Official Wine and Dine Half Marathon Weekend 2019

Patriotic Mickey? Really? What does that have to do with the 10th anniversary of Food & Wine? I mean, that’s the Epcot pavilion I am most likely to skip!

The two bathrooms are the most compelling thing about that pavilion. I am exceedingly disappointed by the theme, but can't imagine I can pull of the challenge with two kids along for the trip :(

The two bathrooms are the most compelling thing about that pavilion. I am exceedingly disappointed by the theme, but can't imagine I can pull of the challenge with two kids along for the trip :(
Yes, exactly! I am SOOO disappointed about this theme!!! Last night I was trying to think positive and the only positive I could come up with was that the American Adventure has the best restrooms in Epcot. I’ve never been a fan of Americana. It is just not me, at all.

Overall, I am not a fan of runDisney’s recent trend in changing the themes of their races each year (and waiting until after they are sold out to announce those themes). I sign up for a race weekend based on the weekend’s theme. Nothing about Americana Mickey say’s Wine & Dine. Nothing about Jungle Book, Frozen and the Three Caballeros (although I love my Mexican food and margaritas!) says Wine & Dine either. And to think, this is an anniversary year? So much disappointment!

The 10k & Challenge have always been different since they started. The Inaugural 10k was Remy, do people want a Remy medal every year? Or Lumiere for the Challenge every year. Or just an overall EPCOT food theme with countries kind of how they did the 2017 ticket/passport ones?

I really don't mind what they do I guess since I'm excited, but curious what those who don't like the mishmash of random movies this year and even last year would rather have? Just more Epcot centric and not character? Or maybe more Figment, old School Epcot symbols maybe?

The Fall Feast 5k maybe stick with Harvest characters, maybe the Wise Little Hen and her "Help me plant my corn". I don't know.

I think they like to keep it changing to hopefully keep it fresh for those who do it every year or to entice people to sign up. The Three Caballeros will surely get some signing up or switching to the Challenge I think.

The 10k & Challenge have always been different since they started. The Inaugural 10k was Remy, do people want a Remy medal every year? Or Lumiere for the Challenge every year. Or just an overall EPCOT food theme with countries kind of how they did the 2017 ticket/passport ones?
Works for me. The challenge was originally named after Lumiere. No different than Dopey, or Goofy. I would be plenty happy with Lumiere. Remy is s direct link to food and really would be a great mascot for the weekend so that would work for me too. I would also be plenty happy with the 2017 themes. This is just a mishmash or nonsense.

Let’s face it, Wine & Dine has been a shadow of its former self ever since the change to a morning race. For multiple reasons...

The 5k has always been holiday themed (Christmas or Thanksgiving) and at Animal Kingdom, making it unique. I don’t think the irony of this year’s theme and location change is lost on anyone.

Wine & Dine was traditionally Epcot/Chef Mickey themed. There needs to be a direct link between the race theme and Epcot’s International Food & Wine Festival. If Remy or Lumiere are tied to that year’s festival theme, that makes sense. But, for an anniversary year, I would expect the theme to stay true to the original theme of the weekend.

I would say this year’s themes are a stretch. But, choosing themes based on characters featured on IP seen in individual pavilions (with the exception of Jungle Book :confused3) is more than a stretch. What do any of them have to do with the festival? These themes would be much better suited to a general runDisney race weekend such as the Disneyland Half Marathon Weekend or even WDW Marathon weekend. A weekend that focuses more on the Magic Kingdom.

If I were to sign up for the Star Wars weekend, I would expect a Star Wars theme. When I signed up for Wine & Dine, I expected an Epcot International Food & Wine Festival theme.

Let’s face it, Wine & Dine has been a shadow of its former self ever since the change to a morning race. For multiple reasons...

The 5k has always been holiday themed (Christmas or Thanksgiving) and at Animal Kingdom, making it unique. I don’t think the irony of this year’s theme and location change is lost on anyone.

Wine & Dine was traditionally Epcot/Chef Mickey themed. There needs to be a direct link between the race theme and Epcot’s International Food & Wine Festival. If Remy or Lumiere are tied to that year’s festival theme, that makes sense. But, for an anniversary year, I would expect the theme to stay true to the original theme of the weekend.

I would say this year’s themes are a stretch. But, choosing themes based on characters featured on IP seen in individual pavilions (with the exception of Jungle Book :confused3) is more than a stretch. What do any of them have to do with the festival? These themes would be much better suited to a general runDisney race weekend such as the Disneyland Half Marathon Weekend or even WDW Marathon weekend. A weekend that focuses more on the Magic Kingdom.

If I were to sign up for the Star Wars weekend, I would expect a Star Wars theme. When I signed up for Wine & Dine, I expected an Epcot International Food & Wine Festival theme.
I agree. I think I’m taking a break from this weekend for a while. I do want to try Star Wars anyways.

I agree. I think I’m taking a break from this weekend for a while. I do want to try Star Wars anyways.
I’m only back for the anniversary and was hoping for something special to compensate for the morning race thing... Oh well, I am sure I will still enjoy the weekend. But, this could be my final Wine & Dine too (unless I come back for the 15th...)

I agree that the themes seem to be a mismash of IP that have no link to the festival for which the race is named nor really epcot. I think they did a nice job with theme characters and medals that worked with "wine and dine" last year, even if I do not like the characters it made thematic sense. It appears they have drawn art to include slugs, bananas, a carrot, and apple pie, to add to characters which have no link to food or beverages. I would take the mad hatter with his tea cup, Pooh feasting on honey, VANELOPIE'S COOKIE MEDAL, or if they must tie it to upcoming films I would prefer Aladdin stealing bread as Disney connected to food.

This theme for an anniversary year is pretty disappointing. I had even talked some friends into their first 10k. sigh. Last night I sent the link via text, and said "I'm sorry". The Frozen theme is just not what I would want for a Wine & Dine theme. And I'm one of the people that absolutely loves the Frozen movie. DH and I are looking forward to running the challenge, and I'm sure we will all still have a great time. But after the janky Princess medals and the disappointing SW merch, I'm just wondering what's gotten into runDisney this year.

I don't mind that they want to mix things up. Only doing the same characters (even if they do tie in better to the event/Epcot) would get dull I think. I'm okay even with an IP as a single theme but why not pick some single IP and then do each race with a medal from a character from that.

Jungle Book would be great, but you could do a character for each race instead of all lumped together right? 5K - Bagheera , 10k - Shere Khan , Half - Baloo, Challenge - Mowgli

I'd like that a lot better I think.

Am I the only one incredibly excited for the themes? Kinda shocked at how much disappointment there is actually. Also thought it was obvious that Patriotic Mickey would be involved somehow since that was on the email sent out after registration.
The only thing I'm disappointed about is the fact that the kids races got Lion King.

Am I the only one incredibly excited for the themes? Kinda shocked at how much disappointment there is actually. Also thought it was obvious that Patriotic Mickey would be involved somehow since that was on the email sent out after registration.
The only thing I'm disappointed about is the fact that the kids races got Lion King.
Well yeah he was expected but I expected him to be like the overall theme and maybe have more patriotic stuff throughout or whatever. I mostly just upset at Frozen lol.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter