*****Official April 2020 thread*****

Oooh, two of y'all reminded me about that space restaurant! That would be cool to try for DH's actual b-day. If anyone sees anything about it opening please post on here!

Us too! One more trip before the big guy ages out of being a “kid”, kind of breaks my heart. Just did ADRs and getting super excited for Artist Point! I’m on the watch for Space 220 as well! Do you think Mickey and Minnies Runaway Railway will be up by then too?
I sure hope it's open! I don't want to miss it by a week or two, that would be terrible.

We're going for a whirlwind April 24-27 trip... without our kids! I turn 40 on 4/25, and my handsome hubs, aka Ribs, didn't get to have his planned 40th birthday pig roast, so we're justifying this trip by saying it's a treat for both of us. Our kids will be 8, 6, and almost 3, and they will enjoy a fun-filled long weekend with their grandparents, indulging in late bedtimes and lots of sugar, but still attending school on Friday and Monday.

Our previous family trips were in August 2017 and April 2019, so it feels a little splurgy to go back so soon. It feels extra splurgy to be staying at the Poly (our previous trips were at Art of Animation and Pop Century). ADR day is this coming Sunday, and I think we're set with our starting lineup. Here's our proposed schedule:
Friday 4/24 (arrival day):
Earliest flight Southwest offers, landing at MCO at 8:30am. We'll check out the resort, maybe grab a snack, and head off to Epcot. Lunch at Teppan Edo (his choice) and dinner at Coral Reef (my choice). Snacks in between and after, no doubt.

Saturday, 4/25, mah birfday!
Early breakfast at Tusker House, then Wild Africa Trek. Select AK goodness before resort chillaxin', and Hoop Dee Doo (my favorite thing in Disney World, and for that, I will NOT apologize!) for dinner. Thinking will we head over to Magic Kingdom after, hopefully in time to see fireworks, and hop on whatever rides have the shortest waits. And, probably eat snacks.

Sunday 4/26
Hoping this ends up being a Early Morning Magic opportunity, and if so, we'll do that. Lunch is Ribs' choice, and he's picking Liberty Tree Tavern since he loves Thanksgiving food. Dinner is Storybook Dining at Artist Point, if we can get it. I'm very excited about that one!!

Monday 4/27, departure day
We WERE going to do lunch at Hollywood Brown Derby, since it was 1 credit for lunch on the 2020 DxDDP, but apparently that's changed in the last couple of weeks. I don't want to pay for any of these meals out of pocket, since we're splurging on that deluxe plan, so we're dropping the idea of HBD and just going with 50s Prime Time. I love the shtick. For dinner, we're going for 'Ohana, since it's at our resort and we don't want to be rushing through our meal to get back. Our departure flight doesn't leave until 10:30pm, so we'll have time.

We'll see how many changes I end up making in the next 5-6 months...

Aaaaaaand, the changes begin! We couldn't get 'Ohana for a decent time on our departure day (9:00pm was all they had available, but we took it anyway, just as a bookmark), so I put in a reservation finder with TP and figured we'd hope to get lucky. And if it didn't work out, it didn't work out. Buuuuuuut, then Ribs and I started discussing, and we realized that the day after we come back is our state's primary election day, which means schools are closed AND since we're both teachers, we don't have to work. What if... we just added an extra night onto the trip and came home Tuesday morning instead of insane o'clock Monday night?

So, of course we did! So Monday, we will still be checking out of the Poly and spending our final day in the park, but we will get to have that late dinner at 'Ohana, and then spend the night at Pop Century. No park tickets or meal plan, but it will be nice to have a relaxed exit. Our previous plan had us taking a flight that got in at 12:30am, which wouldn't be an issue for us, but we weren't going to be picking up our kids from their grandparents' that night anyway. So this way, we'll be picking up the kids at roughly the same time, and we'll get a decent night's sleep and still have a fun full day on Monday. I'm not a huge fan of going back to work the day directly after a vacation, but it'll be Wednesday, so we can get through three days! I booked our flights yesterday as soon as the window opened on Southwest, and the Tuesday flight is actually cheaper (so we pretty much HAD to do it, right??), so for the cost of a couple of tanks of gas, we're getting an extra night!

We got all of the ADRs we wanted, too. So here's our new plan:
Friday 4/24: Land at MCO at 9:50am (early early flight was already sold out, d'oh!), head to Epcot. Lunch at Teppan Edo and dinner at Coral Reef, both new restaurants to us.
Saturday 4/25: Breakfast at Tusker House, hopefully Wild Africa Trek right after (not open for booking yet), explore AK and relax at the Poly, then Hoop Dee Doo at 6:15 and over to MK for whatever we can get in.
Sunday 4/26: Early Morning Magic Fantasyland! Very excited that I nabbed this. We have lunch at Liberty Tree Tavern and dinner at Storybook Dining at Artist Point. It's going to be a great day! (well, they all are...)
Monday 4/27, NOT departure day: Hollywood Studios, mostly Toy Story stuff and general browsing/people watching. Ribs wants to do the Galaxy's Edge stuff, so we'll try, but he's not going to be devastated if it doesn't work out. Lunch is 50s Prime Time, and we'll fill in the space before dinner. Maybe a quick trip to Disney Springs? We'll see. Dinner is late, at 'Ohana. Check in to Pop Century at some point.
Tuesday 4/28, new departure day: So sad, but I know we'll be happy that we added the night and will feel grateful that we got extra time. Maybe breakfast at the food court or in the room. Check out and leave, flight departs at 10:30.

Now we redo our touring schedule and hopeful FP+s a million times and wait for February!

Us too! One more trip before the big guy ages out of being a “kid”, kind of breaks my heart. Just did ADRs and getting super excited for Artist Point! I’m on the watch for Space 220 as well! Do you think Mickey and Minnies Runaway Railway will be up by then too?

Isn't it sad? I feel like they were just babies.

I'm super excited about Artist Point. We didn't get a great time, but was happy to get in.

I'm definitely hoping the Runaway Railway will be open! We missed Toy Story land last trip by a week or so, they were doing previews. It was so sad to be so close but so far.

I'm definitely hoping the Runaway Railway will be open!

fingers crossed its open in April.
last trip for a long time I think for my family. Big Thunder is rumored to be closed during out trip. My 9 year old grand daughter was too small to ride it in 2013, November 2016 it was closed for refurb. Feels like she may never have a chance to ride it. :mad::mad:

I just made my ADRs today. We're doing the dining plan and I definitely am hoping to get our moneys worth. We're eating breakfast in our room with packed food.

Day 1 Drive over from Universal and do Epcot
I'm hoping to eat around the world with snacks and a couple quick service meals for lunch.
Dinner Askerhus at 5:05
My dad is going to watch our kids that night. So we're going to go back and get our room (will check that morning).
We have a reservation for Oga's at 8:15. Is there enough time to eat at Askerhus return to Pop then get to Hollywood Studios in time? I was hoping for something later but no luck.

Day 2 Magic Kingdom and Hollywood Studios
BOG at 12:40. Dinner at Hollywood and Vine at 6:30.

Day 3 rest day
Paradiso at 11:30 and 1900 at 5:40

Day 4
Planning to do quick meals. Doing Hollywood Studios and Animal Kingdom.

Day 5
Magic Kingdom and Epcot
Lunch will be quick service and dinner at Teppin Edo at 6:30

Next day we will get breakfast and drive home. Planning to use any remaining meals/snacks for breakfast.

Booked our flights last night! Nothing left to do except FP+ and that is months away. Happy to know what the trip is going to cost us.

Has anyone noticed the special event after hours going into May 2020 now? I think just a few days ago it went through March...….
AK and MK, no DHS yet. Two of the days during our April trip there is an after hours available for AK and MK. I will have to be sold hard on this though, I tend to get cheap about total expense of the trip. I'd rather the hours for MK go late 11pm/12pm, and AK, meh, don't really care for after hours.

https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/tickets/events/

Has anyone noticed the special event after hours going into May 2020 now? I think just a few days ago it went through March...….
AK and MK, no DHS yet. Two of the days during our April trip there is an after hours available for AK and MK. I will have to be sold hard on this though, I tend to get cheap about total expense of the trip. I'd rather the hours for MK go late 11pm/12pm, and AK, meh, don't really care for after hours.

YES. I did DAH on my April 2019 trip (a Thursday) and loved it. Dead park, played SOTMK with no one around, etc. I was really bummed when I saw that my week only had a VAH on the Friday I was leaving. Then, bam, I open Disboards today and regular DAH my week! I'm absolutey buying a ticket for 4/27. It's a bit odd timing because that's my first full park day, but whatever. I'll rearrange my schedule, sleep in instead of doing early morning Epcot, and have a blast at DAH!

I know, I read this elsewhere on rumors and am NOT happy it's one of our favorite rides.

It's one of my favorite rides too, and it's historically been my 'last ride' the night before I leave. I always say a little "thank you" going up the lift hill for a great vacation. I guess I'll have to do it from somewhere else this trip!

So far the after hours weren't on days that I was planning on doing those parks. My younger kids typically go to bed at 7:30 and while they will stay up later at Disney not late enough for after hours to be worth it for us. Do they still do fireworks before the event starts?

Hey everyone!
Just wanted to pop on and start chatting with y'all! Me and my DBF will be there April 5th - 10th!! We are staying at the poly and I can't wait to share that with my DBF. He's been to Disney but has never stayed on property. To say we are both psyched is an understatement!
Looking forward to planning with everyone :cutie:

Hi all! We are going to be traveling March 29- April 4 so straddling both months. We are huge Star wars fans, and this will be our first visit to galaxy's edge. We are planning to do some hopping to get in several visits. We are a family of 3, me, DH, and DD16 who have been to Disney a lot over the past decade.

Anyone else planning to do Villains After Hours? We have done regular after hours a couple of times and really enjoyed it. We are Villians fans and excited for that theme I am hoping since there are 2 after hours offered per week, they will not be as crowed as some of the villains dates over the summer.

We are also hoping for Space220 to be open and taking reservations.

I went ahead and booked the MK after hours event. I'm surprised I did because I don't like to do extras usually, but have been doing reading on it and reconsidering the last spring break trip and how that went with lines, decided to go for it. Excited to try it, though. Hope it'll be worthwhile, free up some time for other parks and things to do, and as far as cost, I'll admit to have a hard time seeing past that :crazy2:

Joining in on the April countdown! DH and I will be at Yacht Club garden view April 19-26, celebrating my 1st retirement (after 22 years with the same company) and DH's 42nd birthday! I thought it was perfect since both happen to fall in the same week. It will be our 2nd trip without the kids- first was in Jan. for our 22nd anniversary. We're most looking forward to being close to Epcot for Flower & Garden and DHS for Star Wars land.

One thing we liked about the "two of us" trip was being more spontaneous. We've been with our kids starting at almost 2 and almost 6, I went as a chaperone on DS2's high school band trip, we've been twice with the boys and their girlfriends, and it's hard work planning and making sure everyone is happy and gets to do what they want. By now the two of us know what we like and can plan a little less if it's just us.

I made adr's last week but not too many. Even though we'll be there on DH's actual birthday, all he said he definitely wants to do is ride Haunted Mansion and Pirates and eat a Dole Whip! It'll be our last park day so we'll likely just wing it and hit everything we missed or want to do again since we have hoppers.

So far the plan is...

Arrival Day:
breakfast at home, load up vehicle, drive 4 hours to Jacksonville
lunch at Whataburger (being from Texas and now living in South Carolina where there are none, this has become a tradition)
arrive at YC around 3:00 and check in
pop over to a park to activate our military salute tickets
dinner at Ale & Compass (new)

Park day 1:
breakfast at Boma- DH's request
AK day
lunch at Satuli Canteen (new)
dinner at Restaurantosaurus if they're still doing the burger and dessert meal (new) or Flame Tree

Park day 2:
breakfast at Beach Club Market Place on our way to walking to Epcot
Epcot day
lunch and dinner will be eating at all the food booths for Flower & Garden (only been once in 2016)

Park day 3:
breakfast ppo at Plaza
MK day
lunch at Sleepy Hollow (DH hasn't tried the chicken waffle sandwich but I did on the band trip and have been wanting one ever since...)
dinner at Pecos Bill's

Down day:
breakfast at Ale & Compass (new)
relaxing at the resort and definitely Stormalong Bay
lunch at Beaches & Cream or Hurricane Hannah's (both new)
evening at DS
dinner at The Edison (new)

Park day 4:
breakfast at Boardwalk Bakery on our way to DHS
DHS day
lunch at Sci-Fi (DH's request)
dinner at Woody's (new)

Park day 5 (DH's b-day):
totally winging it!

Departure day:
breakfast at Market @ Ale & Compass
pack up and hit the road so we're not up too late since we'll be back to work the next day
We will be there the same day and having dinner at Ale and Compass too! Congrats on all of your celebrations!

Question for all of you, do you think park hoppers are a must have? We are Disneyland people and always get park hoppers there and we will have a car in WDW but I’m having a hard time wrapping my head around driving everywhere and if it’s really worth the time. Anyone have any advice on that and if it’s a must have? For our family of 6 it’s definitely more of a cost to have. Also do most people use EMH? Or do you skip them? Sorry I’m really new to WDW and the choices are mind boggling!! Thanks!

Just changed our dates from May to the last week in April!!!

Question for all of you, do you think park hoppers are a must have? We are Disneyland people and always get park hoppers there and we will have a car in WDW but I’m having a hard time wrapping my head around driving everywhere and if it’s really worth the time. Anyone have any advice on that and if it’s a must have? For our family of 6 it’s definitely more of a cost to have. Also do most people use EMH? Or do you skip them? Sorry I’m really new to WDW and the choices are mind boggling!! Thanks!
That's ok, when we make it back to DL, I'll have a learning curve there and will be reading up on it and asking questions if needed. Here's my perspective, from a non AP holder, visiting once a year, or once every two years, with kids, on property (including SOG here), and our trips have been about 7 days (with 4 park days):

We always get park hoppers, just so we have flexibility to go to a different park later in the day or evening if we feel like it, or to go back and ride something again which we like to do. We also like to go to all the parks while there. Our park hoppers are a pretty decent rate though (Salute tickets) compared to buying other WDW tickets we could get, and considering our parks plan. We also stay on property or Shades of Green, so we don't use our car for going to the parks. We fly due to distance from parks, and usually don't rent a car, but have had a rental there twice because we were doing other things (Kennedy Space Center, Jacksonville, etc. on those other occasions). I'd say take a look at your overall length of stay, where you're staying, transportation options, your preferences and your party's preference on what you'd like to do and what parks those things are at, hours in the parks, other local area plans, and that can be a starting point on your decision on park hoppers.

On EMH, yes it seems pretty popular. We don't do much with EMH anymore, but just for the reason that we tend to stay in the parks later in the evening and my kids are harder to wake up earlier as they get older. We like the evening ones, though. If we skip the early hours, we still have rope dropped the parks at opening, for those parks without the early hours.

That's ok, when we make it back to DL, I'll have a learning curve there and will be reading up on it and asking questions if needed. Here's my perspective, from a non AP holder, visiting once a year, or once every two years, with kids, on property (including SOG here), and our trips have been about 7 days (with 4 park days):

We always get park hoppers, just so we have flexibility to go to a different park later in the day or evening if we feel like it, or to go back and ride something again which we like to do. We also like to go to all the parks while there. Our park hoppers are a pretty decent rate though (Salute tickets) compared to buying other WDW tickets we could get, and considering our parks plan. We also stay on property or Shades of Green, so we don't use our car for going to the parks. We fly due to distance from parks, and usually don't rent a car, but have had a rental there twice because we were doing other things (Kennedy Space Center, Jacksonville, etc. on those other occasions). I'd say take a look at your overall length of stay, where you're staying, transportation options, your preferences and your party's preference on what you'd like to do and what parks those things are at, hours in the parks, other local area plans, and that can be a starting point on your decision on park hoppers.

On EMH, yes it seems pretty popular. We don't do much with EMH anymore, but just for the reason that we tend to stay in the parks later in the evening and my kids are harder to wake up earlier as they get older. We like the evening ones, though. If we skip the early hours, we still have rope dropped the parks at opening, for those parks without the early hours.

Thank you very much! This is helpful. The hours seem so short during the week we are there, so I was curious how it would all work out. We are staying on property so that will help, and I think I agree with you on skipping EMH, esp with teens and also with the time change. It might work out better for us to just not do that the week we are there. Thank you again for your help.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!