didn't park hop as much as we typically plan to and DW and I were talking about it being a waste of money. Until I remembered that we had to get park hoppers anyway for the free dining and we came out money ahead, so... :thumbsup2

Yes, I agree - I'd rather be closer to the castle, and more out in the open. I did check and there is availability on Dec 23rd (wondering if they'll do the Christmas fireworks then??), but it's pretty pricey for 5 adults. DH and I are planning a trip on our own in late February or early March, and I may save this for just the two of us to do. If it is the Christmas fireworks though, I may bite the bullet for the 23rd. Decisions, decisions....

5 adults is pretty steep for the party. It would make an adult trip pretty special.

Okay, so I'm responding to my own post, but the 23rd IS the Christmas fireworks - I just looked up the schedule. Man, this is a tough decision. I'm going to go back to Michelle's trip report and read her review of the dessert party again.

That is a hard call.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter