OFFICIAL CHRISTMAS HOLIDAY SEASON & NEW YEAR'S 2017 THREAD

For most attractions you can place that bag on the floor between your feet if it's too big to fit into the little pouch that they have built into the vehicles. The only ones where I would be a little hesitant are Splash and Grizzly because things will get wet (possibly) and CA Screamin. For those, I would consider a locker to keep stuff safe (and dry!).

There are lockers near Grizzly that are free for 2 hours - I would definitely recommend using them.

Question for those of you who bring stuff back. We will be dropping our niece who is coming with us back to her house as soon as we land and since it will be New years eve there will be a few people gather there. I would like to bring the little ones and some teens some Disneyland desserts/snacks. It is only about 5 kids total. What is the best way to do this? Should i pack a small Tupperware or zip lock bag? Or is there a cute container i could maybe buy over there and fill with goodies?

Is there any issue with bringing any of items like that on board a plane or in our carry on? Our flight will only be about 1 hr long ( norther CA). How many days do most desserts or snack last fresh?

TIA

Some of the cookies are purchased wrapped in cellophane (like the big snowman available at Red Rose Tavern) and I think those would last longer. Anything covered in collocate like the marshmallow wands should be sturdy and last a while too. I wouldn't try cupcakes but a cake pop, candy apple or Rice Krispie might travel well. There are also cute pre-packaged holiday treats for sale that would be really easy. I would bring some freezer zip loc bags or plastic take n toss containers to transport them home.

Just got back Saturday from our Christmas trip. We were in the parks last Wednesday - Friday. Super crowded after around 10 or 11 AM. Used the exit route behind Main Street for the first time in years! I think I have only gone out that way in summers before. We used MaxPass and it was fantastic, definitely worth the money. We rode everything we wanted to multiple times and it seemed the fast pass lines went faster than they did a few years ago. I think we only did a few walk on rides and just used the fast passes for everything! Really liked the new Guardians, Soarin', and Fantasmic! The construction for Star Wars land was massive! It should be quite something when it is done. No fireworks at all while we were there due to the winds. We drove down from Northern Cali on Tuesday and I5 was closed near Magic Mountain. Took a detour through Lancaster and couldn't believe all the smoke, it was so eerie. I feel so bad for all the people affected by the fires.

We really had a great time and I can't wait to return.

Question for those of you who bring stuff back. ... What is the best way to do this? ...

Is there any issue with bringing any of items like that on board a plane or in our carry on? Our flight will only be about 1 hr long ( norther CA). How many days do most desserts or snack last fresh?

TIA

I’ve traveled home with specialty caramel apples from Marceline’s Confectionery with little trouble. They have clamshell holders that are made of plastic that is firm enough to protect the apples fairly well. Not all apples fit perfectly in them, though. They don’t have quite enough room for apples with Mickey ears, for example. But they still provide some protection. I carry them on the plane inside a large paper sack as a “personal item” that fits under the seat in front of me.

On multiple occasions, I’ve also traveled home with a slice of 24-Layer Chocolate Cake from Steakhouse 55. It’s been a few years since I’ve done this, so things may have changed. But at the time, they had two different sizes of to-go boxes. If you request the smaller size of box, the slice of cake will fit just perfectly in it. I sometimes had to insist on the smaller size of box to a cast member who refused to believe the cake would fit! (Yes, the slices are that big!) Then I would take that box to my hotel room fridge. The next morning, I would pack the to-go box with the cake inside in a small, hard-sided travel cooler. The cooler I have is the size of a large lunchbox, about big enough for a six-pack of canned beverages. The to-go box would just barely fit inside of it along with a hard-sided, reusable cold pack to keep the contents fresh and cool. I would carry that inside a large paper sack (usually picked up from a restaurant) as a personal item for carry-on on the airplane. I never had any trouble with this arrangement flying out of either Ontario (ONT) or Orange County (SNA). My flight is close to 2 hours long. The goodies would always be fresh enough flavor-wise. But, depending on my carefulness and occasionally that of TSA personnel that took a closer look, the cake did sometimes take just a little beating. In my experience, the planning ahead with a cooler and cold pack helped the most to keep more perishable goods fresh.

It depends on the type of treat you want to bring back. If it's something pretty solid (e.g., fudge, peanut butter square), I think you'll be okay with a Ziploc bag. If it's something more fragile (e.g., cake pop, pastry, etc.), then I think a disposable container would be better.

Again, it really depends on what you're bringing back. The candies seem to last longer than any of the pastry type goods. I've had a caramel apple that lasted about a week without issue (kept in a cool place - fridge!); some of the candies will last longer. The pastries and goodies from Jolly Holiday last a few days. So it really depends on what you're thinking of bringing back.

I am not quite sure what I will back yet, but I will probably stick to less fragile items. Also I would be purchasing the day before we leave or even the morning of our departure and based on how long you estimate they will stay fresh I think I will be ok with freshness.
Thanks

Some of the cookies are purchased wrapped in cellophane (like the big snowman available at Red Rose Tavern) and I think those would last longer. Anything covered in collocate like the marshmallow wands should be sturdy and last a while too. I wouldn't try cupcakes but a cake pop, candy apple or Rice Krispie might travel well. There are also cute pre-packaged holiday treats for sale that would be really easy. I would bring some freezer zip loc bags or plastic take n toss containers to transport them home.

Thanks I will definitely look more for items that are pre packaged. That will also prevent any of us from eating them hopefully.

We bring the prepacked rice krispie treats home from Disney World all of the time. See if you can find some cute holiday ones. :)

We were there last week - Dec 2-9. It was busy, but we were expecting that given the park hours. We upgraded our PH's to AP's and added MaxPass for all 4 of us - that was money WELL SPENT for sure with the crowds. I can't tell you how awesome it was to be in DL in the morning getting afternoon FP for DCA. Or returning to the hotel for rest/nap and grabbing FP's for when we returned to the parks. It was the first time my 3 year old was able to ride the 40" rides so we had a blast with that.

As others mentioned WOC was cancelled on Tuesday (12/5), we did the WOC dinner and were able to return on Thursday night to use our tickets (we did and were able to secure front row spots, and didn't get wet at all).

It was great to see the garlands back up across main street. We weren't able to fit in the Christmas Parade unfortunately, it was always during the time we took a break for the 3 year old to nap, really disappointed that there wasn't an evening one. We also cancelled our plans for Fantasmic!, we decided it was just too late for our littles...DH & I will catch it when we come without kids in February...of course that means we also missed the Fireworks the nights they were done (most nights cancelled due to the crazy high winds).

We did the Santa Breakfast at Catal in DTD on Saturday before we left for home....I was rather underwhelmed with the experience. I figured for $260 (for 2 adults & 2 kids) we'd get more than 1 measly 5x7 printed photo. The advertised "Carolers" only sang one song in the hour+ we were there. Food was delicious, and the kids loved it, which I guess is what really matters. I wouldn't do it again unless they change it up.

Weather was so nice and warm, people were generally happy (except for the one lady who "stole" my carousel horse when I was securing my 3 year old on his horse and refused to get off when I told her I had planned to sit there and was just securing my child first...she flatly told me, "sorry, not sorry". I was fuming).

Overall it was a long, but fun (and exhausting) trip.

Holy Moly! Just got back from a long, but AMAZING day at DLR!
If you are on the fence about Maxpass, GET IT! It made the Disney experience so much better. This can help with the small amount of time tickets (one day, one park/one day park hopper). We were able to do 7 rides by 11 am!!! And did a total of 10 rides! We even did Indiana Jones twice!!! The park overall was pretty busy. It didn't feel insanely crowded like the last couple of years I have gone around Christmas, granted, today is Monday and not a weekend. I thought it would be more crowded since this is the last week of non black out days for AP's.

The main thing I noticed, and what other people on this thread have mentioned is, if you do have max pass, make sure to understand how to use the app and scan the tickets. You can link all the tickets on one device or share them. We found it easier to just have them on one phone and scan and book from there. The fastpass lines were shorter, but only got held up when people didn't understand how to scan or use the app.

Random tidbit: If you are still looking for Rose Gold Minnie Ears, I found them at the Emporium on Main Street. They kept them behind the register, rather than out on the shelves. I am not sure if this prevents people from taking an excessive amount. They had a lot, but not a ton. Hopefully they are keeping them in good stock. There were also some at one of the stores in Fantasyland (I think Rose Tavern?), but not as much as the Emporium.

You can ask for items like cookies/brownies to be packed in the plastic boxes they pack the apples in, actually worked quite well for me a few weeks back. The peanut butter chocolate chunk cookies are amazing.

The Holiday Toy Drummers were one of my favorite live entertainment offerings during the Holiday season in DCA. They're a lot of fun to watch!
DSC_0729_zpsewmwordq.jpg

DSC_0177_zpsa5licbyl.jpg

Not holiday entertainment...but we also saw two of the Disneyland cats together over by Grizzly River Run. They look a lot alike, until you see them together and realize they look very different. :rotfl:
DSC_0190_zps4gofdjxw.jpg

The Holiday Toy Drummers were one of my favorite live entertainment offerings during the Holiday season in DCA. They're a lot of fun to watch!
DSC_0729_zpsewmwordq.jpg

DSC_0177_zpsa5licbyl.jpg

Not holiday entertainment...but we also saw two of the Disneyland cats together over by Grizzly River Run. They look a lot alike, until you see them together and realize they look very different. :rotfl:
DSC_0190_zps4gofdjxw.jpg

Totally agree about the toy drummers. I wasn't sure what to expect but they were really fantastic!

I think they come out from somewhere near Pacific Wharf and head to the Paradise Pier obelisk (the lighthouse statue across from the Little Mermaid entrance). It's fun to see/hear they head through the park; they usually pick-up a pretty good audience as they walk along. It's almost like a mini-parade! :)

Haha-those two cats have tricked me in the past, especially at dusk. I was taking a photo of one of them and he then slinked back into the foliage and then the other one lept out like 30 feet away a few seconds later and I was dumbfounded until I saw them both together.

2 weeks from today is our first full park day!!!

I am considering adding a 4th day to my ticket though. Wanting some thoughts knowing it will be crazy busy.

Our first day we arrive around 2-3pm and hubby and DS are going to midevil times and my and DD (1) were gonna hit of down town Disney. I was think of having dinner at earl of sand which since it’s closing and checking out world of Disney, etc..

But then I was also thinking of getting into the park and checking out the holiday food festival, maybe riding some toddler friendly rides.. getting a lay for the land so to speak lol!

I don’t think it’s all that much to add a 4th day to my ticket.

But I want to expirence down town Disney too and I worry with the insane crowds there won’t be any food left at the holiday food festival lol!

Whatcha think!?

2 weeks from today is our first full park day!!!

I am considering adding a 4th day to my ticket though. Wanting some thoughts knowing it will be crazy busy.

Our first day we arrive around 2-3pm and hubby and DS are going to midevil times and my and DD (1) were gonna hit of down town Disney. I was think of having dinner at earl of sand which since it’s closing and checking out world of Disney, etc..

But then I was also thinking of getting into the park and checking out the holiday food festival, maybe riding some toddler friendly rides.. getting a lay for the land so to speak lol!

I don’t think it’s all that much to add a 4th day to my ticket.

But I want to expirence down town Disney too and I worry with the insane crowds there won’t be any food left at the holiday food festival lol!

Whatcha think!?
First yay!! to your upcoming trip. we will be arriving the 27th. We usually do not make a special trip to DTD unless we have ressie at a restaurant. we just shop either in between our park hopping or after a night in the parks. This time we will arrive around 5 pm to the hotel and we just want to relax have pool time dinner and do some shopping in DTD. If you will be there at 2 pm I think you can get a few things done but by that time it will probably be very busy in the parks.

We were in the parks last Wednesday - Friday. Super crowded after around 10 or 11 AM.
Do you think MaxPass is worth it if you are entering after 12 noon on a busy day? We arrive at Orange on Jan. 2nd at 10:45 and are planing to dump our stuff at the hotel and go to the parks. We are going to DL until dinner time when we will head over to DCA to do dinner at the food booths and then we have the dessert party for WOC. Our 2 days we will get the MaxPass so we can enjoy the parks with all the annual passholders that where blocked.

Today's the day, today's when we FINALLY tell our kids about our trip. DH and I are so excited, we can't wait. We are going to tape the whole thing, they have no idea what is coming to them. It's also my birthday party: , I know they have presents for me so after I open those, DH had made a movie with the big reveal. It's going to be crazy and fun at the same time.

11 days until we leave for our Happy Place!!!! :dancer:

Today's the day, today's when we FINALLY tell our kids about our trip. DH and I are so excited, we can't wait. We are going to tape the whole thing, they have no idea what is coming to them. It's also my birthday party: , I know they have presents for me so after I open those, DH had made a movie with the big reveal. It's going to be crazy and fun at the same time.

11 days until we leave for our Happy Place!!!! :dancer:

Yay!!!!!!!! If you can post the video do!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter