Official Dopey 2019 Thread

Any advice or suggestions on what everyone does to maintain their running base through the Spring and Summer before ramping up to Dopey training? I've run a handful of halfs and the WDW marathon in 2016, but I've always taken off running for the most part after I finish my races (usually end of Feb) and then start picking up in the Fall again.

Any advice or suggestions on what everyone does to maintain their running base through the Spring and Summer before ramping up to Dopey training? I've run a handful of halfs and the WDW marathon in 2016, but I've always taken off running for the most part after I finish my races (usually end of Feb) and then start picking up in the Fall again.
Training for Dopey isn't much different from training for a full marathon. I used Hal Higdon's plan for Dopey and that worked well for me. For Spring and Summer if I don't have a race planned I just do basic maintenance runs. Maybe 3-4 miles a day during the week and something a little longer on the weekend.

lol someone start a 2020 one :D.. My brother really doesnt like it that I have 2 Dopey medals, so he is swearing he is going to do it then. He will be 66 I think.. We shall see, but if he really does it, I might have to do it again lol..

Honestly, I am ready to start a 2020 Dopey thread as well for planning purposes. My wife and I ran our first WDW 26.2 this year (2018) and then went on the cruise with several hundred that had just completed the Dopey and we both not only wanted a do over on our marathon but are now eagerly waiting a chance to complete our first Dopey. We live in Colorado, so making the trip two years in a row is not really financially responsible for us but two years ahead would be a good plan. We did learn that spending any time in the parks between Thursday is just not a good choice if you want to do well on race day so when we return, we won't be visiting the parks until Monday, if at all. We will just be spending time at the hotel in resting and hot tubbing.

Just to confirm, based on the 2019 dates, 2020 will be Jan 9-12th?

Honestly, I am ready to start a 2020 Dopey thread as well for planning purposes. My wife and I ran our first WDW 26.2 this year (2018) and then went on the cruise with several hundred that had just completed the Dopey and we both not only wanted a do over on our marathon but are now eagerly waiting a chance to complete our first Dopey. We live in Colorado, so making the trip two years in a row is not really financially responsible for us but two years ahead would be a good plan. We did learn that spending any time in the parks between Thursday is just not a good choice if you want to do well on race day so when we return, we won't be visiting the parks until Monday, if at all. We will just be spending time at the hotel in resting and hot tubbing.

Just to confirm, based on the 2019 dates, 2020 will be Jan 9-12th?
Those would be the most likely dates yes. Expo would start Jan. 8th and marathon would be on the 12th.

@Shane Keough - it was the cruise right after marathon weekend last year that made me want to do Dopey. Like you, I had just run my first marathon, and meeting so many people that had just completed it sealed the deal for me too!

For me, as much as I want to be back for at least Goofy, not sure it’s going’s to happen. Our family has a trip planned to go in December so it’s going to be tough to turn around and come back a month later. Right now, put my status as a “maybe”‍♀️

I'm contemplating signing up for 2019 Dopey as well. It would be my first full. I've done 5 halfs, and have plans for at least 3 more this year. I'm glad I'm not the only one who is figuring "go big or go home" in jumping to Dopey rather than starting with just the full. As PPs also noted, I'm afraid that if I do the full only and hate it or can't hack it, I won't ever come back for a Dopey.

For many years, I've been perfectly content to not run a full. I believe that with proper training, I could run a full. I'm just not sure I actually want to run a full. All that said, the hiatus of runDisney on the west coast and the early April timing of 2019 Dark Side has me actually giving more thought to the full. And if I'm going to do the full, I may as well run Goofy or maybe even Dopey. I think Walt Disney World is the only place I will ever run a full if it does indeed happen.

In a sense, it all depends on how full Dark Side training goes. I'm currently battling knee pain, but that appears to be slowly, but surely getting better. If I can get through Dark Side with no further trouble, then it just might happen.

I am about 80% sure I will be there in 2019.

Any suggestions for strength training plan?

Any suggestions for strength training plan?

I use the Iron Strength Workout for Runners. I can't keep up with the number of sets/reps that they do in the videos, so I just do the maximum I can accomplish in the time window allocated.

I'm contemplating signing up for 2019 Dopey as well. It would be my first full. I've done 5 halfs, and have plans for at least 3 more this year. I'm glad I'm not the only one who is figuring "go big or go home" in jumping to Dopey rather than starting with just the full. As PPs also noted, I'm afraid that if I do the full only and hate it or can't hack it, I won't ever come back for a Dopey.

I ran my first full at Disney in 2014. When I finished I said never again. A year later I did Goofy. This year I did Dopey, which represented my fifth full marathon. So even if you end up hating your first marathon, there is a good chance you will change your mind.

If you are running that many halfs already and can make the time commitment to train for a full, then you should be able to complete the Dopey. To be honest, I really did not change anything up at all when training for Dopey 2018. I pretty much used the same plan I used in 2016 when I had trained for my last marathon. The whole key to Dopey is taking it easy those first three races, so that you have plenty left for Sunday.

I'm also considering it for 2019. Will be doing my first challenge this weekend so we'll see how I feel afterwards. Right now I'm about 75% sure I'm in.

You know how they say never say never. Well when I walked my first Disney race I knew I would never add a marathon. So between DH dangling this as insentive, since Light Side isn’t at the moment, and reading here, I am in for 2019. I know I can walk the first 3 days no problem it is the long terrifying marathon that makes me pause. But hey 56 is a good age for my first marathon. Plus if I start training now I should be able to do it. Now I am antsy about registration :) besides all of you runners need someone slow coming along behind:flower1:

So the plan was for DH and I to do Goofy 2019 then Dopey 2020 but he just found out that he’s not deploying this upcoming year (and a strong possibility for the next) so he wants to do Dopey 2019 instead. So do I also spring for 2019? I know I will be super jealous of his bling...

You know how they say never say never. Well when I walked my first Disney race I knew I would never add a marathon. So between DH dangling this as insentive, since Light Side isn’t at the moment, and reading here, I am in for 2019. I know I can walk the first 3 days no problem it is the long terrifying marathon that makes me pause. But hey 56 is a good age for my first marathon. Plus if I start training now I should be able to do it. Now I am antsy about registration :) besides all of you runners need someone slow coming along behind:flower1:

I’m in the exact same position as you. I have walked 6 runDisney half marathons but never a full and am contemplating Dopey (or maybe Goofy to avoid 4 days of getting up so early) in 2019. Not worried about the 5k, 10K, half, but have no idea if I can walk a full. I’ll definitely need to slow down. I walked Princess at a 13’30” pace. Figure I should go much closer to 15’ miles for all of the races if I’m going to try to do Dopey.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!