***Official*** Pandora: The World of Avatar Information Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

I'm not sure why anyone would underestimate the staying power of a land dedicated to the highest grossing movie of all time.

Avantar was highest grossing in part because it was of the technology. Many IMAX and 3Ds showings which bring in more money. I recall the Avatar hey day and it was ALL about the technology and visual. this was a first. It was amazing especially in IMAX 3D. Many went just to experience that.. I recall people saying you have to go to the IMAX because what you see will blow your mind.. Nobody was like " hey there is this great story you gotta see". Watching it now at home does not do the same justice.

Avatar had its standard promos and ties in back then.. But ask me today who played the lead and what his name was??? I cannot recall. I specifically recall Sig... Weaver was in it.. I have NO emotional connection to it.. And had WDW not created this land, I would have honeslty forgotten about this movie.

Now in comparision to Toy Story... there is a deeper connection. People know the actors, the characters.. There is an emotional connection be immersed in this land. I can only imagine how Star Wars fan will feel next year.. ( though that has the double bang,, the techonology ( back then ) and the almost religion like story.

I can watch those movies at home, I have the same emotional connection. sure some may feel the same about Avatar, but for me and all I know.. Avatar was forgotten.. Toy Story wasnt. generations watch it new again. I had never thought to show my kids Avatar ( until the land came out)..

But this is great compliment to disney..One does not need the backround or emotional connection to enjoy Pandora, repeatly.

Avantar was highest grossing in part because it was of the technology. Many IMAX and 3Ds showings which bring in more money. I recall the Avatar hey day and it was ALL about the technology and visual. this was a first. It was amazing especially in IMAX 3D. Many went just to experience that.. I recall people saying you have to go to the IMAX because what you see will blow your mind.. Nobody was like " hey there is this great story you gotta see". Watching it now at home does not do the same justice.

Avatar had its standard promos and ties in back then.. But ask me today who played the lead and what his name was??? I cannot recall. I specifically recall Sig... Weaver was in it.. I have NO emotional connection to it.. And had WDW not created this land, I would have honeslty forgotten about this movie.

Now in comparision to Toy Story... there is a deeper connection. People know the actors, the characters.. There is an emotional connection be immersed in this land. I can only imagine how Star Wars fan will feel next year.. ( though that has the double bang,, the techonology ( back then ) and the almost religion like story.

I can watch those movies at home, I have the same emotional connection. sure some may feel the same about Avatar, but for me and all I know.. Avatar was forgotten.. Toy Story wasnt. generations watch it new again. I had never thought to show my kids Avatar ( until the land came out)..

But this is great compliment to disney..One does not need the backround or emotional connection to enjoy Pandora, repeatly.
In a a lot of ways, Pandora is almost a perfect land for Avatar because it’s very similar to why Avatar was a success. The story of the land is fairly barebones and doesn’t invoke an emotional response, but the technology on both rides is so impressive that you don’t care. Flight of Passage is the best screen ride I’ve ever ridden and the CG and effects are second to none. Movie quality. Meanwhile Navi River Journey has maybe the most impressive animatronic ever created.

Just as Avatar impressed with technological perfection, Pandora does as well

In a a lot of ways, Pandora is almost a perfect land for Avatar because it’s very similar to why Avatar was a success. The story of the land is fairly barebones and doesn’t invoke an emotional response, but the technology on both rides is so impressive that you don’t care. Flight of Passage is the best screen ride I’ve ever ridden and the CG and effects are second to none. Movie quality. Meanwhile Navi River Journey has maybe the most impressive animatronic ever created.

Just as Avatar impressed with technological perfection, Pandora does as well

FoP is amazing, but Disney could have made that ride just as great if it was based on another movie. It is the technology of the ride that is amazing...people would still ride it if it was based off of Up or Wall-E or even the Rescuers Down Under.

FoP is amazing, but Disney could have made that ride just as great if it was based on another movie. It is the technology of the ride that is amazing...people would still ride it if it was based off of Up or Wall-E or even the Rescuers Down Under.
While I agree completely, at the time there wasn’t really any indication that Avatar would fall off culturally

At the same time, it may prove to be a great investment if the Avatar sequels improve upon the original. James Cameron very seldom makes bad movies. It could be a Terminator 2 situation where the first is good and the second is amazing.

While I agree completely, at the time there wasn’t really any indication that Avatar would fall off culturally

At the same time, it may prove to be great investment if the Avatar sequels improve upon the original. James Cameron very seldom makes bad movies. It could be a Terminator 2 situation where the first is good and the second is amazing.

Yeah, all we can do is wait and see how well the sequels do.

I do love me some Terminator and Terminator 2! Although all I think about when I hear about James Cameron is this:

Well, the same thing happened with Titanic. Highest-grossing movie of all time in 1997/1998. These days it's hard to find anyone who will admit to even liking it.

Again... maybe you missed it from the announcement up until almost opening day the majority (maybe vast majority?) of Disney fans were not excited about Pandora or didn’t expect it to work, especially in Animal Kingdom.

Just curious where you gathered this statistic from.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter