Official 2020 Star Wars Rival Run Weekend - CANCELED

Isn't Star Wars weekend the most expensive (and most crowded) of the the runDisney weekends? If so, that could also be a deciding factor and part of the reason that it doesn't sell out as quickly. I think Marathon Weekend can also be expensive and crowded in certain years when the weekend falls earlier in January (i.e. folks are still on winter break).
I always thought wine and Dine was most expensive cause of afterparty

SW falls near the Spring Break peak season and thus, yep - resort prices are among the highest of the year.

SW has a more limited appeal than other race weekends due to its theme.

It's HOT down here in April. Not as hot as May through Oct., but almost always significantly hotter than Marathon and PHM weekends, and often hotter than W&D.

I think all of those issues factor into SW maybe not seeming as popular as other race weekends. But you also have to consider that races selling out at all, let alone quickly, is only a fairly recent phenomenon. In 2012, I registered for the PHM 5K only a month before the race.

SW falls near the Spring Break peak season and thus, yep - resort prices are among the highest of the year.

SW has a more limited appeal than other race weekends due to its theme.

It's HOT down here in April. Not as hot as May through Oct., but almost always significantly hotter than Marathon and PHM weekends, and often hotter than W&D.

I think all of those issues factor into SW maybe not seeming as popular as other race weekends. But you also have to consider that races selling out at all, let alone quickly, is only a fairly recent phenomenon. In 2012, I registered for the PHM 5K only a month before the race.

I think the temperature is hit or miss with April and Nov is a crap shoot...

BUT - your point about sellouts is so true! 5-8 Years ago we even got highly discounted tickets to run in these Disney races!!! (Can’t remember when that stopped but I definitely remember them!!!)

I think the temperature is hit or miss with April and Nov is a crap shoot...

BUT - your point about sellouts is so true! 5-8 Years ago we even got highly discounted tickets to run in these Disney races!!! (Can’t remember when that stopped but I definitely remember them!!!)

In 2011, finishers of the marathon were given free park admission on the Monday after the race. All you had to do was show your finisher medal at the ticket booth of any park and you walked in for free.

I'm really kicking myself--I signed up for the 5K and after dithering for a month decided I'd try my first 10K. And due to this and that, I didn't sign up in time. Booger.

I keep glancing at my lightsaber and wondering how on earth I'd manage it during the 5K...

The 10k and other races will Likely open up again... keep watching

I keep glancing at my lightsaber and wondering how on earth I'd manage it during the 5K...
Having run a few races with a toy lightsabers, here are my thoughts on doing so.

1. The collapsible blade toy lightsabers are best for races as long as they have a belt loop. You can hook them to your running belt and they don't cause too much hassle. Works great for photos and can be quickly collapsed back into the hilt for easy carrying.

2. I ran one race with a toy lightsaber with the blade permanently attached. While it's light up quality is great for photos, my arm certainly started to feel the strain of constantly having to carry that around with me. I ran the one 10K with it and have not done so since. I would certainly not run a half with it, but may consider a 5K depending on how dark it is outside and ultimately the course.

3. I cannot begin to even imagine running a 5K with the custom built ones from Savi's (or even the Force FX/Master Replicas ones). The weight on the Savi's lightsabers is not something I want to deal with at all during a race even a 5K.

If you're really set on nice pictures with a light up blade, I would spend the $40 for the toy lightsabers sold in the parks. I bought a couple of those so my nephews could have lightsabers to play with in Galaxay's Edge after I built my own and the photos of the toy lightsabers turned out great.

I've done the 5K and 10K with a lightsaber and totally agree with @Sleepless Knight's points. I have two cheap, collapsible lightsabers - one stuck in the full, open position and one that still collapses properly, and I've run with both... the one that still actually collapses is much preferred! So easy to give it a quick shake to extend when I see photogs ahead or I'm just playing around with friends. When not actively in use, I either carry it in my hand or tuck it into my running belt (open end up so it won't extend). No way would I chance it with an expensive Savi's saber.

When not actively in use, I either carry it in my hand or tuck it into my running belt (open end up so it won't extend). No way would I chance it with an expensive Savi's saber.
Not to mention that I've managed to drop the toy lightsabers during races on many occasions when I attempt to put it back on my belt. A few scuff marks on a $10 lightsaber just isn't a big deal, but I would worry about damaging the components of the Savi's lightsaber. And again those are quite heavy. When the photopass photographers were doing force pull lightsaber photos, I had them use the toy ones just to save their arms from having to hold the Savi's one and take the photo.

The key to remember when carrying even a lightsaber around for a very long time is how sore is your arm going to get from having to constantly hold it up and/or make sure that you're not accidentally hitting a nearby runner with a non collapsible blade.

If I come in Thursday night will I be able to get my bib Friday morning at the 5k? I can’t come in any earlier.

Any idea when this occurs or should I just check daily?
No idea. I only found out that they did this fairly recently. I would imagine that they open up spots at their discretion, depending on how many challenge spots are unsold and how close they are to selling out the other races. So unfortunately the only options are refreshing the website or keeping an eye here, I think someone usually posts when they notice races open up.

So I booked my flight yesterday. Ooof. I've booked round trip to Orlando for a just a couple more dollars than that one way ticket. But the good news is that my flight should arrive around 5:10pm in Orlando, so I might make the Expo after all on Thursday and not have to rely on emergency bib pickup that may not be there anyways.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts