Official 2020 Star Wars Rival Run Weekend - CANCELED

Sorry for the delays on the group stuff - it's taking the new Group Getaways rep an average of 7 business days to return a simple email or phone call, and even longer than that to get stuff to IT.

The Star Wars group block rates aren't ... well, they're not real great.

Pop Century is $161 + taxes & fees/night (that's $180.13).
Caribbean Beach is $291 + taxes & fees/night ($327.38) - and these are all 5th sleeper rooms.

Pop is slightly cheaper than our Princess group rate, but anything not Pop is (my opinion) ridiculously priced.

I have to have 10 people committed to these rates to make them work, because I have to put a credit card down to guarantee them all on a Master Account.

Thoughts?

forgive me for this question if it's been answered. are you booking for single rooms @Keels or are people also signing up to be roomies?

Yes! Yes! Yes! The only thing I would've liked a little better, maybe was some way to feature the Imperial Star Destroyer. They maybe could've paired it with the Tantive IV? Regardless, I'm stoked by the return to favor of the ships.

I can't remember right off hand whether they physically dueled directly, but Ahsoka and Darth Maul crossed paths in Star Wars Rebels with Maul trying to surreptitiously lead Ezra down a darker path while Ahsoka worked to keep him focused on the light. While it is a less obvious character, I see it as a nice way to test out insertion of a major but non-cinematic character into the mix. The 5k is a good, low-risk place to experiment. As I said, it's got me thinking about adding the 5k now.

The last 2-3 race weekends have felt extremely focused on the new movies. Understandably so, but I find the return to the original trilogy for the majority of the medals to be refreshing and exciting.

Also, buried at the end of the article was a snippet that the Kessel Run medal is going to be a redesigned Millennium Falcon, in honor of the 5th anniversary. I'm a little nervous about that one. The current medal is so good, there's a lot of room to mess it up.
Thanks for the reminder on them meeting in Rebels. While I have watched all the episodes of The Clone Wars and Rebels, I don't remember them anywhere near as well as the movies. Honestly, I wish I could transfer my 5K bib because the hassle of getting my bib for that race is now going to be greater than my personal anticipation of the medal itself. It's not because I dislike either character, but more because I would have preferred them going up against someone else they had actually fought against. Now all that said, I understand why Ahsoka fans are very excited. I hope the medal and/or race live up to their hopes.

While I was hoping for a better Rey medal than this year's half medal, I have no problems with heavy emphasis on the original trilogy. While I'm one who actually likes all of the Star Wars movies, the original trilogy will always be closest to my Star Wars heart.

I'm not opposed to a redesign of the Falcon medal, but I agree that they need to be careful. A new Falcon medal could be really cool provided they do it right, like a simple reorientation or truly plussing it up for the 5th anniversary. But at the same time don't mess with perfection.

Agh I'm tempted by the Falcon redesign. The existing one is perfect but it's been the same design the whole time there's been a challenge, and hence, I haven't done it since my first.

EDIT: As for the others, they should be solid but after this I kinda hope they nix the "rivals" theme and give themselves some more flexibility.

Last edited:
forgive me for this question if it's been answered. are you booking for single rooms @Keels or are people also signing up to be roomies?
Would guess that this group booking is specifically for basic rooms, and if people want to match up to be roommates for the weekend they can work that out separately.

The Ashoka novel referenced her duel with Maul, which should be in the new season of clone wars. Glad to see they are introducing her into the races, makes me wish I was getting there early enough for the 5k.

Vader vs. Yoda makes no sense... they never faced off against each other. Unless you want to get kind of abstract and think about it in terms of guiding Luke towards the Light vs. his rushing off to face Vader on Bespin...

Now I’m sad I chose the Half instead of the 10k, since Leia’s my girl!

As for the others, they should be solid but after this I kinda hope they nix the "rivals" theme and give themselves some more flexibility.
In my opinion, that hinges entirely on if runDisney returns to Disneyland. I feel like the virtual Kessel Run challenge and Rival Run replacing Dark Side are placeholders until they figure out if races are coming back to Disneyland.

Vader vs. Yoda makes no sense... they never faced off against each other. Unless you want to get kind of abstract and think about it in terms of guiding Luke towards the Light vs. his rushing off to face Vader on Bespin...

Now I’m sad I chose the Half instead of the 10k, since Leia’s my girl!
I think just feels like the year for unusual combinations. We have Ahsoka and Maul, who have yet to actually duel each other in animation, books, or comics and R2-D2 and the jawas in the kids races. The latter two aren't really rivals at all.

While Vader and Yoda have not confronted each other as such, I think this pairing has more to do with it being an anniversary year and thus choosing the iconic light side and dark side characters for the half medal, especially since they probably didn't want to do Luke and Darth Vader again.

I think just feels like the year for unusual combinations. We have Ahsoka and Maul, who have yet to actually duel each other in animation, books, or comics and R2-D2 and the jawas in the kids races. The latter two aren't really rivals at all.

While Vader and Yoda have not confronted each other as such, I think this pairing has more to do with it being an anniversary year and thus choosing the iconic light side and dark side characters for the half medal, especially since they probably didn't want to do Luke and Darth Vader again.

I think we're really overthinking things here. You don't have to physically battle with a lightsaber to duel. Ahsoka and Maul have been in conflict with one another in the Rebels series and Yoda and Vader certainly dueled for the heart and mind of an impressionable young Skywalker in the original trilogy. The Jawas and R2D2 were in conflict with one another during the opening of A New Hope. I give RunDisney plenty of grief for not thinking things through, but I think they've made some interesting but logical choices here.

I give RunDisney plenty of grief for not thinking things through, but I think they've made some interesting but logical choices here.
Fair point. In the end, I just think I would prefer the 5K to be either Darth Maul vs. Qui-Gon or Obi-Wan or Ahsoka vs. Asajj Ventress. I can also see why they might want to test the waters on introducing non movie characters into the medals and thus not do two non movie characters on the medal.

My only minor quibble with Vader and Yoda is that they have done that before back in 2015. At the same time I'm fine with it because they are my respective favorite Light Side and Dark Side characters and I have hopes that they'll do a really cool medal that is different from the 2015 Rebel Challenge Medal. Hopefully make Yoda and Vader much bigger than they were on that 2015 medal.

Sorry for the delays on the group stuff - it's taking the new Group Getaways rep an average of 7 business days to return a simple email or phone call, and even longer than that to get stuff to IT.

The Star Wars group block rates aren't ... well, they're not real great.

Pop Century is $161 + taxes & fees/night (that's $180.13).
Caribbean Beach is $291 + taxes & fees/night ($327.38) - and these are all 5th sleeper rooms.

Pop is slightly cheaper than our Princess group rate, but anything not Pop is (my opinion) ridiculously priced.

I have to have 10 people committed to these rates to make them work, because I have to put a credit card down to guarantee them all on a Master Account.

Thoughts?
I would be in for Pop for 4/15-4/20!

My thoughts:

5K: The reaction to this one will be very interesting. I think it will be very, very split. It's an interesting decision to put a very popular, but also relatively unknown character to most Star Wars fans on a race medal especially opposite Darth Maul, whom I don't think Ahsoka Tano ever confronted in The Clone Wars series although I should be corrected if I'm wrong. As for me, I'm disappointed. I would rather see Maul on a medal with Qui-Gon and/or Obi-Wan as that remains one of the best lightsaber duels in the franchise.

They do officially duel. Clone wars continuation season is set to debut in February, so in time for the run

[/QUOTE]

Sometimes I seriously wonder what RunDisney is thinking. Why on earth would you implement tiered pricing on an event that has not been selling out? As it gets closer to race day you need to entice people to sign up and having a higher price doesn’t help with that.

It’s particularly aggravating because I’m about 80% sure I’m going, but need to sort out a couple more details before pulling the trigger and registering. I guess at this point it’ll be worth waiting for W&D and the probable discount code in the virtual goody bag!

Making tier prices makes a lot of sense for events that dont sell out . Most races and triathlons i know do it . The reason is to try and get as many people to sign up early so they have a good estimate of numbers to organize transport and other logistics. They also get a few people who sign up early but quit so extra cash . If they dont do tiers and you know it wont sell out you can hold off to last the day before and sign up. Then event organizers have to order more stuff with maybe not enough time to get it done .

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!