Offsite Pizza, Local Restaraunts?

NYDisneyGal

Mouseketeer
Hello everyone,
I'm back on the boards because we've got a Thanksgiving Trip that's gotten here quicker than I could have hoped for!!

We are DVC members (family of 5) staying at Saratoga Springs 11/17-11/25. We are renting a car, and do not do the Dining Plan. While we do enjoy some disney dining (we've booked Brown Derby at MGM for Thanksgiving, and our anniversary dinner on Friday is at California Grill), we also like the flexibility to try local restaraunts. For us, this saves money, time, and planning stress - how do I know where we'll be each day? I've got a general plan, but I don't enjoy feeling as if I have to be somewhere each day when I'm on vacation.

I'd love to know what everyone's favorite places to eat near WDW are - we tried Bahama Breeze last June and had a very good meal for 5 for about $80. I've heard the Orlando Ale House mentioned on the podcast, I think? If anyone has any suggestions (especially Kevin :-) ), I'd love to hear them!

We would also like to know about good take-out food near Disney - where can you get great pizza and wings? This would be a great option for a hang around the pool kinda day....

Thanks for any suggestions!

Hi There,

We enjoy Giordano's. Its about 10 minutes from the Magic Kingdom, they have a few locations in the Orlando area. I believe they have a website with addresses & phone numbers. We were there a few weeks ago and it was great.

Ok...first....if you are from NY...you know good pizza.

The podcasters are from NJ, NY, MA and LA and will all pretty much agree.....the pizza situation is pretty grim. They tell me it has to do with the water and not being able to make a decent crust.

That being said....John and I agree....the best pizza in the Disney area is at the intersection of SR 535 (Apopka Vineland RD) and 192. The name of the place is NYPD PIzza. There are a few in the Orlando area. This one is the closest to Disney.

Orlando Ale House has good wings...but even better....they have boneless wings. They call them Zingers and they are FANTASTIC. They have a bunch of flavors. You can get them all by themselves....as a sandwich...on a salad. Try em.

There is also a Hooters on Palm Parkway if you like their wings.

Publix has GREAT fried chicken and it's pretty cheap. The Publix on Sand Lake Road (7 minutes fron Disney) is better than the Publix next to NYPD Pizza.

To get to the "good" Publix....exit Disney porperty via Hotel Plaza Blvd. Take a left onto Apoka Vineland Rd (535). Go about 6 miles (through some pretty expensive Orlando real estate...you will pass Bay Hill...thats where alot of the pro golfers live). Take a right onto Sand Lake Road (SLR). Publix also has a great deli counter and some decent take out selections. Publix also makes awesome sub sandwiches. We have a Publix near home and they are the only subs we eat.

SLR between Apoka Vineland and the I-4 overpass is known locally as Restaurant Row. There are a bunch of restaurants there...some good...some eh....but a huge selection.

On the right side is the "good" Publix. Across the street is Toojay's Deli. This is pretty much the only choice if you want deli in Orlando.

There is a Starbucks on both sides of SLR, one in the Publix plaza and one across the street near Toojays.

There is also a good pizza place in the Publix plaza. It's called Carriera's (or something like that....dont hold me to the spelling on that one....and I want to go watch Desperate Housewives so I dont want to look it up). It's more expensive...but good.

You will also find a Walgreens and a CVS right there if you need that stuff.

In the plaza with Toojays there is an Albertson's market if you need that. Publix is mucho better (my opinion).

Ok...that should keep you busy. Let me know if you need more info.

Kevin

There is also a good pizza place in the Publix plaza. It's called Carriera's (or something like that....dont hold me to the spelling on that one....and I want to go watch Desperate Housewives so I dont want to look it up). It's more ex*****ve...but good.

Kevin

Good info Kevin! But I love that you had to go to watch Desperate Housewives!:laughing: I love Desperate Housewives too!:thumbsup2

I was just at one of the original Giordano's last week in Chicago. I was excited to see that there is one on intl drive. They have awesome stuffed pizza! Hopefully we will get some at the end of month when we are down there.

Dennis

Is Pizzeria Uno gone? I enjoyed it on our last visit. Of course it's Chicago style but being from Mississippi, I have little appreciation for the differences. Our style of pizza is Pizza Hut. :crazy2:

Pizzaria Uno is still in the Crossroads Shopping Center at the end of Hotel Plaza Blvd.

It's not my favorite...but I'd say this is more a matter of personal choice more than a "good or bad" thing. It's a popular place.

Thanks, everyone, for some good suggestions. Kevin is right about NY pizza - Pizzaria Uno isn't the same thing. We probably will be better off getting our Pizza fix at Pizza Planet in MGM - it's a meal choice that ALWAYS satisfies our 6-year old. NYPD Pizza sounds intriguing, might make for a great late night snack after running around at the parks all day....

I do think we're gonna have to try some "zingers" one night this trip - sounds great!

I know you probably don't want to divulge this information, but I'd love to know where the Podcasters all choose to go out to eat when not on Disney property. Do you have a favorite local spot? You can just tell me here - I won't tell anyone else, I promise :rolleyes1

Currently, our favorite place to eat in the resort area (thats not on Disney property) is the Celebration Town Tavern. We've mentioned it a couple of times on the show

It's right in the center of "downtown" Celebration.

You can get a full scale dinner or a hot turkey sandwich or anything in between. The appetizer list is terrific.

The emphasis is on seafood but the menu is huge and diverse.

They also have the best New England clam chowder I have tasted anywhere. Bob and Dianer are from Boston and agree....the chowder is killer.

There is a bar / pub area with dining tables (think Cheers on TV), a full dining room amd two great outdoor dining areas.

The prices are reasonable, especially for the quality and portions you get. While this is a bar / restaurant, I dont think you would feel at all uncomfortable dining in the bar area with children. When John's family was in town, we took them all here for dinner. It's a family friendly place.

Another nice thing is that they serve until 10 or 11 every night and then the bar / pub area serves a limited menu until 2am. It's a great place to go after a movie or a night at Pleasure Island.

If you are looking for us in a local restaurant....keep your eyes open here. We are in there at least once or twice a week, sometimes more. We love this place.

Kevin

This place sounds great - we'll be loading this one into the Garmin before the trip! When we go, I'll make sure my husband wears his DIS Unplugged t-shirt!

Can't wait - we leave a week from Saturday. We've had snow in the air here in NY already. Everyone's gone in to hibernate, and we won't be back out until April. Hope it's super-warm in Orlando for Thanksgiving this year!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter