***Official*** Pandora: The World of Avatar Information Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
My advice to any ride you want to try that you are nervous about triggering motion sickness issues is to plan to ride it at an opportune time where if it does make you queasy or full on motion sick it won't ruin the rest of your day or trip.
Agreed.

It's comparable in that you have the glasses, and you aren't on a track, and it is a simulator that moves with the video... In short, there are different types of "motion sickness," some caused by the 3-D effects, some by 2-D images on screen, some by actual motion, within motion sickness caused by actual physical motion, some is triggered by inversions, some by side to side movement, etc... It is really hard to predict motion sickness in individual people based on the presence of motion sickness in others on any given ride.

As an example, a friend of mine gets motion sick fairly often. At Disney and Universal she did well on Gringott's, she did well on Soarin', she watched the movie at France and it triggered her sickness and she had it the rest of the day. Obviously, with her it was a visual thing triggered by the POV and the wrap around screen in France.

My advice to any ride you want to try that you are nervous about triggering motion sickness issues is to plan to ride it at an opportune time where if it does make you queasy or full on motion sick it won't ruin the rest of your day or trip.
I’m lucky enough that no rides makes me sick. I’m hoping that doesn’t change as I age because I’ve heard that’s common. Dh gets sick on spinning rides so we can only do teacups once lol
He did say last week that star tours made him a little queasy so he didn’t want to do it again. It’s just so hard for me to imagine a ride like that making someone sick but that’s because I don’t get sick.

I’m lucky enough that no rides makes me sick. I’m hoping that doesn’t change as I age because I’ve heard that’s common. Dh gets sick on spinning rides so we can only do teacups once lol
He did say last week that star tours made him a little queasy so he didn’t want to do it again. It’s just so hard for me to imagine a ride like that making someone sick but that’s because I don’t get sick.
It did change for me when I aged, but I also had a 8 year hiatus from WDW. So it was probably a combination of those two things.

It did change for me when I aged, but I also had a 8 year hiatus from WDW. So it was probably a combination of those two things.
If we weren’t at Disney I would go to six flags lol. That’s the closest theme park to us but still a 3 hour or so drive. We have a small theme park but it’s not very fun.

I'm not really a fan of Six Flags. Went there once, it was insanely crowded with huge lines for anything decent. Has more of a cheap carnival flair than a theme park, at least the local one.

I'm not really a fan of Six Flags. Went there once, it was insanely crowded with huge lines for anything decent. Has more of a cheap carnival flair than a theme park, at least the local one.
I definitely agree that it’s more carnival like but I love the roller coasters. We used to live in Georgia and the coaster there where you stand is awesome. Superman is fun too.

I don't get much motion sickness on rides that move. Although I have noticed that most roller coasters are now a one and done per day thing for me. And last time I rode the Mummy after dinner I almost didn't make it though the ride! Timing does matter. I also avoid "swing rides" of all kinds.

What has always gotten me though, is the simulators. My first experience with it was Body Wars at Epcot-- horribly sick for hours. FJ, also a bummer. But whatever technology they use in Gringotts, works fine for me. Maybe it's because the ride moves too?

I have never been brave enough to try Star Tours. I heard too many puking stories. Soarin, I was nervous about but I have ridden it a couple of times with only minor issues. So I guess was curious where FOP fit in with the rest. Thanks for all your advice.

I don't get much motion sickness on rides that move. Although I have noticed that most roller coasters are now a one and done per day thing for me. And last time I rode the Mummy after dinner I almost didn't make it though the ride! Timing does matter. I also avoid "swing rides" of all kinds.

What has always gotten me though, is the simulators. My first experience with it was Body Wars at Epcot-- horribly sick for hours. FJ, also a bummer. But whatever technology they use in Gringotts, works fine for me. Maybe it's because the ride moves too?

I have never been brave enough to try Star Tours. I heard too many puking stories. Soarin, I was nervous about but I have ridden it a couple of times with only minor issues. So I guess was curious where FOP fit in with the rest. Thanks for all your advice.
If I had to guess, you'll almost certainly have issues with FOP based on this. Again, if you're gonna try it, do it at the end of the day or when it's "ok" (as much as it can be ok) for you to possibly get sick from the ride.

I have a question about FP for Navi River... park hours were just extended for my day in May and a second show of ROL added. I gave up my ROL FP and took one instead for Safari. I will be entering park 3pm-close (10:30), stand by now for second show of ROL. . My last FP is at 5:50... what are my odds at that point for getting a fourth FP for Navi River that evening ?? I do have a FP for another day of my trip but would love to get on Navi that day and not have to go back.

I have a question about FP for Navi River... park hours were just extended for my day in May and a second show of ROL added. I gave up my ROL FP and took one instead for Safari. I will be entering park 3pm-close (10:30), stand by now for second show of ROL. . My last FP is at 5:50... what are my odds at that point for getting a fourth FP for Navi River that evening ?? I do have a FP for another day of my trip but would love to get on Navi that day and not have to go back.
I would ride Navi at park close. It usually doesn’t have a long wait at the end of the day. I’ve gotten a 4th fp for it before but they are sporadic if they appear.

I would ride Navi at park close. It usually doesn’t have a long wait at the end of the day. I’ve gotten a 4th fp for it before but they are sporadic if they appear.

Thank you. We have never seen ROL and my group wants to so Navi at park close won't work... however with ROL at 10:30 second show perhaps the Navi wait won't be super long during the first ROL show at 9:15pm??

Thank you. We have never seen ROL and my group wants to so Navi at park close won't work... however with ROL at 10:30 second show perhaps the Navi wait won't be super long during the first ROL show at 9:15pm??
Is there a reason your not going to the first showing of RoL? I would do the first show then go over to Pandora.

Is there a reason your not going to the first showing of RoL? I would do the first show then go over to Pandora.

Hmmm, I don't know :scratchin I guess I was just going with everyone saying "go to the second ROL show". We could do that but we'd do it stand by... unless we snagged a 4th FP for ROL. Here is our plan so far: enter park 2:30ish, stay till close 10:30. Have FP for FOP 3-4pm, EE 4:15-5:15, want to see new Up bird show 5pm, Safari FP 5:50, Yak and Yeti ADR 6:40... then I guess I'm trying to figure out from 7:30 till close.

We are traveling with our adult children (in their early 20's) so no little ones.

Hmmm, I don't know :scratchin I guess I was just going with everyone saying "go to the second ROL show". We could do that but we'd do it stand by... unless we snagged a 4th FP for ROL. Here is our plan so far: enter park 2:30ish, stay till close 10:30. Have FP for FOP 3-4pm, EE 4:15-5:15, want to see new Up bird show 5pm, Safari FP 5:50, Yak and Yeti ADR 6:40... then I guess I'm trying to figure out from 7:30 till close.

We are traveling with our adult children (in their early 20's) so no little ones.
I would try and get your 4th fp for the first RoL. It’s doable.

I would try and get your 4th fp for the first RoL. It’s doable.

Sounds like a good plan. We will try for this and then we can keep checking for Navi incase someone cancels last minute. Thanks for the alternate thinking. ::yes::

Finally dining in Satuli Canteen! The pods were good. I was especially pleased with the chips. Blueberry cheesecake was very good as well.

I'm glad you enjoyed it! I like the pods but I think the bowls are even better.

They are being very nit picky/serious about the warning cards being handed out. They forgot to give me one at the front of the line and at the card collection point she made me read it in front of her even though I said I’ve been on the ride several times.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter