*** Official August 2020 thread ***

So we are still booked at YC for 7/31-8/8.
We have pre park opening breakfast booked at all but one morning of our stay at our planned park with fastpasses. I have booked 1/2 cabana rentals at my resort for Multiple days to ensure we get pool time .
With that said , I am not against canceling everything at Disney and jumping to Universal if Epcot is closed. I do think parks at Disney that have resorts within walking distance will be open at Disney. Unfortunately, it’s all still a waiting game till Disney announces.

We're staying August 4-11 and as of now we're still planning on going as long as the resorts are open. We're doing a split stay between Gran Destino Tower and Animal Kingdom so we will have plenty to do around those resorts + Disney Springs. I think it could be fun to have a resort-focused trip -- and hopefully lower crowds!

These are our thoughts as well. We will def still go as long as resort pools are open and even if limited offerings at the parks(although by august i'd be real surprised if things aren't fully open). We have been enough where it will be OK if things are missed. But I do think those who go less often or one and done trips will cancel and hopefully make the parks less crowded.

August 2020 Roll Call!
If you are visiting Disney World in August 2020, post your dates, and resort in the thread, and I will add you to the roll call!

** PLEASE NOTE ** As this list gets longer, finding someone in it to make changes to their listing becomes more difficult. If you are posting to ask for a change to the Roll Call, please give me what ever dates you have
Aug 20-29 ILoveMyDVC OKW

Moving over from last week of July.
7 of us. My DH and our firends with their 3 children ages 5-9.

Last edited:
After many discussions, we have canceled our August trip. This trip was to be a big one for us since we were not planning on visiting Disney for quite some time in the future. We just can justify paying so much and not get character meets, parades, fireworks, etc.
We are not upset or mad. even my 12 yr old is ok because he wants all the Disney Magic. We also don’t want to travel and wear a mask in Florida heat all day. We are pro-mask and wear one all the time outside. (It is actually unusual to see someone without a mask in our area.) But we only wear it for about an hour maybe 2. We know wearing one for hours in Florida heat will be hard. Especially for my two guys who can’t handle the summer heat in Chicago.

So we will either take our son out of school in January or February or do next August and make it my 50th b-day celebration!

To all who are going, we can’t wait to see all your pictures and trip reports! Have a magical time. 🥰 :tink::smickey:
We made that decision for our July trip and then rescheduled for August but I have a feeling we will be writing this same email in early July. The 5 and 8 year old boys coming with us can't wear masks in the heat. They won't wear them now. Their mom keeps them home to keep them safe.
FYI, I did my 30th, 40th & 45th in Aug at WDW.

I just don't know what to do, but I'm leaning towards cancelling. I've only paid the deposit, so I owe $10,000 --- a lot of money for a scaled back experience. The anticipated cuts to shows, fireworks, and characters are a big deal to me. I am particularly concerned with the reduced restaurant capacity. What will happen with my dining plan if I can't actually get seating? (I do have ADRs...but will they be honored?) We'll need to eat somewhere and 2 weeks of counter service is a hard no for me. Also, finding food outside Disney property is a no for me. The resort itself holds no interest at all to my family; it's simply a place to sleep. Replacing park time with resort time is a huge waste of time & money for us.

Unfortunately, I'll probably have to make a decision before I can get a clear idea of what the new park experience will be like. If seriously reduced capacity means you go on rides over and over again with little wait...well, giving up other things would be worth it. But if distancing and cleaning means usual or longer summer wait times, I'd be paying the same amount of money for a significantly reduced experience. I think I'd reschedule in that case.

My FP day is in two weeks...so I need to come up with a plan.

I just don't know what to do, but I'm leaning towards cancelling. I've only paid the deposit, so I owe $10,000 --- a lot of money for a scaled back experience. The anticipated cuts to shows, fireworks, and characters are a big deal to me. I am particularly concerned with the reduced restaurant capacity. What will happen with my dining plan if I can't actually get seating? (I do have ADRs...but will they be honored?) We'll need to eat somewhere and 2 weeks of counter service is a hard no for me. Also, finding food outside Disney property is a no for me. The resort itself holds no interest at all to my family; it's simply a place to sleep. Replacing park time with resort time is a huge waste of time & money for us.

Unfortunately, I'll probably have to make a decision before I can get a clear idea of what the new park experience will be like. If seriously reduced capacity means you go on rides over and over again with little wait...well, giving up other things would be worth it. But if distancing and cleaning means usual or longer summer wait times, I'd be paying the same amount of money for a significantly reduced experience. I think I'd reschedule in that case.

My FP day is in two weeks...so I need to come up with a plan.
10am you will have a lot clearer picture

July 11th reopening of Magic Kingdom and Animal Kingdom
July 15th reopening of Hollywood Studios and EPCOT

Will have a pre-arrival reservation system associated (more information on that will probably come in the next few days).

Parades, fireworks, and other events that would encourage crowds will not be returning immediately.

*Disclosure - This was the information presented by Disney during the Task Force Meeting, subject to approval by governing bodies*

July 11th reopening of Magic Kingdom and Animal Kingdom
July 15th reopening of Hollywood Studios and EPCOT

Will have a pre-arrival reservation system associated (more information on that will probably come in the next few days).

Parades, fireworks, and other events that would encourage crowds will not be returning immediately.

*Disclosure - This was the information presented by Disney during the Task Force Meeting, subject to approval by governing bodies*
Also, no character meet and greets.

Well, we're out. I have NO problem with how they're handling it; they're being cautious and that's the right thing to do. If we were locals, we'd be in line on day one, but we have to travel a good distance. The plan is to book a gonzo vacation next August, but given the uncertainty around the hotels reopening and the downsized experiences, it just doesn't make sense for us this year. So, from Houston, TX, see ya real soon! :smickey:

Sadly, you can remove me from the August list. It just got too close with still too many unknowns and was causing a lot of unnecessary stress so we decided to postpone the honeymoon until January. We still don't know when we will be able to cross the Canada-US border or if we can if we will have to self-quarantine when we return.

I'm confident we made the right decision but it's still a bummer in the moment. :(

Well... we were still keeping our August 15-23 DVC reservation and 2 of us have APs, but I was waiting to buy my sons AP. Now it looks like I can’t even buy him a ticket. Our FP+ day is in 20 days. Ugh!

Jumping in the August board to read and discuss August parks news (that is unless we cancel) currently have reservations for early August. Formerly was on the April board. A little too hesitant to join here earlier, since no date was out there for opening until today's broadcast. But even with the dates of opening out now, I STILL don't know what we'll end up doing. First, waiting to hear how this reservation system will work, what it entails, what dates the system will go through, will they notify us to make reservations if we aren't technically in a WDW resort or AP holder (and does that matter), or who is even eligible to make reservations, etc. Basically holding on tight to hear more news like everyone else is.

If we bounce on this reservation, we'll try again in 2021.

So we are still August but I just changed our dates we were Aug 18-22 at GFV but now we're Aug 26-30th - that week was a little better for our schedule!

Anyone notice that dining reservations are down? Did I miss something other than Disney announcing the opening plan? I didnt know if something was mentioned specifically about dining and I missed it...

Just trying to rebook our ADRs from Aug 18th to 26th..

thanks!

So we are still August but I just changed our dates we were Aug 18-22 at GFV but now we're Aug 26-30th - that week was a little better for our schedule!

Anyone notice that dining reservations are down? Did I miss something other than Disney announcing the opening plan? I didnt know if something was mentioned specifically about dining and I missed it...

Just trying to rebook our ADRs from Aug 18th to 26th..

thanks!
They seem to have shut down the ADR system right now. I can't modify my August dates (or November ones!) It gives a number to call. Not sure if this is temporary while they change whatever they're going to do in MDE. Maybe they are going in and restricting ADRs?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter