*** Official January 2020 Thread ***

My GF and I are all booked for January 4th-11th! We went to Disney last year (our first time since we were kids), but only for a couple days.

We'll be staying at the Wilderness Lodge, two days in MK, two days in Epcot, and 1 day each in HS and AK. Hopefully the Christmas decorations are still up.

Old news now, but anyone excited that Rise of the Resistance will be open when we are there? Or scared?

I’m happy. I think, though, that every day may need to be a HS morning, to experience both SWGE rides, Oga’s, possibly Savi’s, plus our other fav HS Tier 1 rides (and star tours!). Given it’s a shorter trip, I’m even pondering a VIP tour to be able to get to all the HS rides, if SWGE is included. Maybe there will be some kind of EMM while we’re there.

Old news now, but anyone excited that Rise of the Resistance will be open when we are there? Or scared?

I’m happy. I think, though, that every day may need to be a HS morning, to experience both SWGE rides, Oga’s, possibly Savi’s, plus our other fav HS Tier 1 rides (and star tours!). Given it’s a shorter trip, I’m even pondering a VIP tour to be able to get to all the HS rides, if SWGE is included. Maybe there will be some kind of EMM while we’re there.

VERY excited for Rise of the Resistance. We will probably use our FP for Slinky Dog, stand in line for Smuggler's Run & Rise of the Resistance, and spend the other half of the day relaxing in Disney Springs.

Hi! My family is doing our first trip since Dec 2016, when my youngest was still free as a 2.5yo. So Pandora and TSL and SW:GE are all new to us. First week of January we're doing a split stay at AoA and BWI CL after ringing in the New Year at Legoland. All firsts for us.
I yelled when I read that RotR will open in December, as it means I don't have to delay this trip. Very excited, but worried, too, about too few park hours for too big of crowds at DHS. Hopeful that there will be both EMMs again, and wishful that they'll re-do the Star Wars Tour to include SW:GE. I'm interested in the current tour for guaranteed Padawan spots for Jedi Training. Lots of uncertainty/possibility in waiting for announcements (that might not come).

Hello! Thought we were going to skip this January but who am I kidding! Just booked Club level at Grand Destino Tower, I can’t believe how affordable it is compared to CL at other resorts.

Now we wait for Festival of the Arts info! I really enjoyed the first two. It’s my favorite festival, excited to go back!

Excited rise of the resistance will be open, we think DHS will only be one day. No park hopping, so plan on doing SWGE and see what else we can get on.
My 180 was yesterday and got Story Book!! I’m a Snow White girl so this is my choice. DD picked spice road, rest of meals will be CS or snacking around the world.

Now just waiting to see rest of our park hours come upon each day to schedule KTTK tour and plan park days.

So, anyone else struggling to plan with the uncertainty of Park Hours, the uncertainty of what a fully open SWGE will bring, and the uncertainty of where free EMH will be replaced with DAH or EMM? :surfweb: OH, and when Festival of the Arts is!? That is the primary reason for booking in January!

Now, don't get me wrong, I am pumped no matter what and we really don't do excessive planning, but I hate not knowing so much lol. I am also SUPER pumped to experience a fully functioning SWGE and I am still holding out hope that we will be able to ride at least one of the attractions.

Anyway, so close to our ADR mark and ready for planning to truly kick in :cheer2:

Long time lurker....................first time poster..............

I am an OCD Dad of 2 kids, daughter now 11 and son now 13.

Last trip to WD was Nov 2014 - I did all the planning so have experience with FPs, ADRs etc. Did a previous trip when the kids where even smaller in April.

Have always stayed offsite and never done Hopper tickets as kids where young.

First time planning with "set" days for tickets, and the shorter expiry windows. Have also never used Park Hopper tickets.

Looking at one more trip early January 2020 and also want to do Universal.

10 days (may add one to make it 11) with Hopper tickets, may add water park option (only Blizzard beach open) if I extend to 11 days, but not sure on the weather that time of year.

SGE will obviously be all new to us, as is Pandora. Kids are big Star Wars fans so will certainly want to spend lots of time there.

We are a rope drop family and schedule is designed to avoid EMH as we stay off site.

Here is the skeleton of the plan and appreciate feedback:

Arrive Jan 4th - land 9:30 am.
Stay at Universal Royal Pacific 2 nights Jan 4 and 5th - gets us Unlimted Express passes for the 4th, 5th and 6th. Likely buy 4 day park to park ticket
Campsite reservation Jan 6th at Fort Wilderness - gets us Magic Band and 60 day rolling FP access. (I know it is frowned upon but technically "legal")
Jan 7th - AK
Jan 8th - HS
Jan 9th - MK/EP - monorail
Jan 10th - Use last day at Universal before tickets expire
Jan 11th - HS/AK at night
Jan 12th - EP /MK - monorail
Jan 13th - HS + kid's choice
Jan 14th - early flight

In the past I needed difficult to get "character" ADRs. Have previously done CRT - dinner, Akershus - lunch etc.

Given the kids' ages now, I don't see this as a huge priority - unless I am missing something??? (already inside 180 day window).

ADRs that I do have "just in case":

BOG lunches on our MK days.
Yak and Yeti Lunch
Yak and Yeti Dinner (one will be cancelled)
SciFi Lunch

ADRs seem pretty easy to get at this point - unless there ones I am not aware of and may regret not having?

Appreciate any feedback.

Cheers.

:welcome:to posting on TPAS!

gets us Magic Band and 60 day rolling FP access.
The rolling 60 no longer exists. You’ll have the 60 for check-in through checkout date and then 30 for each of your other park dates.

Also, moving you to the January 2020 Happy Dance thread where you can discuss dining there. 😊

So, anyone else struggling to plan with the uncertainty of Park Hours, the uncertainty of what a fully open SWGE will bring, and the uncertainty of where free EMH will be replaced with DAH or EMM? :surfweb: OH, and when Festival of the Arts is!? That is the primary reason for booking in January!

Now, don't get me wrong, I am pumped no matter what and we really don't do excessive planning, but I hate not knowing so much lol. I am also SUPER pumped to experience a fully functioning SWGE and I am still holding out hope that we will be able to ride at least one of the attractions.

Anyway, so close to our ADR mark and ready for planning to truly kick in :cheer2:
Yes I am really hoping for a mk DAH which would change are entire touring plan depending when it is., It looks like the week we are going is going to pretty crowded so an after hour event would be awesome..

Long time lurker....................first time poster..............

I am an OCD Dad of 2 kids, daughter now 11 and son now 13.

Last trip to WD was Nov 2014 - I did all the planning so have experience with FPs, ADRs etc. Did a previous trip when the kids where even smaller in April.

Have always stayed offsite and never done Hopper tickets as kids where young.

First time planning with "set" days for tickets, and the shorter expiry windows. Have also never used Park Hopper tickets.

Looking at one more trip early January 2020 and also want to do Universal.

10 days (may add one to make it 11) with Hopper tickets, may add water park option (only Blizzard beach open) if I extend to 11 days, but not sure on the weather that time of year.

SGE will obviously be all new to us, as is Pandora. Kids are big Star Wars fans so will certainly want to spend lots of time there.

We are a rope drop family and schedule is designed to avoid EMH as we stay off site.

Here is the skeleton of the plan and appreciate feedback:

Arrive Jan 4th - land 9:30 am.
Stay at Universal Royal Pacific 2 nights Jan 4 and 5th - gets us Unlimted Express passes for the 4th, 5th and 6th. Likely buy 4 day park to park ticket
Campsite reservation Jan 6th at Fort Wilderness - gets us Magic Band and 60 day rolling FP access. (I know it is frowned upon but technically "legal")
Jan 7th - AK
Jan 8th - HS
Jan 9th - MK/EP - monorail
Jan 10th - Use last day at Universal before tickets expire
Jan 11th - HS/AK at night
Jan 12th - EP /MK - monorail
Jan 13th - HS + kid's choice
Jan 14th - early flight

In the past I needed difficult to get "character" ADRs. Have previously done CRT - dinner, Akershus - lunch etc.

Given the kids' ages now, I don't see this as a huge priority - unless I am missing something??? (already inside 180 day window).

ADRs that I do have "just in case":

BOG lunches on our MK days.
Yak and Yeti Lunch
Yak and Yeti Dinner (one will be cancelled)
SciFi Lunch

ADRs seem pretty easy to get at this point - unless there ones I am not aware of and may regret not having?

Appreciate any feedback.

Cheers.

Welcome, keep posting! :)

I agree with no need for crt or akershus.

I would also think only one bog lunch, not two.

I’d keep it on the day you start at Mk. This would feel less rushed trying to get there from EP.

Definitely keep SciFi. Your kids will love it. I loved it, too. Don’t expect to have much conversation during this meal, which I loved, as it allowed for a quieter, darker, relaxing break from the outside.

I can’t speak to Yak and Yeti, as I’ve only done the outside CS.

I think Sleepy Hollow CS in MK is lovely for a snack, if the Line isn’t too long- the Nutella fruit waffle is something my kids and I look forward to each visit.

Definitely heed Hiro’s comment re: no more rolling 60 days, that will factor into your fastpass selections.

You will love Universal!

With EP, still try to get to Kong early-ish, the lines get long later in the day, even EP. But I love the ride, and it has, in my opinion, great re-ride value.

I’d suggest skipping the fast and furious ride, unless you are a huge fan. The ride is a complete let down. The queue is probably fun for a fan, but it was very long, even with EP.

If you or your kids ride the rafting and/or log ride, my strong suggestion is to wear flip flops on that ride, not sneakers. If you don’t want to walk around wet, also a poncho perhaps. Put Everything in ziplocks in the middle on the raft ride, too. 80% chance of complete soaking on the raft ride, maybe less on the log ride. Raft ride is super fun though, so pack the flip flops and stuff everything (including your wallet!) in a ziplock in the middle. Now, the Jurassic ride, that’s really hit or miss on wet. I’d still suggest flip flops, but I went on with sneakers, took them off and put them under my shirt.

This may sound overkill, re: the rafting ride, but we learned our lesson the first time after having soaked sneakers.

Both my kids love both coasters. As an adult, I found Hulk amazing, and smooth. Rip ride rocket immediately gave me a headache, it’s super jostle-y, and I could only focus on how to try to hold myself still for the hurting to stop.

We really enjoyed sitting outside at Margaritaville at citywalk, very close to the walkway to RPR, it was nice to have a lemonade and appetizer after a busy morning, people watching and resting our feet.

We also split a frozen butter beer in one of the lands. Don’t miss Knockturn alley in Diagon!

After reading your post now I’m sweating a little, ha!

I would welcome a DAH. I think we’ll be spending two or three mornings at SWGE, so it would be nice to “make up” for losing morning EMH at other parks with a DAH at one of them.

I’m also excited about Festival of the Arts, woohoo!

Excited rise of the resistance will be open, we think DHS will only be one day. No park hopping, so plan on doing SWGE and see what else we can get on.
My 180 was yesterday and got Story Book!! I’m a Snow White girl so this is my choice. DD picked spice road, rest of meals will be CS or snacking around the world.

Now just waiting to see rest of our park hours come upon each day to schedule KTTK tour and plan park days.

I really enjoyed the Storybook dining!

Hello! Thought we were going to skip this January but who am I kidding! Just booked Club level at Grand Destino Tower, I can’t believe how affordable it is compared to CL at other resorts.

Now we wait for Festival of the Arts info! I really enjoyed the first two. It’s my favorite festival, excited to go back!

We’ll also be at Grand Destino. What do you like about Festival of the Arts most? We’ve not been before.

Hi! My family is doing our first trip since Dec 2016, when my youngest was still free as a 2.5yo. So Pandora and TSL and SW:GE are all new to us. First week of January we're doing a split stay at AoA and BWI CL after ringing in the New Year at Legoland. All firsts for us.
I yelled when I read that RotR will open in December, as it means I don't have to delay this trip. Very excited, but worried, too, about too few park hours for too big of crowds at DHS. Hopeful that there will be both EMMs again, and wishful that they'll re-do the Star Wars Tour to include SW:GE. I'm interested in the current tour for guaranteed Padawan spots for Jedi Training. Lots of uncertainty/possibility in waiting for announcements (that might not come).

Sounds like a great trip you are planning! I’m also curious as to whether the tours will include the rides at SWGE.

Yes I am really hoping for a mk DAH which would change are entire touring plan depending when it is., It looks like the week we are going is going to pretty crowded so an after hour event would be awesome..

It will kinda of determine our plans as well. I'm not sure if we are gonna spend the money on DAH but I would still like to know how to plan our nights so we aren't changing everything around at the last minute.

After reading your post now I’m sweating a little, ha!

I would welcome a DAH. I think we’ll be spending two or three mornings at SWGE, so it would be nice to “make up” for losing morning EMH at other parks with a DAH at one of them.

I’m also excited about Festival of the Arts, woohoo!

Oh man, sorry about that haha! For us, SWGE is gonna be completely dependent on how crowds are rolling lol. I really want to see the land but I'm not gonna deal with crowds lol.

I'm hoping D23 will bring the dates so that activities and food and whatnot can start trickling in after that.

Yes!

I booked too early this past Jan and we missed the festival :(
Also really hoping for some kind of DAH as we are only getting a one day park ticket.

I really enjoyed the Storybook dining!

We’ll also be at Grand Destino. What do you like about Festival of the Arts most? We’ve not been before.

Well I love art so that’s a main reason. But they have a huge paint by numbers mural that’s fun to participate in, the free animation classes and plenty of other fun workshops offered.

There’s usually the nightly Broadway performances over on the stage in the America pavilion.

And of course all the food and drinks.

The weather definitely helps with being able to enjoy it all!

Mmmyup, all of this, though I'm not stressing about Festival of the Arts. I'm assuming it'll be on while I'm there, but it's not my big reason for choosing January and I'll survive if I miss it. SWGE, though? Nervous as heck about that, and watching watching watching for any news of EMM or DAH, whether at DHS or one of the other parks. I put enough in my budget to cover a DAH or two, so when/if we get dates for those I'll make final decisions on whether I'm actually booking it.

I'd really like to ride both attractions at SWGE and build a droid, but I worry that three goals will be too many when dealing with a major land so recently opened. Currently I'm setting aside two weekdays in my (extremely) preliminary schedule for rope dropping DHS, with the assumption that I'll do as much as I can in the morning and then park hop or take a resort break in the early afternoon. The other day that's looking like an option for a DHS rope drop is my first park day, but that's a Saturday...I know better. I really do know better than to hit a shiny new land on a Saturday...but I'm probably going to do it anyway because I'm just so excited to see it. I'll have park hoppers and the flexibility of solo touring, so I figure that worst that ever happens is I decide it's not worth it that day and go somewhere else.

Not sure about anyone else... but I'm counting down until October, because that will be the 30 day countdown for Fastpasses, at which point the remaining countdown will go by extremely quickly. :rotfl2::earboy2:

Tomorrow is my ADR day but I don’t even have my flights/exact dates yet. Southwest is making my planning so hard!
This is the first trip in a while that I won’t be waking up early with a list of reservations...feels weird!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts