Official Wheeled Vehicle Policy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cheshire Figment

<font color=red><marquee behavior=alternate>Friend
The following official Disney policy concerning wheeled vehicles for people with disabilities was announced on December 11, 2009.

Please review these guidelines regarding wheeled mobility devices that our Guests with disabilities are welcome to use while visiting our parks and resorts.

* All wheeled mobility devices must have 3 or 4 wheels and maintain stability and balance when unoccupied.
* The INDEPENDENCE iBOT mobility device is permitted for use throughout our parks and resort areas and can be operated in a two-wheel balance mode, but must be in four-wheel mode to board and use attraction ride vehicles and transportation vehicles.
* Devices must be single-rider. Devices must be used by the person with the disability and are not to be used to carry passengers.
* Devices may not exceed 36" in width. This dimension is in keeping with the size of our entrance gates.
* Devices must not be converted recreational devices. For example, pull wagons or coolers on wheels are not permitted.
* Devices are to be operated while seated. Devices that require the user to stand must be directed to your area Leader or Duty Manager for additional actions.
And it further indicates that:

• According to its manufacturer, the INDEPENDENCE iBOT is a FDA approved indoor/outdoor power mobility device that can rise to eye level, drive over uneven surfaces, climb curbs, and go up or down stairs.
• It is individually configured for its user and can be operated in standard, four-wheel mode or in a two-wheel balance mode.
• Also making it different than other two-wheel or stand-up devices, the unique operating and balancing systems of the iBOT™ allow the device to default to a four-wheel mode when it detects an error.
• Following the manufacturer’s guidelines, we require guests to be in four-wheel mode to board and use attraction ride vehicles and transportation vehicles.
• We rely upon our guests to use their best judgment and follow the manufacturer’s instructions on when to travel in the two-wheel balance mode when not on transportation or attraction vehicles.

Thanks for the update.
I will add this to the FAQs thread.

The only one that worries me is the one that says "must be operated by the person with the disability" - I know lots of people who switch off when they need a chance to walk. I know this is largely to keep untrained people or kids from the devices, but my wife drives mine all the time when i get on a ride and she doesnt. (i have a powerchair) Oh well... i guess since we are careful and dont act foolishly, it won't be a problem

Something else to mention:

My new mobility device will have 6 wheels, not 3 or 4 (getting a new Quantum 600, as soon as insurance is done being stupid). Not that I think anyone will stop me, but since there was already a problem with an approved device, perhaps the rule should be amended to include this...

I also wanted to say that i am VERY happy that disney reiterated that only ONE person is allowed on a mobility device at a time!! I saw SO many people using their laps as a way to transports multiple children, which is unsafe.

The only one that worries me is the one that says "must be operated by the person with the disability" - I know lots of people who switch off when they need a chance to walk. I know this is largely to keep untrained people or kids from the devices, but my wife drives mine all the time when i get on a ride and she doesnt. (i have a powerchair) Oh well... i guess since we are careful and dont act foolishly, it won't be a problem

Something else to mention:

My new mobility device will have 6 wheels, not 3 or 4 (getting a new Quantum 600, as soon as insurance is done being stupid). Not that I think anyone will stop me, but since there was already a problem with an approved device, perhaps the rule should be amended to include this...
I think that the part I bolded was mostly so that they have a way to stop someone without a disability from 'joyriding' and acting in a dangerous way when the person with a disability may be not in the wheelchair for some reason. I actually often drive DD's power wheelchair from the side for her when she is tired or otherwise unable to drive.

And, I think they specified 3 or 4 wheels to rule out anyone using a device with less than 3 wheels (like the Segway). The other reason is that a device must have at least 3-4 wheels to be self supporting.
ucm082387.gif

The iBot actually has 6 wheels, as do mid wheel power wheelchairs like the Quantum you are getting and my DD"s Invacare TCX wheelchair.

Devices must be single-rider. Devices must be used by the person with the disability and are not to be used to carry passengers.

:worship:::yes:: This is my first post after returning home. I got home about 15 minutes ago. My largest peeve about the trip was the number of people that I saw this week with one or two children riding on ECV's with them. :mad: I sincerely hope the CM's start addressing this particular behavior, even if it's not a scooter that Disney owns and rents. I was shocked at the huge increase in this particular behavior. I have seen only one or two EVC drivers in all of my past trips that had their kids on their scooters, but this time, there were at the very least 20 scooters carrying 1 or 2 kids in addition to the adult driver. :sad2: While I don't envy the CM's for having to say something about it, I do applaude those that do make the effort because those kids need to be safeguarded, even if their parents are too ignorant and/or stupid to do so.

:worship:::yes:: This is my first post after returning home. I got home about 15 minutes ago. My largest peeve about the trip was the number of people that I saw this week with one or two children riding on ECV's with them. :mad: I sincerely hope the CM's start addressing this particular behavior, even if it's not a scooter that Disney owns and rents. I was shocked at the huge increase in this particular behavior. I have seen only one or two EVC drivers in all of my past trips that had their kids on their scooters, but this time, there were at the very least 20 scooters carrying 1 or 2 kids in addition to the adult driver. :sad2: While I don't envy the CM's for having to say something about it, I do applaude those that do make the effort because those kids need to be safeguarded, even if their parents are too ignorant and/or stupid to do so.
Even worse than the people having their kids riding with them on their ECV are the people who have their children in their laps and the children are driving the ECV.
We were behind a woman using an ECV a few trips ago in Epcot who kept looking to the side, not the direction she was going. Her ECV seemed to be swerving all over. As we got closer, I saw it was not that she wasn't watching where she was going - she was not driving. The small child in front of her was driving. He was standing to be tall enough to see over the tiller and could not have been more than 4.:scared1:

I have seen too many people to count who have a child on the ECV with them, but I've actually seen 10-15 with the child doing the driving.

I do agree about the ECV and a child. But as a fulltime wheelchair user I carried my DD in my lap from when she was an infant. I realize that in dealing with such a large and diverse crowd of people WDW needs to make some choices. But not all lap kids are bad.

BillCacie3.jpg

My concern is the 36" rule, I know plenty of people who have and need approved devices wider than 36", I think Disney would be hard pressed to enforce that one if one of them showed up.

I'm 36"+ and just got home from the MK.
I do not fit through the main gates and have to go through the large ones in the middle.......no problem getting in, but the lead (CM) did not want to let me out!!!!

I think the focus on safety is excellent. The wording and order is not ideal, but since it is a guideline giving it the “’legal” wordings would have made it harder for many to understand. Quite honestly they did not need the first line if they had made the safety mode in the second line generic.

It sets model for other devices with 2-wheel capabilities that if a manufacturer can design a “safe” one specifically adapted to individuals with a disability then this is certainly within the “spirit” of the guidelines.

There are certainly some word and items that are not within the ADA guidelines, like limiting the device to 36” (which should have been worded just that these devices will not fit through standard ADA openings and may limit access for the individual) and the standing device review should say safety review and potential additional actions, but I whole a good step forward in ensuring that the safety of WDW will improve, in so much as mobility devices are concerned.

bookwormde

Where was this announced? - the OP has cut/pasted but I can't seem to find the original source.

Sue - I know you have posted it before - What are the ADA guidelines for what an "approved medical device" width and length? I know there is a maximum size that businesses (including disney) MUST accommodate - not that they do not let the larger ones in, but i know that there is a maximum size for things like wheelchair lifts and stuff...

CF, thanks for posting this! It all seems to be fairly sensible stuff, and hopefully will be enforced with common sense by all CMs :thumbsup2.

I do agree about the ECV and a child. But as a fulltime wheelchair user I carried my DD in my lap from when she was an infant. I realize that in dealing with such a large and diverse crowd of people WDW needs to make some choices. But not all lap kids are bad.

This was the one thing I was thinking about with that rule, too. I don't yet have kids, but when I do, they're going to ride on my lap at least some of the time. Hopefully Disney will understand this, and CMs won't stop people in this situation, as long as they are safe.

I completely understand on the ECV front, of course; I've seen a few kids hit the controls or the driver's arm in their excitement, and send the ECV lurching off in some random direction :scared1:. I've also seen one or two kids driving, but thankfully I've not seen any accidents as a result.... yet.

Bill, just got to say that picture of you and your DD when she was little is absolutely beautiful! Thank you for posting it :goodvibes

Where was this announced? - the OP has cut/pasted but I can't seem to find the original source.

He is a CM and I'm quite certain it is from the CM website.
I imagine it will eventually end up on the WDW Guest website with the disability information, but I don't have time to look if it is there yet.

This was announced in the internal (passworded) site as it is providing guidance for Cast Members. I imagine that some similar public announcement may be forthcoming but probably requires more wording approval from Legal.

CF, thanks for posting this! It all seems to be fairly sensible stuff, and hopefully will be enforced with common sense by all CMs :thumbsup2.

This was the one thing I was thinking about with that rule, too. I don't yet have kids, but when I do, they're going to ride on my lap at least some of the time. Hopefully Disney will understand this, and CMs won't stop people in this situation, as long as they are safe.

I completely understand on the ECV front, of course; I've seen a few kids hit the controls or the driver's arm in their excitement, and send the ECV lurching off in some random direction :scared1:. I've also seen one or two kids driving, but thankfully I've not seen any accidents as a result.... yet.

Bill, just got to say that picture of you and your DD when she was little is absolutely beautiful! Thank you for posting it :goodvibes

I think that it depends on the device and the user - kids will also be on my lap with my powerchair, but we with manual and power wheelchairs do not have controls in front of us - it is much harder for kids to accidentally hit the controls for a manual chair! ;)

Even if you think your child will not interfere with the safe use of a wheelchair or ECV, what do you think happens when the child loses balance? Either you keep your hands on the controls/wheels/brake, etc., and the kid tumbles off onto the pavement, or you let go of the controls and grab the kid.

Or think of it this way - would you drive in bumper-to-bumper traffic with your toddler in your lap?

Sue - I know you have posted it before - What are the ADA guidelines for what an "approved medical device" width and length? I know there is a maximum size that businesses (including disney) MUST accommodate - not that they do not let the larger ones in, but i know that there is a maximum size for things like wheelchair lifts and stuff...
The ADA includes guidelines for length, width and occupied weight.

The Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990 (ADA) (49 CFR Parts 27, 37, and 38) defines a "common wheelchair" as a mobility aid belonging to any class of three or four-wheeled devices, usable indoors, designed for and used by individuals with mobility impairments, whether operated manually or powered. A "common wheelchair" does not exceed 30 inches in width and 48 inches in length measured two inches above the ground, and does not weigh more than 600 pounds when occupied.

For some perspective, my DD's power wheelchair, which looks truly huge to me is less than 25 inches wide and less than 39 inches long.
The WDW rental ECVs look very large, but I measured one the last time we were at WDW and it actually was only 24-25 inches wide also.

My concern is the 36" rule, I know plenty of people who have and need approved devices wider than 36", I think Disney would be hard pressed to enforce that one if one of them showed up.
They would not need to be accommodated per the current ADA Guidelines, so even though they may bring it in, they may not be able to use it in lines, stores, attractions because it is bigger than the size of doorways and access routes required by the ADA. There are specific measurements in the ADA Architectural Guidelines that say how big spaces need to be. If someone has a device larger than that, their device does not have to be accommodated - a 36 inch wide doorway would be large - many are that wide, but I am fairly certain that the requirement is only for 32 inches wide.

Disney lists their standard bus lift as being 32" wide x 48" long and does say that any mobility device needs to fit on the lift without forcing in order to board the bus. That size comes from the ADA/Federal Transportation Laws regarding access.

As for passengers on ECVs, power or manual wheelchairs, I imagine they will be very black and white; keeping it no passengers. If you actually go back to the operator's instructions for any of those things, I'm very sure there is something in the book that says "no passengers" or "don't allow anyone to ride with you."
For power devices, it is a safety issue for other guests, so they would be within their rights to ask anyone (even someone with a personal ECV or power wheelchair) to not have any riders. If they get 'gray' and say that they will enforce it for guests who are renting ECVs in the park only, they will get lots of complaints from those guests when they see other people doing it. And to be honest, most of the people I have seen with extra passengers or child drivers have not been using WDW park rental ECVs. And, a child falling off of a moving ECV or power wheelchair could be badly hurt and WDW would have some liability if they saw and didn't stop.

As far as manual wheelchairs, I'm sure they are concerned about lawsuits - if a child being held falls out of the wheelchair, I am sure there are people who would sue because the pavement is uneven or something else. Again, it would be much easier for CMs just to have the rule black and white.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter