***Official*** Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge Information Thread *** Contains SPOILERS ***

I went to Star Wars land yesterday

I did...
Ronto roasters
Milk stand
Docking bay 7
Ogas Cantina
Millennium Falcon Smugglers Run
All photopass spots

It’s was absolutely beautiful and very manageable...no over abundance of crowds whatsoever. Also a cast member let me into the fast pass lane of smugglers run when she saw my military backpack, very appreciative as I’m proud to serve the country too :)

Yes because they raised prices. I’ve mentioned this already. I’m not saying they won’t raise prices again but I think they’ll slow down because they are reaching the plateau. Iger himself said they are looking at holding back on price increases.
Yep, it has gotten a bit nuts. Just a few years ago it was significantly less. We're going this fall, and I would have been the type to say "let's go down just for a long weekend to do ROTR" but now I'm going to wait until probably 2021 for that.

I get it, I do. I don’t think what Disney did was a bad thing though. They still have pieces from all over the the Star Wars universe. If they built just Tatooine or Endor they would be limited to a very specific time and honestly outside of the cantina I really wouldn’t want much else from Tatooine. I like how they made something new and fresh. Allows for more exploration of sorts. More learning, with books and other lore from the Star Wars universe.
I was one who had a lot of doubts about a new land that we've never seen before. I LOVE Potterlands 1 and 2 at Uni specifically because they captured the beauty of the movies and books so well, so I went into GE prepared for disappointment, or at least to be "meh" about it. But I was WOWED! And after wandering around for a few hours, taking it all in, I felt like I understood what Disney was going for and it felt... natural? Right? IDK how to best express it. I felt well and truly immersed in a story that wasn't yet written, and was writing itself as I went along. I do feel like GE is better if you can devote some time to it, not just hop in, hit the must-dos and get out. The more time I spent in there not rushing and trying to "do" things, the better it felt. And like others have expressed, I really did forget I was in DHS!

I think there's also another element in the never-ending "is it a success" argument. Star Wars fans are notoriously hard to please. We want more content but only if it's this very specific content, and we want more experiences but they better not include these elements from the new movies, or I'm not going, etc etc. There were always going to be some Star Wars "fans" that were going to crap on Galaxy's Edge just because it's at Disney or just because it includes the new trilogy characters. These are the same folks who got mad that Force Awakens was too predictable and then livid that The Last Jedi was unpredictable.

I just know for me, I'm taking everything I read from these first few months with a grain of salt because like so many things, a lot of your experience is going to depend on your expectations. I'm going into it with an open mind to experience the land for myself. And as so many people have pointed out, the phased opening is probably having a bigger impact than expected. With the steep price hikes, most people (especially people who aren't local) can't justify the cost of two separate trips for phase 1 and phase 2, so they're going to wait until Rise of the Resistance is open so they can experience everything at once.

I'm the dead on target demo for the original trilogy. I was 14, 15 when it came out. Saw it over 10 times, standing in line in to get in the theater every time, because back in those days, we had 1, maybe 2 theaters per town and you got lucky to get in to a showing. A 4 screen theater was revolutionary. But, life goes on, even out in The Galaxy. We are not stuck on those original movies and in the original storyline. They've progressed, grown. It was not possible to build a land-based on stories that have ended, moved on. With characters that are no more, or at least drastically different. It had to be based on new and current stories. What is so hard for people to understand about that?

I think there's also another element in the never-ending "is it a success" argument. Star Wars fans are notoriously hard to please. We want more content but only if it's this very specific content, and we want more experiences but they better not include these elements from the new movies, or I'm not going, etc etc. There were always going to be some Star Wars "fans" that were going to crap on Galaxy's Edge just because it's at Disney or just because it includes the new trilogy characters. These are the same folks who got mad that Force Awakens was too predictable and then livid that The Last Jedi was unpredictable.
You mean they are impossible to please and hate on something for the sake of hate, nothing more? Just like Disney fans LOL

That’s what’s sort of crazy. The past few years the fall had grown increasingly larger in terms of crowds. This year it’s died down. I am thinking we are seeing a change in how or where people vacation as well as Disney reaching their price equilibrium of sorts. The higher prices go the less people will come. For example in the last earnings report spending/revenue for the parks was up but attendance was down. I see Disney slowing down the frequency of their price increases now to sort of play with this middle ground.
Fall yes but not late summer.
This particular time is the lowest (aka best) due to the fact that EVERYONE is back in school now and it's way too close to the start of school to take kids out, even those that started in August. Next month is when there should be an uptick in crowds. Or will be more telling. Fall break, getting far enough out from start of school that kids can take off for a day or two. I'd expect the crowds right now to be down. Maybe they are down more than expected, not sure. I don't have good memories for the past few years at this time. Since DGD went to school (and she's in 6th now) we've avoided this particular time.

How early are people lining up for the 6 am rope drop? Trying to figure out a good time to get there on friday morning

Fall yes but not late summer.
This particular time is the lowest (aka best) due to the fact that EVERYONE is back in school now and it's way too close to the start of school to take kids out, even those that started in August. Next month is when there should be an uptick in crowds. Or will be more telling. Fall break, getting far enough out from start of school that kids can take off for a day or two. I'd expect the crowds right now to be down. Maybe they are down more than expected, not sure. I don't have good memories for the past few years at this time. Since DGD went to school (and she's in 6th now) we've avoided this particular time.
Obviously this land hasn’t been open for a summer period yet but even the last few years summer which 5-10 years ago was some of the busiest times at WDW is now very manageable or even slow. I went right after the 4th of July this year and crowds were rather great.

Like you said though the fall break period and then the holidays will be telling. I know hotel rooms haven’t filled like they have hoped.

Obviously this land hasn’t been open for a summer period yet but even the last few years summer which 5-10 years ago was some of the busiest times at WDW is now very manageable or even slow. I went right after the 4th of July this year and crowds were rather great.

Like you said though the fall break period and then the holidays will be telling. I know hotel rooms haven’t filled like they have hoped.
Could that be due to their own making? Adding in the DS hotels to the 60 day FP umbrella is bound to drop on-site occupancy, no?

Could that be due to their own making? Adding in the DS hotels to the 60 day FP umbrella is bound to drop on-site occupancy, no?

Add to it, those silly HIGH across the board PRICE increases!!

Food, tickets, resorts, Disney pushed it to the limit I think and are paying for it now, I mean how many "free dining" offers have they had this year alone, 2-3 to try to get more people?? That alone I believe is the primary reasoning for the lower crowds, not that Disney was ever economically reasonable as it has always been on the higher side of family vacations but now with the additional costs, parking etc, they may have just pushed it too far.....

Add to it, those silly HIGH across the board PRICE increases!!

Food, tickets, resorts, Disney pushed it to the limit I think and are paying for it now, I mean how many "free dining" offers have they had this year alone, 2-3?? That alone I believe is the primary reasoning for the lower crowds, not that Disney was ever economically reasonable as it has always been on the higher side of family vacations but now with the additional costs, parking etc, they may have just pushed ot too far.....
That’s why I think we will see a slowing of the price increases. They’ll still raise prices of course but not as frequently.

Hello all FL Residsnt dis family of 4..so i have been reading all the great info and trip stories etc. from the board about GE thanks to all..we will be heading for our first GE visit with hopes of ROTR...on dec 5th-8th stayin at AOA for my 5yr old princess who is excited as me for seeing it all at GE may i just ask does anyone know if they will extend or bring back for the ROTR opening any early magic hours/eemh becuase as of now the park hours schedule has nothin for hollywood studios during that 4 day weekend when the ride is slated to open...which means stayin onsite has no advantage for anyone getting a head start on the park which is dissapointing..they have to be planning something?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter