Official 2020 Star Wars Rival Run Weekend - CANCELED

just saw i have to put a time in by end of jan for early start group in the half race . the only race between then and now in my area is in 2 weeks and I havent been training (coming into summer in Australia so not many run options ) . I think a sub 54min 10k should be easy enough for me but sub 50min is going to hurt

Ok for all Star Wars fans; I am not entirely sure if I'm running the Star Wars race yet, because I'm still in the "I will never run Disney again" mode. But I do still want to. One thing - I have only seen parts of the movies and none recent. I'm so confused as to the "order" to watch them.

What would you all recommend? I do own a bunch of them, but again - nothing new yet.

So your favorite order? Thank you so much!

Ok for all Star Wars fans; I am not entirely sure if I'm running the Star Wars race yet, because I'm still in the "I will never run Disney again" mode. But I do still want to. One thing - I have only seen parts of the movies and none recent. I'm so confused as to the "order" to watch them.

What would you all recommend? I do own a bunch of them, but again - nothing new yet.

There's plenty of debate on this but I think order of release is the way to go. You lose some of the surprise in the original trilogy if you watch the prequels first, and the original three are pretty well beloved.

I am "of a certain age" and prefer to watch the first and second trilogies in order of release date, so:
IV, V, VI, I, II, III. After that, I like to go Rogue One, VII, VIII, Solo.

My son is 17 and feels the proper order is:
I, II, III, Solo, Rogue One, IV, V,VI, VII, VIII to more or less follow the SW universe timeline. I'm slowly coming around to his way of thinking, and it's my recommendation for newer viewers.

We do not watch the SW Holiday Special. Ever. :rotfl:

There's plenty of debate on this but I think order of release is the way to go. You lose some of the surprise in the original trilogy if you watch the prequels first, and the original three are pretty well beloved.
I am "of a certain age" and prefer to watch the first and second trilogies in order of release date, so:
IV, V, VI, I, II, III. After that, I like to go Rogue One, VII, VIII, Solo.

My son is 17 and feels the proper order is:
I, II, III, Solo, Rogue One, IV, V,VI, VII, VIII to more or less follow the SW universe timeline. I'm slowly coming around to his way of thinking, and it's my recommendation for newer viewers.

Thank you both!!

Not quite related to SW but just saw the Princess Weekend medals and boy whoever has been designing the medals lately has been knocking it out of the park.

(I expect the designs for Rival Run to be out in January)

In these cases for new viewers or been a very long time since they've seen it viewers, I prefer something called the flashback order.

Star Wars A New Hope (Episode IV)
The Empire Strikes Back (Episode VI)
The Phantom Menace (Episode I)
Attack of the Clones (Episode II)
Revenge of the Sith (Episode III)
Return of the Jedi (Episode VI)
The Force Awakens (Episode VII)
The Last Jedi (Episode VIII)
I like the flashback order because it preserves the biggest revelation of the original trilogy if you don't know what it is and then allows you to learn how Darth Vader became Darth Vader.

I fully acknowledge that Rogue One is tricky to place in the flashback order. I suppose you could start with it or just watch it after the fact. Solo goes wherever because it's so unrelated to the Skywalker saga for the most part. And I really love Rogue One and enjoyed Solo quite a bit.
I think watching that thing took 10 years off my life. In case anyone is possessed with a desire to watch it remember this key fact: It is nowhere near as awful, bad, excruciatingly painful to watch as everyone says it is. It is, in actuality, much worse than everyone says it is.

In these cases for new viewers or been a very long time since they've seen it viewers, I prefer something called the flashback order.

Star Wars A New Hope (Episode IV)
The Empire Strikes Back (Episode VI)
The Phantom Menace (Episode I)
Attack of the Clones (Episode II)
Revenge of the Sith (Episode III)
Return of the Jedi (Episode VI)
The Force Awakens (Episode VII)
The Last Jedi (Episode VIII)
I like the flashback order because it preserves the biggest revelation of the original trilogy if you don't know what it is and then allows you to learn how Darth Vader became Darth Vader.

I fully acknowledge that Rogue One is tricky to place in the flashback order. I suppose you could start with it or just watch it after the fact. Solo goes wherever because it's so unrelated to the Skywalker saga for the most part. And I really love Rogue One and enjoyed Solo quite a bit.
I think watching that thing took 10 years off my life. In case anyone is possessed with a desire to watch it remember this key fact: It is nowhere near as awful, bad, excruciatingly painful to watch as everyone says it is. It is, in actuality, much worse than everyone says it is.

Ah crap I got my orders mixed up

This is actually correct way, my bad!

Having run a few races with a toy lightsabers, here are my thoughts on doing so.

1. The collapsible blade toy lightsabers are best for races as long as they have a belt loop. You can hook them to your running belt and they don't cause too much hassle. Works great for photos and can be quickly collapsed back into the hilt for easy carrying.

2. I ran one race with a toy lightsaber with the blade permanently attached. While it's light up quality is great for photos, my arm certainly started to feel the strain of constantly having to carry that around with me. I ran the one 10K with it and have not done so since. I would certainly not run a half with it, but may consider a 5K depending on how dark it is outside and ultimately the course.

3. I cannot begin to even imagine running a 5K with the custom built ones from Savi's (or even the Force FX/Master Replicas ones). The weight on the Savi's lightsabers is not something I want to deal with at all during a race even a 5K.

If you're really set on nice pictures with a light up blade, I would spend the $40 for the toy lightsabers sold in the parks. I bought a couple of those so my nephews could have lightsabers to play with in Galaxay's Edge after I built my own and the photos of the toy lightsabers turned out great.
Ummm. Wasn't a toy lightsaber I was talking about...

Ummm. Wasn't a toy lightsaber I was talking about...
I figured that. I would most definitely not want to run any race with one of those Savi's lightsabers. Toy lightsabers with non collapsible blades present their own set of running challenges and they weight a whole lot less than the ones from Savi's. I only ran one race with a toy lightsaber featuring a non collapsible blade. I have not done it since, nor will I do so because that was enough.

So, I'm going to be joining you guys for the Star Wars Challenge. Room booked (yikes, those DVC point amounts!), collapsible lightsaber picked up at good will, and some of my friends have even been recruited as spectators for the trip.

I told them the price of the trip is cooling cloths at Boardwalk during the half since those temperatures seem a bit crazy to run in!

Out of curiosity, since I've always run and haven't looked into volunteering, do they still give out free park tickets to the volunteers? My friends definitely won't be running, but that is something they might be interested in.

So, I'm going to be joining you guys for the Star Wars Challenge. Room booked (yikes, those DVC point amounts!), collapsible lightsaber picked up at good will, and some of my friends have even been recruited as spectators for the trip.

I told them the price of the trip is cooling cloths at Boardwalk during the half since those temperatures seem a bit crazy to run in!

Out of curiosity, since I've always run and haven't looked into volunteering, do they still give out free park tickets to the volunteers? My friends definitely won't be running, but that is something they might be interested in.
It's funny, runDisney recently wrote a post about volunteering, yet there's no mention about tickets. Dug around (bc I didn't know they actually did this) and found an oldish (2015) link about the process. At that time apparently you needed to put in 16 hours of volunteer work to get a ticket and the ticket is mailed well after your shifts. Would seem that this is mainly for locals.

I figured that. I would most definitely not want to run any race with one of those Savi's lightsabers. Toy lightsabers with non collapsible blades present their own set of running challenges and they weight a whole lot less than the ones from Savi's. I only ran one race with a toy lightsaber featuring a non collapsible blade. I have not done it since, nor will I do so because that was enough.
I probably won't. I'm tempted to make my wife come along on this race (I generally let her sleep) and carry the thing so I can have it for my official picture. Because I'm an idiot that way. :)

I am confused. The main page to the Rival Run says that 10K memberships are available, but when I click on it, the next page says there aren't any available. Bwha?

My DVC waitlist to switch to a Value Studio at AKL went through! I'm shocked it did but I'm going to enjoy the points being saved on such a high point value weekend!

I can’t believe it, my 2 BR value went thru, got the notice last night. Unheard of, but we’ll take it.

I can’t believe it, my 2 BR value went thru, got the notice last night. Unheard of, but we’ll take it.
I think with the refurbishment, they are finishing earlier than planned and are opening some rooms up for booking.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!