Official Wine and Dine 2017 thread

So this is my first Disney Run event, do people use iPods? Or is there enough music and entertainment on the course?

I know this is hotly debated, but I do wear headphones and listen to music, through my phone, during runDisney races. Sometimes the race music/entertainment drowns it out, as I don't listen to mine very loud, but sometimes it's what's moving me forward! LOL!

I know this is hotly debated, but I do wear headphones and listen to music, through my phone, during runDisney races. Sometimes the race music/entertainment drowns it out, as I don't listen to mine very loud, but sometimes it's what's moving me forward! LOL!
I am the same, I have to have my headphones going, even if it is super low volumes. I will take one out at times and have even removed both when in the parks to get the full experience, but on the long highway miles I need that push. I tried to go with out one year at Princess and honestly regretted it at around mile 9. I had them with me but didn't use them at all. Couldn't figure out why I hit a wall when physically I was feeling good, realized after that I needed the mental distraction to push through those few miles to EPCOT. Lesson learned for me! Not everyone needs them or wants them, but after trial and error I learned I do! Just have to be aware of your surroundings and all that.

So this is my first Disney Run event, do people use iPods? Or is there enough music and entertainment on the course?

I usually run with one ear bud in, at home and at runDisney events. I can listen to music and still have awareness as to what is going on around me.
That being said, I have forgotten to charge my phone the night before a race and wasn't bored out of my mind during the race. So either is possible--depends upon your preference.

I bring earbuds and my phone (I use it for pictures and music) but I usually tuck my earbuds in a pocket or my armband. I tend to just enjoy the atmosphere and piped in park music and only pull out the earbuds if we end up on a long stretch of road.
My last half I was music-less for roughly 5-6 miles and then had my music going until the final miles (park and finish line and cheering people were loud enough to motivate me.) But I've never done this particular course.

I plan to go zero music for the 5k. But I'd bring earbuds for anything longer just in case.

Oh I forgot one more thing about rundisney and music. Sometimes they have speakers blaring a characters theme music around character stops. When it's really dark out (or I guess even sunny) sometimes you can hear the music before seeing the character. Or you will see the line of people and hear the music and your brain will go "Oh I bet that line is for X"
For example...if you hear Chip N Dale Rescue Rangers theme blaring...good chance there are some Chipmunks off on the side of the road.
It's not a hard and fast rule but you will get some music that way.

This thread is a treasure of useful info, as well as knowing the logistics of races I use these forums for excitement purposes also! Lets talk temperature given the races start at 5.30/6.30am, Realise this could be a 'piece of string' question but what kind of heat/humidity are we looking at for that time of the morning in early November? Do folk bring throw-away clothes for the start etc?
I used throw-away shirts last year, but I'm Floridian and totally acclimated to insane heat by early Nov. ;) Average for that time of year is lows in mid-60s (race start) and highs in mid- to high-80s (later - noon-2pm ish). But if a cool front happens to come through, temps can drop, as happened in 2014. OTOH it was hot and steamy in 2015. No way to know for sure until a day or two out. Just how it goes in Florida!

I personally don't, but many others do.

If you do, keep in mind that you want to be aware of your surroundings - not just the other runners around you, but course announcements as well. They'll play announcements over speakers if you're approaching a sharp turn, speed bumps, an area where the course narrows, etc. You want to be able to hear that. :)

I personally don't, but many others do.

If you do, keep in mind that you want to be aware of your surroundings - not just the other runners around you, but course announcements as well. They'll play announcements over speakers if you're approaching a sharp turn, speed bumps, an area where the course narrows, etc. You want to be able to hear that. :)

And now that announcement is stuck in the head of anyone who's ever heard it ;)

I remember it being cool in the mornings and evenings this past year. I had a light jacket (actually the race jacket) on in most of my evening pictures. I normally use a Mylar blanket in the morning and toss it before race start, but I don't have any pictures with one so I'm unsure.

2015 I remember being super hot and humid. So it really does depend on the year. Anything goes!

Adding to @lovingeire 's response. The weather is highly variable at that time of year but not nearly as chilly as marathon weekend. I pack both throw away clothes and Mylar blankets. The Mylars take up very little room in luggage. Just be sure to not cross the start like with it as that could impact reading of your timing chip.

Since the updated info for the 10k route hints to be the SWDS route, it looks like there will a long stretch of straight road. As I'm a relatively new runner (this will be my first 10k), most of my experience is on winding roads, trails, or other such routes. The straight road stretch right out of the gate is psyching me out a bit now. Weird, I know, but for some reason, looping around a parking lot like last year's 10k course didn't seem so intimidating. (I'm also a little bummed that we won't run by the Boardwalk. My family is staying at BW & had hoped to watch from the back porch area.)

Do you guys have any advice for how to make that first stretch more tolerable (physically or mentally)? I've heard that the DS 10k had some "runDisney magic" applied.

Since the updated info for the 10k route hints to be the SWDS route, it looks like there will a long stretch of straight road. As I'm a relatively new runner (this will be my first 10k), most of my experience is on winding roads, trails, or other such routes. The straight road stretch right out of the gate is psyching me out a bit now. Weird, I know, but for some reason, looping around a parking lot like last year's 10k course didn't seem so intimidating. (I'm also a little bummed that we won't run by the Boardwalk. My family is staying at BW & had hoped to watch from the back porch area.)

Do you guys have any advice for how to make that first stretch more tolerable (physically or mentally)? I've heard that the DS 10k had some "runDisney magic" applied.

Well physically just don't get too caught of the initial excitement and take off too fast - but then I guess that goes for any race. Enjoy the flatness of it though. I really don't think you'll find that big a deal physically though. You'll be running with thousands of your newest running friends. Strike up a conversation with folks as you run or in the corrals even. Check out the costumes. Hit some character stops if you can. Think about which food booths to hit at Epcot. :) Three miles will gone before you know it and you'll be heading into Hollywood Studios.

How many character stops were there along that stretch? I know, your miles may vary, but at least that helps break up the monotony, even if I don't stop.

Someone will have to help me with this one but I remember at least two character stops(R2D2 and some Disney Rebels I think) and one of those sets that you just pop into and have your picture taken. There was probably at least one more I'm forgetting though. I'm hoping they go just characters for this 10k since sets don't really make sense for this theme.

That's what I remember too as @croach said - R2 was not long after starting, before mile 1, and Rebels right before mile 2 I think and the throne chair was before mile 3 and the ramp. So, I would assume 3 stops if the course is the same.

Dark Side didn't have anything spectactular in that first 3 miles besides those 3 character/prop stops and I think 1 large video screen playing a movie clip & a marching band not too long after starting (pretty sure a band was there for teh 10k & half). The half is what had the laser light show on Bear Island Road, which the 10k doesn't go on. I will say those first miles flew by for me as it's flat till you get to that ramp at mile 3. It's dark out so it's not like you can see much ahead of you anyway so even though it's straight it doesn't seem like a long stretch if that makes sense. Plus there's so many other runners and you never know what crazy costume you might see so that keeps it fun too.

:) Three miles will gone before you know it and you'll be heading into Hollywood Studios.

I will say those first miles flew by for me as it's flat till you get to that ramp at mile 3. It's dark out so it's not like you can see much ahead of you anyway so even though it's straight it doesn't seem like a long stretch if that makes sense.

Thanks guys! This is really helping!

Thanks guys! This is really helping!
I wouldn't worry at all about it. You might get sensory overload. For me, even without characters or water stops or videos, the road is still a change up from my neighborhood or normal routes. That kept me interested enough last year plus you never really know what might be just ahead.

How many character stops were there along that stretch? I know, your miles may vary, but at least that helps break up the monotony, even if I don't stop.
I know your asking about swds but with last years old W&D route we had marry Poppins penguins just after the first mile marker, flick and atta also during that mile, gepetto and Pinocchio in Italy (between the 3-4 Mark) travel genie in morocco ( just after marker 4) and espn chip and Dale outside espn club on boardwalks ( same mile as genie)

also had stilt walkers just after mile marker 3 & 6 both backstage and a 'Sebastian' parade performer after marker 5 just before re entering Epcot at the international gateway

Adding to @lovingeire 's response. The weather is highly variable at that time of year but not nearly as chilly as marathon weekend. I pack both throw away clothes and Mylar blankets. The Mylars take up very little room in luggage. Just be sure to not cross the start like with it as that could impact reading of your timing chip.

Early November I would say the weather is still leaning to being somewhat warm,a cool front could come through and lows could be in the 50's but you're nowhere near the lows Marathon weekend gets as that's one of the coldest weeks of the year.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter