Official Disney Cake Chatter - Part V!

Hi, wonderful discussions on the topic. I really like that discuss the very interesting topic. please sharing more images of cakes.

Here's one I posted a few years back. It's not Lion King-themed, but it does have fondant animals...

Size: 6-inch cake

Flavors: Red velvet cake with cream cheese mousse filling, not the cream cheese buttercream frosting I'd requested.

Price: Quoted $65 ($35 for 6-inch cake + $30 for fondant decorations), charged $23 :confused3

Inspiration Photos:
I found this cake online and asked to have a modified version as a 6-inch. I found a separate cake to get inspiration for the hippo on top...

HaywardJikoCakeIdea.jpg

How It Turned Out:
The cake looked a lot better than I was expecting, considering it seemed to have been hastily assembled by assistants while the pastry chef was out. They didn't use a contrasting color for the leaves like in the original photo, and the pond was a little rough around the edges (literally!), but the hippo was adorable and really well-made. It was a surprise for my husband, and he thought it looked great!

(Sorry these photos aren't better—new camera!)

ltuntitledgt208.jpg

ltuntitledgt212.jpg

ltuntitledgt204.jpg

ltuntitledgt207.jpg

ltuntitledgt203.jpg

ltuntitledgt209.jpg

ltuntitledgt215.jpg

The only thing I was really disappointed about was the use of cream cheese mousse filling instead of cream cheese buttercream frosting, which I had made a big deal about twice: once when I placed the order, and again when they confirmed it. I think they just assumed I meant "filling" instead of "frosting" because it's what they use in most of their cakes, but I really really dislike Disney's cream cheese mousse filling, which is way too cheesecake-y for my taste.

For some reason, when we got the bill for dinner, the cake was listed at only $23, maybe because they felt bad about losing the order or because it had been created by assistants instead of the pastry chef...?

At any rate, I would still order a fancy cake at AKL again now that they seem to have progressed beyond the supermarket level of cake-making—I guess I just need to be even MORE specific in the future! :rotfl:
The cake with the "X" is a lot more like I was looking for. Thanks!

One more question: What exact location/number did you call, as I have never done this before. Did you call Animal Kingdom Lodge? Or Private Dining there? Or some other location? I'm a little confused on this cake thread.

The cake with the "X" is a lot more like I was looking for. Thanks!

One more question: What exact location/number did you call, as I have never done this before. Did you call Animal Kingdom Lodge? Or Private Dining there? Or some other location? I'm a little confused on this cake thread.

So, all the details you need are in Posts 1 and 2, including the direct phone numbers for Private Dining at resorts that provide them. Cake orders are placed through Private Dining, not the main resort phone number (though you can always call that number and ask to be transferred to Private Dining).

Here's the cake pic without the X for you!

Safari%20Cake%202%20Tier_zpsvwle6uhg.jpg

My Woody themed birthday cake was ordered from the Contemporary for a dinner at California Grill.

I e-mailed with Donald and Brian about the design, and placed the order about 3 weeks prior to the actual reservation. I worked with George over the phone who I had previously worked with on a cake for my mom.

The cake itself was a 6-inch vanilla cake with raspberry mousse filling (no fruit) and chocolate buttercream icing. It was covered in fondant and had some hand-painted decorations. The price was $89.

The cake was fresh and delicious as usual!

View attachment 315553
Love it!!!

Just wanted to share my experience so far I called the WL phone number 4/7 at 1030am and left a message, around 330 I received a call back from Carol. She asked me what I was looking for and the cake/filling flavor I wanted and where I wanted it delivered. I was explaining everything to her and she asked me to email the contemporary bakery because they would be able to help instead. I sent them an email Saturday evening and didn't hear back so I called yesterday and left a message. This morning I received an email from George who was very helpful. I originally asked for a mini 2 tier cake themed as chewbacca with chocolate cake and cookies and cream filling. He said that he could do the 2 tier in my theme but they are very small and suggested that I change to a 6 inch cake with the same theme and quoted me $83. I double checked that that he could do cookies and cream filling since it wasnt one that he listed as an option and he said that he could but the price would be $89. We dont arrive until May 25 and it is going to be delivered to our room around 830pm since we will be at MK until after the fireworks so we will see then what it looks like!

Does anyone know if it's possible to get a Minnie Mouse themed cupcake? It's just me and my daughter who is turning 6 during our stay so as much as I'd love to get a 6 inch cake I just don't see the two of us being able to eat it before we leave. We are staying at Pop in a few weeks.

Does anyone have any photos of Tangled/Repunzel or Little Mermaid themed cakes they can post? I'm struggling to get inspiration for an 8" cake for my dd's 18th birthday? Any ideas welcome, thanks.

Last edited:
Just realized I never posted my cake

Not sure about the price since my fiancé got it for me for my 30th birthday and refuses to let me know how much it was. I’m assuming about $90 like the woody one above but not sure

It was delivered on 9 November to the California grill

It was Vanilla with vanilla frosting and raspberry mousse filling. Easily one of the best cakes I’ve ever had and my favorite design hands down.CC8DDB73-6EE1-41CA-A8A5-3EE6C5AD3F19.jpeg659D7A7E-67B3-4E88-932D-389215FFD41D.jpeg

Last year my sister attended the princess tea with her daughter, and has been raving about the cake ever since then. She jokes it was the only highlight of our stay at Sugarloaf that week. It so happens that we have just booked a last minute trip due to relatives flying in from Germany, and will be back at the kingdom for her birthday. As a surprise, I placed an order with the GF cake line for our 'Ohana dinner yesterday evening. I was amazed by the quick response, since I had left a message late Friday afternoon. I requested the same cake (vanilla with strawberry mousse) in 8 inches, with blue buttercream frosting, and a white chocolate figurine of stitch. I was told that they would add a surfboard with seashells. The person whom I spoke with asked for the date and our last name, but didn't get our reservation number. Total price to be charged on Tuesday, $125 plus tax. I asked about delivery, and was told staff would bring the cake for our reservation. The last time a fancy cake was ordered, ironically also for my sister, we also paid an 18% gratuity charge. For those who have ordered for TS delivery, is the fee included or will it be added to the dinner bill?

Last year my sister attended the princess tea with her daughter, and has been raving about the cake ever since then. She jokes it was the only highlight of our stay at Sugarloaf that week. It so happens that we have just booked a last minute trip due to relatives flying in from Germany, and will be back at the kingdom for her birthday. As a surprise, I placed an order with the GF cake line for our 'Ohana dinner yesterday evening. I was amazed by the quick response, since I had left a message late Friday afternoon. I requested the same cake (vanilla with strawberry mousse) in 8 inches, with blue buttercream frosting, and a white chocolate figurine of stitch. I was told that they would add a surfboard with seashells. The person whom I spoke with asked for the date and our last name, but didn't get our reservation number. Total price to be charged on Tuesday, $125 plus tax. I asked about delivery, and was told staff would bring the cake for our reservation. The last time a fancy cake was ordered, ironically also for my sister, we also paid an 18% gratuity charge. For those who have ordered for TS delivery, is the fee included or will it be added to the dinner bill?
There will be a gratuity added to the dinner bill (which they will charge the cake to) if you have a party of 6 or more.

Does anyone have any photos of Tangled/Repunzel or Little Mermaid themed cakes they can post? I'm struggling to get inspiration for an 8" cake for my dd's 18th birthday? Any ideas welcome, thanks.

Enchanted%20Cake_zpsdewsms0x.jpeg

Ariel%20Pink%20Dress%20Cake_zpsfejfp2hy.jpg

12795239_10155718405631515_6288954239732679687_o.jpg

And these were the standard princess cakes they used to offer at Cinderella's Royal Table. They don't have the option there anymore, but any bakery can re-create one of these from the photo:

CRT%20Her%20Royal%20Highness%20Package%20Cakes_zpsrbmpdiig.png

ARIELCAKE_zps3r9fbknr.jpg

Hi there! I was wondering if anyone had seen any Pandora-inspired cakes done yet? I’ve done a google search & not come up with anything. DD will turn 16 on our next trip & loves the Pandora section of Animal Kingdom. I am picturing foliage, flowers & even a touch of “bioluminescence” with the use of lights. (Seeing that recent cake photo with succulents makes me think this may be doable. Also, the two cakes we’ve ordered previously through the GF had lighting. Anyone have thoughts?)

I also wanted to say thank you to lurkyloo and all of you who post on this thread. I’ve been using it as a reference for over 3 years now (way before I ever even joined Disboards!) when I ordered my daughter’s first cake for her 13th birthday. The wonderful look of utter surprise & delight on her face during the moment she saw it was priceless. Worth every penny & now one of my favorite memories! If not for this thread, I never would’ve known ordering a cake was an option—or even how to go about it! Thanks again for helping bring extra joy to our Disney Trips!:)

I've checked through the thread a bit but I'm just double checking. If I ordered a cake for the Hoop Dee Doo Revue does it come from GF bakery? If so then I need to talk to Pat and they often won't do a 6 inch?

I ordered an amazing 10" Splash mountain in 2015 from Brian. No fondant but chocolate cake with peanut butter and ganache filling and chocolate frosting. Best cake I've ever had. I'd prefer to use the Contemporary but we're staying at AKV. We're eating at Chef Mickey's later in the week so I guess I could wait and get it then.

All 3 kids want their own cake this time so I was going to go with 6 inch and spread them out over the stay.

Also can you get a strawberry cake? If not any recommendations for a strawberry flavored cake?
Do you happen to have a picture you could share of your Splash Mountain cake? Thanks!

Thank you Lurkyloo for the photo's. I didn't think they would still make the 2 tier ones? And idea how much they are likely to charge? I like the lanterns one too! Decisions decisions :wave:

Does anyone know if you can get a cake for breakfast at Cape May. Either an 8 inch or the new chocolate Mickey cake with ears. Our dinners at the beginning of the trip are at restaurants at Epcot that do not do cakes by Disney

Hi there! I was wondering if anyone had seen any Pandora-inspired cakes done yet? I’ve done a google search & not come up with anything. DD will turn 16 on our next trip & loves the Pandora section of Animal Kingdom. I am picturing foliage, flowers & even a touch of “bioluminescence” with the use of lights. (Seeing that recent cake photo with succulents makes me think this may be doable. Also, the two cakes we’ve ordered previously through the GF had lighting. Anyone have thoughts?)

I think you're going to have to be our guinea pig! I haven't seen any Pandora cakes, but I think if you give them that description they will come up with something great. I love the idea of lots of succulents and flowers and some light-up aspect!

Thank you Lurkyloo for the photo's. I didn't think they would still make the 2 tier ones? And idea how much they are likely to charge? I like the lanterns one too! Decisions decisions :wave:

Cinderella's Royal Table doesn't offer those cakes anymore, but anyplace outside of the Magic Kingdom will make you a cake of any number of tiers! I think you're looking at $75-$100 for something like those princess cakes.

Does anyone know if you can get a cake for breakfast at Cape May. Either an 8 inch or the new chocolate Mickey cake with ears. Our dinners at the beginning of the trip are at restaurants at Epcot that do not do cakes by Disney

You can get cake at any meal or time of day. There's no restriction just because it's breakfast (and, as readers of this thread know, cake is the breakfast of champions!) :teeth: Contact info for the Yacht & Beach Club is in Post #2 of this thread.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter