Official Wine and Dine Half Marathon Weekend 2020

Apologies if this is repeat information, but I got an email a few days ago saying RnR Vegas is postponed. It was scheduled for the week after Wine & Dine. This is really the first cancelation that's made me concerned about W&D happening at all. That said, I would think Disney might want a "practice run" on a smaller set of races with fewer participants before the big Marathon Weekend.

We appreciate your continued patience and understanding during this very dynamic and unprecedented time. To best meet the needs of our participants, the Las Vegas community and local authorities, the 2020 Rock ‘n’ Roll Las Vegas Marathon & ½ Marathon cannot take place as originally scheduled for November 14-15, 2020. We are working diligently with our various host city partners and stakeholders on all potential options and further event updates will be communicated as soon as possible. Participants that are registered for the event will receive an email with further details. If you have additional questions, please contact rnrvegas@runrocknroll.com

In what has been a continually evolving and challenging time globally, we recognize that this may come as a disappointment but look forward to providing participants with an exceptional event experience in the future.

Marathon “sold out” with a rumor of only 25% of bibs being put out W&D “sold out” at full capacity
I fully expect W&D to get called between now and July 11th (I feel food & wine as a whole + halloween & Christmas party & candlelight will be canceled before parks even reopen due to capacity limitations)

Marathon “sold out” with a rumor of only 25% of bibs being put out W&D “sold out” at full capacity
I fully expect W&D to get called between now and July 11th (I feel food & wine as a whole + halloween & Christmas party & candlelight will be canceled before parks even reopen due to capacity limitations)
I think they may wait a bit longer than that to call it.

As for the other things you mentioned they are all still doable. The Halloween Party has yet to be canceled and is a limited event to begin with. They may not have parades and fireworks at the parties but they might be able to happen. The Christmas parties have yet to go on sale and likely they are holding out to see what they can do. Candlelight could certainly become a ticketed event. Space parties out in the seating as well. There are ways to do events in the midst of this.

I think the amount of times you've mentioned this being cancelled, everyone knows how you feel at this point.

I know WDW is taking a cautious approach, that's ok. Florida is in Phase 2 now. Things are progressing. If they have a race, I would plan on having a mask before and after the race and having a much different experience. We'll see how opening goes down on July 11th.

We're making back up plans if the race is cancelled where those that want to join in on the fun can. We'll make our own wine/beer/vodka race!

I think it's probably too early to predict what will happen in November. 3 months ago, we were just seeing what was happening in Italy. Think how much has changed since then. I think it will depend on a) what happens as the park re-open, and b) what happens with other big races.

I think it's probably too early to predict what will happen in November. 3 months ago, we were just seeing what was happening in Italy. Think how much has changed since then. I think it will depend on a) what happens as the park re-open, and b) what happens with other big races.
True but we are starting to see large races get canceled and moved. Boston canceled, and Rock n Roll Vegas “postponed”.

It’s been a few years since I ran RnR Vegas, but the separate start/finish areas that organizers can’t set up until last minute don’t help. They also have the half and full running at once, so lots of participants esp at the start. Plus, who knows what Vegas is permitting right now, so easier to postpone. Disney has the advantage that they are on home soil and have limited participants. I wouldn’t be surprised if RD allows some cancellations for W&D to trim the field.

I hope rD considers this option, perhaps allowing straight cancellations or even deferments to the 2021 W&D. There may be enough people that would take the offer to allow the remaining smaller field to have a saner, safer race.

This would be the ideal situation! Just refund those that don't want to come or can't come, and maybe we could get the numbers needed to keep it as scheduled!!

I hope rD considers this option, perhaps allowing straight cancellations or even deferments to the 2021 W&D. There may be enough people that would take the offer to allow the remaining smaller field to have a saner, safer race.
This would be the ideal situation! Just refund those that don't want to come or can't come, and maybe we could get the numbers needed to keep it as scheduled!!
I posted this same thought a few weeks back and several folks said they would take the refund in a heartbeat. Is there anyway to make this suggestion to rD? I would think they are considering the option but do not want to assume...

I posted this same thought a few weeks back and several folks said they would take the refund in a heartbeat. Is there anyway to make this suggestion to rD? I would think they are considering the option but do not want to assume...
I’d have to imagine they are looking at all options just like Parks ops has with reopening the parks. runDisney has given people options in the past too, for example the 2017 half cancellation. I’m very interested to see what they do.

I've been thinking a lot about this race even though I'm not doing it this year. I really do hope for all of your sake they allow cancellations and still hold the race for those that want to do it provided they can make it work. I've been playing RunDisney rD in my head and I think this race will depend on how close to capacity the parks are already at as decision date comes close.

When all is said and done the real reason rD puts on races at all is to get people to the parks at what are historically low attendance times to drive hotel and in-park spending. I am aware that what is currently "low attendance" and what was historically "low attendance" is not the same but the races are still a driver to get people to the resort to spend money.

If the resort is limiting attendance and they are already reaching their new temporary capacity they they won't have the race because it won't really move attendance. If they are able to open the parks to higher capacity by November and the race would move some attendance numbers I think they will do all they can to have it.

Just my 2 cents.

I've been thinking a lot about this race even though I'm not doing it this year. I really do hope for all of your sake they allow cancellations and still hold the race for those that want to do it provided they can make it work. I've been playing RunDisney rD in my head and I think this race will depend on how close to capacity the parks are already at as decision date comes close.

When all is said and done the real reason rD puts on races at all is to get people to the parks at what are historically low attendance times to drive hotel and in-park spending. I am aware that what is currently "low attendance" and what was historically "low attendance" is not the same but the races are still a driver to get people to the resort to spend money.

If the resort is limiting attendance and they are already reaching their new temporary capacity they they won't have the race because it won't really move attendance. If they are able to open the parks to higher capacity by November and the race would move some attendance numbers I think they will do all they can to have it.

Just my 2 cents.

I think your rationale might hold if they hadn’t already done registration for the race weekend. RunDisney is already holding a lot of cash in hand from those registrations and may already to have started sinking costs into long lead time items. A large proportion of those registrants also already hold resort reservations and park tickets. That’s a lot of refunds to give back when their bottom line is already hurting and they don’t have any guarantee that they could resell those reservations on short notice.

Floridian here... a word of note: Florida entered "Phase 2" of the Governor's reopening plan this past Friday (June 5). One of the things Phase 2 includes is the resumption of mass activities for groups of up to 50. Which is, of course, nowhere near W&D numbers, but it would not be difficult to to think the Governor be allowing far more than that by Nov., assuming things don't go horribly wrong, or that even if things do go the wrong direction, we don't go back to restrictions. Now, WDW/rD can choose to do its own thing and be more restrictive, so I wouldn't assume that Florida's phased reopening definitively guides rD decisions, but is maybe something to consider.

I'm getting in the weeds here, but also of note: tourism numbers are way, WAY down down here. Like, scary-down. Universal Orlando isn't seeing the kind of reopening crowds some predicted. I live in an area with heavy beach tourism and our numbers are as bad as post-9/11 days. The overall prediction is that this situation is likely to continue through 2020. So if WDW also sees a marked decline in visitors, W&D might look attractive to put heads in beds. But if reduced capacity in resorts seems to be working well enough for WDW to continue it through fall, W&D could be a goner.

tl;dr: too early to tell - could easily go either way

i know even if it happens, my mother and aunts who wanted to run don't want to go anymore since they're all high risk and dont feel comfortable, so they'd be some who'd cancel immediately. I was called the race jinx, since I ran the last ToT, the last Tinkerbell, and also "ran" the cancelled half back in 2017...

Floridian here... a word of note: Florida entered "Phase 2" of the Governor's reopening plan this past Friday (June 5). One of the things Phase 2 includes is the resumption of mass activities for groups of up to 50.
Fellow Floridian too and I know my local running club is starting up their group runs as of this week I know you have to pre register instead of just showing up and I’m sure there are other restrictions

I'm getting in the weeds here, but also of note: tourism numbers are way, WAY down down here. Like, scary-down. Universal Orlando isn't seeing the kind of reopening crowds some predicted. I live in an area with heavy beach tourism and our numbers are as bad as post-9/11 days. The overall prediction is that this situation is likely to continue through 2020. So if WDW also sees a marked decline in visitors, W&D might look attractive to put heads in beds. But if reduced capacity in resorts seems to be working well enough for WDW to continue it through fall, W&D could be a goner.

speaking of those numbers...from looking at videos, it seems the primary people attending the opening of the Universal Parks are YouTubers...almost everyone there is a YouTuber and there are multiple YouTubers in the background of everyone's videos - I have to say this is getting to be quite pathetic.

Also, what I noticed in the videos is the lack of turnout - even during AP preview days where it seemed like the park was 10 to 20% full....if even that. If people think that 20% is a sustainable model then they have a rude awakening coming. Even 50% is not sustainable for these parks - so unless we get herd immunity or there is a vaccine or people are just tired and give up, I don't see how these parks survive without way way more people attending. Plus all of the restrictions that are being currently forced on people makes it hard to enjoy the park (I would think) - though the YouTubers are enjoying it because there is no one else there so they get on rides nearly instantly.

As far as capacity goes, I think 50% is average. From what I have heard, the rare full days are something to behold. But I see your point. I think they’ll make it through, though, just like after 9/11, and 2007/8, which were also tough.

I live in Pittsburgh and just received an email that they're opening registration for our fall 10-miler which is on November 8th (sound familiar?!) They are giving two options - in-person and virtual (which is obviously new this year).
There is this note:
MONEY BACK GUARANTEE: if we are forced to cancel the in-person version of the event as part of the City of Pittsburgh's efforts to help slow the spread of COVID-19, everyone who was registered for the in-person event will have the opportunity to request a refund of their registration fees (less any processing fees or referral fees already refunded) OR switch to the virtual edition of the race at no additional charge.

So they are allowing for the fact that it might need to be cancelled, but overall I think that's a great sign. Last year the race had about 3,700 runners, so obviously a much smaller field, but it still gives me hope!

Floridian here... a word of note: Florida entered "Phase 2" of the Governor's reopening plan this past Friday (June 5). One of the things Phase 2 includes is the resumption of mass activities for groups of up to 50. Which is, of course, nowhere near W&D numbers, but it would not be difficult to to think the Governor be allowing far more than that by Nov., assuming things don't go horribly wrong, or that even if things do go the wrong direction, we don't go back to restrictions. Now, WDW/rD can choose to do its own thing and be more restrictive, so I wouldn't assume that Florida's phased reopening definitively guides rD decisions, but is maybe something to consider.

We're also currently in the biggest spike of new infections since our peak in early April, and these infections are from before the mass protests broke out. It's possible we remain in Phase 2 much longer than we did in Phase 1.

Track Shack has posted some details on how they'll be running their local races around here. With Boston and Las Vegas cancelling, eyes will be on NYC, Chicago and Marine Corps. If all of those are cancelled, it's hard to see W&D happening, regardless of tourism numbers (and on that, Disney seems to be more cautious than others, so hard to see them going forward with a race if they're not 100% comfortable with the risk).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter