Official 2020 Star Wars Rival Run Weekend - CANCELED

Does anyone know which resorts are the host resorts? Considering doing this because it falls over my kids spring break next year. First half marathon since 2015

Count me in! 2019 was my first onsite RunDisney race and I learned so much. Didn't run the race I wanted to for various reasons but between all this time to prepare and what I learned in 2019, I'm looking forward to having the success I plan for!
I made so many mistakes in training for my first race ever, the 2011 Disneyland Half, and then compounded all those mistakes by starting way too fast in my first race and nearly derailing the entire thing. My first race experience was not very fun, but rather something I had to endure. Fortunately for me, it wasn't so miserable as to make me never run again, so I signed up again for the 2012 Disneyland Half and the 2012 Wine & Dine Half to earn the Coast to Coast. I figured that even though running wasn't fun for me, I could tolerate the training two more times to earn the Coast to Coast medal and then be done with it. Only in an effort to apply the lessons I learned from that first race, I discovered that races could actually be fun. Learning to enjoy running took longer and remains a work in progress, but that spurred me on to multi race weekend challenges and eventually my first marathon as part of my first Dopey.

After a lot of discussion we made our room reservations so we are in for 2020 Challenge. I wasn’t sure I wanted to run another Half but it’s amazing how quickly DH talked me into it! :rotfl:
Just be careful. Star Wars race challenges became a gateway for me that eventually spurred me on to running the marathon. :rotfl2:

Just be careful. Star Wars race challenges became a gateway for me that eventually spurred me on to running the marathon. :rotfl2:

That was the long discussion! DH wants to try Dopey and we needed a decision of which Star Wars year to skip. So it’s Star Wars 2020 for the 5th year and Dopey 2021 for him. His sweet talking didn’t work on me for a marathon even when he tossed in the Castaway Cay Challenge Cruise. I’ll run the 10K and cheer him on for the rest.

So yes! Star Wars Challenge can lead to delusions of marathons. :rolleyes1

Last edited:
That was the long discussion! DH wants to try Dopey and we needed a decision of which Star Wars year to skip. So it’s Star Wars 2020 for the 5th year and Dopey 2021 for him. His sweet talking didn’t work on me for a marathon even when he tossed in the Castaway Cay Challenge Cruise. I’ll run the 10K and cheer him on for the rest.

So yes! Star Wars Challenge can lead to delusions of marathons. :rolleyes1
They definitely do. I once told my little sister that if she ever ran the WDW Marathon, I would fly out to run the half the same weekend. Eventually she did run the WDW Marathon. Only it was Dopey and both of us ran it for our first marathon despite me saying for years that I never wanted to run a marathon. Which was entirely true then.

If someone decides they never want to run a marathon, I completely understand that. As much as I truly enjoyed my first marathon, I also completely believe that I enjoyed it in large part because I knew that I wanted to run the marathon when the timing was right for me.

Joining in on the fun. Have done Princess and Wine & Dine in the past, but switching to Star Wars since our anniversary is April 15th, and we tend to prefer April weather to February weather. I'm thinking of doing the 5K & 10K and skipping the challenge/HM as I am still recovering from a hip injury I sustained while training for the Fairy Tale Challenge in 2018. Most likely will be staying at POR if we can get a reservation once the 2020 Armed Forces Salute discount is released.

Learning about RD through Star Wars weekend is exactly how it starts. After I ran it in 2018 I knew I'd have to do the Marathon next, which I did this year, and signed up for Dopey next year. Completely agree
2015 Star Wars Half was my 4th half marathon, but the thought of Star Wars medals if I ran the challenge proved enticing enough that I wanted to try it. My confidence grew and the eventually the Kessel Run with Coast to Coast caused me to challenge myself in ways I never before even considered doing as a runner. I discovered that the impossible could be possible if I wanted it enough to work for it.

Looks like I’m out now cause Megacon is the same weekend and my friend who was going to run attends that annually so she’s out plus I’m being transferred at work and registration is my second week at my new location so I’m thinking of canceling my time off requests

*sigh* I'm worried I'm not going to be able to register in time. The Wine n Dine Race has completely sold out 2 months after registration opened. With Star Wars being a 5th anniversary race, and the first since Galaxy's Edge opens, I fear all races and challenges will be long gone in a matter of a few weeks...

*sigh* I'm worried I'm not going to be able to register in time. The Wine n Dine Race has completely sold out 2 months after registration opened. With Star Wars being a 5th anniversary race, and the first since Galaxy's Edge opens, I fear all races and challenges will be long gone in a matter of a few weeks...
I'm expecting it to sell out very fast, like to the point that I think I'll have to be at a computer when it opens up. Not only is it the first race to go through Galaxy's Edge, I'm expecting some percentage to sign up as part of their first visit to GE (I'm more than likely going to CA later this year but there's a chance I pass and make this my first GE trip).

On top of that, I think I mentioned this in the other thread but my hunch is that a lot of people passed on Rival Run this year with the intention to jump in for 2020, so yeah, unfortunately if you want in on this you should register as soon as it opens.

I'm expecting it to sell out very fast, like to the point that I think I'll have to be at a computer when it opens up. Not only is it the first race to go through Galaxy's Edge, I'm expecting some percentage to sign up as part of their first visit to GE (I'm more than likely going to CA later this year but there's a chance I pass and make this my first GE trip).

On top of that, I think I mentioned this in the other thread but my hunch is that a lot of people passed on Rival Run this year with the intention to jump in for 2020, so yeah, unfortunately if you want in on this you should register as soon as it opens.
It's also an anniversary year so that will likely cause it to sell out faster.

I personally don't think it will go through GE, but I am frequently wrong.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!