*** Official January 2020 Thread ***

Long time lurker....................first time poster..............

I am an OCD Dad of 2 kids, daughter now 11 and son now 13.

Last trip to WD was Nov 2014 - I did all the planning so have experience with FPs, ADRs etc. Did a previous trip when the kids where even smaller in April.

Have always stayed offsite and never done Hopper tickets as kids where young.

First time planning with "set" days for tickets, and the shorter expiry windows. Have also never used Park Hopper tickets.

Looking at one more trip early January 2020 and also want to do Universal.

10 days (may add one to make it 11) with Hopper tickets, may add water park option (only Blizzard beach open) if I extend to 11 days, but not sure on the weather that time of year.

SGE will obviously be all new to us, as is Pandora. Kids are big Star Wars fans so will certainly want to spend lots of time there.

We are a rope drop family and schedule is designed to avoid EMH as we stay off site.

Here is the skeleton of the plan and appreciate feedback:

Arrive Jan 4th - land 9:30 am.
Stay at Universal Royal Pacific 2 nights Jan 4 and 5th - gets us Unlimted Express passes for the 4th, 5th and 6th. Likely buy 4 day park to park ticket
Campsite reservation Jan 6th at Fort Wilderness - gets us Magic Band and 60 day rolling FP access. (I know it is frowned upon but technically "legal")
Jan 7th - AK
Jan 8th - HS
Jan 9th - MK/EP - monorail
Jan 10th - Use last day at Universal before tickets expire
Jan 11th - HS/AK at night
Jan 12th - EP /MK - monorail
Jan 13th - HS + kid's choice
Jan 14th - early flight

In the past I needed difficult to get "character" ADRs. Have previously done CRT - dinner, Akershus - lunch etc.

Given the kids' ages now, I don't see this as a huge priority - unless I am missing something??? (already inside 180 day window).

ADRs that I do have "just in case":

BOG lunches on our MK days.
Yak and Yeti Lunch
Yak and Yeti Dinner (one will be cancelled)
SciFi Lunch

ADRs seem pretty easy to get at this point - unless there ones I am not aware of and may regret not having?

Appreciate any feedback.

Cheers.

So........the kid’s hockey schedule appears to be throwing a wrench into the above plan!!!

Looks like I have to consider moving the trip earlier in the month of Jan.

Now looking at Jan 1st as a outbound flight. Early arrival and then do/stay at Universal Jan 1-3rd.

Jan 4th would be first Disney day or visit Typhoon Lagoon on its last open day.

Worried how crazy things will be until the end of that week?

We are a rope drop family and we COULD make use of the early EMH hour at HS on Jan 5th - but not sure if it will just cause the park to be that much busier? Perhaps better to rope drop it a couple other mornings?

We'll be visiting 1/24-1/29 and staying at Pop. My daughter's dance studio will be performing on the Marketplace Stage at the Springs on 1/27. Come enjoy the show & help cheer them on! :)

We have a trip booked from Jan 11-19 for 11 people, including 4 kids and 3 grandparents. ADRs are secured and we got what we wanted, but I’m a bit nervous about getting FP+ for such a large group. But I know we have time to worry about that! Where do you all watch for announcements about EMM/DAH? Do we think they will start up Toy Story Land EMM after the extra extra magic hours are done? I wonder if they will have a Star Wars version.

When do you think we will get some Jan after hours/early morning info?

We are planning a short 3 night trip with one night club level and only one park day. Park tickets have really gotten so expensive, hoping to save a bit with an event ticket instead.

Last edited:

When do you think we will get some Jan after hours/early morning info?

We are planning a short 3 night trip with one night club level and only one park day. Park tickets have really gotten so expensive, hoping to save a bit with an event ticket instead.

Unfortunately I am guessing we won't have a handle on that until Disney sees how SWGE is doing. With Rise of the Resistance opening later in the year I'm guessing they won't set too many dates until they see how crowds are doing.

I hope that I'm wrong and they come out sooner for planning purposes, but I'm doubtful haha.

Unfortunately I am guessing we won't have a handle on that until Disney sees how SWGE is doing. With Rise of the Resistance opening later in the year I'm guessing they won't set too many dates until they see how crowds are doing.

I hope that I'm wrong and they come out sooner for planning purposes, but I'm doubtful haha.

Yes I agree, they will probably wait until SWGE and D23, but hoping we know some plans after D23. An AH at MK will help with my planning! Since I have a park hopper, I could cut one of my MK days and use fp for the early park instead.

Yes I agree, they will probably wait until SWGE and D23, but hoping we know some plans after D23. An AH at MK will help with my planning! Since I have a park hopper, I could cut one of my MK days and use fp for the early park instead.

We haven't decided yet if we are doing an AH but we love being in the parks at night so just hoping for the opportunity and hours that are later than 8:00 :rolleyes2 . I know it is "winter" but still haha.

Worried how crazy things will be until the end of that week?
Don't worry. We've often gone at that crazy busy time (Christmas to New Year'sDay) and it's fine as long as (1) you're there 1 hour before park opening and (2) you avoid extra magic parks

Just made reservations for DS (13) and I at All Star Sports for January 25-February 1. Room only as I will have an AP. Hoping for an AP discount on the room, and may switch to POP if that happens. Can't wait!

Last edited:
Booked for Jan. 4-10 with DD at FQ; went similar dates 2019 with three generations. This trip is her "good girl" prize for helping with her sister's little ones on a Princess-palooza of a trip. DD is a Star Wars fan, so we are juggling the uncertainty of crowds; whether there will be FPs or not; just how early is EEMH arrival, and whether the Epcot new space-theme restaurant will be open. DD, a physics major, loves all things space.

We are going in Jan also and eargerly waiting for the new space restaurant too. Hope we get some notice of when bookings can be taken 😀

Hi!
My parents will be taking my oldest daughter who will be 6 and my brothers oldest who will be 9 January 19th through the 25th! I have been helping them plan their whole week and I was able to get all their ADR's except for BOG on the 20th for breakfast. I was hoping to get them an 8:00 a.m. reservation. I checked right at 6:00 a.m. on that 180 day mark and it already showed that the entire restaurant is filled up for the entire day! Can this really be true? I have mouse dining set up for alerts but should I come up with another game plan for them!? I just have such a hard time believing that the entire restaurants is filled for the entire day at the 180 days out. I had no trouble getting any other Reservations

Hi!
My parents will be taking my oldest daughter who will be 6 and my brothers oldest who will be 9 January 19th through the 25th! I have been helping them plan their whole week and I was able to get all their ADR's except for BOG on the 20th for breakfast. I was hoping to get them an 8:00 a.m. reservation. I checked right at 6:00 a.m. on that 180 day mark and it already showed that the entire restaurant is filled up for the entire day! Can this really be true? I have mouse dining set up for alerts but should I come up with another game plan for them!? I just have such a hard time believing that the entire restaurants is filled for the entire day at the 180 days out. I had no trouble getting any other Reservations

Because you are trying at the beginning of your dates and it’s popular. People did their 180+10 too. Can you look for other dates later in the trip?
Or just keep trying right up to that day. People cancel all the time.

Two more things checked off!

KTTK tour 8:00am Jan 14
ADR for Oga’s Cantina Jan 16.
Looking forward to both experiences.

Now just waiting to see if the space restaurant opens up and make our FP+

Last edited:
Hello! We are booked Jan 28-Feb 4 at POFQ. I did my ADRs a week ago and yesterday snagged Oga's and Droid Depot. I must say I'm pretty happy to have a few months between SWGE opening and our visit to gets bugs worked out and he is r feedback. Now just waiting to tweak times on some ADRs and hopefully next month be able to apply a discount to our reservation. :)

Hello, all! Hope everyone who want an ADR for Oga's Cantina got one today, as lots of new slots opened this morning.
Anyway, in case anyone is interested, my party of six is looking for another group interested in sharing a VIP Tour Jan 5, 6, or 7. The rate is $425/hour for a minimum of seven hours, or $2975 (plus tip for the plaid), and up to 10 people can go. So we can accommodate up to four more people. SWGE is definitely a part of the day we would plan! Smuggler's Run officially has been added to rides you can request, and I'm hopeful that RotR will be added, too.
PM me if interested!

Hi!

BoG ADRs fill up immediately, but there's lots of cancellations over time, so you should be able to get it. Remember they can enter at 8 if their ADR is any time between 8 and 8:45. Also, I have checked many times just out of curiousity for a BoG ADR for the next day and most of the time there is something available. People cancel while they are on their trip and they decide to switch their plans around. You should be able to get what you are looking for.

So I tried to get an Oga's Cantina ADR on Wednesday, but nothing was available for any of our days. Checked again yesterday and there were lots to choose from, so YAY!

So I tried to get an Oga's Cantina ADR on Wednesday, but nothing was available for any of our days. Checked again yesterday and there were lots to choose from, so YAY!

A lot of that is due to people thinking it’s a restaurant. They canceled their ADR’s when they found out it’s a lounge.

Because you are trying at the beginning of your dates and it’s popular. People did their 180+10 too. Can you look for other dates later in the trip?
Or just keep trying right up to that day. People cancel all the time.
Thank you. I did end up getting it for them later in the week as well but still keeping my fingers crossed for something to open up on the 20th. I think it's going to be a very busy day and I wanted to help them avoid as many crowds as I could by getting them in PPO

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!