*******Official August 2017 Countdown Thread ~ Feeling hot, hot, hot!!!******

I am excited and concerned about the weather. I am prepared for rain mentally. The 2-3 hrs in the afternoon. but reading other thread from people who just came back and had rain for 6 hrs almost every day last few weeks makes me nervous. I simply dont know how to prepare for 6 hrs of rain. and by prepare I mean clothing/shoes and not even ADRs or FPs. and than just the idea that we waited so long to go and see rain outs....

well June does typically have more rainfall than August so......... I think the general consensus for August is rain every day but not for long. I've gone 2x in August and that's how it was for me both times.

well June does typically have more rainfall than August so......... I think the general consensus for August is rain every day but not for long. I've gone 2x in August and that's how it was for me both times.

I've been once in July, and 8 times in August. In all of those August visits, only 2 times did we really have what I could call a wet vacation. One of those times wasn't bad, just more rain than typical. One was pretty lousy. The other 6 August trips were typical, a storm in the afternoon, somewhere between 10 minutes, and 2 hours, and then dry and sunny for the remainder of the evening.

2015 was an exception, with ran that often set up mid afternoon, and continued through the evening, often accompanied by enough lightning to convince me to return to the hotel early.

So, while wet miserable vacations CAN happen in August, it certainly isn't the norm. For what it is worth, even in 2015 when we had all of the rain, and wound up calling it quits early several nights, we still had a great time!

Just wanted to give a report on Fast passes for FOP. Some of you may recall that today was my 60 day mark and I was trying to book FP for 7 for our first two days of our trip. I was not able to get any the first day, but was able to get 4 for our second late at night, which is better than none. I booked two separate FPs for 2 about 5 minutes apart. I will keep trying to pick singles as the trip gets closer. Advice: if you are having trouble and have a big party, definitely search for smaller numbers!

Booked my Fastpasses 7 AM yesterday for my ten day stay 8/15-8/25. I was able to get FOP for three days. The ninth day I managed to get a 9:30 AM time slot, the only morning of the three. The others were 12:30 and 2:30. I was happy I got it!

The key here on FoP seems to be staying on site, and booking for the 3rd day of your trip, or later. Staying offsite, you are very likely to have to ride standby.

Of course, I will keep checking for FoP just for single FP+ in the hopes that we might pick up the 3 we need that way, but so far nothing has turned up.

Today was FP day for us!! I signed on at 6am sharp CST. I immediately started with day 6(I originally thought it was day 5 but it is actually day 6--I cannot count:p) of our trip which is evening AK. I was able to get FP for all 4 of us around 6:45pm for FOP. I then went back to day 2 for our morning AK and there were NO FP for FOP at all that day. I was able to get FP for Navi in the morning around 11am without a problem.

No trouble getting any of our other FPs at the parks. I was sort of annoyed that the ROL FP starts at 8:05pm. That changed the timing of the third FP to end up being a throw away because I could not fit in a FP between FOP and ROL. :sad1:

Wow.....i'm glad I (unknowingly) planned AK for day 4 of our trip instead of earlier in our trip!

FP day is Tuesday!

I think the general consensus for August is rain every day but not for long. I've gone 2x in August and that's how it was for me both times.

It's funny, because before our first Aug. trip in 2014 this is what I heard - rain storms every day. On that trip we had rain 2 days, one shower each day, and neither one lasted longer than 15-20 minutes lol. Then in 2015 we went down during a hurricane and it rained pretty much every day for a little while, sometimes torrential downpours, but we still had plenty of pool and park time. Last Aug. we also only had rain one day out of 4; that day it rained for HOURS. Anyway I think the moral of this story is while daily rain storms can and do happen in August it's not necessarily guaranteed. Our Oct. 2011 trip was our wettest trip ever!

FP day finally came for us!!! I was really surprised at how tough it was. I guess even reading earlier reports I didn't think it would be that hard!!! I have never had any problems booking exact times I wanted at Magic Kingdom 60 days out even for the first day of my vacation. I moved a bunch of times around and am sure we will make it will still be great! I was able to get a FOP FP for one of my AK days. The other we are only staying til midday and the earliest I could get was 6pm. But it is an EMH day and I will get there early and try standby. We did get a FP for NRJ that day instead. I was also surprised I couldn't get an AM safari FP for that day (even trying to separate out our party). Guess we will see all the animals taking naps midday!

ONLY 60 DAYS OUT!!!!! I AM SO EXCITED!!!!

My past trips have been in May - so considering we live in CT I could always start slowly packing super early to help with my excitement.. but now I need to wear all those summer clothes! Guess my 30 day countdown calendar will have to do!

FP day for me was today!! Mission Space wasn't available any day that would work for us. I don't see that it is down for referb at that time so don't know what that is all about. :confused3

Did get everything else and the times I wanted!! Even FOP and Navi!! :cool1:

Today was FP day for me. I was able to get everything we wanted except for a morning FoP on day five of our trip (Tuesday, August 22). There are plenty of times in the afternoon and evening but nothing in the morning. Tried lots of variations. Ended up booking Navi instead. We have a Tusker House PPO ADR that day (at least, it's still PPO for now!) and I'm not sure that will work if we need to rope drop FoP. I'll just keep trying I guess. I'm not excited about trying to rope drop that ride with an 8 and a 6 year old but it is what it is.

Otherwise, things went very smoothly, so can't complain too much

FP day for me was today!! Mission Space wasn't available any day that would work for us. I don't see that it is down for referb at that time so don't know what that is all about. :confused3

Did get everything else and the times I wanted!! Even FOP and Navi!! :cool1:
Yes M:S is down for refurb all of July- supposed to be back up by August but not releasing FP for it yet

Today was FP day for me. I was able to get everything we wanted except for a morning FoP on day five of our trip (Tuesday, August 22). There are plenty of times in the afternoon and evening but nothing in the morning. Tried lots of variations. Ended up booking Navi instead. We have a Tusker House PPO ADR that day (at least, it's still PPO for now!) and I'm not sure that will work if we need to rope drop FoP. I'll just keep trying I guess. I'm not excited about trying to rope drop that ride with an 8 and a 6 year old but it is what it is.

Otherwise, things went very smoothly, so can't complain too much

wow, can't believe there were no morning FoPs on day 5! That is crazy.

My FP day is tomorrow, I cannot wait!!! We are only doing AK at night and on day 4 so hoping I don't have a problem getting FoP !

wow, can't believe there were no morning FoPs on day 5! That is crazy.

My FP day is tomorrow, I cannot wait!!! We are only doing AK at night and on day 4 so hoping I don't have a problem getting FoP !

Hopefully you'll have no trouble–I got an evening FP for FoP on our third day (60+2) with no problems.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter