Official Disney Cake Chatter - Part V!

Also, do these price points sound reasonable to you guys?

"Yes, the mini cakes are only 2 tier.

That is the only image of the two together that we have.

2 tier mini would cost $95.00

6” cake with 2 layers $83.00

6” cake with 4 layers (like the top tier with the heart) $110.00

Personally, I wouldn't pay $95 for a mini cake when I could get a 4-layer 6-inch cake with way more room for decor for just $15 more.

ETA: Is there also a point where someone will talk to me about the design, or do I have to call and request that?

If you don't think the photos you sent are sufficient, definitely call or email back with your specific requests.

Personally, I wouldn't pay $95 for a mini cake when I could get a 4-layer 6-inch cake with way more room for decor for just $15 more.

If you don't think the photos you sent are sufficient, definitely call or email back with your specific requests.
I pulled the trigger on the $115 one. I hope they do a nice job with it! The good thing is if there’s extra, we’re there for 2 more nights afterward to finish it up.

What’s the difference between the white ganache frosting and buttercream? I’m thinking of doing vanilla cake, chocolate filling, and the white ganache frosting but not sure what it’s like.

Last edited:
I pulled the trigger on the $115 one. I hope they do a nice job with it! The good thing is if there’s extra, we’re there for 2 more nights afterward to finish it up.

What’s the difference between the white ganache frosting and buttercream? I’m thinking of doing vanilla cake, chocolate filling, and the white ganache frosting but not sure what it’s like.

Ganache is a melted chocolate mixed with cream - think like the inside of a truffle. It's going to be very rich and a straight up white chocolate taste. Buttercream should be a mix of butter, sugar, vanilla - pretty sweet but no real distinct taste other than "sweet."

Ganache is a melted chocolate mixed with cream - think like the inside of a truffle. It's going to be very rich and a straight up white chocolate taste. Buttercream should be a mix of butter, sugar, vanilla - pretty sweet but no real distinct taste other than "sweet."
That’s true, didn’t think about that. May go with the less rich version, maybe do the dark chocolate as a filling. Should be plenty rich!

Any recommendations for last minute birthday cakes? I was working with Terry on a cake design, but I haven't heard from her in a couple of days. I'm worried we won't make the deadline (tomorrow). :-/ So, I guess I'm just trying to come up with a back up plan in case it falls through...I would prefer it be delivered to our room at Bay Lake Tower as opposed to a TS.

How big is the Disney Floral cake? Does it just say "Celebrate" on it?

TIA!

Any recommendations for last minute birthday cakes? I was working with Terry on a cake design, but I haven't heard from her in a couple of days. I'm worried we won't make the deadline (tomorrow). :-/ So, I guess I'm just trying to come up with a back up plan in case it falls through...I would prefer it be delivered to our room at Bay Lake Tower as opposed to a TS.

How big is the Disney Floral cake? Does it just say "Celebrate" on it?

TIA!
You could try Amorette's.

I think I’ve finalized what I’ll be trying to order for a cake.

My problem is I’ve been combing through every cake thread for inspiration and I’ve started to get what’s currently allowed a little mixed up.

I want to get a 6” nice fondant covered cake from the Yacht and Beach Club bakery delivered to our room at Art of Animation. I’d ideally have it be in almond cake with strawberry mousse filling and fresh strawberries.

Does this sound doable? I know at some points over the last few years, there have been mixed results with smaller cakes being decorated and having more customized flavors. I’m not sure what the current status of Yacht and Beach club is on that front.

Also does the almond/strawberry combo sound good? I’ve never had a custom Disney cake before, but we are a party of 3 adults that aren’t into chocolate or peanut butter type things. Should we go more simple on the flavor?

Thanks! I know theming and decoration questions should be taken up with the bakery in question, but I don’t want to spend a ton of time playing the ubiquitous phone-tag to answer these questions.

Oh, also! Is there a delivery fee or auto gratuity for delivery to Art of Animation? I believe I’ve read there wasn’t in the past.

I think I’ve finalized what I’ll be trying to order for a cake.

My problem is I’ve been combing through every cake thread for inspiration and I’ve started to get what’s currently allowed a little mixed up.

I want to get a 6” nice fondant covered cake from the Yacht and Beach Club bakery delivered to our room at Art of Animation. I’d ideally have it be in almond cake with strawberry mousse filling and fresh strawberries.

Does this sound doable? I know at some points over the last few years, there have been mixed results with smaller cakes being decorated and having more customized flavors. I’m not sure what the current status of Yacht and Beach club is on that front.

Also does the almond/strawberry combo sound good? I’ve never had a custom Disney cake before, but we are a party of 3 adults that aren’t into chocolate or peanut butter type things. Should we go more simple on the flavor?

Thanks! I know theming and decoration questions should be taken up with the bakery in question, but I don’t want to spend a ton of time playing the ubiquitous phone-tag to answer these questions.

Oh, also! Is there a delivery fee or auto gratuity for delivery to Art of Animation? I believe I’ve read there wasn’t in the past.
Its sounds scrumptious to me! I do believe there is a delivery fee but not sure what it is

Can someone answer why they can’t do certain characters if they own the right to them. Like Star Wars. Or Marvel. Or even Disney sometimes. They own them all. Is it because of artistically they have to be what that character looks like. Not a similarity of that character? I was just wondering. Would seem if u payed millions to own the rights ur employees should have rights to use them?
I’m thinking it’s cause of the artistic liability thing. I remember when we used to collect wdcc hearing from one of the sculptors something on that line that the face has to be the likeness originally intended for.

No. The only time you get charged a fee and gratuity is when you have a cake delivered by Private Dining. There is no Private Dining at AOA, so they don't charge you to put the cake in your room.

Can someone answer why they can’t do certain characters if they own the right to them. Like Star Wars. Or Marvel. Or even Disney sometimes. They own them all. Is it because of artistically they have to be what that character looks like. Not a similarity of that character?

Exactly. They don't want some sad R2D2 ending up on Cake Wrecks.

Just got a call that my cake was approved by legal!!! I can't wait to see it, she said it's going to look awesome. I had some pretty basic requests so I'm excited to see how it turns out. We will be at Cali Grill Sunday so I"ll post afterwards. Thanks for all the tips here!

@alexandrapt I found another Disney Tiki cake for you!

IMG_2433_zpsswddxavr.jpg

Not that detailed, I'm afraid. The mini cakes are TINY. If it were a 1-tier mini cake, they might be able to get a few of those details on top, but the top tier of a 2-tier mini cake is only about the diameter of a 50-cent piece.

Okay, huh? That’s a little over an inch! (I googled lol)

I want this cake for DDs birthday at 1900 PF. 3 adults, 1 child, no leftovers needed. I wanted it under $75. What size should I order?

upload_2018-9-18_20-2-29.jpeg

I want this cake for DDs birthday at 1900 PF. 3 adults, 1 child, no leftovers needed. I wanted it under $75. What size should I order?

Well that one they might be able to do as a mini cake, as long as the dots and trim were piped or you were ok with larger fondant dots. Maybe not the bow. Definitely no name. But they could do the ears like this....

redmickeyhat6-28.jpg

I'd ask and see what they say. You definitely won't be able to get a larger two-tier cake for under $75, so hopefully this is a design they can work with!

Just got a call that my cake was approved by legal!!! I can't wait to see it, she said it's going to look awesome. I had some pretty basic requests so I'm excited to see how it turns out. We will be at Cali Grill Sunday so I"ll post afterwards. Thanks for all the tips here!

yay!!!! That is great news!! After my Spiderman inspired, and both Star Wars ideas were turned down I am now waiting for approval on a VERY simple Peter Pan design, fingers crossed still LOL
Can't wait to see pictures of yours, have a magical trip!!!

Well that one they might be able to do as a mini cake, as long as the dots and trim were piped or you were ok with larger fondant dots. Maybe not the bow. Definitely no name. But they could do the ears like this....

So new question - what size do I need to order to get the cake I wanted, and how much do you think it will cost?

No. The only time you get charged a fee and gratuity is when you have a cake delivered by Private Dining. There is no Private Dining at AOA, so they don't charge you to put the cake in your room.

Exactly. They don't want some sad R2D2 ending up on Cake Wrecks.

Lol. Ya I can see that happening cause I had one sad looking little mermaid cake before. Not the characters on it. Justcthe black chunks around it that was suppose to be coral I think. I know my daughter much prefers black dark colors over bright girly colors. Lol

So new question - what size do I need to order to get the cake I wanted, and how much do you think it will cost?

Disney's go-to for a full-size 2-tier cake is a 6-inch atop a 10-inch. It starts around $250 and feeds 50+ people. I once convinced the Contemporary to make me a "maxi-mini" cake that was a 3-inch atop a 5-inch and only cost $75, but that was 6 years ago. If they'll go for it now, I have to think the price will be at least $125. See what they say!

I ordered that exact cake from the GF, except in chocolate, and paid a little over $37 with tax. I’m excited to see how it turns out.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!