***Official December 2017 thread!

I am from Northern IN so i should be good. Thanks
I was going to ask this too. We are from Central Indiana and went two Novembers in a row, but the early November weather was still in the upper 80's. We did take jackets and long sleeved shirts for evening and occasionally had to put those on, but during the day we were roasting. Probably will have to do that for week before Christmas weather as well (bring long sleeved shirts and lightweight jackets). Mid 70's will be glorious to me with short sleeves!!! :santa:

I have a Candlelight Processional package reserved, and I just read somewhere today that when you get the package, it also includes a special viewing section for Illuminations. I don't remember reading that when I made the reservation. Does anyone know if this is true?

I was going to ask this too. We are from Central Indiana and went two Novembers in a row, but the early November weather was still in the upper 80's. We did take jackets and long sleeved shirts for evening and occasionally had to put those on, but during the day we were roasting. Probably will have to do that for week before Christmas weather as well (bring long sleeved shirts and lightweight jackets). Mid 70's will be glorious to me with short sleeves!!! :santa:

We were in Disney in 2000 the first week of December and we had a couple of warm days but needed jackets, hats and mittens and pants half the week. Supposedly we were "lucky" enough to be there during record cold temps, here were frost warnings in the mornings! We are from Northeastern Ohio - we are very used to the cold. So when we go this year Dec 20-31 I plan on bringing spring/winter clothes for the family. Thank god we are traveling southwest and have 2 free bags each!

I have a Candlelight Processional package reserved, and I just read somewhere today that when you get the package, it also includes a special viewing section for Illuminations. I don't remember reading that when I made the reservation. Does anyone know if this is true?

Last year we did not have a special viewing section for Illuminations. They dont do this anymore.

Did anyone else happen to visit this time last year? We visited same time last year (Dec. 3-10). I know there are a few on here? From what I remember, the resorts were also completely booked, people had "the worst" time securing ADRs.. people were concerned about POp warner (we only saw one football group while in the parks). I was a bit concerned because our airport (Boston) was flooded with Cheer groups at 400am all headed to Disney. Also, our week was right in betweeen the free dining periods , just as it is this year.

but in the end, the first week of Dec. was a very enjoyable time. I don't think there is ever a time at Disney that is not crowded....but it was definitely not unbearable. We had a great time. I think as long as you have solid plans, fp booked, adrs etc...I think you will be pleasantly surprised!!

I also do remember, that people that had booked ADRs only a few days prior to my 180 date had mentioned that they had no trouble getting the times/places they wanted...This year, I had about the same availability. (very little) I got about half of the ADRs...and I was trying for some of the more difficult ones.. I was also being pretty picky. So, my 180 was Jun 5th this year, I think. And, since then I've been able to find the others that I was missing. Still looking for one or two more, but many will open before the trip.

Did anyone happen to see this on the DIS facebook page? :rotfl2:
20156143_10100730838096928_2626662525480361258_n.jpg

Last edited:
Wow this trip has really been put on the back burner this summer due to A LOT of time spent at the baseball field and trying to figure out our summer Anniversary Trip (and even had to change those dates because of baseball, but wouldn't have it any other way!) I am really glad that I was able to use a TA for this trip and able to get a good room at a great price, especially with the discounts not looking the best and going closer to Christmas. Hopefully can sit down and really figure out what we want to do and what parks we want to do when DH and I get back in August. We have officially decided to drive because prices are just to crazy to fly, but that's okay. My kids are great road trippers and with winter weather so unpredictable we can change routes easier driving than flying.

Did anyone else happen to visit this time last year? We visited same time last year (Dec. 3-10). I know there are a few on here? From what I remember, the resorts were also completely booked, people had "the worst" time securing ADRs.. people were concerned about POp warner (we only saw one football group while in the parks). I was a bit concerned because our airport (Boston) was flooded with Cheer groups at 400am all headed to Disney. Also, our week was right in betweeen the free dining periods , just as it is this year.

We took a relatively last minute trip Dec 3-8, 2016. Although we stayed off-site we booked one night each at CSR, POR, and CBR for one adult and 4 kids to maximize the deluxe dining plan and use the pools. We had no problem making ADRs, although we didn't try for any of the hard-to-get ones. The parks and resorts didn't seem crowded at all.

I think a lot of it depends on the traveler. I have gone at the same time as other people that have said it was not bad at all crowd wise and it was their 2nd time in WDW, for us at that time it was ridiculous and we decided to try a new vacation time (we go every year and sometimes twice a year). There are also times when people actually hated every aspect of their trip at the same time we were there and we thought it was excellent, so much so that we traveled at that time for the longest amount of time. Even if we all came back to this thread after our trips to 'check-in', there will be a difference in opinions, even if we were all in the same park at the same time on the same day.

It would be interested in coming back after December and seeing what folks thought, LOL :) Nice to hear that there are similarities between what's happening now and last year for the same time frame.

Question for folks who have use BOTH a TA for a trip, and have also planned it all on their own. Which did you prefer? This is our second trip as a family and I've planned both myself. I'm pretty OCD abotu reading multiple news sources, listening to multiple podcasts (the first of which was the DIS, mind you), and do some fairly exhaustive pricing comparisons. But I'd love to hear from folks who've done both and have a preference.

It would be interested in coming back after December and seeing what folks thought, LOL :) Nice to hear that there are similarities between what's happening now and last year for the same time frame.

Question for folks who have use BOTH a TA for a trip, and have also planned it all on their own. Which did you prefer? This is our second trip as a family and I've planned both myself. I'm pretty OCD abotu reading multiple news sources, listening to multiple podcasts (the first of which was the DIS, mind you), and do some fairly exhaustive pricing comparisons. But I'd love to hear from folks who've done both and have a preference.
I'm using a TA for the first time and I regret it. She hasn't been able to get us any kind of promotions. I know it's been tough this year but she didn't even start looking for free dining until 6 pm the day it came out. And when using one, you lose all control to make changes yourself. I think it could be a benefit if the TA has proven to do good work.

Please add us dec 7 thru 16....first time in dec. Looks ok crowd wise until the 16 th....missed opening day for airfare from southwest...when do you think prices will be good ...sept. ??????

We have done both and for the December trip I did use a TA, but only for the reservation (and deal on room and tickets for the family). I have done my own dining reservations and will do my own FP+. The TA I am working with has been really good with the couple switches I have had to make and was able to keep the room type I wanted and the tickets I needed for my family (I have an AP). The only reason I used a TA was because we are going over Christmas and that was the only way I could get a room/discount for that week.

I used a TA for December's last trip. It was my first trip (if you don't count my previous unplanned disaster trip) and my TA was great. She loves Disney herself so she knew all the ins and outs of planning. Made my ADRs, I later changed some myself when we switched plans around. She made all of my fastpasses and even gave me a spreadsheet that had customized touring plans on it. Our July trip was a short notice one that I booked myself and I did all the planning myself. It went great. I'm doing this trip myself too. I'm pretty comfortable with WDW planning at this point. Now we just booked a Disney cruise for 2018 and I booked thru the previous TA. It makes me feel more comfortable to have a 2nd eye on things that I haven't done before and have a go-to person if anything goes wrong I can contact.

Long time lurker, first time poster. I have learned so much from you all!
Super excited for my family's first trip to Disney!
Still waiting for a couple of very important ADRs to make our trip complete. Trying to take everyone's advice not to stress and just hope they open up.

Question for folks who have use BOTH a TA for a trip, and have also planned it all on their own. Which did you prefer?

Well, this is the first time I've been to Disney in over 10 years, and it's an extended family trip for a total of 10 people. I figured I'd be the primary planner (I am), but I suggested to the 2 other groups along with me that we use a free Disney TA service, thinking it would be helpful. To be honest, I haven't been impressed. Because I am also a good researcher & planner, I feel like I've found out about a lot of things before our TA has contacted us, and the communication hasn't been where I've expected. Of course, the service to me is free, so it does sound awful to complain about a free service, I know. As another poster said, it's possible that if I'd gotten a more motivated TA, maybe things would be different & more positive. It is a benefit if something goes wrong while I'm in the parks, I would hope, since another person could be working to help us out, but fingers crossed we won't need that kind of action! I might recommend a Disney TA to other people if they were Disney newbies, but I would not recommend my particular contact person, although the company I'm using overall seems fine.

I really appreciate the responses to my TA/no TA question folks, thank you :) I'm considering trying to use one next trip because I know some will work their butts off to make your trip amazing...but there's a part of me that just really loves planning these trips :)

Anyone planning on going to the Early Morning Magic? I hope they release the dates for December before we have to book our fastpasses in October. It'll great to not have to worry about 7D and Peter Pan.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter