Official 2020 Star Wars Rival Run Weekend - CANCELED

Do you guys usually book any sort of breakfast ADR for after the race? Doin first 10k, and not sure what to do after the race (besides eventually take a nap)

Last year was my first 10k and by the time I got back to the resort (POFQ), I was starving. My 71-year old mother mother, God love her, who had gotten up to see me off at the start and then met me at the finish, was also starving. So we stopped at the quick service at the resort on the way back to the room and ate before showering, changing, etc.

For next year, we're staying at AKL. I've convinced my mom that I'm totally okay with her NOT getting up that early so it will be just me going to the race. I've booked an ADR at Boma for 10:30 which should give me plenty of time to get back and showered. I think knowing that a breakfast buffet is waiting for me will help ward off the "I'm starving" feeling...that and the snack box at the finish line. LOL

We are staying at AKLV-J so we are planning to hit Boma after a shower... but we will finalize plans once course maps are out...

I just hope that maps are out before FP.

We are DVC and will be arriving on Wednesday so we are going to have to make some decisions on what tickets to use because we can’t use our AP vouchers...we have some old non expiring ones we might use I guess...I will definitely be watching to see if they open up restrictions on APs..

Course maps will most likely not be released until the event guide comes out a couple of weeks before the race weekend. If you need to estimate before then, I'd suggest using the Wine & Dine course maps from this coming weekend as a best guess.

Last year was my first 10k and by the time I got back to the resort (POFQ), I was starving. My 71-year old mother mother, God love her, who had gotten up to see me off at the start and then met me at the finish, was also starving. So we stopped at the quick service at the resort on the way back to the room and ate before showering, changing, etc.

For next year, we're staying at AKL. I've convinced my mom that I'm totally okay with her NOT getting up that early so it will be just me going to the race. I've booked an ADR at Boma for 10:30 which should give me plenty of time to get back and showered. I think knowing that a breakfast buffet is waiting for me will help ward off the "I'm starving" feeling...that and the snack box at the finish line. LOL

I was leaning toward Boma as well, but we do have a res for Sanna that night, so not sure I wanna do both. Or Grand Floridan Cafe. The hard part was figuring out a time to make it, to give us enough time to finish the race, get back to our room, and shower up

The hard part was figuring out a time to make it, to give us enough time to finish the race, get back to our room, and shower up

Yep, me too. I checked my pictures from this year and I was on the bus with my medal by 8:30. And I started in the last wave of the last corral and got passed by the balloon ladies in Epcot, so by no means a fast finisher. LOL By 10:30, I was already napping in my room so I figured it would be a safe time for breakfast. And next year's race is going to go much better for me (she says confidently) but I wanted to build in some time for character photos after the finish. (Couldn't find them this year but admittedly was too tired to really look!)

Do you guys usually book any sort of breakfast ADR for after the race? Doin first 10k, and not sure what to do after the race (besides eventually take a nap)
Not I. Firstly because I don't like restaurants for breakfast: I always travel with my own breakfast items. As far as races go, I just want to chill in my room for a while post-race, so I'll eat there, shower, stretch, foam roll, sit for a while reading or watching TV. I usually head back out for lunch, or after the final race of a race weekend not until late afternoon.

I never do a breakfast ADR. I like to have time after the race to take photos and enjoy the post-race atmosphere without ADR time pressure. I will eat post-race bananas while standing around for photos. Then I bus to the resort, clean up, and go to a park for a lunch ADR.

I also don't like to nap, I like to keep my legs moving to help fend off soreness (and because there's too much fun stuff to do!)!

My DD and I have signed up for the Star Wars 5K and Half as our first Run Disney event. I know we need to pick up our bibs on Thursday. I am trying to determine if we could arrive on Thursday or if we should fly down Wednesday night. How late is the Expo open to pick up bibs? Are Disney buses readily available to get from the resorts to the Expo and back?

If we decide to arrive on Thursday what would be the latest anyone would suggest to fly into Orlando to be able to get to WDW via MDE and pick up bibs?

Thanks for any info.

My DD and I have signed up for the Star Wars 5K and Half as our first Run Disney event. I know we need to pick up our bibs on Thursday. I am trying to determine if we could arrive on Thursday or if we should fly down Wednesday night. How late is the Expo open to pick up bibs? Are Disney buses readily available to get from the resorts to the Expo and back?
I'm local and don't fly in, so I can't help with airport/travel timing, but per rD's website, the expo will be open until 8pm Thursday. And yes, each WDW resort will have dedicated buses running to and from the expo throughout expo hours.

I don't want to speak too soon but I'm surprised these races haven't sold out. I'm really considering running the challenge and my husband might too. We are doing our first Disney race and first half for wine and dine this weekend and are waiting to see how we feel after to decide. I hope those races are still open by the end of this weekend because we might join!

I went ahead and booked an ADR at Boma at 1015 just in case. May end up canceling, but we'll see.

I can't wait.

The training for it though, not so much.

While it's definitely possible to book a breakfast ADR after a race, just know what you're getting yourself into. You may be scrambling to get from your resort to the park/restaurant in question. If you like to decompress after a race, then a post race breakfast ADR may not be the best idea.

A post race breakfast from the resort food court can sometimes be the best option because it's right there if you're staying on property ane eliminates the need to worry about making it to an ADR or having to wait for a later ADR if you're ready to eat right then and there.

While it's definitely possible to book a breakfast ADR after a race, just know what you're getting yourself into. You may be scrambling to get from your resort to the park/restaurant in question. If you like to decompress after a race, then a post race breakfast ADR may not be the best idea.

A post race breakfast from the resort food court can sometimes be the best option because it's right there if you're staying on property ane eliminates the need to worry about making it to an ADR or having to wait for a later ADR if you're ready to eat right then and there.

Ya I get that. I think part of it is though I have never eaten at a table service/buffet place on property before (and I'm an AP local lol). So with friends coming down and being 5 of us, wanted to use the opportunity as well

But since we're staying in AoA, we might just do food court

I don't want to speak too soon but I'm surprised these races haven't sold out. I'm really considering running the challenge and my husband might too. We are doing our first Disney race and first half for wine and dine this weekend and are waiting to see how we feel after to decide. I hope those races are still open by the end of this weekend because we might join!

This race weekend hasn’t sold very well pretty much since the inaugural year. If I remember correctly, there were bibs available for some races as late as the Expo this year. I don’t think the lack of a sell out at this point is unexpected or surprising.

Ya I get that. I think part of it is though I have never eaten at a table service/buffet place on property before (and I'm an AP local lol). So with friends coming down and being 5 of us, wanted to use the opportunity as well

But since we're staying in AoA, we might just do food court
I always say that I would love to have a nice sit down breakfast in a Disney park when I'm there and then I rarely do. I always say I will have one day in Disney World where I don't go the parks and just relax around my resort. Even on the day of the 2012 Wine & Dine Half (which started at 10:00pm), I found myself going stir crazy in my hotel room and went to the park anyways to distract myself.

My first post race breakfast ADR involved needing to go from the post race area at Epcot to French Quarter to shower, and then get to the MK for a 9:35 ADR for two runners. I think we had between 90 minutes and 2 hours to pull this off. And somehow we did. The next time I opted to skip an ADR to avoid the scramble after a race, but then I couldn't find anything for breakfast that sounded good when I was ready for breakfast. So my best advice to those wanting a breakfast ADR post race and shower is to give yourself more time than you think. In my 90 minute to 2 hour window, we needed to hit bus just perfectly. Can't always count on that.

This race weekend hasn’t sold very well pretty much since the inaugural year. If I remember correctly, there were bibs available for some races as late as the Expo this year. I don’t think the lack of a sell out at this point is unexpected or surprising.
I wonder if the April time frame plays a factor. Between spring break and Easter for those who celebrate, many may not be in a position to take more time off. For myself, April is a terrible time to run a race period, but especially at Disney World because of the cross country flight to get there.

If not for the Star Wars theme, I would not register for it. So I wonder if the timing turns it into a bucket list type of race for many as opposed to a repeat runner kind of race. I feel extremely fortunate to have run 3 Star Wars race weekends at Disney World after next year. And yet each time I run the race weekend, I wonder if it will be the last time I get to do so. Honestly, I think the anniversary year pushed me into doing it in 2020.

Gotcha.... I wonder if it's too hot? Hubby is a huge star wars fan and I have convinced him, as a "non runner"to run the wine and dine, so I'm considering doing this one for him so he can get a millennium falcon medal 🤣. We'll see! Good luck in training everyone!

Gotcha.... I wonder if it's too hot? Hubby is a huge star wars fan and I have convinced him, as a "non runner"to run the wine and dine, so I'm considering doing this one for him so he can get a millennium falcon medal 🤣. We'll see! Good luck in training everyone!

We travel during April and Oct/Nov most years. April is cooler and less humid than our November trips! We have had less humid November trips but not as many and several 90+ days!

just a heads up but they have been updating after hours events this week all the way to june . they have added a villains one at MK on friday 17th 10pm-1am (maybe you could head straight to 10km start :p ) . normal after hours at MK monday 13th and 20th 10pm-1am . after hours at AK tues 14th and wed 22nd 9pm-midnight . im hoping they add ones for Hollywood soon

Last edited:

Isn't Star Wars weekend the most expensive (and most crowded) of the the runDisney weekends? If so, that could also be a deciding factor and part of the reason that it doesn't sell out as quickly. I think Marathon Weekend can also be expensive and crowded in certain years when the weekend falls earlier in January (i.e. folks are still on winter break).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!