*** Official Microsoft Ignite 2019 ****

Awesome for me. We have DVC and WDW APs so I hardly ever get to go to Universal. I really hope Hagrid's is running!!

The line is going to be insane though. 2 years ago I could barely walk through the Harry Potter stuff and just avoided it all together. If you get there early and run straight for it, you might have a shot at riding it before the party ends.

1 week to go! I'm flying in early Sunday and leaving late Saturday to squeeze some park time in while I have an AP.

The line is going to be insane though. 2 years ago I could barely walk through the Harry Potter stuff and just avoided it all together. If you get there early and run straight for it, you might have a shot at riding it before the party ends.

1 week to go! I'm flying in early Sunday and leaving late Saturday to squeeze some park time in while I have an AP.

The run to Harry Potter land has worked for me in the past.. but you raise a good point about a new ride..
Looking forward to the conference..
I will be checking out Universal on Sunday as well.. and doing the Holiday party at MK on Friday..
-Charlie

I'm just hoping I'll fit. I'm getting all paranoid about people posting about being turned away. I rode Hulk last year but it was a little snug!

Did MS confirm the Thursday night party would be at Universal again yet?

Last edited:

Did MS confirm the Thursday night party would be a Universal again yet?
They did. Can someone who attended this in the past comment on some of the details? Do you have to pay for parking? What food/drink is provided? How bad are the lines/crowds? Or any other info would be appreciated!

They did. Can someone who attended this in the past comment on some of the details? Do you have to pay for parking? What food/drink is provided? How bad are the lines/crowds? Or any other info would be appreciated!
I didn't go last year, but two years ago it is more crowded than a regular park day that time of year. I got to go on 3 1/2 rides (skull island broke down halfway through). There were plenty of food choices. They bussed us so I do not know about parking.

Very crowded, most food locations are open with a tasting menu of a few items. Plus there are additional street carts with hot dogs and the like.

It doesn't *seem* like the Ignite attendees would fill both parks. Is it just congested in certain areas or are there just more people attending than I realize? I thought it was about 35,000 but maybe it's more..

You know, I'm not really sure what time we got there. It was early enough that there was hardly a line at the security checkpoint before entering City Walk.

Anyone have any suggestions on what time to arrive in order to be close to the gate? Will be using Uber rather than the shuttle.

Anyone have any suggestions on what time to arrive in order to be close to the gate? Will be using Uber rather than the shuttle.

The event starts at 7:30, and I think the first shuttles to the celebration start running at 6:30. If you get to the gate at 6:30 you'll probably be one of the first people in. It's up to you if you want to stand around for an hour or not. This year I'm thinking I might grab an early dinner at the CityWalk and get there early. Depends if my co-workers want to ride Hagrid or not. They're not used to my WDW level of planning though.

Last year I didn't have to pay for parking. The year before we took the bus. There's a basic selection of Soda (Coke, Diet Coke, Sprite I think), and then free beer and wine available everywhere. All the food carts are open, and free, and the restaurants serve a limited menu as well until maybe 10. There's also little buffet stations setup all over the place. Last year they had a Nacho bar, Sliders, and some other stuff setup. I always hunt down a turkey leg, and wash it down with a cold beer.

The A list stuff gets super crowded. The line for Hulk 2 years ago went to 90 minutes really fast. Last year it rained a fair bit, so that tamped down the crowds and shut a few rides down as well. I avoid the Harry Potter stuff completely, the crowds are heaviest back there, and I'm not really into it so I don't really care. You can spend 3 hours waiting to ride the train between parks though at peak time.

It doesn't *seem* like the Ignite attendees would fill both parks. Is it just congested in certain areas or are there just more people attending than I realize? I thought it was about 35,000 but maybe it's more..

The parks get pretty full to be honest. The A+ rides get packed. Expect long lines for Hulk, Harry Potter, Rip Ride Rocket, etc. The crowds do thin out as the night goes on though, I got a lot of stuff done in the last hour of the party last year. It was stuff like the Jimmy Fallon and Minion ride though. Mummy usually isn't too bad. The problem is folks are going to crowd the big adult rides. No one is really hanging out in the Dr. Seuss or Simspons parts of the park.

Most people go in and immediately head left toward Hulk, so all those rides queue up pretty quick. Many head straight back for the Harry Potter stuff, I expect that to be nuts with the new Hagrid ride this year. If you're at the front of the pack you have a good chance at maybe getting on the thing during the party I think this year I'm gonna go right and hit Mummy and the 4D rides first thing, and work my way counter clockwise. I'd like to ride Hulk this year as it's one of the few things I haven't done. I don't try to do everything though, my favorite thing is grabbing a drink and watching the Blues Brothers show. I love those guys.

One thing is there is a hard stop at midnight. No ducking in the queue 5 minutes before close like at Disney and you'll get to ride. They'll cut off Hulk and some other rides when they estimate the people in queue will be riding close to park shutdown.

Pro-Tip - pack light as possible. When it rained they gave us free ponchos... I can't imagine how much that cost Microsoft. Bring a fully charged phone, ID, and your conference badge. Many of the rides you can't bring anything on with you like you can at Disney, so you'll be looking for lockers for your stuff. Backpacks are not allowed.

Also eat early, a lot of the food stations start closing up shop between 9 - 10. If your plan is to ride first thing and eat later, just be prepared for slim pickings.

Also don't bother with the Fast and Furious ride, it is hilariously, and I do mean hilariously terrible and bad.

Last edited:
I've been the past 2 years, and will be back this year. Last year the crowds were much thinner due to the rain. Just about all the food locations are open, don't mess with the buffet stations unless there is actually something there you want, much better meal at one of the restaurants. Some of the locations only have the "primary" item they serve. Such as the Hot Pretzels only have Pretzels and Churros, but not the chocolate chip cookies they normally also sell. But you can find dessert stations around as well with some pretty great treats.

Lines are pretty light in general

Year 1 (left around 10:30): Despicable Me, E.T. Adventure, Hogwarts Express, Men in Black: Alien Attack, Race Through New York Starring Jimmy Fallon, Shrek 4-D, Terminator (Now Closed), The Simpsons Ride
Year 2 (left at closing): Revenge of the Mummy, The Amazing Adventures of Spider-Man, The Cat In The Hat (x2), Fast & Furious: Supercharged, Seuss Trolley Train Ride (x2), Poseidon's Fury, (took a break while friends were the last group to ride Hulk).

The official Universal app will have a special Ignite section so you can see exactly what is open, rides, food, etc. Don't trust the wait time listed for most of them.

There's a DJ and music playing in different areas.

I just want to do all of the HP stuff. I don't care if I don't see anything else. I'm guessing a lot of people have the same plan.

About the bag restrictions. Can women take purses on rides? I have a man purse cross bag. Would I have to put that in a locker too?

Last edited:
Reporting in - my first Ignite (I'm usually at Cisco Live), staying at Cabana Bay. The food choices here didn't look all that appealing but I walked across the street to Strong Water Tavern at Sapphire Falls and it was pretty good (albeit pricy, but everything here is).

I’m here at Ignite. I might not be back for years and I wanted to go after the conference tomorrow. If I only have 4 hours and I haven’t been to Disney in 25 years, which park should I go to and what should I do? I’ll probably be by myself.

I forgot to mention the ticket I bought is not good at Hollywood Studios and is only good after 5pm. Also I used to be a Disneyland AP holder so I’m pretty familiar with attractions that exist at both resorts.

I went to Epcot on Monday night after the conference. I intended to eat and have a few drinks but wound up drinking a margarita then spending the next 2 hours at Rose and Crown talking to locals. I then took A nice staggered stroll to Boardwalk to catch my Uber.
I skipped the new Epcot Forever show but my wife is on her way to FL right now and we kick a long weekend off at Epcot tomorrow.

There's a rumor going around that you can get into Universal at 1:00 p.m. today with your badge. Sounds like rubbish but has anyone else heard this. Just someone heard at the lunch table so having a hard time believing it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!