Official Wheeled Vehicle Policy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone know if there is a rule against flags on ECV's? I'm almost certain that there used to be one 7 - 8 years ago, because I wanted to put one on mine then and remember reading that I couldn't. I can't find anything anywhere now that says I can't. It helps people "see" the ECV, I think, if there is something at their eye level, and I always remember in 'Bawb's' videos seeing his little orange flag sticking up (in case you haven't seen them, these are older videos from long before there were video podcasts that show earlier podcaster Bob Varley touring the parks before he passed away :littleangel:).

Does anyone know if there is a rule against flags on ECV's? I'm almost certain that there used to be one 7 - 8 years ago, because I wanted to put one on mine then and remember reading that I couldn't. I can't find anything anywhere now that says I can't. It helps people "see" the ECV, I think, if there is something at their eye level, and I always remember in 'Bawb's' videos seeing his little orange flag sticking up (in case you haven't seen them, these are older videos from long before there were video podcasts that show earlier podcaster Bob Varley touring the parks before he passed away :littleangel:).

I don't remember anything recently about not using them, but since they are at people's eye level, they can become a hazard. I have seen them in other places where they stuck out a bit from the scooter and did almost get someone in the eye.

I don't remember anything recently about not using them, but since they are at people's eye level, they can become a hazard. I have seen them in other places where they stuck out a bit from the scooter and did almost get someone in the eye.

That's a very good point, but at the same time, if you have a 'flag pole' which sticks straight up from the back of the seat or even on the tiller, then if someone is close enough to potentially get poked in the eye, then they're practically standing on the ECV in the first place! Which means they're too close! Natch!

That's a very good point, but at the same time, if you have a 'flag pole' which sticks straight up from the back of the seat or even on the tiller, then if someone is close enough to potentially get poked in the eye, then they're practically standing on the ECV in the first place! Which means they're too close! Natch!

Depends on the crowds and if one is in motion. I'd be concerned about a flagpole flexing as I went over bumps and going outside the ECV's footprint- as it flexed it could easily get someone.

I never even considered a flexible 'flag pole'! If you use that argument, then one wouldn't be able to hire a sunshade roof for scooters - these just clip into the frame underneath the seat.

I never even considered a flexible 'flag pole'! If you use that argument, then one wouldn't be able to hire a sunshade roof for scooters - these just clip into the frame underneath the seat.
The sunshades are much heavier duty than the flagpoles.
The sunshades are also attached on both sides and are much more rigid, so they are not likely to be flexing.
See this picture:
https://www.buenavistascooters.com/products_details.asp?id=10

There are some flags that stick straight up - those should be OK.
The ones I have seen that I would personally be concerned about are on the back of the ECV and stick slightly snarled back. I have seen those almost hit someone, in one case, someone in the ECV user's own group who almost got it in the eye when the ECV user backed up.

I got a rope (string) burn on my neck from a stroller with a balloon tied on they cut in front of my scooter the balloon was just long enough to go across my throat it hurt for days

The thing I couldn't get over was people glancing over their shoulders, see there's a scooter coming - and then it's as if you're 1000 miles long and if they don't cross in front of you RIGHT THIS SECOND they'll get split up from the rest of their party forever! It's just bonkers. The number of teens who nearly hopped over the front of the scooter in their haste to cross over - quite unnecessarilly - just baffled me.

I'm still thinking, but it seems like the solution would be something on the front-ish end of the scooter, rather than the back. That way it wouldn't poke anyone (if they are that close, they're already been hit). Or, use something on the back that isn't pokey. I had kinda' been thinking of using dual dowel arrangement with a clip art cut out crown at the top. Get the visual - me on pink scooter, crown above my head, LOL!!??! It wouldn't be high enough to block anyone's view, and since it would be taped on, could be removed for fireworks, etc. Glitter would be involved though.

I dunno...I'll play around with ideas for a while.

We rent an ecv for my mom. She needs to walk some too though and one of us transports the scooter. It is what it is.

The thing I couldn't get over was people glancing over their shoulders, see there's a scooter coming - and then it's as if you're 1000 miles long and if they don't cross in front of you RIGHT THIS SECOND they'll get split up from the rest of their party forever! It's just bonkers. The number of teens who nearly hopped over the front of the scooter in their haste to cross over - quite unnecessarilly - just baffled me.

Don't worry, it has nothing to do with scooters. On the local greenway, if I look like I'm going to pass right through a group they tend to jump to the right or left of me too. And I'm either jogging or biking. What I've found is slowing to the speed of the group and following them until they turn off, or taking a wide berth around them tends to keep them from scattering in front of me.

You think of your scooter as a mobility device, groups tend to think of them as battering rams, as they run across too many folks that give scooter drivers a bad name. So they see them and try and scamper out of the way. Just not necessarily in the direction you are expecting.

I do agree about the ECV and a child. But as a fulltime wheelchair user I carried my DD in my lap from when she was an infant. I realize that in dealing with such a large and diverse crowd of people WDW needs to make some choices. But not all lap kids are bad.

BillCacie3.jpg
I agree. It’s obvious that someone left alone with a child while others ride may need to hold them. While it’s just as obvious of someone just playing around letting the child drive, holding a large child etc. Not all lap kids are bad. I’ve been left with a two year old and had to get her back to hotel. It’s very clear that you can’t ride and ECV and push a stroller at the same time. Only option hold the baby. I’ve been using in ECV for 17 years, I’m an experienced driver and I’m fully capable of controlling said vehicle while holding a toddler.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!