Official 2020 Star Wars Rival Run Weekend - CANCELED

I am wondering if all the courses won't change to be able to run through Galaxy's Edge. I hope so. My 11 year old son and I are doing the 5K, and then I'm doing the 10K/half. We've never done RunDisney races outside the virtual 5Ks, so this should be fun!
Even if the course does not go through Galaxy's Edge, the course they used for 2017 and 2018 was a really cool course with some fun Star Wars surprises.
That's the big question, and if haven't scanned through the thread already you'll find a lot of discussion on this, apparently it would be a challenge on a few levels to run the course through GE. I'm hopeful but we'll see, unfortunately they prob won't announce the course route until April.

FWIW though, I could be wrong on this but I don't think Disney has had a Hollywood Studios based 5k, they usually run through Epcot and I'm checking some old maps now and a few have run through Animal Kingdom. Anything's possible but it looks like it would be a first for them.
To my way of thinking, the only way the 5K course goes through Galaxy's Edge is if both the 10K and half courses go through Galaxy's Edge. I can't imagine the backlash of only having one course go through Galaxy's Edge especially when that race may be more difficult for travel purposes.

I know they can devise a course that goes through Galaxy's Edge. There have been courses that spent a whole lot more time in DHS than the current races that go through that park. It just depends on what that "cost" is whether it be dropping Animal Kingdom from the half in order to go through Galaxy's Edge or having to move the start back to WWoS and fix the problems from 2016 that resulted in moving the start line to the MK parking lot.

Is the monorail system operating after the 5K? Seeing if we can get back to Polynesian from Epcot for breakfast

Thanks in advance

All the 5Ks are in Epcot/ Epcot parking lot. The Wine and Dine one used to be in AK but they changed this for this year. So the 5k for GE is out.

Sorry for the delays on the group stuff - it's taking the new Group Getaways rep an average of 7 business days to return a simple email or phone call, and even longer than that to get stuff to IT.

The Star Wars group block rates aren't ... well, they're not real great.

Pop Century is $161 + taxes & fees/night (that's $180.13).
Caribbean Beach is $291 + taxes & fees/night ($327.38) - and these are all 5th sleeper rooms.

Pop is slightly cheaper than our Princess group rate, but anything not Pop is (my opinion) ridiculously priced.

I have to have 10 people committed to these rates to make them work, because I have to put a credit card down to guarantee them all on a Master Account.

Thoughts?

well, it is better than the $200 a night at All Stars

edit: @Keels why do you feel like the rates aren't great? Pop Century rack rate online is $250 for a standard room for the dates I'm looking at, Wed 4/15- Sun 4/19. If I knew for certain I was going I'd jump on this

Last edited:
Sorry for the delays on the group stuff - it's taking the new Group Getaways rep an average of 7 business days to return a simple email or phone call, and even longer than that to get stuff to IT.

Caribbean Beach is $291 + taxes & fees/night ($327.38) - and these are all 5th sleeper rooms.

Pop is slightly cheaper than our Princess group rate, but anything not Pop is (my opinion) ridiculously priced.

I have to have 10 people committed to these rates to make them work, because I have to put a credit card down to guarantee them all on a Master Account.

Thoughts?

I'm interested in doing Pop Century. I usually stick with the moderates, but those prices are getting into crazy pants territory. Thanks!

well, it is better than the $200 a night at All Stars

edit: @Keels why do you feel like the rates aren't great? Pop Century rack rate online is $250 for a standard room for the dates I'm looking at, Wed 4/15- Sun 4/19. If I knew for certain I was going I'd jump on this

From my perspective, those rates are terrible compared to historically available rates. Disney has really jacked up the resort rates ridiculously high. It's not about the discount from the rack rate, it's that they've shifted the rack rates to what I consider unreasonable prices. I'm used to being able to get a moderate for $20-25 a night more than that value resort rate.

I apologize for asking but how do the group bookings work? I have a room booked already at Pop from 4/13-4/17 but that rate is considerably cheaper than it.

From my perspective, those rates are terrible compared to historically available rates. Disney has really jacked up the resort rates ridiculously high. It's not about the discount from the rack rate, it's that they've shifted the rack rates to what I consider unreasonable prices. I'm used to being able to get a moderate for $20-25 a night more than that value resort rate.
Yep, that exactly. I'll be offsite, unless POP or Movies with an AP discount wind up coming within $10 of my offsite options. Which can actually happen - it's happening for SW:GE opening weekend. But I'm not counting on it in April!

@Keels I’d be up for a room at Pop from 4/16-4/20.
Right now I have a preferred room booked there and the price just seems crazy. I’m up for your rate in a standard view room.

You can sign me up for a room at Pop 4/16 to 4/20.

As another poster said its better than $200 at the All Stars

Thoughts?
I might do 4/16-4/20 at Pop. Would we have to pay in advance or on site?

Hey, thanks to everyone who answered my question about the 10k course.

I knew that it was purely a Star Wars themed race, but I wasn't sure if it was the same path as the Marathon weekend and Princess weekends 10k course. I also heard about the Ewok battle for the half marathon and was trying to figure out if they did anything similarly cool and thematic for the 10k course.

Thanks again!

Themes have been announced for Rival Run Weekend. This gives me A New Hope for the event! I'm also now tempted by the 5k where I typically have not been.

https://www.starwars.com/news/rundi...mwdO4XmRemBOcZR0Hwcc09pbmLJu9mmz6JNwOHz4CPQ3Y
TL;DR:
  • Star Wars Rival Run 5KDarth Maul & Ahsoka Tano
  • Star Wars Rival Run 10K — Princess Leia & stormtroopers
  • Star Wars Rival Run Half Marathon — Darth Vader & Yoda
  • Star Wars Rival Run Challenge — TIE fighter & X-wing
  • runDisney Kids Races — R2-D2 & Jawas

My thoughts:

5K: The reaction to this one will be very interesting. I think it will be very, very split. It's an interesting decision to put a very popular, but also relatively unknown character to most Star Wars fans on a race medal especially opposite Darth Maul, whom I don't think Ahsoka Tano ever confronted in The Clone Wars series although I should be corrected if I'm wrong. As for me, I'm disappointed. I would rather see Maul on a medal with Qui-Gon and/or Obi-Wan as that remains one of the best lightsaber duels in the franchise.

10K: Yet another stormtrooper themed medal. I have run Star Wars challenge races in 2015, 2016, 2017 (twice), 2018 (all 3 races), and soon 2020. All except 2016 featured a stormtrooper on one of the medals and 2018 featured two, albeit different ones. Enough with stromtrooper medals already. Now, putting Princess Leia as the Light Side on this medal is actually really awesome. Overall, it's a net win for me because of Leia and as much as I'm getting tired of stormtroopers on medals, they do have a track record of nicely done stormtrooper medals.

Half: Mixed feelings, but I definitely lean positive. My disappointment is that they've done this before. The 2015 Inaugural Rebel Challenge was a spinner medal with Yoda on one side and Darth Vader on the other. Now that said, I'm completely fine with Yoda and Vader as the characters chosen for this since they are the iconic light side and dark side characters in Star Wars and my favorite characters on each side of that dichotomy. Plus, I can at least hope that they will make Yoda and Vader much bigger than they were on the 2015 Rebel Challenge medal. So for now, I like it. A disappointing medal might change my mind.

Challenge: Mostly positive. While I really love the 2016 Light Side 10K X-Wing medal, that also means I already have an X-Wing medal. But I do not have a TIE Fighter medal, loved the Dark Side TIE Fighter medal, and I think this medal could be really incredible because of the theme.

Aside from the 5K medal, I like the rival themes they chose. They are very are appropriate for a race anniversary year.

TIE Fighter-X-Wing Challenge?!?!?! Be still my cold, dark, Sith heart!!!

Yes! Yes! Yes! The only thing I would've liked a little better, maybe was some way to feature the Imperial Star Destroyer. They maybe could've paired it with the Tantive IV? Regardless, I'm stoked by the return to favor of the ships.

My thoughts:

5K: The reaction to this one will be very interesting. I think it will be very, very split. It's an interesting decision to put a very popular, but also relatively unknown character to most Star Wars fans on a race medal especially opposite Darth Maul, whom I don't think Ahsoka Tano ever confronted in The Clone Wars series although I should be corrected if I'm wrong. As for me, I'm disappointed. I would rather see Maul on a medal with Qui-Gon and/or Obi-Wan as that remains one of the best lightsaber duels in the franchise.

I can't remember right off hand whether they physically dueled directly, but Ahsoka and Darth Maul crossed paths in Star Wars Rebels with Maul trying to surreptitiously lead Ezra down a darker path while Ahsoka worked to keep him focused on the light. While it is a less obvious character, I see it as a nice way to test out insertion of a major but non-cinematic character into the mix. The 5k is a good, low-risk place to experiment. As I said, it's got me thinking about adding the 5k now.

10K: Yet another stormtrooper themed medal. I have run Star Wars challenge races in 2015, 2016, 2017 (twice), 2018 (all 3 races), and soon 2020. All except 2016 featured a stormtrooper on one of the medals and 2018 featured two, albeit different ones. Enough with stromtrooper medals already. Now, putting Princess Leia as the Light Side on this medal is actually really awesome. Overall, it's a net win for me because of Leia and as much as I'm getting tired of stormtroopers on medals, they do have a track record of nicely done stormtrooper medals.

Half: Mixed feelings, but I definitely lean positive. My disappointment is that they've done this before. The 2015 Inaugural Rebel Challenge was a spinner medal with Yoda on one side and Darth Vader on the other. Now that said, I'm completely fine with Yoda and Vader as the characters chosen for this since they are the iconic light side and dark side characters in Star Wars and my favorite characters on each side of that dichotomy. Plus, I can at least hope that they will make Yoda and Vader much bigger than they were on the 2015 Rebel Challenge medal. So for now, I like it. A disappointing medal might change my mind.

The last 2-3 race weekends have felt extremely focused on the new movies. Understandably so, but I find the return to the original trilogy for the majority of the medals to be refreshing and exciting.

Also, buried at the end of the article was a snippet that the Kessel Run medal is going to be a redesigned Millennium Falcon, in honor of the 5th anniversary. I'm a little nervous about that one. The current medal is so good, there's a lot of room to mess it up.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!