Official March Trip Reports

Ed, I have the Mickey’s Pants bowl which holds a place of honour in our 5th wheel. DH and I enjoyed the sundae while people watching at MK.

Well that settles it. If Boomer1 and DH have one from MK, then I have to go get one. (Hope the ice cream place stays open late).

Well nine days before we leave. Gonna roll the Aliner out into the driveway and give it its spring cleaning and prep tomorrow.

Booked my campsite for Labor Day weekend in September (6 month reservation window) yesterday. Got a nice spot on the local river at our Corps of Engineers campground looking at the dam-shady but with a view of the southwestern sky. It's a couple spots down from where I was two years ago. Like then, will take the satellite dish and tv to watch the opening weekend of college football. I thought I would be at the Fort for Labor Day since Bama plays Louisville in Orlando to start the season in a neutral site matchup, but given the number of WDW/Fort trips I will have taken by the time I get to September, I will be passing on the opportunity.

Looking forward to posting a Kickin' It photo soon.

Bama Ed

Last edited:
Well that settles it. If Boomer1 and DH have one from MK, then I have to go get one. (Hope the ice cream place stays open late).

Well nine days before we leave. Gonna roll the Aliner out into the driveway and give it its spring cleaning and prep tomorrow.

Booked my campsite for Labor Day weekend in September (6 month reservation window) yesterday. Got a nice spot on the local river at our Corps of Engineers campground looking at the dam-shady but with a view of the southwestern sky. It's a couple spots down from where I was two years ago. Like then, will take the satellite dish and tv to watch the opening weekend of college football. I thought I would be at the Fort for Labor Day since Bama plays Louisville in Orlando to start the season in a neutral site matchup, but given the number of WDW/Fort trips I will have taken by the time I get to September, I will be passing on the opportunity.

Looking forward to posting a Kickin' It photo soon.

Bama Ed

Um, Ed, you can never have too many trips to the Fort.:D

Just cashed in my Disney Visa rewards and had enough to pay for two of my four nights, now I am really hoping to add that fifth night.:woohoo:

Yesterday took us to Animal Kingdom. We love AK, and the flavor for all ages, active and inactive. We LOVED FOP, and had a rider swap, so two additional people were able to ride it again. Yeah me. The Park was not too crowded. Our biggest disappointment was that EE had shut down for repairs. Good news is that after the Rivers of Light, EE had reopened, we walked in three times before it shut down for the night. Kids and niece and nephew loved it. So did Grammy and pops, (us)! We arrived back home to a spectacular moon viewing, GAG, electric water parade, and Fort Wilderness. Today is HS. Then rest a bit before more company arrives. Will enjoy the TFP tonight, as the evenings are back to normal temps.

Just had a "magical" talk with a CM at the reservation dept. The date and site type I needed became available this morning:dance3:, but of course the online reservation system was not working so I had to call. :crazy2: The automated "person" asks so many questions and keeps you tied up so long, I was afraid the site would disappear before I could book it! :sad1: Finally got a live CM who said she would have to make two reservations and then link them....um NO, you don't. :sad2: She didn't want to believe me, but I told her to please just try to modify my existing and add the day. Guess what, it worked! :rolleyes: Funny how some times you know more than they do, but I was patient as I know not all CMs are experienced and some are still learning. Anyways, while I the phone I added the DS who decided he would come up for a few days and also added my visa rewards which paid for two nights. Now all that's left is to patiently wait until the 27th.:goodvibes

Well, the rug has been snatched in a way...

Ole Tiggerdad got drawn into a thread about throwaway campsites and before it was over got himself in trouble. Only advice I give: avoid the conversation on that subject because you're gonna be made to lose every single time. :sad2: So, this means no pics on my TR.:furious:. Everyone knows how I like pics on my TRs, so this will mean less hearing from me on this one. I'm mad about it, but nothing I can do. No feet on the rail pics...no squirrels... Just so everyone knows why my TR will be bland.

Back to the upcoming trip. Got my Disney rewards too. However, my wife and I have always used the points and put them on the gift card and that is what we let our daughters use when they go to the World of Disney store. It's their spending money so to speak.

Now, @bjschil I believe, if I am understanding this correctly you are the current holder of the firepit? I see you are leaving out on the 10th, which is the same day we are due to arrive. My plan is that we are staying at Thousand Trails just outside Disney on the 9th, and planning to roll into the Fort between 6 and 7 AM on the 10th so I should be able to take it off your hands. If not, let me know and we'll work something out to make sure it has a home.

@tltay2005 , the CM I had on the phone when I was adding a day didn't even hesitate to add the day onto an existing reservation. Some of them know how to do it, others don't. Either way, good deal on your part. I did the same thing for my trip booking.

Last edited:
Well, the rug has been snatched in a way...

Ole Tiggerdad got drawn into a thread about throwaway campsites and before it was over got himself in trouble. So, this means no pics on my TR.:furious:. Everyone knows how I like pics on my TRs, so this will mean less hearing from me on this one. Only advice I give: avoid the conversation on that subject because you're gonna be made to lose every single time. :sad2: I'm mad about it, but nothing I can do. No feet on the rail pics...no squirrels... Just so everyone knows why my TR will be bland.

Back to the upcoming trip. Got my Disney rewards too. However, my wife and I have always used the points and put them on the gift card and that is what we let our daughters use when they go to the World of Disney store. It's their spending money so to speak.

Now, @bjschil I believe, if I am understanding this correctly you are the current holder of the firepit? I see you are leaving out on the 10th, which is the same day we are due to arrive. My plan is that we are staying at Thousand Trails just outside Disney on the 9th, and planning to roll into the Fort between 6 and 7 AM on the 10th so I should be able to take it off your hands. If not, let me know and we'll work something out to make sure it has a home.

@tltay2005 , the CM I had on the phone when I was adding a day didn't even hesitate to add the day onto an existing reservation. Some of them know how to do it, others don't. Either way, good deal on your part. I did the same thing for my trip booking.

Oh No! That sucks. If you want you can email me your pictures and I would be glad to post on your behalf.

Terri,

If there is no such thing as too much Fort, I'm at the razor's edge then. It's not the Fort so much (although I am not thrilled to be paying confiscatory spring rates nearly as high as Christmas rates) but WDW in general in support of DD and her Disney College Program. From our Halloween trip (when we saw you and Doug) to mid-May will be six trips to WDW with half of those at the Fort, two on property resorts, and one off property.

I do have a trip planned after Christmas to come down just north of Orlando and camp at Blue Springs SP to see the manatees as they congregate near the spring source during the winter. It's along I4 between Daytona and Orlando - ever stayed there? DD is gaga over manatees and I would like to drive over and visit some places along the East Coast and watch some bowl games. Couldn't get anyone excited to try to go back to the Keys with me this year - but they were up for manatees.

Tiggerdad,

Since I will overlap you somewhat, I offer my services as a photographer to post a few critical moments of your vacation - squirrel selfies, you Kickin' It on the TE porch, your site photo for posterity, etc. We will have to make arrangements.

Well, this morning was the trailer prep day. It is a beautiful clear day with blue sky in the 60s so a good day to do this work. I started with a trip to Lowe's after breakfast to get a longer hose and tire gauge for the air compressor. So I started by rolling the Aliner out of the garage.

20180303_101528.jpg

Had to swap out the old Swish A spare tire cover on the pack and put on the vintage FW tire cover. It's only for trips to/at/from the Fort and the Swish A is for all other trips.

20180303_101507.jpg

I unfolded the beds to set up with sheets and blankets since we will be overnighting on the road before we get to the Fort. Going to try Stephen Foster State Park up near the I75/I10 which will leave us 2.5-3.0 hours to the Fort on arrival morning. I even mopped (Swiffer'd) the tile floor for its VERY FIRST TIME (I've had the trailer four years so it was time). Plus I vacuumed the vintage Fort door mat:

20180303_113817.jpg

One thing I didn't do is give the outside a proper washing. The whole thing is dusty. But clean and ready on the inside.

20180303_113805.jpg

After putting everything away, I ground up some bologna into bologna salad for sandwiches (a childhood favorite) and pulled out my souvenir Gaston mug from MK on the Halloween trip to fill it with some Gaston Grog.

20180303_120746.jpg

I'll load the Suburban with the stuff like folding canopy, chairs, Musket Mickey sign, and Mickey Lamp the day before we leave. Oh, getting the windshield of the Suburban replaced Monday so I need to deactivate the Sunpass transponder on my Sunpass account. I'll pick up a new mini transponder on the way to the Fort before I hit the turnpike and add it to my account so I can roll through the toll booths on the Turnpike and Hwy 429.

Tick tock. Sunday morning next week is coming soon. :hourglass

Bama Ed

Terri,

I do have a trip planned after Christmas to come down just north of Orlando and camp at Blue Springs SP to see the manatees as they congregate near the spring source during the winter. It's along I4 between Daytona and Orlando - ever stayed there? DD is gaga over manatees and I would like to drive over and visit some places along the East Coast and watch some bowl games. Couldn't get anyone excited to try to go back to the Keys with me this year - but they were up for manatees.
Tick tock. Sunday morning next week is coming soon. :hourglass

Bama Ed

Ed, we camped at Blue Springs right after the hurricane. The campground was ok, but the springs and river were a mess. Massive flooding. I am sure everything is back to normal. The campsites are nice with lots of vegetation between sites, so plenty of privacy. You can see my pictures in the Community forum under post pictures of your campsites at other campgrounds.

We split a week during spring break 5 years ago between Blue Springs SP and The Fort. It was March, which is a little late for manatees, but we got lucky and arrived with a bit of cooler weather and got to see a several dozen, including a mother and baby. Not like the 100's you can see in December or January, but very fun. We brought kayaks with us and, while the spring run was closed because of the manatees, we did paddle around the St Johns river. IIRC, the campsites were fairly secluded, surrounded by thick vegetation. DW remembers the bath houses being quite nice. The campground is a pleasant walk, less than 10 minutes I think, through the woods to get to the spring itself.

Got the camper washed yesterday and replaced some of the vinyl trim around the cargo doors and main doors. It had started to show its age and was permanently stained black.

My wife cleaned out the inside this morning while I went in to the hospital to round on patients. Luckily the census is low this weekend so I was back home in time to get the fuel filters and oil changed. Just gotta wash the truck, but with the pollen flying I'll wait until about Wednesday to do that.

I got my wife to cut some yellow vinyl so we could put our name on the Mickey Lamp milkcan base, oh and I added a light sensor on the thing so I wouldn't have to plug it up each evening it'll just come on and go off with the sunset and sunrise.

Ed,

One of the pics, there on the ground outside the door of the camper. Is that the bowl of the Irish Spring I've heard you talk about? Oh, and thanks for the offer of posting pics of my site.

dalir,

Very cool that you have also stayed at Blue Spring so thanks for the advice. DW will be glad to hear about the "thumbs up" for the comfort stations. They rebuilt one a few years ago and the one down by my site about a year or two ago. The park info says manatee season is November-March so you must have caught the tail end of the season. I guess the manatees come all the way up the St John's River from Jacksonville? That's a long way. One review from a camper I read said they walked over to the spring from the campground early in the morning this January before they opened to day trippers (apparently LOTS of folks come) and the ranger was doing the manatee count. There were over 200 that morning. :earseek:

Tiggerdad,

Yep that's the Irish Spring shavings next to my container of DampRid. (I practice what I preach). When the camper is closed up, it's a pretty small internal space and the soap and DR do their job well. Although it might be time to replace the soap shavings - they have been in use for almost two years. It may be time to renew. Might do that when I come home.

Peeking ahead at the weather for the end of this week, it's looking ok (as in dry and not cold) but there is still time for it to change. :laughing:

Bama Ed

PS - and Jimmy/4077, every time I post a picture of my Aliner with the door open, I think back to that photo you posted of yourself standing in the doorway of your parent's Aliner. Keep your horizon level my friend...

Sound like a great trip so far, Barb. Hubby said to tell you he misses you, but I told him that was weird and I would just say hello on his behalf. We are open to anywhere in Wisconsin. Maybe even in your yard. We can come do some chores! Grace is consistently asking for a dairy cow. We thought about Door County a while back. Will have to research more on your recommendations. Thank you. We will head up to Starved Rock in about a month for our first camping of the year.

Enjoy your new company coming in. Glad AK was a good day. That park has went from my least favorite to my most favorite. Happy Camping!

Bama Ed

PS - and Jimmy/4077, every time I post a picture of my Aliner with the door open, I think back to that photo you posted of yourself standing in the doorway of your parent's Aliner. Keep your horizon level my friend...

There are other Aliner pics in my parents albums from Fort De Soto and such that would be great “picture of your site non-disney” stuff on here...i’ll have to look when I get to their place in April... (I know we took it to Ft Wilderness, but don’t think any pics....)

Tiggerdad... why can't you post pictures??

I was stupid and went off reading posts in other areas of the Dis and found a topic that I have a special place of dislike for and made comments that got me in trouble.

I broke my own personal rule of never posting elsewhere on the Dis.

I'm moving on with my trip, probably post seldom because my reports are almost always mostly pics. We'll be overlapping if I recall correctly so we'll have to be sure to meet up and say hello.

yeah, I know I sometimes say things I should not... I wasn't sure if DIS said you could not post pic's... I will post where we are when we get there and when Meachums sets up the RV... so excited our first stay at FW on Saturday! Ready for some warm weather. hope to meet up sometime... Have a great day!

I'll copy/paste a little details from what I posted on the Resorts board. I wanted to keep things here about Fort trips.

I will say ASSp was nice, but it wasn't the Fort. There is just something in the air at the Fort that the other resorts can't replicate. I'm already trying to figure out a way to get back to the Fort. this year. I'm considering adding some days at the beginning of my rescheduled Gulf State Park trip in September. I figured heading to the Fort for a few days before coming back up to GSP would make for a nice trip. Breaks up the 17 hour drive home too. 7 hours from the Fort to GSP. A week stay at the beach and then the 12 hours home.

We just returned from our week at ASSp. This was our first stay in a Value. We are almost always at Fort Wilderness in our camper, but the AP discounts this time of year were too good to pass up.

Overall, we had a great week. Impressions of ASSp were all positive except for the Full size beds. We were obviously there during a slower period. Hardly saw anyone on our floor all week. We booked a preferred room and requested Surf Board on an upper floor. We got 6312. Next to last room on the back side of building 6 (surf board). Almost the furthest preferred room away from the food court and bus stop, but plenty quiet. The place was typical Disney clean and kept up. We opted out of Mousekeeping and got the $70 eCard. That came in handy paying for half of my meal at the Yachtsman (incredible filet, btw). I know the Values are getting upgrades over the next year. The queen beds will be greatly appreciated, but will probably take up even more of the room. Not sure how many square feet the rooms are, but I think my 5th wheel has more (412) and it has a kitchen.

I loved the "larger than life" themeing. I know some think its tacky, dated or just too silly, but it felt like "Disney" to me. The food court was incredible. Typical Disney prices, but huge portions. Too much most meals. We spent most of our days in the parks or out touring WDW (Boardwalk, other resorts, DS). The Grandstand pool bar was nice after a day out. We never got in the pools. They closed at 8pm each night and we generally didn't get back to the resort until 9 or 10.

Buses were pretty good. We never shared once with the other Values and never waited more than 10-15 minutes. The bus drivers took some odd routes to get to and from the parks some days, but that isn't an issue with the resort.

I still prefer the quiet, relaxed, friendly atmosphere of the Fort, but if there is another huge AP discount, I wouldn't mind another stay at ASSp. Flying in instead of towing 1000 miles one way let's me add 2 extra days to a trip and 2 extra days at WDW is always a bonus.

j

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!