Offsite Tips for Onsite Girl

Sarangel

<font color=red><font color=navy>Rumor has it ...<
Because we have DVC, I've always stayed on-site, but because DD wants to go to Disneyland and stay at the Grand Californian in June, we're Air B&Bing our November trip. We're staying roughly at 192 & 429...

We'll have a car, and DH and DD will have 5 day hoppers (I'll upgrade my Hopper to a DVC AP once we get there, so that we have Memory Maker & Free Parking), and one day at Discovery Cove. I know that the crowds will be low, since we are there the week *before* thanksgiving, but what else can you think of that I should know

Obviously, I'll need to plan around *not* going to EMH parks, since we don't have resort status, and we won't be able to charge on the magic bands or make FP+ Reservations until October, but I feel a little at sea since we aren't using the bus system or staying at BWV.

TIA

Sara

If you don't know your way around driving, a portable GPS isn't a bad idea. You can pre-program it with the necessary addresses for the parks, your rental house, and anywhere else you might want to visit (say the Character Outlet) while you are there.

Get to the parks on the early side, and you will get parking close to the park entrance, and not have to take the tram.

We use Disney Gift cards which we purchase at Sam's Club at a discount, to pay for all of our dining and in park expenses. Don't forget to ask for / use your AP discount for all of your table service dining. It also applies at most locations when you by bottled drinks, and most merchandise. Those discounts add up!

We stayed on site for our first 8 trips, and the last 3 we have stayed offsite. Both have their advantages, and disadvantages. It is nice to not have to worry about driving home after a long day in the parks, however, I have found, even staying 20 to 30 minutes away from Disney World, it honestly doesn't take any longer to get to the car and drive than it did to wait for a bus, and get to our resort when we were staying onsite. Having a full kitchen to make breakfast is nice, as is being able to wash clothes every day without hiking to a laundry room.

DW and I have made many trips to the BWI and are now off site Disney snowbirds so I understand the transition you are going through. We are also arriving the week before Thanksgiving this year so I am thinking about a few of the same things you are right now.

First, set your calendar to alert at your 30 day mark so you can start booking your FPs. I have my first alert set for Oct 17th to give us a few days to settle in before we start our 'walks enhanced by Disney' park visits.

Spend a few minutes with Google maps to get a sense of the travel routes between your AirBnB to the parks. From your description you'll be heading east on 192 either to Sherberth Rd (especially for the AK) or World Dr to get to the parks. From our place down near Champions Gate we usually head up I-4 to World Dr. Though we frequently come home from AK on Sherberth Rd. I never found a need for a GPS after a few minutes studying Google Maps. It is not hard to get around WDW. The roads are well marked.

Yes, you will have to shift your planning away from EMH. In fact, as an off site visitor I find it is usually best to avoid the EMH parks, particularly the morning EMH park. While you are waiting for the FP window to open, you can check the WDW calendar and plan your what days for what park and what time you want to arrive so you can be ready to select your FPs precisely at the 30 day mark.

You will definitely experience a 'culture shift' when visiting Epcot as you enter through the front entrance instead of through the International Gateway. And you will discover the fun of arriving at the TTC for the MK rather than the bus depot right at the MK entrance. Personally I enjoy the pleasant ride on the ferry with the Castle in the distance as you cruise past the Poly and the GF. And good plan for upgrading one of the hoppers to DVC AP.

Other than still slightly missing the perk of arriving at a park via a walk or the bus we have adjusted to our off site visits. Depending on the time of year the traffic can slow travel time a bit but the week before Thanksgiving won't be a problem.

Before we became snowbirds we made a few two week off site vacation visits. We found that staying off site in a "vacation pool villa" was a pleasant, relaxing vacation.

I am sure there are plenty more off site thoughts but they escape me at the moment.
Wishing you a pixiedust: visit!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!